Borderlands 2, and why it's a terrible game

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Believe it or not, it's possible for people to have an opinion different from yours, Dagmar, and not be de facto wrong.
I didn't offer any opinions. I stated observations of fact. It's not possible to be wrong about those even if that appears to be beyond your ability to comprehend. It's a fact that blue weapons are obtainable as mission rewards. It's a fact that mobs don't automatically respawn in an area where you just died. It's a fact that the OP you cited for support didn't share the same analysis of the game as you. It's a fact that the Lord of the Rings - Geary easter egg guarantees three red chest rewards every time it's done. I never offered any opinions about whether the game is objectively hard because that's a purely subjective POV. You're the one who is rabidly defending an opinion on that matter to the point of completely ignoring facts that contradict fictional counterpoints about the game that you've fabricated to support said opinion. As such those counterpoints are de facto wrong.
Google gives me 86,300 results for instances of "Borderlands 2" with "too hard" -- with the majority of the top 10 appearing on Gearbox's own website forum.
So what? First of all that's an incredibly shallow interpretation of what that number means. It will pull up pages that have phrases like "Players who think Borderlands 2 is too hard are either ignorant or not good at FPS games". Second of all there are over half a million search results for "Borderlands 2""too easy" so even using that incredibly flawed method of assessment indicates that the consensus leans the other way (notwithstanding that it can pull results from pages that say "Players that claim Borderlands 2 is too easy are elitists because it's clearly too hard.")

Your borderline Tourette's syndrome-like compulsion to categorize anyone that disagrees with you as "sh!t-talking, antisocial basement dwellers" is only reflective of your own antisocial disorders. It's been consistent throughout this thread notwithstanding that everyone here has been polite in their responses to you but if you want to continue to act like a passive aggressive asshat have fun with that. :rolleyes:

PoisonPen

You don't understand what a "fact" is. The term "fact" refers to an axiom which is so universally believed that it is accepted as incontrovertible. It is a very different thing from "truth," which is a metaphysical quality. Given your pugnacious, unpleasant attitude, I have zero interest in discussing epistemology with you, so this is all I will say on the subject.

From your "so whats" to your relentless name-calling, you've turned this whole thread to cancer. Congratulations.

/thread

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
...I've been playing computer games since the late 1970s...
The number of years you've been doing something doesn't mean you're proficient at it. If that were true mediocrity wouldn't exist in any area of expertise.
Your borderline Tourette's syndrome-like compulsion to categorize anyone that disagrees with you as "sh!t-talking, antisocial basement dwellers" is only reflective of your own antisocial disorders. It's been consistent throughout this thread notwithstanding that everyone here has been polite in their responses to you but if you want to continue to act like a passive aggressive asshat have fun with that. :rolleyes:
At least he's consistent. He does the same thing here.

You don't understand what a "fact" is. The term "fact" refers to an axiom which is so universally believed that it is accepted as incontrovertible.
Seems perfectly clear to me that she understands what facts are. Everything she asserted as a fact is a fact or are you claiming that there are no guaranteed blue weapons as rewards for missions, that Moxxi guns don't leech health off of enemies, and that the Geary Lord of the Rings easter egg doesn't exist?

....your relentless name-calling
Wow talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Quite frankly you're beginning to sound delusional.

...One camp consists of sneering 14 year old Call of Duty semi-literates whose response to complaints like mine consist of "lrn2game loosr"; the other camp consists of people with a boiling point IQ. I can only guess that Gearbox made a conscious decision that stupid, callow teenyboppers are their target marke.....

....a bunch of squealling, teabagging 12-year olds and their basement-dwelling aspie big brothers...
....sh!t-talking, antisocial basement dwellers....
IMO All she did is call a spade a spade and she only did it once.

Sean

lost somewhere
You don't understand what a "fact" is. The term "fact" refers to an axiom which is so universally believed that it is accepted as incontrovertible. It is a very different thing from "truth," which is a metaphysical quality. Given your pugnacious, unpleasant attitude, I have zero interest in discussing epistemology with you, so this is all I will say on the subject.

From your "so whats" to your relentless name-calling, you've turned this whole thread to cancer. Congratulations.

/thread

The topic was cancer as soon as you hit submit to create the topic.

The entire thing is nothing more than a poorly constructed attempt at riling people up, because any sane person would know that hating on something without offering real ideas to improve it, and then calling anyone that likes it a "14 year old Call of Duty semi-literates" is extremely narrow minded (I actually don't like that series).

I thought Borderlands 2 was a great game, good action, comedy was interesting, and good (not great, but improved upon) customization.
Borderlands is one of those games where it is meant to be played co op, but doesn't have to be (as proven by the myriad of people) played that way.

I, and others, have already given you other ways to play the game, and how to improve your odds, instead you chose to ignore them all.

You also don't seem to understand what a fact is, and you throw it off as opinion, and, even if this wasn't your intention, it makes you appear as a troll. You don't have to like the game, no one is saying that, and everyone has a differing opinions, but those same people can also reasonably discuss a game, and even be open to varying opinions on the subject in a very rational manner.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer

/thread

The topic was cancer as soon as you hit submit to create the topic.

The entire thing is nothing more than a poorly constructed attempt at riling people up, because any sane person would know that hating on something without offering real ideas to improve it, and then calling anyone that likes it a "14 year old Call of Duty semi-literates" is extremely narrow minded (I actually don't like that series).

I thought Borderlands 2 was a great game, good action, comedy was interesting, and good (not great, but improved upon) customization.
Borderlands is one of those games where it is meant to be played co op, but doesn't have to be (as proven by the myriad of people) played that way.

I, and others, have already given you other ways to play the game, and how to improve your odds, instead you chose to ignore them all.

You also don't seem to understand what a fact is, and you throw it off as opinion, and, even if this wasn't your intention, it makes you appear as a troll. You don't have to like the game, no one is saying that, and everyone as differing opinions, but those same people can also reasonably discuss a game, and even be open to varying opinions on the subject in a very rational manner.
No because anyone who didn't find it difficult is a basement dweller and they can't be reasonable

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
When you adopt the attitude that you're not an insane and it must be the rest of the world that's insane, it's time for a check up from the neck up.

utael

Really guys I think he gets it or its too late for him to get it. If you weren't in the convo or have constructive critizism that either propels this forward. Then you're just trolling. I have gone far bit I also don't think its too hard or too easy. I also am horrible with fast twitch games... Generally with a k/d ratio on bf of 5/26.

That said, I haven't been gaming since the 70's but is sure as Hell would take you on in pong.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Opinions on opinions as you said were all entitled to em. Oh but I guess it'd different when it's YOUR opinion

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I never understood the appeal of Borderlands. I purchased the second and simply could not get into it. I wanted to. FPS with RPG elements, honestly sounded like something I would enjoy. Maybe it's my fault for not playing the first one, but me not being able to take to the game doesn't equate to the game being a piece of plops. I can certainly see where some folks would and could get into it. Just wasn't my cup of tea and it seems like it wasn't yours either. Doesn't mean you have to brand the game as terrible, because let's be honest, there are far worse games out than Borderlands 2.

A.Auditore

maybe...
image.jpg and this is why I come here, <3

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
It's only at the Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode that I've seen what was more or less wrong, the slag-and-shoot wasn't a problem for my Gunzerker the moment he found a wonderful purple quality Hyperion Slag Shotgun. However ennemies started getting really tough to kill and when they weren't Mechs, they were often very mobile, an Ultimate Badass Marauder would give me much more trouble than anything else of the same rank, there it did scream fake difficulty. It was only on the UVHM though.

Outside that mode, it was more than okay, anything that didn't die of a Zer0-boosted sniper rifle headshot was eventually meant to shrug that off and for the rest, it's just co-op fun, killing stuff, get weapons, watch the GOD-liath you raised running after one of your friends and make fun of him, hear Mr Torgue trying to make innuendos and Jack telling you about his life, show that gun that shoots rockets to your friends, gunzerk with a sniper rifle and a missile launcher. For my part it's more than enough.

Billydavwy

Agree with the above two posts, I loved borderlands 2 and is easily one of my favourite games of the past few years.

I think the designers whole purpose with b2 was to introduce some tactical thinking into the game, fir example using the various elemental weapon types to deal appropriate damage, taking down shields with one weapon first before switching to do damage with another. Never have I found it too difficult or tedious as the op suggests.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mast3rlinkx

I have no idea what game you played, but it definitely wasn't Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 is easily the best FPS I've played that released in the past few years, and the RPG elements make it that much better. The game feels like Gearbox apologizing for the mediocrity of the first game, because they tossed everything about the first game out and built it from the ground up. The visuals are gorgeous, the scaling feels solid, and a lot of the things that sucked in the first game (the Siren and elemental damage, for example) feel much more well done in the second. The enemies take bullets in what feels like a natural way most of the time, the AI is very well done, and the game is a nice challenge without being too hard. However, keep in mind that I've not completed TVHM yet, so I have no idea what UVHM is like. But I must say that the first game was revealed to be as mediocre as it was when you play this game, because they share a unique world that was vastly improved in the second game, so what's left are the gameplay mechanics now. Plus, the jokes and other forms of comedy are so much better than the first game's humor. I can't tell you how much I laughed at the Psychos' dialogue.

Just my two cents. I don't expect PoisonPen to take this post seriously, considering how he reacted to the other posts here. Seriously, just because you don't enjoy a game doesn't mean it's poorly made. BL2 is an extremely well-made game, yes, but it's not for everyone. I'm just glad I'm one of those people that enjoy it, because even after putting it down for a few months, I just picked it back up today and am still having a blast blowing bandit heads away.

asillynert

Honestly borderlands 2 (last playthrough uvhm) seriously ticked me off now I am avid gamer. And no chump when it comes to first person shooters I can normally maintain 3-4 kd in multiplayer. And when it comes to rpgs I am very good at theorcrafting and numbers me and my friend who I helped spec and get rotation combined we would do 30-40% of damage in 25 mans (and no we were not carrying guild it was one of best ranked) also held some records on world of logs(for couple bosses). Actually trained some of top dps for server (and one was so bad he made it onto alot of peoples ignore least, after I was done with him he got invited to permanent spot to top raiding guild). I would change playstyle and know exact numbers before any site. And that was my job managing dps they would link new and old and I could give them instant math on it.

All I am saying is no chump to gaming but two things really ticked me off the pace MORE health not only means harder. But it means it takes longer to kill while yes but you have to spend more time fighting them (which hindsight considering its your 3rd-4th time killing them for that specific quest just make it that much more tedious when it takes 12 clips from your very best gun.

Personally thats the biggest drawback so what for being harder having to play smart instead of just slamming the triggers and creating a field of red mist. Its the tedium or tediousness of game I mean 120hrs to level legit then the never ending grind.

But it might just be me with the random spawning of weapons or their combination of parts it can mean you get the weapon you want to drop but crap its scoped/not or fire instead of slag. And that was the thing I played the first and almost every single time we killed major boss something was at least a sideway/upgrade. And with bosses now drop rates just crap killed final boss at 50 ended up walking away with 2 blues that were actually crappy for me but everything else was crap it was almost entirely whites. And he dropped very few eridum (which I swore was fixed rate) but ended up with 12.

Overall they just went with basic junk rpg tactics this time around MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF health instant death one hit enemy lots of repetition and low drop rates. Add some shock factor humor (some of which is way excessive) and thats borderlands 2 in a nutshell.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts