Can't Decide between Stormcloaks or Imperials...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

So what do you think?

• Stormcloaks

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Imperials

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

OrexxerO

True. Each ES game is pretty different and far removed from the one before. So. Yeah forget what I suggested ha. Doesn't make as much sense as it does for Mass Effect.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
So you rather be Tullius Bitch? And more importantly? The Thalmors Bitch? Who both treat you more like their Bitch then Ulfric ever does? If anything I found Ulfric to be more respectful towards my character then Tullius or anyone from the Thalmor especially.

The Thalmor? My character is the most wanted person on their list, because she stopped them from obtaining an artifact that would've have given them limitless power, and killed their best assassins and other members. No way she's a Thalmor b1tch after that.

And I don't remember Tullius being disrespectful. Even then, you don't swear loyalty to him, but to the empire. To fight for Ulfrich you have to swear undying loyalty to his cause. The Dragonborn is only under Tullius temporarily, and will obviously rise as someone of great importance within the empire.

Two Bears

Your right, I would be pissed lol. They should implement a similar system to Mass Effect where your decisions in one game can and do effect what happens in the others.

You mean all those choices that didn't really matter in the end? Yeah, TES should stay as far away from the Mass Effect style as possible.

OrexxerO

The Thalmor? My character is the most wanted person on their list, because she stopped them from obtaining an artifact that would've have given them limitless power, and killed their best assassins and other members. No way she's a Thalmor b1tch after that.

The thing is, a game like Skryim, while amazing, doesn't really treat your actions with the proper consequences. If it did, the Empire would get a note by their Thalmor overlords that one of their servants is being "uncooperative" and that they should be "corrected". The way the game plays however, the players actions don't really receive any tangible consequence. Also, you swear allegiance to Skyrim, not to Ulfric.
You mean all those choices that didn't really matter in the end? Yeah, TES should stay as far away from the Mass Effect style as possible.

Well, I ment I should of said, the way the Mass Effect style SHOULD have been. Where it did matter "in the end" where as, with the Elder Scrolls there really isn't ever an end, its kind of a different story told in each game about the world that you as a main player in that time period help shape. I also only played the first mass effect, didn't like it much, and didn't play the other two because of it.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
The thing is, a game like Skryim, while amazing, doesn't really treat your actions with the proper consequences. If it did, the Empire would get a note by their Thalmor overlords that one of their servants is being "uncooperative" and that they should be "corrected". The way the game plays however, the players actions don't really receive any tangible consequence. Also, you swear allegiance to Skyrim, not to Ulfric.

True. Skyrim has horrific writing, and none of your decisions really make a difference. Let's be honest, though. Even if they tried to "correct" the Dragonborn, it wouldn't end well them ;)

Oath to Stormcloaks:

"I do swear my blood and
honor to the service of Ulfric Stormcloak
Jarl of Windhelm and true High King of Skyrim.
As Talos is my witness, may this oath bind me
to death and beyond...
...even to my lord as to my fellow brothers
and sisters in arms.
All hail the Stormcloaks, the true sons
and daughters of Skyrim!"

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
You can quote it as much as you want, its a book designed to tarnish Ulfrics name and justify imperial treachery.
It's no more a book designed to tarnish Ulfric's name than a book that gives an accounting of the genocidal massacres at Srebrenica and Žepa during the Yugoslav Wars is book designed to tarnish Ratko Mladić's name. The fact that the truth casts Ulfric in a negative light and you're incapable of accepting it doesn't make it any less true and it doesn't magically make the author biased when the game refutes that notion and all you can produce are feeble easily refuted distortions of what the lore documents convey.
The game designers dont do something on accident, and it is no accident that author of the bear of markarth also wrote pro-forsworn book. And it is no accident that he justifies any murders the forsworn might have done as just and fair revenge.
One has to be totally delusional or incapable of understanding English to draw the conclusion that Arrianus Arius justifies anything the Forsworn do based on The "Madmen" of the Reach. Anyone who possesses more than a modicum of intelligence and English reading comprehension skills is capable of understanding that the book isn't pro-Forsworn and concludes that there is veracity to some of the negative attributions made regarding the Forsworn in prior texts.

You can ignore the quotes, which are lore and game content, as much as you want but it only further undermines your uninformed position that it isn't canon, and diminishes what little credibility you have (to the extent you have any at all) remaining regarding the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
What can I do except repeat when all you peple do is repeat all and same things over and over. Am I to write a new lore?
You effectively already have written your own lore by ignoring what the actual lore states and materially misrepresenting and distorting lore text in failed attempts to support your position. Repeating those errors doesn't make your claims correct anymore than repeated claims that Creationism is science and Evolution isn't real make those claims true.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
And a small edit:
Not only to spread slander and libel but also to justify the Imperial breach of promise to Ulfric about free worship in that city and subsequent imprisonment not only of Ulfric but of all who witnessed empire promising and breaking the given promise.
Imperial Breach of promise? God help me. First of all, the JARL OF MARKARTH asked Ulfric, not the Imperials. Secondly, Ulfric had gone against the White-Gold Concordat so the Imperials had no choice but to hand him over.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
It's funny how people start to make their own lore because the actual lore is against their leader.

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
What threat does US faces? Its rather isolated. But US still keeps a huge navy, army and airforce.
The United States maintains an (unsustainable) huge military to enforce its international policies and impose its will on the rest of the world, not to defend its borders. If all it cared about was defending its borders it could easily reduce its military by half and actually live within its means instead of selling never ending debt to balance its books but that's another story.

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
You seem to think the author is pro Empire or something, he doesn't actually speak highly of the Empire. In fact in his second book it has this listed. "Go back. Go back and tell your Empire that we will have our own kingdom again. And on that day, we will be the ones burying your dead in a land that is no longer yours."
Uh that's the book quoting something one of the Forsworn said. It speaks to nothing regarding what the author may or may not think of the Empire. He does use an academic approach by assuming that previous writings from the Empire about the Forsworn are victor's essays even if he discovers on his own that maybe they're not so much.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Uh that's the book quoting something one of the Forsworn said. It speaks to nothing regarding what the author may or may not think of the Empire. He does use an academic approach by assuming that previous writings from the Empire about the Forsworn are victor's essays even if he discovers on his own that maybe they're not so much.

That's the point, the author can hardly be called an Imperial propaganda writer if he's quoting Forsworn saying things about the Empire. He calls accounts written about them are nothing more than 'victor's essays' that isn't screaming love about the Empire with amazingly perfect light.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
It's funny how people start to make their own lore because the actual lore is against their leader.

Now you understand the nature of Stormcloak supporters.

It isnt a fabrication. A man is a Forsworn suporter. And he is expected to write an objective book about Ulfric who defeated his little friends?
Come on man you cant be serious.

IF you read the ongoing passage, yes you come up to that part which in detail describes slaughtering of anyone not suporting Ulfir (how quaint), and then all of a sudden city is full of people 20 years later, not just people who moved in as you claim, but older people, reachmen, suporters of Forsworn, Nepo etc..
I dont feel like repeating everything all over again, its 1:30 am here, I am going to sleep. read everything up, what you are asking has allready been talked about and went over. Even mage accepted it.

I accepted nothing. What I think on personal views, doesn't mean it's lore. I thought Ulfric had a thing with Galmar, doesn't make it lore. What I said was "I never said the author was neutral" You put those words in my mouth, unless you quote me saying "I accept it" you're mistaken.

And what I do accept, doesn't mean Dagmar does, nor anyone else for that matter. They all have their opinions and see things different, I would go for Dagmar's judgement over what I posted, since most of the arguments I posted I did while tired. There are probably many mistakes in many of my arguments, things I missed or didn't read, but I don't speak for everyone. The Bear of Markarth, I skimmed through that in-game book.

OrexxerO

True. Skyrim has horrific writing, and none of your decisions really make a difference. Let's be honest, though. Even if they tried to "correct" the Dragonborn, it wouldn't end well them ;)

Oath to Stormcloaks:

"I do swear my blood and
honor to the service of Ulfric Stormcloak
Jarl of Windhelm and true High King of Skyrim.
As Talos is my witness, may this oath bind me
to death and beyond...
...even to my lord as to my fellow brothers
and sisters in arms.
All hail the Stormcloaks, the true sons
and daughters of Skyrim!"

And ok, you got me there. Its been months since I played :D. And if your decisions did make a difference, I would welcome you joining the imperials just to screw with the Thalmor over, and over, and over again. I just joined the cloaks because it seems Ulfric has a better sense of Honor. And even though you swear loyalty to him, once the war is over (if you play on his side) they pretty much release you from service, saying thanks for defending skyrim and hopefully you will help others on your journeys.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

And I don't remember Tullius being disrespectful. Even then, you don't swear loyalty to him, but to the empire. To fight for Ulfrich you have to swear undying loyalty to his cause. The Dragonborn is only under Tullius temporarily, and will obviously rise as someone of great importance within the empire.

In the Legion you swear unwavering obedience to Tullius and Officers of the Empire, and undying loyalty to the Emperor. Not the Empire as a whole

"Upon my honor I do swear undying loyalty to the Emperor, Titus Mede II..."
"...and unwavering obedience to the officers of his great Empire."

You swear Loyalty to the Emperor/Empress, no matter who that may be, they command the Legions. Unless the line has ended then the Elder Council will temporarily take control of the Empire and use the Legions to maintain order until an Emperor can be named. Though idle Legions themselves pose a threat to the Empire.

The vast machineries of the Imperial bureaucracies cost far more to maintain than can be recovered in duties and taxes. And the cost of establishing and maintaining the garrisons of the Imperial legion in the far-flung wilderness posts of these provinces would be cost-effective only if there were evidence of a military threat..

In fact, a greater threat to Imperial security lies in the idle legions that the taxpayer spends thousands of drakes to support. The generals of these legions, facing no enemies or opposition within the borders of their provinces, may look with ambition to the West. With their loyal veteran troops and coffers fattened by friendly monopolists, they become unpredictable political factors in the uncertainties surrounding the Imperial succession. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Eastern_Provinces

OrexxerO

That may be a good thing for the Empire though, maybe one of the legions and their general will grow some balls and kill off the Thalmor, and rally everyone else to the cause when they do.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
That may be a good thing for the Empire though, maybe one of the legions and their general will grow some balls and kill off the Thalmor, and rally everyone else to the cause when they do.

It would be several Legions, a General commands more than one. Legate generally commands a Legion, in the Great War there were armies commanded by a General in the provinces. Hammerfell Legions under General Decianus, Skyrim Legions under General Jonna & Emperor Titus Mede II's personal Cyrodiil Legions.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts