1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    Dismiss Notice

18+ Aftermath (A Post-Mass Effect 3 Roleplay)

Discussion in 'Skyrim Roleplaying' started by Simus, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Simus

Simus An Excellent Site Member

Actually I was just guessing of if that's how it works. We should have to travel from relay to relay at FTL speeds. Like switching metro lines to get where you want to go. One relay might only take us so far but there's another a few light years off that will take us the rest of the way. This kind of transit would be especially relevant now since not every relay has been repaired yet. There could be some that the Council never found but still use because it bridges the network gap between two known systems. There are also relays the Council left dormant or just never found. Those would be inoperable as well.

2. EpicVakarian

EpicVakarian Calibration-Master General

Okay. I also like the idea that, in the however long it's been since the Reaper War (I seem to remember it was 20 years?), society has salvaged the Reaper technology left behind, and utilised it to create their own mass relays. Otherwise, places like that batarian colony are cut off for the rest of time :p

3. Simus

Society knows how to build it's own Mass Relays by now simply by building the Crucible and having to completely rebuild the guts of the existing relays. They wouldn't necessarily need reaper tech for that. I feel that any salvage of dead reapers would be extremely limited. Indoctrination is a very real and very serious threat to anyone in the vicinity of a reaper. The derilict reaper you board in Masd Effect 2 was 37 million years old and it turned the entire Cerberus science team into husks. It's only been 30 years since the Reaper War and there are reaper corpses all over the galaxy. Intact since the destroy ending shows them crashing to the ground or falling over, not exploding. There are tens of thousands of these things and they can support millions of reaper soldiers. I imagine that the reapers would somehow sustain their troops through some kind of energy field with a radius of several miles so you couldn't starve them to death without destroying the reaper corpse. Which requires nukes and is a bad idea on your homeworld. Then there are the processor ships, which are still run and maintained by husks and the husks build more of them. These was their last orders and they will carry them out until destruction. So even with big planets like Earth, Palavan and Thessia who have rebuilt there are areas you avoid and areas where fighting's still going on.

Plus there's always the chance that the reapers left VI's in place to command ground forces and continue harvesting. Just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chef Umaril

Chef Umaril Active Member

The relays in the game already work like a metro line, if you watch their paths to the systems, but it'd be more difficult in the RP. "Around your a** to get to your elbow," as my friend would say.

5. EpicVakarian

[​IMG]

So I found this. It doesn't cover the whole galaxy, just that third of it. I could try to find another one, but Exodus Cluster is on there so for now, we're fine :p As you can see, it doesn't seem to difficult to travel between clusters. Most of the clusters have two or more relay connections; the Hades Gamma, Horsehead Nebula, Voyager Cluster and Attican Beta all have five! For any of these systems, I'd say we're fine following the paths set out by the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Simus

Yeah, this is a good visual. Nice work Epic. Most, if not all of three paths will have been rebuilt by now. I just brought this subject up because I didn't want us jumping through six relays in an instant like you can do in the game. Going from Earth to Eden Prime would only take a few hours since it's just one relay away. Going to Terra Nova would take longer since it's in a system without a relay. You'd have to FTL it from the Utopia system, where the Exodus Cluster relay is, to the Asgard system where Terra Nova is. Going from Earth to Virmire on the other hand takes 3 jumps and may take a couple of days. Ilos you couldn't even get to. You'd have to go to Novaria or the Citadel.

I know I'm laboring this but I just want everyone to understand that we have to obey the laws of physics here. We can't just travel anywhere we want to in the galaxy in an instant from anywhere else.

7. EpicVakarian

So the idea is... what? I'm a little confused here. The system works in-game, though obviously sped-up. I would have said it'd take a few hours from Earth to Eden Prime, based on Joker's timings in-game. Then, if you wanted to go to Noveria afterward, you'd go back to the relay, through to the Horsehead Nebula and land on Noveria. What's the issue? :confused:

8. Simus

No issue if you get all that. It takes time to travel the galaxy, even with the Relays, and we all seem to understand that.

By the way, playing through Mass Effect 3 again I noticed it's Reapers, not reapers.

9. Chef Umaril

I think I read somewhere in a codex entry of ME1 that, even at FTL speeds, travel to certain parts of the system can take up to months. Come to think of it, it may have been the entry for the stasis pods in the back of Deck 2. It's been a long time, and I'd have to do some digging to find it. (My copy was stolen and fenced at a pawn shop over a year ago)

10. Simus

I know what you're talking about and without Mass Relays it would take months. With Relays you can get about anywhere in hours or days.

11. Chef Umaril

Okay, I wasn't sure on how exactly it had been explained. That makes more sense, with how quickly events in each of the games happened. If it took months from relay jump to relay jump, the Reapers would have decimated everything before Sheppard could have gathered any decent-sized armies.

12. Simus

13. Colonelscout312

Colonelscout312 The Descendant of Tiber Septim.

Is this still open? I don't know much about Mass Effect, but am possibly going to buy the game, and this looks fun. I would be willing to look into the lore and such to make a CC, but it would take a bit.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

14. Simus

Sure Col. It's open. You wouldn't be part of the official crew since the mission's already started but there's no reason we couldn't pick you up along the way.

15. Phantom

Phantom Uh, I didn't do it

I'm a bit cautious about adding someone that doesn't know the world very well.

No offense new person, but unless you know the world it'd be really hard to mesh into the RP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Simus

Phantom is right Col. I don't have a problem with you joining but if you haven't played the games it'd be difficult to understand the lore.

17. Phantom

Mass Effect has enough background lore to rival Star Wars, or even Elder Scrolls.

18. Seanu Reaves

Seanu Reaves The Shogun of Gaming

She barely let me join :oops:

19. EpicVakarian

The codex is really fluffing big. And that's just the official lore; then you've got the feelings on top of "the quarians were wrong", "the salarians were wrong", "the krogan are misunderstood", etc. There is a lot of stuff to understand, but I think it'd be possible to learn. It just wouldn't be as solid as having played the games, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Phantom

When you can come in here and all I have to say is the line, "Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong." and people burst into gamer tears.