Xbox 360 Advice on something.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BoundByTheWolfBlood

Defiler of the Dead.
Has anyone used a shield with a mage? Is it worth looking into?

Thanks!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I just use Healing with the left hand and a Destruction spell with the right, there is no need to worry about even carrying a shield let alone using one. On the other hand you can equip a shield on one hand and use whatever spell you want with the other hand, it all comes down to personal choice.

JClarke1953

Thanks!

Your Mage can use a shield if you wish. You don't say what level you are, but enchanted shields are helpful, especially if they resist Fire or Cold breath from a Dragon. Or Magic from an opposing Mage or Hargraven.

Nighthiker77

A shield is one of the most powerful things to add to a mage build. You can use deflect arrows and elemental resistance perks with something like the Shield of Solitude, and bash to stun lock anything that gets on top of you.

It's also an extra item with enchantment slots that will take +health or resistances, and increases your armor rating without breaking the mage armor bonus.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Granted, but it all depends on how you want your Mage, whether you want to use Restoration for healing instead of using a shield. At the end of the day it comes down to each person's own preferences.

elderdragonking

Thanks!
If you do the Shrine to Peryite quest you can get the spellbreaker shield which block like 50 points of magic damage because it produces a wardlike affect and has infinite charge. Also, the Dawnguard mage/alchemist has quest every now and then and one of them is where you get the dawngaurd shield which is the same thing as spellbreaker, but uses a weak form of the spell Stendarr's Aura.

Caideus

If y

Thanks!
If you do the Shrine to Peryite quest you can get the spellbreaker shield which block like 50 points of magic damage because it produces a wardlike affect and has infinite charge. Also, the Dawnguard mage/alchemist has quest every now and then and one of them is where you get the dawngaurd shield which is the same thing as spellbreaker, but uses a weak form of the spell Stendarr's Aura.

I would recommend avoiding the Dawngaurd Shield if you are planning to use any shield for your Mage build. Because the affect of the that particular shield requires a butt lode of stamina. Even as a warrior, the shield is a waste. But how Elderdragonking was saying, the Spelldrinker would be a treasure if you are going to pursue the use of a shield.

Manmangler

I start using shield because my warrior died one hit from Draught dead overlord (Or something like that). My health was about hakf aka 425 / 2 = 210.
I was waiting underwater (Waterbreathing enhancment) and ONE arrow hit me instant dead. So I loaded save and charge with sword and shield.

My shield has resistance fire and ice.

So sometimes shied is must.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts