• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
My question is, does anyone read the books in Skyrim? Like they actually sit down and read them with there character? I was wondering because I was thinking if they were good I would give it a try. Most of them certainly have interesting names.

Jei El

We will be avenged.
I read them, although they are mostly short stories they actually have interest to them:)

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Outside of the obvious Lusty Argonian Maid, there are quite a few really good books throughout the game. One of my favorites is The Real Barenziah. Straw <3

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Yes. I'm currently trying to collect them all. They contain useful information about the world and it's history. Some quests can only be started by reading particular books.

Just like in the real world, there are people who read and there are people who don't matter.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I've read almost all of them. For some volumes that are part of a series I read them first at the Imperial Library or Unofficial Elder Scroll Pages because I couldn't find them until much later and I wanted to read the series without skipping a volume but I've pretty much collected all of them in game now. They're pretty good reads for the most part and not particularly long.

You miss out on a lot including things that can help your roleplay if you don't read the books. Every game only covers a span of a few years. You miss out on thousands of years of events, places and people in the world of Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls Universe if you don't read the books.

I'd also recommend reading both versions of the Pocket Guide to the Empire which unfortunately can't be found in the game. They were actual books that came with the games Redguard and the special edition of Oblivion but Bethesda has given an open license for the Elder Scrolls player community to publish them so you can read them at The Imperial Library and Unofficial Elder Scroll Pages websites.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Oh yeah. I loved The Locked Room and Immortal Blood, just to name a few. They're some good books in Skyrim. I don't read the Volume books however (Vol. 1 or 5). For some reason I stay away from those.

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

I do. My favorite 'series' is the Argonian Account, though I also like Carlovac Townway's work.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I really don't like reading from a screen. I'll read a book that's in my hands, sure. But I hate reading a story on a website or a book in Skyrim.

I'll read the ones that sound interesting, though.

Lisa

Lisa
I had good intentions at the beginning, but now I purely gather millions to fill up my bookshelves XD
I would love to see some irl ones released as merch.. Just because we're not nerdy enough right :3

Clau

The Fateless One
My favorite is Oghma Infinium. Fun to re-read over and over again. ;)

Anyways, sorry for that.

I always collect the Wolf Queen volumes. My real favorite is the Woodcutter's Wife. After I read it, it lead me to believe that it is a quest somewhere near Falkreath. It lead me to a wild goose chase.

Clau

The Fateless One
I'm not alone!

Good to know that I'm not alone as well. :D Although back then when I found nothing in Falkreath, I was still trying to find it. Lead me to explore the areas of Solitude, Morthal, Windhelm and Riften areas.

Would you believe that I once thought that the Abandoned Shack was IT. :D

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
A Dance in Fire is my very favorite. Get all the volumes and give it a read, it's pretty entertaining.

The King of Worms is great, too. I remember I found a book in the possession of one of the Silver Hand that detailed the vivisection of werewolf subjects and explored the internal transformations as they occurred. A fascinating, twisted read!

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Good to know that I'm not alone as well. :D Although back then when I found nothing in Falkreath, I was still trying to find it. Lead me to explore the areas of Solitude, Morthal, Windhelm and Riften areas.

Would you believe that I once thought that the Abandoned Shack was IT. :D
Well I searched for a short time, than researched it online and it got me nowhere, so I didn't really go beyond that.

You sound like a true explorer though!

Clau

The Fateless One
Well I searched for a short time, than researched it online and it got me nowhere, so I didn't really go beyond that.

You sound like a true explorer though!

Thanks. For my part, I resisted the urge to search anything online for months when I played Skyrim. Much of my early time was spent on wandering around and getting a feel for the game through lore.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Thanks. For my part, I resisted the urge to search anything online for months when I played Skyrim. Much of my early time was spent on wandering around and getting a feel for the game through lore.

I would have done that, but if you remember around the time when Skyrim was first released, there were a whole bunch of hyped games coming out all at the same time, so I had to cut a quick path through all of them just to keep up.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts