PC Crashes to Desktop on saving

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

cybx

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! EASY! It requires no mod disabling, .inf changing, save deleting, NOTHING. I fixed it IN-GAME. This is what I did:
1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it)
2. Create a NEW save (through pause menu)
3. Type in player.kill
4. Load your latest save (the one that had CTD glitch)
5. Type in player.kill
6. Try saving (I usually just use quicksave)

Your save will most likely be fixed, it worked for me on first try.

I still getting the CTD when saving a new save, or after using player.kill itscrash automatically. It seem that i cant do these steps :sadface: im getting CTD even when fast travel, area transition, another load games ... Even whe it CTD i get the tmp file on the savings on the save doc on the PC but doesnt appear on the in game files to load :sadface:

NEED HELP!

james3214

I can confirm that this method works. As he said, worked for me on first try as well.

how do you do the last step of saving? your dead so the save option isn't clickable in the pause menu. please help me i'm stuck in the dark brotherhood sanctuary and i every time i try to leave or save (any type of save) it crashes!! oh and what does CTD mean?

james3214

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! EASY! It requires no mod disabling, .inf changing, save deleting, NOTHING. I fixed it IN-GAME. This is what I did:
1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it)
3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

how do you do the last step of saving? your dead so the save option isn't clickable in the pause menu. please help me i'm stuck in the dark brotherhood sanctuary and every time i try to leave or save (any type of save) it crashes!! oh and what does CTD mean?

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

And what do you do if every save you have causes the crash?
Great solution, resolve a glitch that causes a CTD when you save, by making a save.
Except that every time I try and create a New Save as per step 2, the game crashes.

You could try console command "save" instead of saving from the menu
Tried it, that crashes it too.
At least save game does.
save by itself just gives missing parameter string, game not saved.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wonder if I start a new game from scratch and load that if it'll work.

Edit: tried starting a fresh character, saves alright at first, but crashes to desktop as soon as you start to follow the soldier; after the jumping out of the keep bit.

Is the new game crashing on save or you don't even have to save?

Must have been because I attempted the player.kill thing before the dragon stuff had finished, buggered the command enabler script and crashed the game.
I have now completely reinstalled skyrim and all the mods from scratch and made another new character, seems to be working, but the fix doesn't work for me because my old character had been set to essential, I will just have to start over sigh. Thanks.

FOODLEBOB

I also have the problem that it crashes whenever I change cells (areas), save manually, or the game auto-saves. And I tried that kill then save method. All it does is as soon as I kill myself in the corrupted save, it crashes to desktop. However it seems that a long ways back its working fine (which ensures that it is a save problem). Any Ideas beyond give up and return to that long ago point?

Gwaelaurien

I don't think this problem has anything to do with "Waking Nighmare" since I never had it until recently, after completing the whole game and DLCs and started a new game. I just started having this problem on a fresh new game. I was loading my mods a few at a time, made sure the game started with them loaded, once in a while I made a new save with them. Now it CTD when I try to save (any method). Going back to earliest "pure" game (no mods at all, not even DLCs) also CTD on save now. This is the second time I've gone through this! I started this new game because my previous new game started to have the same problem. I tried Ignacio's fix, but it didnt' work. How can I create a new save, when that's the very problem to begin with? It CTD when I save! Ppl speculate this is a game issue, not a PC issue, but does anyone actually know for sure? This is really upsetting especially since it's a new game, just out of Helgen, not yet gone to Riverwood. I have all official DLCs.
Also, renaming "tmp" saves to just "ess" consistently results in them being unusable. There's an endless loading screen (even though I have SSME which fixes that), and when I hit Ctrl Alt Del for Windows Startup it says Skyrim is "not responding" forcing me to shut down. Seems like ANY old character I load and try to save it always CTD.

mabdiaz

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

BIG THANKS! Worked for me!

Mkchief34

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

I have this problem, and for a while, it kept working properly. But when I entered the SKyforge area, it CTDS when saving. Any help? I am trying this method as we speak.

PaiPai

I don't have a clue what CTD is...And how this: Load an older save, type player.kill etc. method works...can Someone explain this to me please?

Asgalon

Can someone help me pls!!!

My Skyrim crashes every time I try to save, I have been searching a lot, but only find this "load older save, then use consol to kill your self" fix. It did work for the first time, but then I closed Skyrim, and when reloaded the "fixed" save I crashed again... I am using 40 mods or so, I never had this issue before.

Fieldburn

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

Okey, i just now created an account here, and for one reason only. To say bloody thank you, i couldn't save anywhere, first i thought it was Wyrmstooths fault but when i tried to play in skyrim it kept crashing. But your tip, my good sir, fluffing saved my balls. Just know that three years later this one post is still saving computer screens. May Azura guide you!

dmvanloon

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

Also just signed up to affirm that this just saved my 50+ hour, ~50 mod save. Was spared having to go through all of the mods one by one by this fix.

Just remember to hit Escape while dying in step 3 and loading your broken save from the menu before the game autoloads!

EDIT: Also, writing from 2019!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts