PC Bug: Unable to buy houses?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Enhanced Character Edit has been giving me a lot of issues, it seems. However, I really do love the mod and I don't care much for Apaachi Sky hair, so I think I know which one I'll choose.

I'm actually doing a clean reinstall right now. I took off all my mods, cleared out my data folder and uninstalled the game. The download is taking forever XD

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Well, I've tried a completely fresh reinstall of Skyrim.
I've gotten rid of the mods I thought were causing the issue, and yet, I am STILL unable to buy houses.
I really don't know what in the world could be causing this glitch.
I've taken off many of the mods I previously had in an attempt to prevent this issue.
I've also completely gotten rid of Enhanced Character Edit and RANS as they seemed to be giving me the most trouble.

It should also be noted that even with every single mod deactivated from a previously modded save, I am still running into this issue.

The new mods list is as follows:

-83 Willows, 101 Bugs
-Amazing Smooth Females
-A Quality World Map
-Apachii Sky Hair
-Better Females by Bella
-BFG Better Face Gen Female Face
-Birds of Skyrim
-Cloaks of Skyrim
-Dimonized UPN female body
-Detailed Faces
-Enhanced Night Skyrim
-Enhanced Slider Colors
-Envision Face
-Freckles for females
-Feminine Running and New Dash Animation
-HD Textures DLC Fix
-Lanterns of Skyrim
-More Village Animals
-Pretty Face
-Pretty Female Idles
-Project Reality- Climates of Tamriel
-Roosters at Dawn
-Snow HQ Textures
-Skeleton of Female Models
-Sunglasses
-Triss Armor
-Uncle Sheogoraths Really Helpful Hints and Tips
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch
-Unvision Face
-UPN Female Armors
-Victorias High Heeled Walk
-W.A.T.E.R Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
-Wearable Lanterns

If there's any more help anyone can offer, I'd really appreciate it. I'm entirely stumped by this issue =(

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
After some painstaking trial and error and yet another fresh reinstall, I've finally got the ability to buy houses again.
It came down to deleting all my mods, starting fresh and slowly adding mods in one by one.
At this point, I STILL DON'T KNOW what cause the glitch to occur because I'm still using the same mods, with the exception of Enhanced Slider Colors because I felt I no longer needed it.

My current running theory is that Enhanced Character Edit and RAMs messed up my files, and that even a new game with the mods disabled wasn't enough to get rid of their residual effect. I needed to completely remove all trace of the mods and reinstall fresh.
But, again, I'm not 100% sure if that is the case, but it did work for me.

AlphaGodith

After some painstaking trial and error and yet another fresh reinstall, I've finally got the ability to buy houses again.

I'm having this same problem, without the mods you listed, though I do have a bunch of my own. Did reinstalling the game fix the problem, or did you have to do some real major cleaning? Did it fix your old saves or are they totally corrupt? Please help guide me through fixing things, Mab :C

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Sadly, I have yet to fix the issue.
I did a clean reinstall with all mods removed, but it didn't fix the already bugged saves. And even after getting rid of it and slowly re-installing my mods one by one *AFTER, I thought I had gotten rid of the mod that caused it* I eventually got the bug all over again, with a completely different set of mods.

I have heard, however, that this is a bethesda bug, and not a mod related bug. =(
I really don't know what to tell you. Even when I got rid of this issue, it came back later.

AlphaGodith

Sadly, I have yet to fix the issue.
I have heard, however, that this is a bethesda bug, and not a mod related bug. =(
I really don't know what to tell you. Even when I got rid of this issue, it came back later.

Maybe a mod could be made that fixed this bug somehow? Perhaps by activation the "buy house script" regardless of thane/quest status? I wish I knew how to script, then I'd make this mod myself :C

AlphaGodith

I haven't the faintest clue how to mod. I sort of half wish more people would encounter this issue *as horrid as it is* so that it would become widespread enough for somebody more knowledgeable than I to find a solution to it. Or at the very least, its root cause.

*sigh* same. I've posted a mod request in the skyrim nexus forums, but I don't think modders ever actually look there. If I can find someone to make this mod, I will post here. Do you know any console command workarounds?

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
There is a quest which bids you visit your new land. Try using the fancy-world-bending commands to activate it. I would advice merely googling the command. If you need a key, the use the same principle. Same with furnishings too. Keep in mind that I know not the limits of your fancy devices.

Aeronite

Hi there I,m having the exact same problem as you are, this is my second play through so I'm not totally crushed by the fact that I cant buy any of the houses as I've owned them all before but it certainly is rather annoying isn't it. I noticed you and I are using some of the same mods, I've included the list of the same ones I had installed at the time I first noticed the problem. My Skyrim is a Steam version and I also have all the DLC's Hearthfires, Dawnguard & Dragonborn, I'm using the new official 1.9 ledgendary patch and everything is all varified and up to date.
I'm really hoping some clever person can help us figure this silly little glitch out because it's really, really annoying. I have a mod called "Pimp my Proudspire" http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9334 installed & I noticed by chance that it unlocks the door to the Proudspire mansion in Solitude so even if you don't actually own the house you may still be able to use it & there may be some other mods out there that do similar things for the other houses, it's worth a look I guess until someone fixes this bug.

Here is the list of mods we have in common, one of them could or "should" be the culprit but as yet I haven't figured out which one as disabling them at this point had no effect :sadface:
-A Quality World Map
-Apachii Sky Hair
-Build Your Own Home
-Calientes Female Body Mod CBBE
-Cloaks of Skyrim
-Enhanced Night Skyrim
-High Quality Eyes
-More Village Animals
-UFO Ultimate Followers Overhaul
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch
-W.A.T.E.R Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux & the Dawnguard patch

SPECS:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor Intel(R) Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz, 3193 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Memory: 24 GB RAM
Available Physical Memory 21.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 48.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 44.9 GB
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Mods List (If any links to the mods are needed, I can happily
provide them.)
The ones in BOLD were added after the issue began, so I am pretty sure they aren't causing it, but just in case, I've listed them as well.

I've also added my PC specs at the bottom in case that would be helpful.

-83 Willows, 101 Bugs
-A Quality World Map
-Apachii Sky Hair
-Babbettes Feats (Improved Cooking and Ingredients)
-Bandolier Bags and Pouches
-BFG Better Face Gen Female Face
-Birds of Skyrim
-Books Books Books
-Bright Purple and Deep Indigo Eyes
-Build Your Own Home
-Calientes Female Body Mod CBBE
-Calientes Vanilla Armor CBBE
-Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger
-Celine Outfit for CBBE
-Cloaks of Skyrim
-Dread Huntress Armor CBBE
-Dream Burros Asare Gothic Lolita Retexture (An armor)
-Hair Packs of Fallout
-Enhanced Character Edit
-Enhanced Night Skyrim
-Enhanced Slider Colors
-Feminine Running and New Dash Animation
-Field Mage Outfit
-Hair Packs of TES Oblivion
-HD Textures DLC Fix
-High Quality Eyes
-Improved Fish
-Lanterns of Skyrim
-Midas Magic
-More Village Animals
-Pets of Skyrim
-Pretty Face
-Pretty Female Idles
-Project Reality- Climates of Tamriel
-Rans Character Gen Morph
-Roosters at Dawn
-Snow HQ Textures
-Snow White Vampires
-Solitude Public Bathhouse
-Spouses can live everywhere
-Sunglasses
-Roadstroakers Rogue Sorceress Outfit CBBE
-Thieves Guild Duelist Armor
-Triss Armor
-UFO Ultimate Followers Overhaul
-Unlimited Bookshelves
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch
-Victorias High Heeled Walk
-W.A.T.E.R Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
-Wearable Lanterns

SPECS:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Manufacturer: Toshiba
System Model: Satellite L755
BIOS: InsydelH20 Version 03.60.453.40
Processor: Intel(R)-Core(tm) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM (4 GB RAM)
Page File: 4962MB used, 3123mb available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Sadly, I've run into this issue again with a completely different set of mods this time.
I've actually done some digging, and for some players this issue itself dates as far back as the very month the game was released and for others it's still occurring as recently as last week. It is apparent on XBOX versions of the game as well, which cannot be modded. (as far as I know)
This seems to me that this is NOT a mod issue, and rather some sort of game related bug.

I've been messing with the creation kit, trying to find a way to trigger the dialogue lines for the Stewards, but no such luck. (I also have no clue what I'm doing in the CK, so there's that.)
*Sighs* Hopefully someone knows how to fix it soon.

If someone knows the console command on how to prompt dialogue lines in NPCs, we'd have a PC workaround at the very least. Other than that, I'm stumped.

ah3nos

Are you sure you've met all of the requirements to buy the home? For example Lakeview requires that you are at least level 7 (I think), you have recieved the letter from the Jarl of Falkwreath, and completed the quest he gives you after talking to him. There are requirements for all 3 houses. The one in Dawnstar you have to be level 20, done the quest about the nightmares, and killed a giant for the Jarl. I run 250 mods or so, most of which you have listed, and I've also run it with just a vanilla at up and never had the issue. Once you've met the requirements the Jarl will tell you that you now have permission to purchase property, then the steward will have the dialogue.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
I wish it were something as simple as that. The current house I'm trying to buy is Honeyside in Riften. I've done the Skooma quests with the addict and locating the sellers den. I've assisted well more than 5 people of Riften. I'm high enough level and have enough money. My quest marker points right to the Steward and says "Purchase Honeyside from the Jarls Steward" or something to that affect. I've made sure to speak with her between the hours of 8am and 8pm in the correct location and the dialogue for buying the house STiLL doesn't show up.

Sadslayer24

I've been having the same problem. I've played it through a few times, but now this bug popped up. I am unable to buy any houses in any of the holds, except the hearthfire homes. I have all 3 DLCs and everything is updated. Has anyone come up with any way to fix this?

accursed_pixy

Is there a fix to this glitch? I don't have any of the mods that you guys have, have uninstalled my mods, my game, and started a new game and still can't get rid of it. My game was purchased through steam if that makes any difference...

Loxoceles

For what it's worth, I find this thread very interesting. I don't run as many mods as mentioned and when I hit the allowed limit I remove some mods to create space. So far so good. I will probably get bit sooner or later tho. I do follow one self created rule: if the mod needs to have another or two mods to function I just don't use it. Darn mod should stand alone. No face, hair and appearance tics required.

Sledge

Eyup!
I know this is a relatively old thread, but I'm hoping not forgotten...
I'll repeat the above mentioned - does anyone know of a fix for this issue?
I've been having it for some time too now - done all the quests, the jarl (in whiterun) has made me Thane and said I can buy property, Lydia says she wants a house and there's one available, but no option to buy or upgrade from the Steward Aventus. Rifton same thing - quests done, people helped, Jarl says I'll make you Thane, but buy a house first, and still no option from the steward there...

Awfully frustrating. Can't adopt kids because I have no house (other than player homes which for some reason don't count).

I'd dearly love to see a fix for this. I love this game to bits, but it does have some irritating quirks, such as this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers

Sledge

EDIT: I just found this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14505/?tab=2&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ajax/modfiles/?id=14505&pUp=1

Seems to have fixed Rifton, I've yet to check Whiterun...

Edit 2: Whiterun still seems to be bugged... but other towns have houses available now... But because the stewards don't offer the purchase option, I also don't get the upgrade options, which means, accepting the houses as set up by the abovementioned mod.

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts