• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
A/N: Hey guys, I decided to take a break from Ascent and Darkness rising. So this is it.

Chapter One
The Breton, Veridas Ashhart, crouched in the shadows, one hand on his enchanted ebony sword, Firethorn, and the other on his vampiric Daedric dagger. He stood on the path just above the pirates' base. He'd been hired to kill the leader of the pirates, a certain captain Hargar. Veridas' short hair glistened with sweat as the assassin held his position above the water.​
When he dropped down for his attack, he'd need to be careful, because if his entrance into the water made too much noise, the pirates would undoubtedly get suspicious. Of course, that really made no difference, as the Breton was going to kill them all anyways. He simply preferred the stealthy approach. Watching carefully, he noticed the lone sentry turn away from Veridas, and begin his walk to the other side of the wooden tower.​
Stiffening his legs as he leapt, he hit the water with a minimal splash. Instead of surfacing immediately, he swam through the murky water, until the tips of his fingers encountered one of the support beams of the wooden structure.​
He found the stairs ,where a small rowboat was tied, and climbed them, careful to keep his footsteps as light as possible. The sentry on the lowest level of the tower never had a remote chance. As he fell, Veridas caught his body, ad eased the dead man to the ground. Moving on, he managed to silently kill three more before it all went to hell. Figuratively speaking, of course.​
Two pirates rushed towards him, brandishing weapons. The man quickly rose out of as crouch, readying his weapons. The first man, a Nord swung his war axe with deadly intent. Except, the Breton was no longer there. The pirate learned this , to his dismay. Veridas slashed his flame enchanted blade across the mans back, and the pirate fell forward, the edges of the wound smoldering. The unfortunate mans' companion was only a step behind his companion, which meant that he was now beside Veridas, who promptly turned and rammed his vampiric dagger under the mans ribs.​
As the dagger stole the life energy of the man, and fed it back to it's owner, Veridas took the opportunity to survey the surrounding area, which was currently clear of enemies. If the Solitude guard captain had told Veridas the truth, only one remained. Captain Hargar himself. Climbing the last ramp, he came across the man, a heavily muscled man, slightly taller than the Breton assassin, and wielding a large, two handed war hammer. He was also charging towards Veridas and roaring incomprehensibly.​
Though Hargars' tactic probably would have frightened off a less experienced opponent, Veridas knew that the mans' charge was a one that he would not be able to stop in time, if his target moved anywhere but backwards. Veridas dodged to the side, and delivered an single blow to the side of Hargar's neck. The pirate captains' head fell to the ground with a loud thud. His body stumbled on for a few more feet ,before crumpling in a bloody mess, his neck still spurting arterial blood. "if you'll come with me, captain?" the Breton grinned, grabbing the head by it's hair and dropping it in a sack.​
While in most situations, the Nords were naive enough to believe what one told them, Veridas always preferred to be able to prove his claims. A severed head would do nicely. After returning to Solitude, and collecting his reward of one hundred Septims, he headed back to his room in the tavern, The Winking Skeever. No one spoke to him, not even to offer a drink, as was custom with the Nords. Veridas knew he intimidated them, and he didn't care in the slightest.​
He unbuckled his sword belt, wrapping the belt around his chair, making it harder for potential thieves to untangle the weapons without making noise. He slept uneasily, and was filled with nightmares of his childhood. He headed down to the main floor of the tavern, and took a seat, careful to keep his back to the wall, and take a good measure of all the Nords in the place. It didn't look like they would be much of a threat. Most were either too drunk or too absorbed in their own meaningless conversations to pay him any attention. He ordered a drink, and rested his booted feet on the table across from him.​
To Be Continued.​

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Thanks, man :)

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Chapter Two
The tavern was just starting to get busy when the man sat down across from Veridas. The man's eyes were swollen and red, clearly an indication that he'd been grieving. "you. You're assassin, right?" Carefully, the Breton nodded, his hand going under the table to grasp his dagger. It wouldn't be the first time a grief stricken friend or parent had come after Veridas seeking 'justice'. The man's face cleared slightly, and he leaned in conspicuously. "I need someone...taken care of"​
"This person's name?" Asked Veridas, bringing his hands up to table level once again. At this point, the man across from him looks a little uncomfortable "Well..it's more like...a vampire, the Terror of Falkreath" Veridas thought he'd misheard. 'A vampire? This fool must think I have no value on my life' "Listen, old man, I don't take on vampires. Ever." The mans' face fell, but Veridas couldn't find it in his heart to feel any pity for the man.​
Of course, that was before the Nord placed a huge coin purse on the table between them. "There's, more where that came from" the old man assured him "please, he killed my son. My only son!"​
Veridas literally leapt out of his chair as the Nord reached out to take his hands in a beseeching gesture. "Fine, fine! No need to go on about it!" he hissed, snatching the coins from the table. He hurriedly secured the coins in his room and prepared to go out. He hired a carriage to take him, as he didn't really feel like wasting gold on a horse, and he certainly wasn't in the mood for walking.' Besides, he thought grimly, I'm going to need all my strength if I'm going to take on a stupid vampire!'
The carriage arrived in Falkreath shortly after. It was sobering to see the way people were carrying themselves. They were either extremely nervous and jumping at shadows, or they walked with hunch shoulders acting like they expected to be carried off at a moments' notice. A man walked past, and Veridas reached out to grab his shoulder. "Excuse me, friend, but do you know where I could find the Terror of Falkreath?" The Breton assassin had never been very subtle, and his question showed it. The man looked at him as if what he'd actually said was " Hello, I'm here to call down the vampires and get all of you horribly killed"​
Without a word, the man turned and all but sprinted away. He spent most of the day questioning the other townspeople, and got similar reactions by almost all of them. Those that didn't run away, simply got a haunted look in their eyes, and wouldn't answer any of his questions. Once the sun began to set, the towns people disappeared into their homes, without exception. An even stranger sight was the Imperial Legionnaires. A company praefect was ushering his men out of the barracks. The soldiers were equipped with heavy armor and almost everyone of them had an amulet of Arkay in plain view, over their armor. Frowning, Veridas walked into the local tavern and inn, an establishment named 'Dead mans' drink' he took a seat farthest from the fire, after buying a room for the night.​
The door opened, revealing a dark robed figure, whose face was hidden in the shadows of his hood. He wore no weapon at his side, which told Veridas that he was either extremely confident, or extremely stupid. The way nearly all conversation in the room stopped when the man entered hinted to the former. Veridas felt himself growing uneasy as the man walked to his table and took a seat. The man simply stared at him, all that was visible of his face was a pair of dark blue eyes, which shone with some strange, eerie light. "The word around town is that you've been asking questions about the Terror of Falkreath" While the mans' tone was conversational, even friendly, his voice was just...cold. As cold as the grave, in fact.​
"That's right..what of it?" Veridas managed to answer, keeping his voice from trembling.Barely. The hooded man chuckled, and it wasn't a pleasant sound. "When looking for vampires, it is never a good idea to announce your intent" the man said. "However, I may be able to help you. The Bloodlet Throne is where the vampires in this area stay. you'll have a good chance to catch them off their guard in daylight"​
Veridas took in the information in, and decided it made sense. Before he could thank the man, however, he stood, turned and was out of the door in a minute.​
What hadn't made sense was the man himself and the strange hush that had come over the patrons when he entered. Shrugging it off as just the local suspicion, he headed to his room to get some rest. After all, the next day he had a vampire to kill.​

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts