• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bumfs

Hey guys,

So obviously healing potions are extremely useful in Skyrim, and when I find myself running low, I want to be able to create decent ones with ease!

What it the best way to create them? Obviously with alchemy, but does this mean I should invest my time into leveling up alchemy?

If so, what are fast ways of doing so? Can anyone point me to an alchemy guide?

Thank you for reading!

chelz0r

Gather all the ingredients you come across. Eat one of each to learn the first of the four effects, this alone will level your alchemy.

Then combine two that have coinciding effects to make a potion for that effect and learn other effects in the process. This will level your alchemy some more. Rinse and repeat many times.

For restore health make a combo of any two of these:
Garlic,
Juniper Berries,
Luna Moth Wing,
Namira's Rot,
Nordic Barnacle,
Vampire Dust

You can add a third ingredient, that will add another effect to the potion which is unpredictable. I've managed to make stuff that's a combo of potion and poison in one :) I usually sell those, extra potions are an easy way to make money, they weigh 0.5 pounds but can bring up to hundreds of septims each.

The more potions you make, the better you are at alchemy and your mixtures are stronger + plus more expensive for selling.

Bumfs

Thank you, I already do this and I also randomly combine ingredients to discover new effects.

Any fast leveling techniques though? Maybe certain locations that are rich in ingredients which allows me to create lots of potions fast?

redrkt

Premium Member
What I usually do is go to all the vendors, buy all their ingredients, then sell them potions that I have either extra of or don't need, that way I get things I need, get rid of stuff I don't and still have my gold.

chelz0r

Pardon moi, the list above is for regenerate health (faster for x amount of seconds).

Restore health ingredients are:
Blisterworth,
Blue Dartwing,
Blue Mountain Flower,
Butterfly Wing,
Charred Skeever Hide,
Daedra Heart,
Eye of Sabre Cat,
Imp Stool,
Swamp Fungal Pod,
Wheat

Any combo of the above will give you a potion for mid-battle.

Pete

I think the Daedra Heart is too valuable for potions. They're priceless if your going to smith daedric weapons.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
These can fortify your health
Bear claws
Blue mountion flower
Wheat
Combine them if you don't have restore health ingredients

chelz0r

True. I don't bother with mixing restore health, there are way too many lying around everywhere you go I always have a load of unused ones in inventory.

Bumfs, buy spell tomes for Healing and Fast Healing. It's a lot easier to rely on restoration spells than potions. Just equip to left hand and cast mid-battle while dodging the enemy.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
True. I don't bother with mixing restore health, there are way too many lying around everywhere you go I always have a load of unused ones in inventory.

Bumfs, buy spell tomes for Healing and Fast Healing. It's a lot easier to rely on restoration spells than potions. Just equip to left hand and cast mid-battle while dodging the enemy.
Well then these fortify restoration magic
Abecean longfin
Cyrodilic spadetail
Saltpile
Small antlers
Small pearls

Bumfs

Thank you everyone for your extremely helpful advice, especially chelz0r!

So you think I should spend more time leveling restoration instead? I find myself using all my health potions very quickly. I use two handed weapons, which means I can only use healing spells when I'm not attacking which is quite difficult, meaning my only way of healing mid-battle is healing potions.

Well I guess I'll try and make lots of health potions with alchemy, for now.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Any fast leveling techniques though? Maybe certain locations that are rich in ingredients which allows me to create lots of potions fast?

Create a huge stock of ingredients. Every time you complete an adventure, head to your favored home and dump them all in one area. For example, on the satchel on the Alchemy table in Breezehome. After you have a crapload, add them all to your inventory, put on any items that increase the strength of potions created, and create a CRAPTON of potions. Even if it's a worthless potion you won't use, it will increase your level.

Pick a place to store potions that you don't need right away or will sell later. I like to use the chest in the Breezehome Alchemy room on the bookshelf.

My favorite places to collect ingredients are the Reach (around Markarth), the plains around Whiterun (mainly to the West), and the swampy area south of Windhelm.
The Reach has Juniper berries EVERYWHERE, quite a number of mountain flowers, and lots of mudcrabs to collect chitin from (and petty souls).
The Whiterun plains have a lot of mountain flowers, lavender, mudcrabs, a small place with lots of bees, and lots of butterflies. At night, you can collect 2-3 times as many torchbugs and luna moths than butterflies. There is also a small patch of trees with around eight bees flying around.
The area south of Windhelm has Jazbay growing wild, plenty of mountain flowers (more than the Reach), lots of dragonflies, and creep clusters.

The marshy area Southeast of Solitude has lots of mudcrabs, the occasional nirnroot, and lots of swamp fungi. You may also find the occasional spiky grass pod, nordic barnacle, and guppy-like fish.

Along the coast of the sea to the north, you can find plenty of barnacles and spiky grass pods, as well as some nirnroot.

The Reach has lots of bears, so plenty of bear claws there. There also seems to be more deer here, so large and small antlers aplenty. Apparently, you can also find beehives around the Reach, but I normally only find them in certain areas. Beehives usually offer a bee, honeycomb, and beehive husk.

The other thing you could do is break into alchemy shops at night through the backdoor.

Mountain flowers can be found nearly anywhere. They are rather worthless, so they're great for making potions.

I think the Daedra Heart is too valuable for potions. They're priceless if your going to smith daedric weapons.

I agree for the fact that I've not created a potion that I can use or sell worth the same or more than the Deadra heart alone.

Thank you everyone for your extremely helpful advice, especially chelz0r!

So you think I should spend more time leveling restoration instead? I find myself using all my health potions very quickly. I use two handed weapons, which means I can only use healing spells when I'm not attacking which is quite difficult, meaning my only way of healing mid-battle is healing potions.

Well I guess I'll try and make lots of health potions with alchemy, for now.

Personally, I think you should work on Alchemy. It offers gold and useful potions for all activities. Restoration is much more limited. Switching from a slow, heavy weapon to a spell may also be plenty of time to get yourself killed. Clicking a potion happens at a pause menu, and the result is instant. A spell isn't.

chelz0r

That's why I don't do two handed weapons, too cumbersome. They do more damage per single strike, but less damage per second. With a smaller sword you can slash 5 times in the time it takes you to do one strike with a massive one. If you account for all the misses you're bound to make with a heavy weapon plus slower movement speed, it just leaves you more exposed to receive damage in the end without a healing spell in the other hand, or a second sword or a destruction spell for double damage.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The more a potion is worth, the faster it levels your alchemy.

The best potion ingredients for making major coin and leveling are Giant's Toe, Creep Cluster, and Wheat.

You can also get lots of gold just with Blue Butterfly Wing and Blue Mountain Flower. Gather these whenever possible! They're common and virtually everywhere. Blue Mountain Flowers seem more common to the north in the snowy regions.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Hey guys,

So obviously healing potions are extremely useful in Skyrim, and when I find myself running low, I want to be able to create decent ones with ease!

What it the best way to create them? Obviously with alchemy, but does this mean I should invest my time into leveling up alchemy?

If so, what are fast ways of doing so? Can anyone point me to an alchemy guide?

Thank you for reading!

You can find what ingredients can make what potions here......

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/alchemy-effects.4325/

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
If you walk from Helgen to Riverwood to Whiterun you should end up with at least 20+ blue mountain flowers. Fast travel to Windhelm and hit up the farms next to that for mass wheat. That's over 20+ restore health potions right there. Also if you go to Ustgrav (spelling) the place where you have to get the horn for the greybeards. There's tall rock columns next to that that seem to spawn never ending blue and yellow butted flys that keep filtering down to you. You get 20+ wing in little than 5 mins.

Using these locations I found these 3 ingredents the easiest and quickest to get in bulk for free.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts