Any Scifi Novel Recommendations?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
It's been awhile since I've read a truly mind-bending, awe-inspiring scifi book. I'm a fan of Alistair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series, Joe Hadelman, some Greg Bear, some Gregory Benford, McDevitt, Niven, Clark... it's just so hit and miss though. Reading is an investment of time, and I do hate getting halfway through a book just to realize that I hate it.

We need not limit ourselves purely with recommendations though. We may also use this thread to discuss various scifi books, I just ask that give fair notice of any spoilers being revealed. :beermug:

hershangames

Not exactly SciFi but they do contain SciFi elements:
-1984(George Orwell)
-Frankestein(Mary something)
And of course, the father of SciFi novels, in which the word"robot" was invented:
-R.O.B.O.T)don't the author)
EDIT: even if it isn't exactly SciFi you need to read 1984. It's my all time favorite, and it's worth it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
The missus is more of an avid reader than I am and she recommends Silverberg and Herbert.

She also says if it's fantasy novels you desire, then she can talk all night.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Silverberg and Herbert. The Law Offices of Silverberg and Herbert... I'll have to look them up, can't say I'm familiar. Appreciate the recommendations though. :beermug:

As for fantasy, I really just want to stay within the Elder Scrolls universe, and I'm simply astounded that there isn't more to choose from novel wise. Astounded and perturbed.

Reaper87

吉光
1984 - George Orwell - A true classic, if you like this then I'd definitely read 'Animal Farm' by Orwell also.
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov - Short book, but better than the movie. I'd also read other Asimov titles, as they're all good and all Sci-Fi pretty much. :D:beermug:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
1984 - George Orwell - A true classic, if you like this then I'd definitely read 'Animal Farm' by Orwell also.
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov - Short book, but better than the movie. I'd also read other Asimov titles, as they're all good and all Sci-Fi pretty much. :D:beermug:
Animal Farm is an interesting read, as is 1984. I've read a few Asimov books, but can't think of the names right now.

Yet... I was hoping for some contemporary suggestions, books from the last ten years or so. For instance, when I journey to Borders Books, (which happens rarely), the new scifi section is loaded with fascinating hardbacks, but alas, I can't afford to pay 35 septims per book. Perhaps I'll have to go lurking in a scifi forum. :beermug:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Dunklunk, does your better half play Skyrim? I'd be open to reading a serious fantasy series that might be similar. There must be conflict, lots of ale drinking, :beermug: not too heavy on the romance, and above all good, plausible writing. The only fantasy series that I've read is George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" series, and I enjoyed it.

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
Dunklunk, does your better half play Skyrim? I'd be open to reading a serious fantasy series that might be similar. There must be conflict, lots of ale drinking, :beermug: not too heavy on the romance, and above all good, plausible writing. The only fantasy series that I've read is George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" series, and I enjoyed it.
You need to read the Drizzt Do'Urden series, by R. A. Salvatore! I have something like 18 books by him? At least? Idk, haven't counted in a while.

EDIT: yeah, upwards of 20 books by Salvatore. He's a good author, IMO.

Last edited:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
You need to read the Drizzt Do'Urden series, by R. A. Salvatore! I have something like 18 books by him? At least? Idk, haven't counted in a while.
The drow Elf, D&D character? I suppose he'd be like a dunmer, although the backstory would be completely different... I think I'll check that out though. :beermug:

Wauten Dayhil

The drow Elf, D&D character? I suppose he'd be like a dunmer, although the backstory would be completely different... I think I'll check that out though. :beermug:
Yep! He's a drow ranger, so kind of backwards from the usual drow that the universe is accustomed to.

hershangames

EDIT: yeah, upwards of 20 books by Salvatore. He's a good author, IMO.
Oh yeah, you gotta read that one. I've read all but the first(I mean the Drizzt saga). The dark elfe society and in general the world it depicts are just astonishing.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

dunklunk

Oh, yes she does. With that in mind, she now recommends Brent Weeks' first trilogy about the wetboys/assassins. Yes, wetboys is what they're known as in the series. Sorry, forget the main character's name. Even I read them. Says a lot right there. Awesome read. :beermug:

And then there's Patrick Rothfuss. According to her, Rothfuss is a far superior writer than Martin. She worked in a book store (B&N) for close to eight years and she would read books as "homework," just so she could offer an opinion to customers. And btw, main character's name is Kvothe. Awesome read. :beermug:

Wauten Dayhil

Oh, yes she does. With that in mind, she now recommends Brent Weeks' first trilogy about the wetboys/assassins. Yes, wetboys is what they're known as in the series. Sorry, forget the main character's name. Even I read them. Says a lot right there. Awesome read. :beermug:

And then there's Patrick Rothfuss. According to her, Rothfuss is a far superior writer than Martin. She worked in a book store (B&N) for close to eight years and she would read books as "homework," just so she could offer an opinion to customers. And btw, main character's name is Kvothe. Awesome read. :beermug:
Hahahahahaha "wetboys"? Are they cabin boys who enjoy their job?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale

Very well. I'll re-read this tomorrow when it makes sense. :beermug:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale

Ok, the fog has lifted... I'll look for these next time I go the bookstore. Thank the missus for the suggestions. :beermug:

dunklunk

As for fantasy, I really just want to stay within the Elder Scrolls universe, and I'm simply astounded that there isn't more to choose from novel wise. Astounded and perturbed.

Forgot to comment on the above, Kohlar. You're right. I look at all the novels written in the Halo and Gears universe, among others, and no Skyrim? Perhaps Bethesda or whomever owns the rights refuses to allow such novels. Or, rather more likely, the fees for it are just way too sky-high. :sadface:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts