• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShadowGambit

I don't have a Dawnguard yet because I'm on PC.

But as I just made a Archery Mechanics Guide, Archery Mechanics Guide | Skyrim Forums , I would like to have some info from Dawnguard players about Crossbow mechanics.

Do we have Light and Heavy crossbows with Dawnguard? If yes, what are the differences in term of game mechanics?

Bethesda did a good job with the arrows following and arc, as they should. But in real life, bolts are going straight. Is that the case for crossbows in Skyrim, or do they use the same trajectories as arrows?

Does damage from bolts are calculated at the end of the damage formula, like with arrows, or they benefits from the multiplier?
Note that you should be under patch 1.6 to answer this question the best way, because with patch 1.5, arrows damage benefits from multiplier. But it was a mistake and changed back with patch 1.6.

Thank you guys

Valyn

Uhh, as of right now there are only two different crossbows, a dwarven crossbow, and just a regular crossbow. Crossbows DO benefit from sneak multipliers, and all archery perks. You can also bash, just like a bow too.

Chryss

another plus to the crossbow, you can walk around with it loaded. saves alot of time that way.

ShadowGambit

Valyn, are you under patch 1.5 or 1.6?

ShadowGambit

Hummm...

What are the base damage for the Dwarven corssbow and the regular crossbow?

Also, what is the base damage for a bolt?

Anyway, if the bolt damage is multiplied too, then Crossbow is OP compares to bow.

Doesn't look like much at first, but when your base damage is multiplied by x100 at the end, that makes a HUGE difference. For example, my elven bow has 12 base damage. But with Overdraw 5/5, smithing, smithing potion, enchanted gear and Archery potion, my final damage is around 1200, WITHOUT sneak multiplier.

That also means that a bolt will be multiplied the same way, pretty much.

ShadowGambit

Because to "one hit everything" there are a lot of components in it:

You have to have 100 Alchemy, 100 Enchanting, 100 smithing, 100 archery and at least 40 in sneak. You have to spend at least 20 perks to get this. If you are level 50, that's nearly HALF of your perks points (and TIME spend playing also) leveling those skills to get to that end.

One-handed and Two weapon would do a SLIGHTLY better damage, but that because you HAVE TO BE UP CLOSE to do that damage. That's ok, so the 3 combat method do about the same amount of damage, providing that in close combat you will get more damage but you will be hit much more often too.

Now with the bolt working like this, as it does with arrows in patch 1.5, is that even the lowest combination bow+arrows makes an EXCESSIVE amount of damage and can be equivalent to the some of the highest tier two-Handed weapon in damage output. It surpasses any one-handed weapon

I tested that with patch 1.5. with the same set-up, using Daedric arrows (24 base damage) and my faithful Elven bow (12 base damage) then you are doing nearly 50% more damage.

Because of this increase, then it also means that you DON'T have to put the same effort to get the same amount of damage. That unbalanced the game, therefore making the crossbow (and the bow in patch 1.5) overpowered compares to the 2 other combat styles

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts