• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Caerdwyn

I now have the Hearthfire DLC, and I want to build my character an estate off in the country when city life gets too much for him at his mansion in windhelm. My dilemma is I'm not quite sure which part of Skyrim I want it to be in. I think it would be sort of redundant to have more than one country house, so I would like to just pick one. I really like the area around dawnstar because its just by northern ocean which i like and its all snowy, on the other hand theres a fluffing curse on the town and its always being hit by goddamn dragons (might just be me but one attacks about every three times i enter) not to mention that that one dark elf guy is creepy as hell. Then theres morthal, the poorest of the towns and i suspect the most filler-iest of all the nine holds, its populace are all super duper paranoid and distrusting of strangers, there is a burned down house right smack dab in the middle where a little girl and her mother burned to death, the remnants of a vampire cult (here remnants assuming you did the quest to take them out) and its on a goddamn swamp, however it is very secluded which suits my purpose and I like the Jarl and noone is really militant about the civil war which is a nice change of pace for the region. Lastly Falkreath, I love how its not snowing everywhere it feels warmer it has great scenery and I like the priest at the graveyard, but the jarl is a dick and its best known for a gigantic graveyard. Tell me what you think.

Adam Warlock

None of the Hearthfire lots are nearby the capitals of their respective holds.

The lot in Falkreath has the least snow and the most trees with a lake view. Also has a lot of random attacks including dragons. The other houses have attacks but seems to be fewer and no dragons.
Unique feature is Apiary. Redguard Rayya is housecarl if you`re Thane.

The Morthal(Hjaalmarch) lot is actually on the northern coastline west of Dawnstar and within view of Solitude. Unique feature is Fish Hatchery. Nord Valdimar is housecarl.

The Pale(Dawnstar) lot is just above the snow line on the southern border within distant view of Whiterun.
Unique feature is Flour Mill. Nord Gregor is housecarl.

Adam Warlock

Personally I think the Hjaalmarch home , Windstad , is the best of the 3 .
the view of the ocean and Solitude is spectacular and there are friendly horkers laying on the beach.
the fish hatchery will produce a lot more useful ingredients than the mill or beehive.
the housecarl is the only one who will cast magic (frost)
other than that they all have the same options for how you want to construct and furnish the place

Kbjcooke

I have all three homes and totally decked out the one near Falkreath. Was planning to get married, adopt kids, and raise my family there. After living there for a while, I decided that although it had a gorgeous view, there were too many attacks (almost every time I came home)!

So I spent time scoping out my Dawnstar and Morthal homes and decided that Windstad Manor is the best place for a family. I've lived there for a while now and haven't had any attacks yet!

Adam Warlock

I have all three homes and totally decked out the one near Falkreath. Was planning to get married, adopt kids, and raise my family there. After living there for a while, I decided that although it had a gorgeous view, there were too many attacks (almost every time I came home)!

So I spent time scoping out my Dawnstar and Morthal homes and decided that Windstad Manor is the best place for a family. I've lived there for a while now and haven't had any attacks yet!
thank you for confirming that my Lakeview Manor is not an aberation.
It was the first home that I moved my family to and the attacks were frequent.
Even though my wife(essential Ysolda) and kids can`t be killed , it was still unpleasant to see your loved ones under attack.
My hired bard was killed by a bandit and I lost count of the horses and cows I had to replace.
Now the family lives in the safety of a walled city at Hjerim in Windhelm and I don`t have to be nervous about returning home

JClarke1953

When I fast travel to my home in Falkreath, I land a bit away from it just in case. Solitude was good, mainly because of all the guard's. but I'm going to look into Hjaalmarch. Sound's good, and also when war breaks out, remember Falkreath lost many of its citizen's to other war's. So I wonder how thing's there will look when it does break out.

Adam Warlock

When I fast travel to my home in Falkreath, I land a bit away from it just in case. Solitude was good, mainly because of all the guard's. but I'm going to look into Hjaalmarch. Sound's good, and also when war breaks out, remember Falkreath lost many of its citizen's to other war's. So I wonder how thing's there will look when it does break out.
War has already come to Falkreath !
There`s a random appearance area just to the northeast and at the bottom of the hill from Knifepoint Ridge.
Imperial and Thalmor patrols will appear and fight with Stormcloak soldiers there

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I went for the manor in the Pale, something about the scenery really hooked me, but to be fair, that was the first one that was offered to me and I have thought about moving to Hjaalmarch.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
My favorite plot of land is the one sold to you either in Dawnstar or from Morthal. Both are so amazing and have wonderful views. I personally dislike the one sold from Falkreath because despite the fact it is in a pretty forest, it's kinda... well... dark and gloomy. I think Dawnstar's land plot is my total favorite. The view is to die for. The Morthal land plot is right next to a marsh, so keep that in mind.

CognitiveCog

Puppetmaster
I agree, the sunrises and sunsets over the mountians in Windstad (Dawnstar) are amazing. At first I thought Lakeview (Falkreath) was the best view and built the wrap-around deck there just for the view. Unfortunately, you can barely see the lake from the house unless you build a tower. Between the awesome skyscapes and the view of Solitude, you can't go wrong with Windstad.

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
The house in the Pale. Lakeview was attacked way too much and my wife was abducted by bandits while the marshes of Hjaalmarch spook the hell out of me ever since I ran into a chaurus reaper.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I still stand by my opinion that Dawnstar's property is by far the best, BUT: it sucks that you can't purchase the land until you're around level 20 so you can get the giant bounty mission. That really puts a damper on things. For experienced characters looking to settle down, that's fine; but for new characters looking for an ideal home to start their life in Skyrim, it's a real shame you can't get it until around level 20.

CognitiveCog

Puppetmaster
Just use a wood elf's command animal - and fury if possible- to make the mammoths take the giant out.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts