Can't choose between dawnguard and the vampires

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xFusionx

I'm a wood elf and i'm going for a hunter build.
I use dual daggers and a bow.
The skills I train are:

Illusion
Light Armor
Archery
One-handed
Sneak
Pickpocketing

Oh and now and then I do smithing just to make armor..

Now my questions are :
1. Should I join the vampires or should I join Dawnguard?

2. And after that, what wout fit me better according to my skills ? Werewolf or Vampire Lord

Lord Aethok

Hmm... Well, as you're a Wood Elf, I'd say it'd suit your race more to be a werewolf, and you're build being a hunter, I'm sure the Dawnguard would be pretty suited to your expertise.​

Tawneey

Also, siding with the Dawnguard allows you to obtain and upgrade/modify the crossbow and it's bolts, which I guess would suit your archery skill.

I personally enjoy being a Werewolf more than Vampire Lord, ragdolling enemies makes me happy inside.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I build my character almost the same as yours and I always go for the Dawnguard. Never vamps.. ICK! I am so opposed to being a vamp that I start the Companions quest line as soon as possible, just to become a werewolf. Though I very rarely change into one. Sometimes when I am bored. I use the enhanced dwarven crossbow almost exclusively (as well as dragon bone bow and sword).

Maybe one day I'll try out being a vampire, but I don't know if I will stick with it as long as I have with my current two characters.

xBadKarma

the Sloth Queen
I'd go with the Dawnguard. I'm also a Wood Elf with a Hunter build, but I don't like siding with the vampires. In my last playthrough, I was a Nord warrior and I sided with the vampires. I did NOT like it at all because I rarely used my Vamp Lord form and my health, magicka, and stamina would not regenerate during the daytime. I like the Dawnguard because I get the Dwarven Crossbow and I just like hunting vampires ;)

Dawn

Archer - go Dawnguard, do the side quests for Sorine (Ancient Technology), get an Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow and the elemental dwarven bolts, blast vampires to bits.

If you are playing an unpatched or console version, you could go vampire and exploit the necromage perk, otherwise I don't see a lot of benefit to vampire unless you are playing an evil nercomancer type mage.

Nighthiker77

Sneak and illusion are a Vampire's forte. The crossbows are slow and loud, so I prefer a bow anyway.

They are both cool though, and I would definitely plan on trying everything at least once

LuChao

The Martial artist
I know for warrior builds I go Dawnguard but my mage builds where I use no weapons I go vampires every time so it really goes off your builds and your wishes really

Pete

Sounds like a great start for a vampire. Once turned use vampire armor. When feeding use plain clothes. So much quieter. Use vampire lord form against fighters groups. Use the bow and daggers for quiet / quick kills. Consider the ritual stone to raise your army of undead. Consider enchanting to make those daggers things of great pain. Nothing works better than a dagger of absorb health and fire. A little basic conjuration and destruction to fill soul gems, have undead helpers and drain health. Daggers, Bow, Claws and Servants - oh my!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Can you kill something that's already dead? I've always wondered that. We "kill" vampires, zombies, mummies, ghasts, ghouls, etc.??? http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kill
I suppose you could use definition 2 that Merriam Webster gives, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

By the by, I agree with LuChao.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I would only go vampire if you are trying to make a vampire class to play. If its just a random character you made go dawngaurd.

Rimfaxe96

Vampires suck. Kill them all, join the Dawnguard.

Bulldog

I have done both. I liked the crossbow, but found that I went to the regular bow even more because of the faster reload time. Not to mention if you conjure is high enough you can get the bound bow which is really good itself, and it has 100 arrows each time you conjure it up so you never run out. So I really found the crossbow to be kind of useless. Plus if you get the one from when you very first start dawnguard it isn't nothing to go through the drawven ruins and get drawven bolts.

I tended to find more benefits with the vampire though, personally.

Adam Warlock

No argument that the exclusive goodies on the Dawnguard side are more useful in the long run unless you want to rely on magic/VL form to make your kills.

The crossbows are quite fun to use and the exploding bolts add eye-candy as well as damage to your attacks.
The Dawnguard Rune Axe makes for a devastating 1H weapon against the undead(the special shield and warhammer are meh)
Finally , the Dawnguard ultimately provides up to 5 followers for later use (aside from Serana)

From a RP perspective , Dawnguard emphasizes the group and protecting the populace while the vampires are basically self-serving loners if not outright evil.

I see the choice of being Werewolf entirely separate from the Dawnguard issue (unless you have already become one before Harkon offers his "gift") but a Hunter build does indeed suit lycanthropy.
Wolf Perks of Bestial Strength(x4) , Totem of the Predator , and Savage Feeding(optional).
Ring of Hircine or Ring of the Hunt(Dragonborn DLC).
Lord Stone effects carry over into Beast Form . highly recommended

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I’ve never being attacked by a werewolf in more than 1200 hours of playing Skyrim, but as soon as Dawnguard was installed, I’ve been attacked by the freaking vamps and they have kill important people in my game like Lucas Valerius, the blacksmith in Riften and the blacksmith in Whiterun, so I will never been a vamp and I enjoy to kill them all .... it does not matter what race you are, it is a matter of choosing a side. Just my 2 cents .... ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts