Childhood Movies that you Understand better as an Adult

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hime

The Mighty Lurk Queen
I'm sure most people watched movies as a kid and later came back to them when they grew up. Some end up being quite a disappointment, since they once enjoyed simplicity before. I mean, that's mainly why channels on youtube like Nostagia Critic and such have popped up. But some movies are timeless, transcending age demographics and allowing families to have something to watch together and really enjoy no matter who it is. With Star Wars- the Force Awakened released, I'm sure many of my fellow forum-goers have known this feeling, since most probably had to keep the hype by rewatching the old movies. If you find a movie you once love and still do, post it in this thread and tell us why you believe it's still good. Please be mindful of obvious spoilers and hide them promptly, with what movie you're talking about clearly written. I'm sure many a fan will thank you, mainly those of the SW fandom.

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
http://www.peanutsmovie.com/

I don't know what else to say but I'm a huuuuuuuge Peanuts fan.

here's a very short list of some things I like about the movie:

1. The animation is amazing :eek:

2. Snoopy is funny af, he pops in and out of places, and he's frantic but really funny

3. It's a lot like the original comics and the old specials just with a new, modern-ish look. (they went so far that the kids used typewriters and landlines, yes TYPEWRITERS) It's also a bit faster than the specials but a lot of the movies these days are super fast paced

Last edited:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Rocky. I saw the first Rocky as a kid and couldn't appreciate it. As an adult, it's one of my favorites with it's gritty drama.

Star Trek III. One of my least favorite Star Trek movies as a kid, I watched for the first time in several years as an adult and found new appreciation for it.

As for movies that have withstood the test of time, the one that most comes to mind is:

Transformers the Movie. No, not the hollywood bunk that's being called transformers nowadays, I mean the original animated version from 1986. Twas animation at it's finest, for kids and adults, with superb voice acting and fun 80's-style soundtrack. In this, the only true Transformers movie, good guys can actually die. To those who've not seen it and like good animation, I highly suggest you watch it. :beermug:

Benthos

Proud Mer
Death Becomes Her was a movie I used to love watching for how over the top insane the delivery and performance was but the plot and message actually made sense when I was older. The very question of eternal youth and even immortality in the hands of your average intellect certainly would get your mind wondering, it also brings up female rivalry, relationships (shallow ones in particular), revenge, as well as struggling to accept if not fight aging/mortality and more. It's very fun to watch, hilarious, and you can enjoy it with the lady.

sticky runes

The Last Unicorn - As a child I could not watch it all the way through. Once the unicorn leaves her forest and all the cute animals and pretty scenery, it gets kinda scary. But one day I decided to watch it in my late teens and Oh My God. The voice acting and dialogue are fantastic and the soundtrack is gorgeous. The ending still brings tears to my eyes.

Also those Harryhausen movies. Clash of the Titans and 7th Voyage of Sinbad. As a kid I just thought Wow those monsters are scary. But watching them now and understanding all the work that Ray Harryhausen put into giving those creatures life and animating them into the scene. He didn't have a huge team of modellers and animators and digital editors, he did most of the work by himself. Medusa and the Cyclops from those old movies still have more of an impact on me now than a lot of the CGI monsters we see in movies these days.

rz3300

I would have to say that most of the Disney movies of old have a significantly different meaning when you are an adult, and the tone that comes to my mind first is The Lion King. It probably has much more of a deep meaning to me now versus when I would have seen it as a kid. I could point to a few symbols and themes that I would have looked over.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts