PC Can't get dog follower... permanently?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

CreeDorofl

There must be a way to solve this via console but I've tried everything, I'm dead stuck.

I got a stray dog early (wasn't Barbas or the other special dog). It got lost. Now I can't buy a wardog from the guy in Markarth... "sorry, you already have an animal with you".

This feature of the game is basically locked from me unless I restart, and it's annoying me because I wanted to make a kind of "swarm" build where I can basically sit back and let my conjured creature, my companion, my dog, and my companion's conjured creature all harrass the enemy.

I found a link that says every player gets a unique RefID for his stray dog, and I found mine using the steps in this link: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Stray_Dog#Finding_the_stray_dog_after_losing_it.

But either it's not my dog or some other issue, because it doesn't follow me, and I can't initiate dialogue with it.

I tried forcing it to be a companion by using some other command I googled (basically add it to the potential follower faction, [addfac 19809 0], and make it like you [setrelationshiprank <actor> 4]) but again I can't talk to it in any way and it's not running after me. So what can I do?

EDIT: got it, somehow. I think I was trying to work with the wrong dog, or it somehow had to get reset. I went back to where I found him (see this video:
) and he was semi-hostile, kept growling and eventually attacked. I tried dismissing my companion and it was the same. Tried waiting 48 hours and got killed by a dragon on the way to him. Reloaded after the 48 hour wait, didn't see him in the spot.

The actual fix:
From console, I did save temp 1 to get the text file, ctrl+F stray dog twice to get his refID. He had a new refID this time, commands using the old refID gave errors. I guess he somehow resets if you wait several days, or reload from a save, or die and automatically restart.

used player.moveto [refID] to teleport to him, and when I talked to him... the game acted as if he were my follower because my dialogue choice was "Wait here" instead of "follow me" (and he wasn't following me around the map). So I told him to wait, then told him to follow me. Voila, he's now truly following me.

Hope this helps someone with the same irritating problem. I think the key is that something forced him to get a new ID. So try saving and manually reloading it, or dying and allowing the game to reload, or quitting entirely and restarting the program. Then see if the steps above don't work.

Sorry I cant help you

BUT

This sounds awesome "a kind of "swarm" build where I can basically sit back and let my conjured creature, my companion, my dog, and my companion's conjured creature all harrass the enemy."

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
I have had to use this fix before and it worked for me. Also, once when I tried adding a mod that edited Meeko it also made him get stuck as an undismissible follower. What I did to get Meeko to dismiss might also work if you still can't dismiss the stray dog. I killed Meeko, then targeted him in the console and resurrected him.*

*I know you said you resolved it but I figured I'd throw that out in case it was helpful to someone.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts