Conjuration - A short instruction on how to make the most of your summons

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Was this any good?

• Total voters

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
About this guide:

I have been using a lot of conjuration in Skyrim since I really dislike followers and unless I need them for specific quest or I am making a Dwemer scrap metal run I leave them behind, but having a little help is still extremely nice and I have found that the different summons have different uses that they are ideal for. So I decided I would release this guide on them. I will include a short section on necromancy, but personally I don’t really use it so I won’t go into too much detail with it, but I will explain a little bit about how to maximize its usefulness. I will go through each summon one by one, level tier by tier, and explain the ideal usage for each. Please note that while I do now have Dawnguard and Dragonborn I have yet to fully test out their summons. So please allow time for me to add onto them as I can. This will be a work in progress for a little while.

Novice:

Familiar: This little guy is not the most useful thing you have, but he will get you to Apprentice level spells easy enough. I personally use this as an opener until I have a body or two and then stick to using Raise Zombie until I get to Apprentice level spells. It just isn’t good for a lengthy fight at any level. Its health is too limited, damage too low, and has to get up close to fight. It can’t even tank for you effectively. Use it to make bodies then start raising the dead until you get to Apprentice level summons.

Apprentice:

Flame Atronach: This is one hot lady. I mean literally hot, she’s on fire. Bad puns aside this here is your first useful summon in my opinion. She isn’t a complicated summon in lines of attacks. She floats and seems to skate around using flames as she throws Firebolts at the enemy, and has a Flame Cloak on during combat. When she gets up close to the enemy she slaps them and burns them with her Flame Cloak. She doesn’t have much health, but she can do some damage without getting close. You’ll be using her for range until you got your hands on the Expert level Storm Atronach. She is also immune to fire.

Flaming Familiar: This looks the same as the useless Novice level Familiar except it is made of fire, but that’s where the similarities end. This spell summons a flaming wolf for 6 seconds, who then tracks down and bites the nearest target before exploding for a reasonable amount of fire damage to anything nearby upon death or at the end of its duration. This guy is cheap to summon and works exactly like a fireball with a tracking system and has the longest ranged summon distance without perks, not to mention it is cheap to summon and will sky rocket your leveling once you can cast it effectively. Treat this more like a fire and forget Destruction Spell rather than a conventional summon. I suggest actually getting this at level 1. So if you want a good solid Conjuration Mage exit Helgen, and travel north to Dawnstar, then travel west along the coast to High Gate Ruins. Here you will meet a nice Nord mage named Anska, she will give you a quest in which you help her retrieve a scroll, after battling a powerful Dragon Priest named Vokun -who will be wearing a mask with a 20% spell cost reduction to Conjuration, Alteration, and Illusion-, she will teach you this invaluable spell.

Boneman: This here is a spell I have found to be pathetically useless unless being used as an early game dragon killer when Flame Atronach is possibly going to be ineffective. For necromancers this guy makes use of the necromancy perks. So consider this guy for that reason, but don't rely on him much since his use wears out quickly.

Adept:

Frost Atronach: This is your first melee tank. I have never seen frosty the angry snowman use a ranged attack, but damn does he have health. This guy stabs and beats the enemy to death with the giant frosty spikes he has for hands while he blocks everything from getting to you. He makes a great tank and so long as you replace him he will be your best friend in the whole wide world through the later levels of the Adept tier or whenever you need a tank or an extra melee user. You will be using him for all your tanking needs until you reach the Expert spells. He is also immune to frost damage if you find you need it.

Expert:

Dremora Lord: This guy knows how to tank, knows how to deal damage, and is going to completely replace everything else you may summon unless you need a ranged user. This guy packs a punch and can take it. Wearing daedric armor and having a big ol’ Daedric Greatsword of the Inferno he truly is a force to be reckoned with. Just drop him in front of you and watch as he sniffs out weakness and kills virtually everything in his path. Think of him as your new tank and make sure you keep him marked as a favorite if not hot-keyed. You will likely be using him a lot. As a nice plus he also has actual combat dialogue and taunts as he fights. I use even after I get the Master spells.

Storm Atronach: This is your ranged user from here on out. He fires lightning bolts at the enemies and I think I have seen in act as chain lightning even. He also seems to have somekind of shock wave he uses in melee, but basically this is your dragon killer. Just summon him and let him snipe out the dragon while it’s in air with his pin point precision. He is also good when going up against a place like a fort where enemies are on the walls or grouped together, as he can hit them all at once as well as do some wall clearing without needing to climb the stairs to get to them. He has some kind of electric cloak spell going on and has complete shock immunity.

Master:

Thralls: These are all identical to their lower level equivalents except they don’t wear out, are more powerful, and seem to have more attacks at their exposal. I prefer to use Storm Thralls when outside so they can help me will anything I may come across, point out enemies early, and to alert me of dragons. Flame Thralls are sometimes nice for indoors where the Storm and Frost Thralls get stuck in doorways due to being so big and bulky. They are expensive, but nice to keep running since they can assist you and often begin fighting before you yourself can begin the fight.

Necromancy:

I personally don’t use much necromancy, but I did experiment with it enough to learn about how to make the most use of the undead. The key here is to know what you can and cannot reanimate with your spell, and always revive the strongest body you can, make sure you kill the first thing you can in each fight and use that to help you make bodies as you work up to the strongest enemy in the group that you can resurrect. Every 25 levels grab that next spell so that you can keep bringing back the dead as well as raise stronger minions. Dead Thralls can act as followers and pack mules, but must be a playable race, elder, or Dremora. Also all non-Thralls will turn to ash upon death or after the spell wears off, preventing reuse of the same body. You also can not use bodies without a head as minions.

Before I go:

I am glad I managed to release a new guide as school has eaten all my time and I will try to have more out soon. Please make suggestions or ask any questions you may have and I will try to answer them. I would also like to thank those who have commented on my other guides, I appreciate the support.

Hannah

Well written very good guide new players to the conjuration aspect of the game. I like that you added the Flame Familiar, level 1 is a little extreme I'd bring a follower a durable one at that. Anska is a fire wielding crazy nord and her fireballs know no friends.
anska.jpg
I think its also worth saying that the Necromancer's Amulet is worth selling and looting off the murder's corpse with the quest: Blood on the Ice in Windhelm.

Squirrel_killer-

Well written very good guide new players to the conjuration aspect of the game. I like that you added the Flame Familiar, level 1 is a little extreme I'd bring a follower a durable one at that. Anska is a fire wielding crazy nord and her fireballs know no friends.
View attachment 2311
I think its also worth saying that the Necromancer's Amulet is worth selling and looting off the murder's corpse with the quest: Blood on the Ice in Windhelm.
I have personally ran the Scroll for Anska quest straight out of Helgen on a character who did not use weapons or destruction magic. So it is doable, and rather easy I found, even on master.

Hannah

I have personally ran the Scroll for Anska quest straight out of Helgen on a character who did not use weapons or destruction magic. So it is doable, and rather easy I found, even on master.

People may not be as skilled as you. I did not mean to say it would be impossible but that some new players may go in blind and find themselves against a Dragon Priest that is beyond their skill.

Also dragon priests can take control over your summoned creature. I've had that happen and it did not end well.

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
A very good short guide. I've only just started getting into conjuration myself, with my Breton character. I might mention that Frost atronachs are very handy for drawing enemies towards them and therefore useful if you prefer ranged attacks to melee. Even though it's adapt he's worth getting up to the college quickly and learning it, all within the first 5 levels.

Of course Dremoras make him obsolete :)

Squirrel_killer-

People may not be as skilled as you. I did not mean to say it would be impossible but that some new players may go in blind and find themselves against a Dragon Priest that is beyond their skill.

Also dragon priests can take control over your summoned creature. I've had that happen and it did not end well.
Good point. I may put in a small guide for fighting Vokun at level 1 when I have time.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
This is a good guide, Dremora can't be taken over by Dragon Priests. If they could we mages would be in trouble.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Good guide however I disagree with you on 1 perspective.Yet first you forgot to mention something , I'm going to write it down so you can(if you want) put it in your guide

The flaming familiar has an unique combo with frost spells.I don't know about blizzard(master level) , but ice storm does work well with the flaming familiar.If you cast the flaming familiar in the direction of the target , then right after it the ice storm , it will detonate the fire dawg and the explosion deals HUGE damage , while burning AND freezing all oponents nearby.

The perspective I said I disagree with you is about necromancy.It may look useless at lower levels , but as you proceed , it will get amazing.The perks are always useful , especialy the one that gives your undead 100 bonus health and the one that alows you to wear 2 at once.Once you get deep into conjuration you can have 2 dead thralls that will live permanently.IMO this is better then 2 element thralls since the death thralls can have the bodies of bosses as well as their spells and items.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Necromancy just breaks the game, I gave a Bandit Chief I found in Uttering Hills Cave and Ghunzul (named Bandit Chief, found at Cracked Tusk Keep) each a Elven Sword absorb health (14) and a forsworn dword absorb health (14) and they destroy everything. I gave Ghunzul the Sandguine Rose and a Elven Bow of Freezing and the Bandit Chief a staff of Summon Frost Atronach and a Dwarven Bow of the Blaze. They slaughter Giants at master, Even Dragon Priests.

Squirrel_killer-

Good guide however I disagree with you on 1 perspective.Yet first you forgot to mention something , I'm going to write it down so you can(if you want) put it in your guide

The flaming familiar has an unique combo with frost spells.I don't know about blizzard(master level) , but ice storm does work well with the flaming familiar.If you cast the flaming familiar in the direction of the target , then right after it the ice storm , it will detonate the fire dawg and the explosion deals HUGE damage , while burning AND freezing all oponents nearby.
I was unaware of this effect and will test it thoroughly before I post anything on it.

The perspective I said I disagree with you is about necromancy.It may look useless at lower levels , but as you proceed , it will get amazing.The perks are always useful , especialy the one that gives your undead 100 bonus health and the one that alows you to wear 2 at once.Once you get deep into conjuration you can have 2 dead thralls that will live permanently.IMO this is better then 2 element thralls since the death thralls can have the bodies of bosses as well as their spells and items.
I never said it was useless, I just said I don't use it as much. I have personally used undead at the higher levels and more times than not they have been proven to be less flexible. Many of the good bosses become obsolete since anything over level 40 will be unaffected. For example Dremora Markynaz is the highest level of Dremora you can affect, where as Dremora Valkynaz is what you fight at higher levels (46+). All Arch Mages are unaffected by Dead Thrall, as well as anything that is scaled with your level past 40 or has a set level about 40. Dead Thrall caps out at level 40 for many enemies, this is actually quite disappointing at higher levels.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Dremora is neither an antronach nor an undead so please don't speak about it as it is.

I was talking about the element thralls versus the necromancy thralls.You can have 2 element thralls with the last perk , but you can have 2 dead thralls with staffs that make elemental thralls.Combine this with a companion that also have a staff and you got yourself a big party.

EleanorUnicorn

I just love the Dremora Lord's taunts at the enemies. A deer bounces past, I shoot it in the rear with an arrow, then suddenly he roars

"I SMELL WEAKNESS.. MWAHAHAHAHAAA! A CHALLENGER IS NEAR!!" *runs after deer* "I HONOUR MY LORD.. BY DESTROYYYYING YOOOU!!!! I WILL FEAST ON YOUR HEART!!!!" *eventually catches and decapitates deer* "THERE COULD BE NO OTHER END..."

What a hero :D

Squirrel_killer-

Dremora is neither an antronach nor an undead so please don't speak about it as it is.

I was talking about the element thralls versus the necromancy thralls.You can have 2 element thralls with the last perk , but you can have 2 dead thralls with staffs that make elemental thralls.Combine this with a companion that also have a staff and you got yourself a big party.
Dremora can be brought back as a Dead Thrall since it is labled as an NPC. Other Deadra cannot I was purely pointing this out, and I was also talking about Dead Thralls vs Elementals. They have died countless times on me and often have not paid off in the the long run. After level 40 many enemies cannot be brought back as I stated, necromancy caps off at level 40 this cannot be disputed as it is due to game mechanics.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Yeah I have Jenessa, Ghunzul, and my Bandit Chief equipped all with Staffs of Summon Frost Atronach and it's funt to wtch them dismember a Giant camp in 60 seconds on Master.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Yeah you don't mess with the Dremora Lord, I was testing out the bound bow on him... I was killed after being chased by him but being the Mage invested in magic and health you can only sprint away for a few short seconds and he never tires.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Yeah you don't mess with the Dremora Lord, I was testing out the bound bow on him... I was killed after being chased by him but being the Mage invested in magic and health you can only sprint away for a few short seconds and he never tires.

Being a Mage invested in nothing in Magicka and I fling Frost Spells in one hand and Restoration spells in the other. I'm too lazy to Mage Armor and I don't invest in Alteration. Being a Necromancer and my total party is a Bandit Chief I found in Uttering Hills Cave and Ghunzul (named Bandit Chief) and I them dual wielding and they destroy everything in front of them. I set them loose on Bleakwind Basin and they dismembered the Giants in about 20 seconds and the Mammoths in about 50. I also gave them Staffs of Summon Frost Atronach, nothing can stop them, I tell you, Dead Thrall breaks the game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts