• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I understand that if you never engage that first dragon at the watchtower, as long as you play the game, you will never once have to see or deal with a dragon no matter how long you play or how high you level.

I'm wondering if for RP or some other reason, anybody here has ever played a dragonless world of Skyrim?

Getting tempted to make my first pure caster class whose agenda is in no ways related to being Dragonborn at all, completely other motives for having snuck into Skyrim in the first place.

Have any of you done something like this? What's the longest you lasted before just going ahead and starting that main quest line?

How did that work out for you and what pros & cons might you pass on if you attempted it for very long?

It tempts me to try it, but would be interested in other peoples opinions and experiences regarding this.

Thanks all.

ThriceHeart

Last Hunter of Toru-Manawa
I am currently avoiding the main quest with my Chaotic character Panteraxx, being that he is wanted throughout most of the Holds it can become quite difficult in trying to complete the main quest. I don't think I will ever redo the main quest with another character again.

Roleplaying a character that has no desire in seeing the skyrim's dragon problem fixed can became interesting if it is relevant to the roleplaying style. For example I have been using Panteraxx as a Bandit/Barbarian that lives in a cave, carries out raids on the smaller settlements and attacking wanderers and travellers on the roads of Skyrim.

But when forced to face off against a dragon or a large amount of very pissed Guards that's where I have found him to be lacking, because I do not have the advantage of dragon shouts in combat. But it still makes for great gameplay especially if you manage to defeat said angry NPCs or dragons in a very satisfying mix of shield bashes and axe swings.

My character seeks to rid the world of all Dragons. He believed that he should give them a chance to overcome their destructive nature after Paarthurnax said he would try to help them do so, but he witnessed too much death and destruction caused by dragons to let them exist.

On a less roleplaying note, I tried to do a character that never touched the Main Quest, but I just couldn't, because it's needed to finish the Civil War.

Probably half my games are without dragons. My usual approach is to construct a scenario my character has to complete, and most of these do not require ever triggering the dragons, though I may choose to do so. I find playing without dragons to be an interesting variation, no Shouts or Dragon armor, but no worries about meeting Legendary dragons on a deserted road. Give it a try, if you find you don't like it, you can always start the dragon quest at any time.

OvoidAxhead

When a regular axe just won't cut it.
For every single one of my playthroughs so far, I have kept the dragons out of my game for most of it; I've had it so that the first dragon I encountered was an ancient dragon, I started that late in the game. Speaking of which, does anyone know a way to get dragon scales/encounter dragons without starting the main quest? I know that there is one dragon in blackreach that you can summon with Unrelenting Force (I already stole a mod staff for this purpose, because I haven't unlocked the shout yet), but besides this, where can I get dragon scales?

Urzek

For my alternative character i did avoid the main quest line. But i might add the main quest line in the later part. Like a boost to his power when he discovers he's a dragonborn.

AS88

Staff member
A lot of my characters don't ever touch the MQ. An Altmer I played passed off the rumours as a bunch of idiot Nords getting far too drunk and causing a fire during the night. Obviously everyone died, but a wandering hunter saw the inn burst into flames and assumed the only thing capable of destroying buildings like that would be a dragon. Obviously it was night-time so he claimed it was a black dragon, when he was pressed for details a couple of weeks before Almaril arrived at the port in Dawnstar. :p

For every single one of my playthroughs so far, I have kept the dragons out of my game for most of it; I've had it so that the first dragon I encountered was an ancient dragon, I started that late in the game. Speaking of which, does anyone know a way to get dragon scales/encounter dragons without starting the main quest? I know that there is one dragon in blackreach that you can summon with Unrelenting Force (I already stole a mod staff for this purpose, because I haven't unlocked the shout yet), but besides this, where can I get dragon scales?
But for console users to use Unrelenting Force, you have to start the main quest since Shouts are not active until you do. There is a skeletal dragon in Labarynthian that is independent of your Main Quest status.

Wildroses

I've heard in Dawnguard there are some dragon bones and/or scales somewhere in the vampire castle, but I don't remember any details.

And as far as a world without dragons goes, it is basically most of my Skyrim experience. It doesn't change the gameplay much. I'm a big plan of playing NPC style, inspired by Christopher Livingstone's Elder Strolls series. They don't do any quests, period. It's quite easy not to do any adventures in Skyrim, you just ignore all the NPCs, and if they force conversations on you, just agree to everything if they won't let you disagree, and then never ever do it. In all truth, I actually find it highly amusing how NPCs and the game bend themselves in knots and pepper your journal with quests in an effort to make you do a quest.

I've never felt the urge to do the main quest or side quests on NPC playthroughs. I've made several, but I don't keep those saves, nor regret losing them. I tend to lose interest once they are married, a homeowner (by marriage if I'm hardcore about avoiding lots of dangerous quests, or via Hearthfire if I'm playing more flexibly) with a profession and wealth, which tends to be around levels 20-30. They are the most interesting when you are scrambling for money, worrying about your next meal, and trying to become good at your chosen profession. I personally haven't created characters who do other quests and ignore being Dragonborn, but I know lots of people have without problems.

Ultimately, your reasons for wanting to play a Dragonless Skyrim are what is going to dictate whether or not it will be a good game for you. But avoiding the main quest is super dooper easy. Never walk into Dragonsreach. If you have to to borrow the arcane enchanter or collect a bounty, just ignore Irileth when she tells you to follow her to the Jarl. If you get close enough to have the Jarl force a conversation with you, don't follow him to Farengar after. If you decide you don't want to do what the game wants, there is nothing Skyrim can do to stop you except sulkily write in your journal about what you should be doing.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Ultimately, your reasons for wanting to play a Dragonless Skyrim are what is going to dictate whether or not it will be a good game for you. But avoiding the main quest is super dooper easy. Never walk into Dragonsreach. If you have to to borrow the arcane enchanter or collect a bounty, just ignore Irileth when she tells you to follow her to the Jarl. If you get close enough to have the Jarl force a conversation with you, don't follow him to Farengar after. If you decide you don't want to do what the game wants, there is nothing Skyrim can do to stop you except sulkily write in your journal about what you should be doing.

Or simply don't go to Bleak Falls Barrow. The only aspect of the game (besides the main quest) that forces you to have dragons is the civil war (Balgruuf won't pick sides until you kill the first one and have the after-speech - I presume this was to avoid the potential awkwardness of having Vignar take over if you side Stormcloak and having to redo all the MQ dialogue and animations for Vignar/Brill/Olfina rather than Balgruuf/Proventus/Irileth.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
My current character, Sadani, is a Forsworn wildling and huntress from The Reach. She stalks the wilds collecting pelts for leather and herbs for poultices which she grudgingly barters with the local nords.

She has no care (or even belief) in dragons! But spends her times stalking the desolate expanses of Skyrim. She waylays travelers, harries Stormcloak and Imperial patrols alike. But the real thrill for her is raiding giant camps. For giants are mighty, and one must be fleet of foot and clever in arms to fell them.

And she looks wild with her face-paint and forsworn headdress! I'm playing her like a berserker, light armor and heavy weapons. She's also more than adequate with a bow and quite sneaky.

I've avoided the main quest thus far, but I have worked on Dawnguard. Which is now sending me after the Elder Scroll of dragons, so I guess I need it. She views Serana with a superstitious reverence. A fearful awe, sort of like a Hagraven. A creature of old and powerful magic. So she does whatever she's told.

Twiffle

This idea is something i have never considered although i have heard a whisper, lol.
seriously though this does sound like it could be fun, a world without dragons, i think a theme like some of the ones i have read is a must, i dont think just going through doing anything and everything is good.

So im gonna have a think of summat, or if anyone wants to suggest summat,

Adam Warlock

Dragon Bones can be obtained without the main quest if you have Dawnguard DLC as a sample will respawn in Valerica`s Study at Castle Volkihar.
There is a Shrine of Akatosh on a hill just north of Rorikstead that respawns Dragon Scales.

It will take some revisits at appropriate times but it`s possible to have Dragon armor and/or Dragonbone weapons without the dragons rising.

Morgan

I have quite a few chars with no dragons. On PC if you run Alternative Live Another Life mod, in fact, you typically don't start the MQ. However, even in vanilla, I picture it from my peasant nobody's perspective: Does he miraculously escape a dragon attack only to run towards where it went, following a) an Imperial who was trying to kill him ten minutes before or b) the rebels that have an entire army and possibly a dragon trying to kill them? Scew you both, I'm going to Falkreath!

[edit: correct name of mod]

OvoidAxhead

When a regular axe just won't cut it.
Dragon Bones can be obtained without the main quest if you have Dawnguard DLC as a sample will respawn in Valerica`s Study at Castle Volkihar.
There is a Shrine of Akatosh on a hill just north of Rorikstead that respawns Dragon Scales.

It will take some revisits at appropriate times but it`s possible to have Dragon armor and/or Dragonbone weapons without the dragons rising.

That works out great! I already have 7 dragon bones from a non-MQ dragon I killed, so now I'll just take all of the dragon scales I need from the shrine (my character worships Akatosh anyways, so it'll work out RP-wise). Thanks!

Onley my main character did the main quest even though its my faveroute quest line it just dosent suit my other characters to do it though i am thinking of makeing a nord that will if i make him be doing it.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I made one character solely for the Civil War. He wore stormcloak armor everywhere, and he was a diehard nord Sword n Board. I ended up invading Solitude in the quest, then "Executing" civilians, which entailed invading the city.

Baelor

I understand that if you never engage that first dragon at the watchtower, as long as you play the game, you will never once have to see or deal with a dragon no matter how long you play or how high you level.

I'm wondering if for RP or some other reason, anybody here has ever played a dragonless world of Skyrim?

Getting tempted to make my first pure caster class whose agenda is in no ways related to being Dragonborn at all, completely other motives for having snuck into Skyrim in the first place.

Have any of you done something like this? What's the longest you lasted before just going ahead and starting that main quest line?

How did that work out for you and what pros & cons might you pass on if you attempted it for very long?

It tempts me to try it, but would be interested in other peoples opinions and experiences regarding this.

Thanks all.

I've beaten the MQ twice, and don't plan to ever do it again. The random dragon attacks get about as old and boring as anything I've ever seen.

I currently just roleplay. Again I have no intention of EVER doing the MQ again. I've leveled up several characters of all different types, none of which were "dragonborn" and never did the MQ. It has been the most fun I've had in Skyrim.

MY problem is I get to around level 30 and want to create a new type of character. :)

Clau

The Fateless One
My first Dragon-Free Skyrim experience was when I opted for my second (now deleted) vampire mage.

My first vampire build got crispy fried every time by fire dragons and I stood no chance whatsoever.Each time I wander off into a new area, there will be a swooping dragon. My enchanting skills were still paltry to make fire null equipment. So frustration got the best of me.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I'm currently playing a Dragon-free world right now. It's a very, very different feeling not having to worry about fire raining on me at any second. Plus, the game is fun without playing as the hero. I just wander around, do odd quests here and there and just explore. It's been a lot of fun.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts