PC Bug: Unable to buy houses?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
I've been having an issue for about a month or two now where I've been unable to buy any house in any of the Holds.
I've done all the correct quests, spoken to the right people at the right time, been the correct level with the right amount of gold and STILL the options to purchase any house won't show up.

I've tried taking all of my mods off entirely and starting fresh just to see if mods were indeed the issue. The game functions normally and I can buy a house that way, so I've concluded that it is in fact a mod issue, I just don't know which one, and it seems taking them off one by one hasn't really helped me either.

After taking the mods off one by one, I was initially pretty convinced that it might be an issue with race compatibility as I do prefer to use customized race mods such as Cherry Race or Monli, so I stopped using the race mods and switched to regular vanilla races. However, even on my regular Nord and Breton characters, I still cannot buy any houses.

Also, if it helps any, I've been having an issue where Lydia, when selected, with have her greeting-dialog text be normal, but instead of saying the dialog on screen, the "Throw Voice" shout file triggers and she uses that instead.
I don't know if this is directly related to the issue of buying houses or not, but I did notice both issues at the same time.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
What mods do you have installed?

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Mods List (If any links to the mods are needed, I can happily provide them.)
The ones in BOLD were added after the issue began, so I am pretty sure they aren't causing it, but just in case, I've listed them as well.

I've also added my PC specs at the bottom in case that would be helpful.

-83 Willows, 101 Bugs
-A Quality World Map
-Apachii Sky Hair
-Babbettes Feats (Improved Cooking and Ingredients)
-Bandolier Bags and Pouches
-BFG Better Face Gen Female Face
-Birds of Skyrim
-Books Books Books
-Bright Purple and Deep Indigo Eyes
-Build Your Own Home
-Calientes Female Body Mod CBBE
-Calientes Vanilla Armor CBBE
-Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger
-Celine Outfit for CBBE
-Cloaks of Skyrim
-Dread Huntress Armor CBBE
-Dream Burros Asare Gothic Lolita Retexture (An armor)
-Hair Packs of Fallout
-Enhanced Character Edit
-Enhanced Night Skyrim
-Enhanced Slider Colors
-Feminine Running and New Dash Animation
-Field Mage Outfit
-Hair Packs of TES Oblivion
-HD Textures DLC Fix
-High Quality Eyes
-Improved Fish
-Lanterns of Skyrim
-Midas Magic
-More Village Animals
-Pets of Skyrim
-Pretty Face
-Pretty Female Idles
-Project Reality- Climates of Tamriel
-Rans Character Gen Morph
-Roosters at Dawn
-Snow HQ Textures
-Snow White Vampires
-Solitude Public Bathhouse
-Spouses can live everywhere
-Sunglasses
-Roadstroakers Rogue Sorceress Outfit CBBE
-Thieves Guild Duelist Armor
-Triss Armor
-UFO Ultimate Followers Overhaul
-Uncle Sheogoraths Really Helpful Hints and Tips
-Unlimited Bookshelves
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch
-Victorias High Heeled Walk
-W.A.T.E.R Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
-Wearable Lanterns

SPECS:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Manufacturer: Toshiba
System Model: Satellite L755
BIOS: InsydelH20 Version 03.60.453.40
Processor: Intel(R)-Core(tm) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM (4 GB RAM)
Page File: 4962MB used, 3123mb available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
hm, I am by no means an expert, but I don't see how any of these mods would conflict with buying houses. I guess one of them is but I couldn't say which. Have you tried using console commands to restart the quest and see if it fixes itself? Probably wouldn't work but worth a try.

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
I have tried that, yes. I've even done that one whiterun quest a good dozen times on various races.
I was certain it was a race issue, and completely stopped using my modded races, but I can't even buy houses on Vanilla races either.
I tried taking off the mods one by one, which is what led me to think it was a race issue in the first place since none of those mods seemed to affect it.
I've seen one or two cases online of people having this same issue, but nobody seems to have fixed it. =(

The dialog option is completely missing from the Stewards. I've looked in the creation kit just to be sure it's still THERE, so it's not as if something deleted it somehow.
I just can't get it to trigger, no matter what I do.

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
that is strange. The only two houses I have bought are breezehome and Proudspire manor, so I haven't encountered this bug. Does it do it even to a completely unmodded new game?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Can you remember what mods you added the last two months before this started happening? It could have been a mod update that broke something as well.

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
From what I've seen, it doesn't do it to an unmodded game.
However, I checked about a month or so ago. I'm thinking of taking off my mods and trying again just to see and make sure.
I've contemplated perhaps starting the game normally, with no mods, buying all the houses and then re-adding my mods in, to see if it would work. But I've already accomplished so much with my current characters that it bothers me not to be able to have houses with them.

For what it's worth, I used to have the "Live another life" mod, and that let's you start the game with a house if you so choose. That was the only way I could get a house for a while, and, being suspicious of the mod, I took it off.
There's plenty of work-arounds to make the game give me a house, hell, I could even add a modded house somewhere, but I really do want my game to function enough that I can buy houses normally.

Plus it will bug me if I have that stupid misc quest "Buy a house in solitude" stuck in my misc section forever.

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
lol I am a quest journal neat freak to. I have actually killed people to get rid of quests that I didn't want to do :)

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
To my knowledge, the ones I added right before I noticed that it started happening were Cherry Race Mod, Young Nord Race Mod and Live Another Life, all three of which I've taken off of my game because I thought it was them causing the issue.

Could it be possible that they DID cause an issue and the corrupted data has somehow stayed in the game and carried over to new saves?

However, those were the mods I noticed RIGHT BEFORE it started happening. It may have been going on before that prior to my knowledge.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well I can't comment on the Cherry Race or Young Nord Race mod. I use Live Another Life and never experienced any game breaking issues or glitches or anything like that. It you take off all the mods or the ones you can, and still play your save, does it allow you to buy a house?

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
When my boyfriend was checking the game out, back when I was still playing the Young Nord Race, he did some kind of console command that showed me what the Steward at Whiterun thought of me. His disposition or something. Apparently it was set to 0, when at that point in the game it should have been higher. We tried manually setting it higher but for some reason we couldn't. (I'm pretty sure he just didn't know the right commands, but then again, neither do I.)

Our theory is that something in the mods, or even an issue with an update from the game itself, has set the stewards (possibly everyones?) disposition to 0. So without it being at 3, like it's needed to be to buy the house, the script won't trigger.

I'm not really sure what to do or how to fix that though. And it was when I was on a modded race. I'm on my regular nord race now. Does anybody understand what he was talking about? ^^;;

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
One last idea, could you set the get house quest stage to the point where you buy the house? Not shure if you can even do this with misc objective though.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
player.setrelationshiprank <actor> <value>

Used to set an NPCs disposition towards the player. IE "player.setrelationshiprank player 4" will set the selected NPC's relationship rank to 4 (the highest).
  • If this doesn't help when attempting to add Follower dialogue to an NPC, as it didn't for me, try setrelationshiprank <actor> <value> and then player.setrelationshiprank <actor> <value>, where <actor> is the ID of the NPC you want to become a follower. Note that not all NPCs can be added, for example try adding anyone from Dark Brotherhood, you will find that they cannot be made followers.

Maybe this?

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
yea thats the problem, if it was an actual quest I think that would work cause it would force the correct script, but its not :sadface:

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
Okay, I've figured out a few things.

One. Better Face Gen and Enhanced Character Edit are NOT compatable.
Two. Enhanced Character Edit has a fl*ff ton of files. One of which edits scripts.
It is also noted that Enhanced Character Edit affects ALL the other races and carries over into new games.

I think we have our culprit.

I'm going to try taking off BFG, and keeping Enhanced Character Edit but minus the YoungNord files.
If that doesn't work, I'll get rid of Enhanced Character Edit entirely.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Enhanced Character Edit has been know to cause CTDs when the showracemenu is used. It's also incompatible with Apachii Sky Hair. It's prudent to go through the user comments section for a mod. It's time consuming but it's important as it will often make you aware of bugs and conflicts that are not in the mod description itself.

Getting rid of mod effects sometimes requires a clean reinstall.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts