Are you okay with the $15 a month? (ESO)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Brem

Elder Scrolls Online made a big splash and I really can't wait to play it, thing is, we're expected to pay $15 a month after the first free month. How does that make you feel? Will you pay that price? Will you stop playing once the first month is up? Will you grind to complete the game in the first month?

I don't know if I'll be able to afford the $15 a month right away, so I'm going to wait a while to pick up my copy. What about you?

NachyoChez

I'm absolutely fine with the charge.

I've played all manner of MMOs. F2P (no cost except for cash shop), B2P (only pay for the game itself, and usually a cash shop) and P2P (sub fees!). Each has their benefits, but F2P usually just ends up being P2Win, and not being that immersive. B2P has to make too many concessions to account for uneven pay months, which can create some impressive issues that ruin the experience.

Sub models have steady, predictable income that can be used to great effect and usually last longer (unless absolutely poorly managed). Given what TESO is offering, it really was the only way to go!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

BlueTiger

It's round about the same price as most MMORPG's to be honest, and I wasn't that surprised about the price. It'll definitely be worth it in my opinion, and I'll happily pay that for the game.

DuhSkyrim

Yeah it's not a big deal to be honest. I figure this is how most games are going to be in the future anyways, not many people want this, but I expect to see it for future Elder Scrolls games, especially if they have anything to do with online game modes. We'll be seeing more of this for sure. I'm happy with the price though.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I don't really mind because it will help fund dlc and help repair things like glitches prevent hackers.

Off topic a bit. Is there a single player option on the game? Or do you have to keep it online continuously paying every month?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

NachyoChez

Off topic a bit. Is there a single player option on the game? Or do you have to keep it online continuously paying every month?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
Online will be 100% required, but they're saying that playing completely solo will also be absolutely possible.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Nakatsu_Hime

No I'm not happy!

What with my PS Plus sub, who do I need to sleep with to get the £6.99 per month down to a more manageable amount?

Tris

Well $15 a month is fine-less than a cup of coffee a day really and I'd be happy to pay it but I really resent being asked to pay $80-$100 on top for a game that is basically useless unless I maintain the $15 a month. It sucks. Why not call it what it is, a "membership fee" with monthly subscription. $40 dollars to "buy" the game in that case seems more reasonable. I don't believe that it should be free to play, the developers more than deserve to be paid and paid well for their work but it really stings being asked to pay that much for initial entry into a game. If it was a game that I could keep and play offline then fine at that asking price but at this point no, no matter how much I would love to.

SaveVsBedWet

It comes down by a few bux if you subscribe at three or six month intervals. I did the three month one and I think it came down to $12 or $13 per month.

Overall that's just a small point though. I tried the subscription thing once with Aion for the same price and it didn't last. I just end up falling too far behind with everything after even one day missed and let's face it if you aren't missing one day you don't have a job and the boat this dilemma is on sinks at dockside anyhow.

5/25 Edit : I have still to this day not seen "a boat on sinks". What the hell did this mean?!

Also, I did indeed fall behind after the first day. All the people I was encountering on early release day and I were around level 8 at the end of the first day and while I went to work the next day everyone else worked their way up to level 20 something while I was still at 9. I still haven't been able to really get back to play and am stuck at a particular point with the Queen (who does nothing) getting the crap kicked out of me in ever more degraded equipment with now no money to repair it because gold pieces are so damned hard to come by.

JoeReese

I don't know the ins and outs of MMORPGs but I know, in the ones that I've played, any work you do is instantly undone by little Johnny and his mommy's debit card. It makes for a not-much-fun experience. If paying a flat $15 is that it takes to keep the servers running and the team paid, while keeping everyone on an even field, then it's worth it. I'm not sure whether I'll personally be getting it, but the gf likes it quite a bit. If she wants it, I'll get it and then I'll probably play some.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts