Am I the only one who thinks this?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Humbungala

That bethesda should release a DLC that reintroduces the dwemer into the game? I mean we dont have to be able to create a dwemer, but a DLC that focuses on dwemer and stuff would be awesome!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
You're far from the only one! I like the Snow Elves and I think they're pretty cool, but the Dwemer sound way more awesome. I imagine them as weird mix between Orcs and Altmer. Bearded tough guys who use their brains and their brawn to break skulls. Beards, brains, and brawn...you can't lose.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Eh...as someone else once said elsewhere on the forums, if the mystery of the Dwemer is ever solved, we'll know that we've reached the endtimes and that the franchise has probably gone down the tubes. It's a puzzle that's gone unsolved for almost twenty real-life years. If its pervasive mystery were to end, would the games ever be the same?

But of course, if they were to turn things around and write an amazingly well-thought out story that lives up to two decades of hype...who am I to say no to that? :D

Moris

Dwarves are hot right now (and will be, most likely, for another 18 months, thanks to Peter Jackson and JRR Tolkien), so -- even though Dwemer and Tolkienesque dwarves are hardly the same thing -- if Bethesda wanted to release a DLC that dealt with Dwemer, sometime in the next year or two would be great timing.

Saozig

Hippy
Dwarves are hot right now (and will be, most likely, for another 18 months, thanks to Peter Jackson and JRR Tolkien), so -- even though Dwemer and Tolkienesque dwarves are hardly the same thing -- if Bethesda wanted to release a DLC that dealt with Dwemer, sometime in the next year or two would be great timing.
Actually they are very similar in that both Tolkien's dwarves and the Dwemer lived underground and were know for their amazing culture, architecture (especially of large, impressive cities that have survived long after their builders) and craftsmanship. If your know your Tolkein lore you know the Dwe- prefix comes from that too--in Tolkein lore, the proper plural of dwarf is dwerrows, rather than dwarves. Basically Bethesda took Tolkein's idea and made a few changes, even though most fans of TES seem too young to realize that much of the fantasy genre today which revolves around races like dwarves, orcs and elves really stem all from Tolkien. All of this fantasy genre stuff is rooted in Tolkien's re-intrepretion of the idea of elves and dwarves for European folklore and his interested in languages and conlangs. Not mention Tolkien literally invented orcs (the word is even his own, and I have theorized it is a phonetic variant of the Gaelic word olc which means "evil" and is pronounced with a "dark" L sound that may make it sound like "orc" to non-speakers). This is why fantasy as a genre has being overwhelming biased through European cultures, especially Germanic/Scandinavian/Celtic cultures, as that's what Tolkien drew from. Hopefully one day we'll have more fantasy that draws for other cultures' folklore and mythology. I've been itching for a good fantasy game with djinn.

Moris

I don't think the word "orc" was invented by Tolkien. William Blake introduced his own idea of the orc (though quite different from Tolkien's). And I doubt Blake invented it either.

feliciano182

I think dwarves are being saved up for a future Elder Scrolls game, they seem way too important to be relegated to just DLC.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Tolkien is the father of fantasy, and is the inspiration behind every great game that has been made since The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Tolkien was actually inspired by the Dwarves of Norse Myths, and as a huge Norse fanatic, it is why I love them so much.

Although the Dwarves in Tolkien's world also had amazing culture and architecture, the Dwarf in the Elder Scrolls comes off as much more intelligent, and mechanical geniuses (anybody who has explored Dwemer ruins knows this).

One person posted that uncovering the mystery behind the Dwemer in The Elder Scrolls mean the end, but from a Tolkien fanatic, I am very eager to find out how they really were, how similar they really are to that of Tolkien's Dwarves. The suspense - it's killing me. I must know.

Lifts-Her-Tail

Tolkien is the father of fantasy, and is the inspiration behind every great game that has been made since The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Tolkien was actually inspired by the Dwarves of Norse Myths, and as a huge Norse fanatic, it is why I love them so much.

Although the Dwarves in Tolkien's world also had amazing culture and architecture, the Dwarf in the Elder Scrolls comes off as much more intelligent, and mechanical geniuses (anybody who has explored Dwemer ruins knows this).

One person posted that uncovering the mystery behind the Dwemer in The Elder Scrolls mean the end, but from a Tolkien fanatic, I am very eager to find out how they really were, how similar they really are to that of Tolkien's Dwarves. The suspense - it's killing me. I must know.
OMG I love LOTR as well and the dwarves are my favorite race mainly because of my favourite character Gimly or how ever you spell it:p

A dlc all about the Dwemer would intrigue me for many reasons but mainly because I would like to know more about the mechanics and also the magic involved etc.

I would like to play it because i want to know how they all died out, or if they didn't die out where did they go? And there's also something else that puzzled me which was how did one of the dwemer survive?

There just so many questions I would like answers to! I can't wait, but I still have to play the other DLCs first as I haven't even played one!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
This thread is full of win.

And I agree that if Bethesda wanted to bring the Dwemer into existence, now while The Hobbit is out, would be the best time. I do understand the concept that it would signify the end times for the franchise, but you never know. I can only compare it to some of the TV shows my wife watches where there is clearly sexual tensions between characters and they play it out as long as they can before they get together, only for the show to wind down right after. There have been a few shows that successfully pull it off, why couldn't Bethesda? Revealing the Dwemer, obviously, not building up a love interest. :p

Also, I agree that the Dwemer should probably have a whole game dedicated to them. I wouldn't mind some DLC that was Dwemer-centric that perhaps alluded to their existence or hinted at a possible reason why they vanished. But for them to step fully into the light, it should be a whole game worth.

As far as Tolkien goes...you guys have said it the best! I'm big into the Viking Age period of history and it goes without saying that Tolkien was, too. The Hobbit was basically Tolkien's version of Beowulf (which while wasn't a Scandinavian poem, was about the Danes/Swedes). The Dwarves are practically taken straight from Norse myth, but I find The Professor's dwarves always come off seeming a bit selfish. Regardless, I'm with Arillious...I want to know more about the Dwemer and compare them to the modern mythology Tolkien has built for us.

We need more discussions about dwarves on here. :D

Benthos

Proud Mer
I know we had a Dwemer in Morrowind roaming around, maybe since they were also well established in Hammerfell, we may have a future game revisiting them through some resurrection of them but I would rather see the Snow elves in their original forms and not in their grotesque current status.

Grogmar Ghrobash

'Tis better to be alone, then of bad company.
I would like to play it because i want to know how they all died out, or if they didn't die out where did they go? And there's also something else that puzzled me which was how did one of the dwemer survive?

None of the Dwemer died out, they all disappeared. Some speculate that they had transcended themselves to a higher plane, or it was due to their work with the Heart Of Lorkhan. Yagrum Bagarn, the last known dwemer, survived because he was in another demension at the time, an undescribed Outer Realm.

Benthos

Proud Mer
None of the Dwemer died out, they all disappeared. Some speculate that they had transcended themselves to a higher plane, or it was due to their work with the Heart Of Lorkhan. Yagrum Bagarn, the last known dwemer, survived because he was in another demension at the time, an undescribed Outer Realm.
Thanks for correcting me, I didn't catch the outer dimension part.

jaredb

pretty sure we can have at the very least some more Dwemer add on's without cracking open the mystery, lots of little threads tied to dwemer all through the game, you could easily pull a few and get something intresting!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts