• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hey >>>> Question for some of you who might know . Has any one been able to equip your House crew ( House Carl , Steward , etc , with any arrows higher in damage than Iron ??? I have tried but no luck so far . They seem to only use the Iron . K- Tks for any input . :cool:

Nighthiker77

I know you can equip them in follower mode. On vanilla console, there was a limit to what they would use based on the sum of the bow base damage and arrow damage. I would give them 1 of each arrow and see what they use.

On PC, there are ways to make them use anything, but usually they are also used up so you have to give them more.

I know you can equip them in follower mode. On vanilla console, there was a limit to what they would use based on the sum of the bow base damage and arrow damage. I would give them 1 of each arrow and see what they use.

On PC, there are ways to make them use anything, but usually they are also used up so you have to give them more.

Hey Thanks I'll try that and see , I have them all geared with Glass Bow's , cept Jordis has Dragon Bow . I'll give it a try , and thank you very much for responce , I'm still Learning things about this game. So much the Learn need all help I can get .

JoeReese

I think I read what Nighthiker had mentioned, something about the bow damage and arrow damage, without any up-smithing, not being able to add up to more than like 22. You might try to use the uesp wiki for a list of bows, see what the stock (without upsmith or perks) glass bow damage is, then give them arrows which don't exceed 22. I have found most of my followers can function with steel arrows pretty well. If I give them anything beyond that, they will shoot them, but they will do so from their default, unenchanted, unsmithed, wholly useless bow.

JoeReese

This is from the UESP wiki page on Followers, at the bottom of the page.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Followers

"Archer followers will only use a bow and arrow combination where the base bow damage (before upgrading with smithing or enchanting) plus arrow damage falls within the range of 15-22.[1] Otherwise they revert to their starter bow and/or iron arrows when in battle."

JoeReese

Looks like the Dwarven bow has a base damage of 12, which lets you give them steel or ancient Nord arrows. Higher level bows bring you down in arrows, and there aren't many lower than steel.

You might put your very best upsmith and enchantment on a Dwarven bow, and roll with it.

I have used Faendal on a couple of characters, and he is able to use the standard crossbow with steel bolts also. I've tried giving him the Dwarven crossbow, though, with no luck. He aims it but never fires, with either steel or Dwarven bolts.

Looks like the Dwarven bow has a base damage of 12, which lets you give them steel or ancient Nord arrows. Higher level bows bring you down in arrows, and there aren't many lower than steel.

You might put your very best upsmith and enchantment on a Dwarven bow, and roll with it.

I have used Faendal on a couple of characters, and he is able to use the standard crossbow with steel bolts also. I've tried giving him the Dwarven crossbow, though, with no luck. He aims it but never fires, with either steel or Dwarven bolts.

Thanks Joe for your help I am amazed that you have been able to give Faendal a crossbow and he is using it . Yea GOOd Info tks much Bro :)

JoeReese

Very welcome. I did about 30 levels with neither Mjoll nor Faendal really killing anything with their daedric arrows and upsmithed glass or daedric bows. It just didn't occur to me until I stood back and watched Mjoll one day, and wondered why she had a hunting bow out. I didn't know what was causing it until I googled and found that article. As soon as I gave her the Dwarven bow, she started rocking the house.

With Faendal and the crossbows, it took me a few missions to realize he wasn't shooting anybody with his new Dwarven crossbow, so I have him back the standard with steel bolts. I've never tried to give him the enhanced or the Dwarven enhanced, which ignore 50% of armor. The "ignore armor" tag overrides the enchantment description, so I backed out of enchanting and went back to standard. It may very well still hold the same enchantments as the standard, but I wasn't sure.

sticky runes

On PS3, some of my followers (including non Dawnguard members) will equip crossbows that I give them, and use the exploding bolts. some followers seem unable to use crossbows, they will aim but never fire a shot, so maybe some of the vanilla characters haven't been programmed to use them properly. I'm quite sure I've seen enchanted effects working on enemies from my follower's shots, so it seems they will equip new bows, but I haven't really noticed how they work with arrows.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Hey >>>> Question for some of you who might know . Has any one been able to equip your House crew ( House Carl , Steward , etc , with any arrows higher in damage than Iron ??? I have tried but no luck so far . They seem to only use the Iron . K- Tks for any input . :cool:
I actually did get Annika to use some dragon bone ones I gave her by accident when we went to Solstheim last playthrough. She even used the dragonbone bow I gave her as well. I notice that Lydia never uses what I give her, but both Aela & Annika will. Maybe it's just the particular follower?

JoeReese

Yeah, I've given all my off-duty followers, as I call them, steel arrows and they never seem to use them. If they were active followers they would, but not as inactive. They will use upsmithed bows though, so iron arrows are not a problem.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts