An Arrow In The Back - The Forsworn's Uprising (Chapter 1)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
An Arrow In The Back - The Forsworn's Uprising 4E 201

Female. Bosmer. Forsworn.

One of these words doesn't fit, but it is my lot in life. Raised for most of my life in a Redoubt, I make no qualms with my upbringing, no matter the circumstances surrounding it...

From what I've been told, my blood family fled Valenwood generations ago when the Thalmor invaded. My family had settled down in several places, always moving on as we felt tensions in the region rise. We were hunters by trade, generations of trackers doing our best work under the cover of night with a bow in our hand and a quiver of arrows strapped to our backs. Even our station in life would change.

When the two moons of Nirn, Masser and Secunda, suddenly vanished from the night sky, hunting at night became an impossibility. We stumbled around in the dark, trying to hunt, but our torchlight always alerted the deer and bear of our presence. Over time, the bears even learned to start attacking the areas where they saw fire after dark. Easy pickings for the brutal, ever hungry monster.

With our hunting revenues drying up, my grandfather steered the family into the merchant trade, specifically as fletchers and trainers. We travelled the lands, going farmhouse to farmhouse, city to city, offering my grandfather's, and eventually my father's, skill to anyone willing to pay us a little coin. We had no preference on who we trained, just that they be attentive, respectful, and pay up front.

My grandfather's accuracy and speed caught the eye of the new Emperor, Titus Mede II at an archery exhibition. Emperor Mede offered us a place to stay within the city proper and discounted the taxes levied against our business as long as we agreed to help train his troops. Our family finally set our roots in the Imperial City.

Business prospered under Mede's rule. We had a steady stream of soldiers that stopped by for training with my grandfather despite his advanced age. He helped them visualize and focus their art, mostly. The mechanics of the hunt was left to my father to teach.

I was born into the merchant life (4E 172). I don't remember much about life in the Imperial City. I was only two when we were forced to flee when the Aldmeri Dominion attacked. My grandfather, too weak in his old age, stayed behind. We never saw him again.

After fleeing the Imperial City, my father and mother went back to the transient lifestyle that my father was familiar with growing up. We continuosly made our way north, eventually crossing the border into Skyrim, the farthest place from the Great War. Travelling this northern country is still harsh, even under the best conditions. Thankfully, the abundance of wild game kept our bellies full.

As a true testament to my bloodline, I took to archery like those before me. I felled my first rabbit at the age of 4, my first deer at the age of 5. I would join my father on his nightly hunts, learning to track our prey and leaving no trace of our presence. Everything we took from the land, we consumed. Every living thing that fell by the daggered-tip of our arrows, we consumed. Even bandits. We followed the Green Pact to the letter.

At the age of 8, I started hunting alone. Because of my lack of strength, I limited my hunts to small game, typically rabbits, goats, and foxes. Anything that I could field strip and haul back to our campsite. While my father continued to hone my hunting skills, my mother trained me in survival techniques. She showed me the herbs we could consume or crush into a salve to heal our wounds. She showed me how to craft protective clothing from the hides of the animals we consumed. She even showed me the proper way to bury our kills in the snow to preserve the meat. As we moved from location to location, she always made sure to bury provisions for the future should we need them. She marked each site on our map as well as tying a blood dyed strip of hide to a landmark to signify where the provisions were buried. My mother was meticulous in her planning and execution. When we were moving on to a new area, it was like we were never there.

At 10, my father contracted a sickness that my mother could not cure. No manner of salve or potion that she brewed seemed to help. My father continued to cough blood. Before it was too late, my parents decided that we should head towards Markarth, to see a healer at the Temple of Dibella.

Along the way we were fortunate enough to find an abandoned cart, my father probably could not have walked much farther at this point. We loaded my father and our belongings into the back of the cart, but it was too heavy for my mother and I to haul. My mother asked me to wait by the cart while she trekked off into the wilderness.

A few minutes later, I heard the all too familiar roar of a bear and my mother's shouting. I recognized her voice, but not what she was saying. She sounded... primal. She emerged from the brush with the massive bear following her! I drew my bow and hurriedly grabbed some arrows. My mother's raised hand put me at ease. The bear was actually listening to her.

My mother and I quickly strapped the cart to the bear, all the while, my mother whispered into the bear's ear. We continued our trek towards Markarth, my mother and I out front, the bear and father, in the cart, following behind. Along the way, my mother explained to me how she was able to command the bear. She taught me some songs to help me remember the process. We sang those songs for the next four hours as we walked.

We estimated we were about one hour's distance away from Markarth when we had to stop and rest. We continued singing as we rested until a loud "thwip!" broke our chorus. I never saw the arrow that took my mother's life.

My mother was bleeding profusely from the neck, she immediately fell over trying to stop the flow of life draining from her body. With her focus distracted, the bear started to growl. I turned to see the bear now towering over me, more than twice my height.

The cart had overturned, still attached to the bear's hips, my father lay sprawled on the cobblestone road. I reached for the dagger I used to skin the animals, but it was too late, the bear took a swipe at me and I fell to the ground, losing consciousness as the warm blood flowed from my head. I heard my father yell and saw him fire several arrows at the bear while he lay on his back. The bear fell, crushing my father beneath him. I blacked out.

MushroomGenius

An Arrow in the Back - The Forsworn Uprising (Chapter 2)

I didn't expect to be alive.

My head throbbed. My mouth was dry. My eyes were covered. My arms were tied down. I couldn't move. I took several deep, focused breaths, the kind you take before releasing your arrow, and used my nose and my ears to take in my surroundings.

I could hear and feel the wind blow, I was cold. I could hear someone hammering in the distance, it sounded like metal on metal. I could smell food, or at least what I thought was food, goat perhaps. Sounds echoed deeply in wherever I was, it sounded like a large room. I could hear a tearing sound, like my mother fashioning leather. I couldn't hear anyone talking. I stayed in this focused, alert state for about 30 more minutes trying to piece any information I could together. Then the foot steps approached me.

My blindfold removed, I was finally able to take in my surroundings completely. It was a huge cave. There were tents here and there, a burly man striking steel, a woman tending to a large pot. Another younger woman tanning leather. A part of me was pleased that I figured it out, but a slap from one of my captors brought me back.

The lighting where I was tied wasn't bright enough for me to see details of things upclose. All I saw was the thin silhouette of what looked like a female in front of me. She looked human, but twisted some how. She spoke.

"Who are you, girl?"
With a dry swallow, I did my best to answer her, but I couldn't.

"Who are you, girl!?", she shouted.
I said nothing. Again, she struck me, her nails gashing my face.

"Very well, I will wait. And you will tell me. In time." WIth that she walked away from me over to a flat slab of stone that looked like a table. Squinting, all I could really see were some flowers, several skulls, and a dagger.

"Braccen!", she yelled. "It is time."

The burly man who was striking steel earlier lumbered over to her. I don't think I've ever seen a man so large. The woman reached for one of the overturned skulls on the table and dipped her hand inside. She then smeared the red substance across Braccen's chest, most liberally near his heart. Braccen let out a primal roar and voluntarily sat at the edge of the table. I could see his chest heaving in and out, the adrenaline rushing through his body. The woman creeped up to him and whispered something before he laid down.

Before Braccen could take another breath, she stabbed at him. Digging the dagger deep into his chest. I could hear his ribcage crack under the force of her blows. In seconds, she removed his still-beating heart and tossed it to the floor. "Anare!", she shouted, "bring me the briarheart."

The woman that was tanning the leather rushed over with a small satchel. With the same swiftness, the woman reached into Anare's satchel and removed what looked like a thorny stone and handed it to the woman. She held the thorny stone up to the torchlight, inspecting it for a second before plunging it into the vacant hole in Braccen's chest.

"Heart of thorns, bones of the wild, in life Forsworn, rise from the dead, Blood of Our Blood."
"Heart of thorns, bones of the wild, in life forsworn, rise from the dead, Blood of Our Blood."
"Heart of thorns, bones of the wild, in life forsworn, rise from the dead, Blood of Our Blood."

She continued to chant this, the rest of the tribe forming around her, joining her in the chant.

And then the body moved.

MushroomGenius

An Arrow In The Back - The Forsworn Uprising (Chapter 3)

The body moved. Horrific as it was, I could not look away.

First the leg shook. Then a fist balled. Slowly, I watched Braccen sit up at the table, his chest drenched in red, the table was a mess. The hole in his chest visible to me, the thorny stone filling the space his heart once occupied. The woman placed some type of helmet on his head, it looked like the head of a deer. What manner of magick is this?

The woman stepped away and dug her hands deep into a cauldron, rinsing off the gore from the ceremony. She grabbed a silver cup and again sauntered over to me. She forced me to drink the liquid in the cup. Goat's blood. It didn't phase me, the Green Pact of the Bosmeri demanded we consume our kills, nothing went to waste, even the blood. It actually lubricated my throat enough that I could speak.

"Sonyanna. My name is Sonyanna," I answered, without a question being asked.

"Sonyanna. A fine Bosmeri name. Does it have a meaning?" the woman asked.

"My mother said it meant Little Hunter," I replied.

"Oh how nice, I am sorry about your mother Little Hunter, but you and your family were trespassing on our lands. It was not personal. No one except the true sons and daughters of the Reach are allowed to travel here."

I fought back tears, re-living the moments before they died, my mother's song still echoing in my head.

"You have great potential Little Hunter. We had been following you for days. We will look after you here, in the Redoubt."

"I don't want to be here."

WIth a wave of her hand, she summoned Braccen to her side. He was even larger up close. In the torchlit room, I couldn't see anything except the silhoutte of his enormous mask. I couldn't determine if he was actually breathing or not. I felt his gaze turn to me through the mask, uncomfortably so.

"Well, you have no choice. Welcome... daughter." With that she turned and left, Braccen following in her wake. Magically, my bindings came undone and I fell.

"Amazing wasn't it?" he said. A boy around my age creeped up next to me.

"It was," I could only think of one word, "terrifying."

"One day, that will be me." The boy said matter-of-factly, watching Braccen follow the woman.

I had no words.

"I'm Weylin, son of Morlin," he said proudly. The boy handed me a rag so that I could wipe the goat's blood from my face. He was also unphased by the gore.

"Sonyanna. I'm not supposed to be here." It was my only response. "Who was that woman?"

"The Hagraven? That's Pyrra, the matriarch of our Redoubt. She used to be one of the clan's shamans before she ascended."

"Ascended?" I asked.

"Yeah, she was a Breton, same like me. Powerful in Magick, but she answered the call of the Old Gods," Weylin replied.

"Oh," dumbfounded, it's all I had to say. I was still trying to take it all in.

"She told me to return these to you." Weylin handed me a large sack. Inside were the dyed strips of leather my mother used to craft, my bow, and a handful of arrows my father had made. For a moment, I thought about fighting my way out, but I wouldn't make it. I didn't even know where this cave exited, and by the way Braccen had looked at me, I'd probably need two full quivers just for him. I don't know how you can kill something that's already dead.

MushroomGenius

An Arrow In The Back - The Forsworn Uprising (Chapter 4)

4E 184, It's been two years since my parents died and my life in Druadach Redoubt began. The people here have welcomed me in, they treat me as well as they would their own kin. I'm treated no differently, despite being a Mer. Our matriarch, the hagraven Pyrra has given me more responsibilities, teaching some of the other children to hunt, passing along the knowledge that is, or was, part of my heritage.

Weylin's become a good friend to me. He always keeps my best interests at heart, even if it means he has to suffer a bit. We're competitive with each other, but I seem to always win. Some days he takes it harder than others. He still has aspirations of becoming a Briarheart, like his father before him.

Weylin's father, Morlin, was the clan's Briarheart before Braccen, he died leading an assault against a Stormcloak encampment near Harmugstahl. His heritage and bloodline is a source of pride for Weylin, unfortunately a bit too often sometimes. It's definitely not easy living in your father's shadow like that. The clan allows him to sit and commune with the Elders as the representative of his family, while it's a great honor, he often complains about it.

I speak with Pyrra every couple of days. She's teaching me more and more about the history of the Reach. Since they don't keep written records, history is passed down verbally. She often makes me tell the stories to make sure that I know them by heart. She's told me of their, now "our", struggles, outlaws on our own lands.

I asked her if being a Hagraven is in my future, she said simply, that it was up to me. She told me she ascended seven years ago (4E 177), shortly after the Reachmen were obliterated by Ulfric Stormcloak in Markarth.

I've asked many times about other Forsworn camps and why I'm never allowed near them. She never answers me.

Growing tired of the dead end line of questions, I sought out Weylin. I knew he'd give it to me straight. Sure enough, he did.

According to Weylin, Pyrra is the daughter of the former King of the Reach, Madanach. After Markarth was lost and her father taken prisoner, she made the decision to ascend. Much like the Briarhearts, the female shamans give up a part of their soul to ascend. Their pact with the Daedric Prince, Hircine, twists them into the half-human, half-bird form known as the Hagraven. At the cost of their humanity, they experience heightened senses, longer life, and more destructive magick. As a Forsworn Matriarch, it's the highest position a female can achieve. It is from this position of power that Pyrra hopes to free her captive father.

MushroomGenius

4E 200 - The Eve

"For twenty years, we've waited. For twenty years, he's suffered. For twenty years, we've kowtowed to the whims of a Nord family. This ends now!" Pyrra screamed, addressing our Redoubt. Her cries met with emphatic grunts,howls and cheers, the true Children of the Reach responding.

Today's the day. For the past fifteen years, I've trained for this day, hidden from all but my tribe. Where others before me have failed, I will not. The King in Rags will be free.

All the pieces are in place, the game will begin.

4E 201 - The Game.

Rorikstead -- not much of a town, more of a settlement really. I'm supposed to meet up with one of our agents here, a man named Lokir. Lokir is a Nord, but he's sympathetic to our cause. He's one of the many men employed as supply runners between Rorikstead and Markarth. As a stowaway on his carriage, I'll be able to infiltrate Markarth and meet up with Weylin who has been working inside the walls for a couple of years now.

Before we can go, the Nord changes the plan. He explains that we have to re-route into Falkreath, deliver some wheat to Dead Man's Drink, the tavern located there. Begrudgingly, I agree. Deviations from his routes will arise suspicion, I agree to go along for the ride.

We arrive in Falkreath and again, the Nord changes the plan.

"Sonyanna, we have to do something first," Lokir explains.

"We don't have time, I need to get to Markarth!" I insist. "We've delivered the wheat for Rorik, now let's get going!"

"I need to visit my father, he's buried here," he pleads.

Understanding the bonds of family, I agree and accompany him to the gravesite, picking some flowers along the way.

Living in the Redoubt for the last nineteen years, I've lost all comfort in towns. Aside from hunting and training, I was never allowed to venture outside. Even when the Elders from other Forsworn tribes visited Druadach, I was forced to hide. My comfort level with those outside my tribe is non-existent.

We arrived at Lokir's father's gravesite, it was overgrown with weeds sadly. Lokir kneeled down and started cleaning up around the area, making it presentable again. Just when he was through, a town guard smashed him with a gauntleted fist.

"Lokir of Rorikstead, you are under arrest! You've been charged with Horse Thievery," the town guard stated. "And you, Bosmer," he looked at me through the slits in his masked helmet, "you're with him so you're an accomplice."

My first instinct was to flee, I took a step back, that's when the shield hit me in the back of the head. I never saw that second guard.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts