Best Mage Companion and Dawnguard DLC PS3?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JechtFayth

Hey I was curious what would be the best Companion for a Character such as mine which is a Mage who only uses destruction and restoration... alteration for telekinesis and waterbreathing and thats it. will also be a vampire lord once the dawngaurd dlc comes out for PS3

here's my build. only gonna be going to level 57 since its all i need for the perks i have selected

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

I was going around with brelyna marion for a while but got fed up with her flame atronach familiar cause its a ________ whiny little ______ that if touched by one of my spells it will attack me....

so Im kind of looking for a follower that will get the hell out of my way and stay back so i dont accidentally kill them with fireball or chain lightning or any other higher level destruction spells.

qualities that would be preferable for follower would be:

Magic caster
- preferably not conjurer unless they dont get in my way or are stupid about it
- illusion caster and destruction and restoration would be very nice
- any mage companion that will not use anything else except for magic at all times if possible. if not, any ideas how to keep them from switching to bow or sword or whatever?

Archers would be the next thing i would be willing to take as a companion, but i would be reluctant to go to... but i believe would have a higher chance to stay back out of the way from me and just shoot from afar so i dont have to worry about killing them along with killing the enemies rather than a warrior with a one handed or two handed which would get crushed by me...

any ranger that has high health and great with bows would be nice.
i stay away from any companions who are orcs and i have begun to dislike faendal quite a bit through my playthrough with my pure ranger.

I am aware that i can wabbajack followers to bring up their stats to a higher level as well for future levels i get to. the stats they are at now is not an issue for me since i can always wabbajack them.

Also was wondering if anyone had more information on to when the Dawngaurd dlc will be coming out for PS3... i've been googling it going to any pages that talk about it, and ive only being seeing the same thing that its still unknown as to when they will be releasing it to PS3 and to PC........... ><

VonCrown

Dawnguard will probably hit the ps3 shortly after the 1.7 patch makes it's way through Sony's approval process.

I always say a mage's best companion is his conjuration skill, your own summons tend not to aggro you if you accidentally hit them in my experience. And then you have more direct control over whether your help is currently using melee/ranged, since most summons tend to stick to one or the other.
If you're really dead set on destruction/restoration only, uhm... I dunno. I guess test out the other college followers, see if any of them don't summon things? Maybe Marcurio? He's in Riften iirc.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I suggest archer followers for mages. Suit them up and they are awesome and stay safely behind you.

ShadowGambit

I agree with Squirrel_killer.

I would choose Aela or Jenassa as follower. I would go with Aela in your case, as Jenassa has a tendancy to go melee more often than Aela, which is not good for her if you are casting fireballs.

If you want to go Mage, I would choose J'zargo. And if you don't want him to switch to weapons, it is easy. Give him none, so he can't switch ;)

Jaeger

If you're really dead set on destruction/restoration only, uhm... I dunno. I guess test out the other college followers, see if any of them don't summon things? Maybe Marcurio? He's in Riften iirc.

The followers spell list is over at the UESP. Just type in followers on the search bar and a list will come up and click each Mage follower for their page.

JechtFayth

I agree with Squirrel_killer.

I would choose Aela or Jenassa as follower. I would go with Aela in your case, as Jenassa has a tendancy to go melee more often than Aela, which is not good for her if you are casting fireballs.

If you want to go Mage, I would choose J'zargo. And if you don't want him to switch to weapons, it is easy. Give him none, so he can't switch ;)

is it possible to get both jzargo and aela the huntress as followers with you? i know with my first character as khajiit i was able to have 3+ followers with me.... the khajiit caravan, dark brotherhood recruit, and i forget who else i had... so is it possible to have multiple followers from different factions in the game? cause if i could get aela and jzargo, i would be set. plus if i can get cicero along too would be just rediculous and awesome. or a follower from thieves guild too.

ShadowGambit

DBI has a glitch so you can get him/her with you PLUS your favorite follower.

I think that there is also a glitch for some Quests where your follower for that specific quest is mandatory.

But I don't think you can get Aela AND J'zargo at the same time without mods (PC)

JechtFayth

DBI has a glitch so you can get him/her with you PLUS your favorite follower.

I think that there is also a glitch for some Quests where your follower for that specific quest is mandatory.

But I don't think you can get Aela AND J'zargo at the same time without mods (PC)
not a chance at all for PS3 to get multiple followers from different factions? followers from the world would be a faction.. from DB, from TG, CoW, i believe they all would be considered different factions... maybe i'm wrong in saying that.. but i hope my theory is correct... otherwise i really dont know which one i will choose between aela and j'zargo... and with j'zargo he's not gonna just pull out a invisible bow or sword that apparently is equipped like brelyna does with a bow.... ><

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
A follower that uses ranged combat, be it archery or spells is preferrable for reasons already stated in this thread. In term of skill sets, Marcurio is the easiest follower to recruit as he's a hireling. Aela is good but you have to complete the entire Companion main questline to make her recruitable and from a role playing perspective that may not mesh well with a mage character. If you have a follower preference based on personality, it's worth noting that you can force most followers to use ranged combat by stripping out their melee weapons and most followers will use staves if you give them one.

ShadowGambit

Jenassa can be recruited even ealier, in Whiterun, and is also a Hireling. She is a good archer. She also is a good melee fighter (the only one that dual wield the weapon you give her), but only when the enemies come close. She will shoot them with her hunting bow :sadface: first.

I don't know if patch 1.7/Dawnguard changed the basic bow for follower though, so they could use any bow you give them

Dagmar

She will shoot them with her hunting bow :sadface: first.

I don't know if patch 1.7/Dawnguard changed the basic bow for follower though, so they could use any bow you give them
For those who don't understand the reference, followers have this annoying feature of having invisible bows that cannot be removed from their inventory unless you use console commands (I've read that having the Misdirection or Perfect Touch perks will allow you to pickpocket them away but I've never confirmed this by trying it out myself). They will violate the general follower rule of using a weapon with better base damage and use this bow over most others unless the bow is one which can be tempered with steel. In this situation if you don't have a PC the best you can do is equip them with a Forsworn Bow which is the equivalent of an Elven Bow in terms of damage.

ShadowGambit

I've read that with dawnguard or Patch 1.7, this may have been changed, players noticing that their followers now use correctly the bow they give them.

Can you confirm Dagmar?

Dagmar

I've read that with dawnguard or Patch 1.7, this may have been changed, players noticing that their followers now use correctly the bow they give them.

Can you confirm Dagmar?
I haven't read about this and therefore haven't tested it. The UESP states that follower leveling was fixed with Patch 1.6, but the claim about proper use of bows after 1.7 hasn't been verified in a reliable manner by any person posting the claim on the discussion page for followers. You have to bear in mind that the follower bow bug didn't always prevent a follower from using a better bow initially. The ultimate effect of the bow bug was that they would eventually fall back on the use of the default bow so something like this has to be thoroughly tested over time with lots of zone changes and at least one level change.

ShadowGambit

Ok. Thank you Dagmar.

JechtFayth

A follower that uses ranged combat, be it archery or spells is preferrable for reasons already stated in this thread. In term of skill sets, Marcurio is the easiest follower to recruit as he's a hireling. Aela is good but you have to complete the entire Companion main questline to make her recruitable and from a role playing perspective that may not mesh well with a mage character. If you have a follower preference based on personality, it's worth noting that you can force most followers to use ranged combat by stripping out their melee weapons and most followers will use staves if you give them one.

so if i equip them with multiple staves it will decrease the likely hood of them pulling out the default weapon of their's that doesnt show up when i try to take it off of them?

and there really is no way at all to have multiple followers from different factions at the same time for consoles?

also is there a forum or place i can go to see what the patches are and what bugs have been fixed and what remaining bugs there are? so i can either try to avoid it or just look out for it?

Dagmar

so if i equip them with multiple staves it will decrease the likely hood of them pulling out the default weapon of their's that doesnt show up when i try to take it off of them?
You can remove their default melee weapon. Unlike the bow it's not invisible and AFAIK unlike the invisible inventory (armor, arrows and bow) it doesn't respawn over time after you dismiss them.
also is there a forum or place i can go to see what the patches are and what bugs have been fixed and what remaining bugs there are? so i can either try to avoid it or just look out for it?
You can look up patches at the Bethesda blog site. The Unoffical Elder Scrolls Pages for Skyrim also maintains a patch page. However both only are just patch notes. They are by no means exhaustive and Bethesda often will not mention some of the things that are changed by them. There is no way to know all the bugs because it's quite possible some have not been discovered or reported yet by players and any time Bethesda does a patch, the patch itself may introduce new bugs into your game.

VonCrown

and there really is no way at all to have multiple followers from different factions at the same time for consoles?
There's no way to have multiple (humanoid) followers. Period. Full stop. the -only- exception (that I know of) is the dark brotherhood initiate you mentioned. I recall hearing there being some sort of glitch that let you not count one of the initiates as a follower or something. I don't remember where I read it, and I can't find it again, but I don't think there are any other followers it applies to. (Maybe Cicero? I recall reading that he and the db initiate use somethign other than the standard follower system, might be the cause.) And of course, you can also have one animal follower. If it doesn't glitch out on you and say you already have one.
Or being on the pc and having mods.

JechtFayth

There's no way to have multiple (humanoid) followers. Period. Full stop. the -only- exception (that I know of) is the dark brotherhood initiate you mentioned. I recall hearing there being some sort of glitch that let you not count one of the initiates as a follower or something. I don't remember where I read it, and I can't find it again, but I don't think there are any other followers it applies to. (Maybe Cicero? I recall reading that he and the db initiate use somethign other than the standard follower system, might be the cause.) And of course, you can also have one animal follower. If it doesn't glitch out on you and say you already have one.
Or being on the pc and having mods.

oh shoot... ok so maybe it was that i just had two followers with my previous game. i could have sworn i had 3 but maybe i had one through a quest that i wasnt aware of or idk what.

u hope im lucky and the bug works again for me to have the companions i want.. otherwise i guess i can switch em out one by one whenever i want on PS3

Adam Warlock

Derkeethus may fit the bill for you.
He is Ranger class and his #1 skill is archery.
Leave out the melee weapons and he will stay at range.
even though he`s only level 30 , he`s unkillable like Mjoll and that`s a big plus once you get to higher levels.

If he gives you a problem with a bow , use Forsworn bow as Dagmar said.

With Dawnguard installed I`ve had no problem with any of my warrior-type followers using the Crossbow or enhanced Crossbow(not the Dwarven ones) over their default bow as long as they have Steel bolts or Exploding Steel bolts in their inventory

JechtFayth

Derkeethus may fit the bill for you.
He is Ranger class and his #1 skill is archery.
Leave out the melee weapons and he will stay at range.
even though he`s only level 30 , he`s unkillable like Mjoll and that`s a big plus once you get to higher levels.

If he gives you a problem with a bow , use Forsworn bow as Dagmar said.

With Dawnguard installed I`ve had no problem with any of my warrior-type followers using the Crossbow or enhanced Crossbow(not the Dwarven ones) over their default bow as long as they have Steel bolts or Exploding Steel bolts in their inventory

i forget, do followers run out of arrows or bolts that you give them? or can you just give them 1 arrow or 1 bolt and that acts as an infinite supply for them

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts