1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Dismiss Notice

A High Priestess of Slyrim - Chapter 20

Discussion in 'Skyrim Fan Fiction' started by Bren, Mar 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bren

Bren New Member

Chapter 20

30th of First Seed

“If you wish it then of course I will arrange it.” Aric said. “But Lydia would not have offered if it were any inconvenience.”

“You are both very generous, but I would not deprive her of the opportunity to spend time with her daughters.” I said. “And you have much more important considerations than to give me lessons in swordsmanship.”

It took some time last night for sleep to finally find me as I lay in my borrowed bed in Lydia’s bedroom. It was my own fingers that massaged my shoulder slowly, a shadow of a reminder of the evening before. But my skin had not quite forgotten Aric’s touch, and the memory made me smile as stronger memories still filled my mind.

It was during our morning meal that I made my request.

“I would not have been in such a desperate state in the Rift if I had been a better swordsman.” I said. “Railius was a solider and skilled, but too kind to be an effective teacher. If I was struck it would end the lesson and he would fuss over me for an hour.”

“I would be happy to assist you.” Lydia said. “I will talk to Adrianne this morning about practice armor for you.”

“You are very kind, and I would appreciate the armor very much, but perhaps it is best to find a teacher to whom I am simply another student.” I said.

“In that case, I suggest Amren, but Aric will certainly know someone who will serve.” She said.

“Amren would do well as a teacher for now.” Aric said. “Your technique will improve greatly with his teaching. But he teaches single sword only. If you wish to become proficient in wielding two swords as you did on the road you will eventually need another teacher. Until then Amren will teach you right hand and left separately. You would also benefit from a small potion to help your muscles retain the memory of the training. And, of course, healing potions to help with the bruises you will definitely have after training sessions.”

“I see you intend to fill me to overflowing with your potions once again, sir.” I said. “I will not know my left hand from my right.”

“I will be happy to reacquaint you.” He said, as his left hand found my right.

“I refuse to give in to my urge to wrap my arms around your neck and reacquaint myself with your lips.” I said “Circumstances require discretion. We are packed too close, and too many of us wish your attention. I will not make myself a burden to you or Lydia.”

“You are no burden; you know that well enough.” He said.

“I do.” I said. “And you know well enough that you have my heart. I know you will not mistake my behavior. Lydia and Jordis have had time to come to terms with sharing you. They do not hang on your neck or look longingly. I must emulate them while we reside together.”

“You must do what is right for you.” He said. “whatever that is. Your happiness is the only thing that matters.”

“I will spare you my description of unbridled happiness, as it is not likely to ever become reality.” I said. “But it is very sweet of you to place my happiness so high. And now, sir, since I feel my resolve will fail me before long, let us each be about our immediate business. For me that involves a visit to the armorer that stands so conveniently near your home. Lydia will see me fitted with practice armor before she lets me out of her sight.”

“in that case madam, my immediate task will be to secure you an instructor, as well as a supply of potions.” He said.

“Give you description of the training, perhaps it would be best to see to the potions first.” I said.

“How does that feel your Grace?” she asked me.

“I am not qualified to have an opinion.” I answered. “I must rely entirely on your expertise.”

“You two are very close in size.” Adrianne said to Lydia. “This should serve her well.”

“My ignorance is entirely my own fault good Lady.” I said. “I am not used to wearing a tunic and breeches, let alone padding and any sort of armor.”

“take hold of the sword your grace. Face the post, imagine it is your assailant in the Rift, and send him to Oblivion.” Lydia said.

“You were attacked in the Rift your Grace?” Adrianne asked

“Yes.” I answered. “I would have died if not for the Thane.”

“you wore no armor?” she asked.

“No.” I replied. “It is not the custom of our order to wear armor. We are an order of the Religious, not an order of Warriors.” I said, before realizing. “We were an order of Religious.” I corrected myself.

By her reaction I knew she understood me.

“These are dangerous, unsettled times good Armorer.” I said. “I am resolved to not be a victim again. My skill was lacking. I mean to correct that error.”

“Your Grace has the right of it.” She said. “these are indeed dangerous times. May I speak plainly?” she asked

“Please do.” I answered.

“You can no longer afford to rely on the protection of a priests robes.” She said. “All veneer of civilization has been stripped away. Bandits, brigands, soldiers, assassins; none of them will respect your position as a Priestess. The time for robes is ended. I have armored more Imperial soldiers that I can count. I ask you, allow me the honor of protecting you with armor fit for a high Priestess. It will fit you like a glove, like a second skin. It will become part of you. You will very quickly forget that it is there. If you had been so armored in the Rift you would have met the Thane under very different circumstances.”

It was eloquence. It was also truth. If I had been armored in the Rift, in the mine, on the southern road, I would have fared much better. It seemed that my life had become a warrior’s life. I had admitted as much when I asked for training.

“I am curious what my host and mentor councils I should do.” I said.

“In that case, your Grace, I would council you to never walk out this, or any other city gate, without being armed and armored.”

“Samuel asked me if there was such a thing as a warrior priest. I answered that if he willed it so then the answer was yes.” I said, “It seems that I must chose to be a warrior Priestess.”

“If you will leave it in my hands your grace, I will see to everything.” Adrianne said.

I looked at Lydia.

“You are in good hands, your Grace.” She said.

“Very well.” I said. “It seems that I am entirely in your hands, good Lady.” I said.

“Very good, your Grace.” Adrianne said. “Now, grasp your sword and strike the post.”

“You father said to me once that he never sought out this life, that he only wanted a land at peace and to raise his family. I thought of those words as your mother and I returned from the armorer.” I said

I still wore the breeches and tunic that Lydia had provided me for the fitting of my practice armor, Lucia’s invitation to join her for a leisurely ride having left me little time to change. We were at the stable while our horses were being saddled.

Lucia seemed about to speak but stopped herself with a small laugh.

“What is it?” I asked

“I was about to offer an opinion on the Divines and their plans for us” she said, “before realizing that I am in no position to lecture a Priestess on divinity.”

“Come now, friend, we have been traveling together too long for that.” I said. “You do not need to mince your words so finely on my behalf. In any case, I have no special insight into what the Divines intend.”

“Then I will say that the Divines lay several paths before us from which we can choose. Some are plainly marked and straight; the destination at the end is clear, even from the start. Other paths are less obvious, and parts are shrouded in mist, or pass through dense wood, and require a guide for us to navigate successfully.”

“I see the gift for poetry runs in your family.” I said.

She smiled. “The Divines chose whom they guide…” she began.

“…and whom they lead astray.” I finished, with a smile to match hers.

“Your path recently has been quite difficult and filled with pain and loss.” She said. “All of us have a choice before us now. We can hide behind city walls, emerging some time hence to a land of someone else’s making and bend ourselves to fit into it, or we can put on our armor, prepare our weapons, and venture forth to assert our claim, our right, to have a say in what the land will resemble when our children walk their own path. I applaud the choice you have made.”

The words had left my lips before I knew they existed. “You will be a Queen of Tamriel if there is any justice in the world.”

Her face blushed as she smiled down at me from her greater height. “You are much too generous, friend.” She said, as she reproduced the warriors clasp we had shared at the Jarl’s hunting lodge.

“It appears we will have company on the path we travel today.” I said as Vilkas approached the stable.

“Honor to you Companion” I said, “The Divines bless us with your company this morning.”

“Reverend Mother.” He said. “Your attire led me astray. I did not recognize you until I was upon you. From a distance you resembled Lucia’s mother.”

“My attire is, indeed, borrowed from Lydia sir.” I answered. “I was informed that one could not be fitted for armor wearing the robes of a Priestess.”

“Armor, your Grace?” he asked.

“Yes. The life of a warrior Priestess has been thrust upon me it seems. There is no point in denying it further.” I said. “I will embrace it, and do my utmost to excel in it, until such time when I can put off the trappings of war and once again embrace the religious life.”

“I beg your Grace not to risk your safety in these dangerous times.” Vilkas said. “I will offer myself, my arm and my sword and my life, as your protection. Allow me and my brethren to face and danger in your place.”

Lucia smiled at the brave companion while he spoke. “It is a very noble offer sir” I said, “But Skyrim is my home, and I will not leave the defense of my home or my person solely in the hands of others, however brave and honorable they are. I must play my part.”

“We are going riding.” Lucia said to him, “if you are free, please join us.”

They smiled at each other as he answered.

“Lady, I am yours.”

“What can that possibly be?” Vilkas asked.

“Nothing good.” Lucia replied.

Lucia offered to show me the fort where Aric had taken her for her ‘debut’ as she referred to it. We were approaching a watchtower that stood between the fort and Whiterun and were presented with an image that made my heart lurch.

Ten Thalmor soldiers stood by the road. Three Whiterun City guards stood at the entrance to the ruined tower. A Justiciar was speaking with a guard. We were still too far away to hear what was being said.

“You grace, are you armed?” Lucia asked

“As armed as I was on the southern road” almost escaped my lips before I recalled that Vilkas knew nothing of our involvement.

“As armed as the Gods and my training and skill allow.” I said.

“We cannot risk the Reverend Mother’s safety.” Vilkas said to Lucia. “Take her and ride back. I will investigate.”

“By a strange coincidence, I was about to say exactly those words to you.” Lucia said to him in response, a smile forming on her face.

“I will die before I leave the guard to face those people so outnumbered.” Vilkas answered.

‘Those people’ was clearly not meant as a compliment.

“Well, Companion, we cannot have that.” I said before putting my horse to a canter and riding towards the tower.

“Gods.” I heard from two voices behind me.

“I don’t care what you think, you Thalmor bastard.” Could be heard clearly now. “And this ain’t the Summerset Isles. Take your shiny troops and bugger off.”

“You are impudent, sergeant.” the Justiciar said. “The White-gold Concordat give me authority to investigate Talos worship without interference.”

“Well, I ain’t never read it, so you can take that Concordat with you when you BUGGER OFF!” The sergeant replied.

The conversation stopped at our approach, as their attention turned to us.

“Gentlemen,” I began, “What has tempers so raised on this blessed day? Surely, we are all the Gods’ creatures, and as such we should show each other respect.”

Lucia and Vilkas had not been far behind. We were all three now on foot, my companions to my left and right and slightly behind.

As I was riding closer to the tower, I recalled Railius’ words: ‘fear is something you feel before a battle, when you have time to think about it.’ I had more than enough time to acknowledge the truth of it. I had no desire for another battle neither small, nor large. But Vilkas’ words had struck a chord within me, the memory of Jyte and Kirste reborn in my mind. This is as good a place as any to begin my defense of my home. I thought.

“Who are you, and what business is it of yours?” the Justiciar asked me.

“My name is Noxaura, I am a High Priestess of the Maetreum of Cybele, and this land in which you stand is my home.” I said. “Since you disturb my home, it is most certainly my business.”

“You do not dress like a High Priestess.” The Justiciar said.

“What is your name, sir?” I asked.

“I am Justiciar Viariss Larethal.” He replied.

“You will forgive my attire, Justiciar Viariss Larethal” I said, “You chose to disturb my home on my riding day.”

The guards at the tower entrance were clearly nervous. The Thalmor soldiers were relaxed, almost bored. It appeared that they did not think they were in any danger. They did not know the very great danger they faced in the tall statuesque figure that wore armor almost identical to theirs.

“Sergeant, Justiciar, would one of you please explain the nature of this disagreement?” I asked.

“There is a fugitive hiding in the tower.” The Justiciar began.

“There is a citizen of Skyrim seeking refuge in the tower.” The sergeant said.

“He is an escaped prisoner. We will not leave until he is again in our custody.” The Justiciar said.

“How do you know he is your escaped prisoner?” I asked, “How close to the tower were you when he escaped and sought refuge here?”

“He escaped us at the bridge north of the fort that stands hard by.” the Justiciar replied.

“And you followed him closely as you pursued him hear?” Lucia asked.

It seemed that only then did the Justiciar notice Lucia.

“You were the armor of an Elf.” He said.

“You are mistaken, sir.” She answered, with a look that did not bode well for the Justiciar, “I wear the armor of several elves, the previous owners having no further use for it.”

“It is a fair question, sir.” I said. “How closely did you track him?”

“We lost sight of him but tracked him hear.” He said, never looking away from Lucia.

“So, it is possible that the man in the tower is not your fugitive.” I said

“It is not possible. This is our fugitive. We will not leave without him.”

“I am the daughter of a Thane of Whiterun.” Lucia said. “I need no one’s council to interpret the Concordat. This is a matter to put before the Jarl. His authority rules here.”

“I do not recognize any authority but my own.” The Justiciar said.

“I did not think you would.” Lucia said, as she extended her arms straight down, dropped to a crouch, and struck the ground with both palms.

The shock of the earthquake dislodged stones from the tower. Everyone was thrown to the ground except Lucia who was still crouched where she was, her palms still pressed against the earth. Energy was swirling from beneath her hands and spreading up her arms. I was not sure what I was witnessing, but I did not have time to ponder further.

I had not brought my rings, or my dagger. I had my cloak but no potions. I cast ebony skin and my bound sword and, as the Justiciar was regaining his feet I removed his head, and the battle began in earnest.

The guard and Thalmor began to exchange arrows. The guards had cover, the Thalmor had none. Vilkas had drawn his greatsword and begun to engage the nearest Thalmor when Lucia began to straighten, unfolding her tall frame and bringing her arms up as she rolled her hands in a fashion I had seen before. The four Thalmor she had targeted began to lift into the air as their bodies began to twist, their faces showing how excruciating their last few moments of life were. I did not watch to the end, as their armor finally twisted and crushed around them, the invisible hand I had first seen on the southern road reaching out once again. Vilkas was taking a toll with his greatsword as I was finding targets for my ice spikes. I was about to raise some of the Thalmor to add to our numbers when I realized that there were no Thalmor left alive.

The silence after battle was deafening. None of us moved from where we were when the battle ended, standing like posts, viewing the carnage. The guards at the tower entrance were the first to move, walking down to the road to view the field of battle closer. Finally, the fugitive in the tower emerged. The shock plain on his face.

“You are wounded sergeant.” I said.

It took him a moment to locate the wound on his shoulder where a Thalmor sword had found its way past his guard and pierced his armor.

“That?” he asked “That’s nothing, lass. I never felt it. I’ll bandage that up in no time.”

I could not help but smile, which he noticed. “Forgive me, sergeant. You remind me of my father. He was a solider, and a sergeant as well, and spoke much like you do.”

“Your father did not yell bugger off so frequently, surely.” Lucia said.

“He was never profane in my presence, though there were times that Mother Catilia tried his patience.”

“I meant no disrespect you Grace.” The Sergeant said.

“You do not disrespect, sergeant. Now, let me see your shoulder.”

The carnage was dispersed along the road, but the guards were all clustered around the remains of four crushed, twisted Thalmor. I had seen the two on the southern road and did not wish to refresh my memory.

The guards were not the only ones in that group of men. Vilkas stood there as well, his greatsword still in his hand, the blade resting on his shoulder. He had seen all. He had seen her strike the earth, he had experienced the quake that had thrown all of us to the ground. He had seen the energy swirling from the earth and up her arms. He had watched the ballet of death as she slowly rose, the elegance of her arms and hands as they moved. He looked now at what that dance had wrought.

They had no idea in how deadly a school we have been trained she had said. It was clear from Vilkas’ face how true those words were.

Vilkas walked back to where Lucia and I were standing as I tended the sergeant’s shoulder. The guards watched him as he rejoined us, but their vision shifted quickly to the tall, regal, figure in elven armor that had wielded power with such terrible effect. Again, they were not alone in that group.

I had thought I had seen worship on his face before when he looked at her. The look on his face now could not be described with words.

“If you continue to stand and stare, I will begin to think that you received a blow to the head.” She said to him.

“I have been struck dumb beyond any doubt.” He said “but not by any Thalmor. I simply do not know what words are appropriate when addressing a Goddess.”

They smiled at each other as their hands clasped and I found a task that required me to be elsewhere.

“sergeant, please have one of your men retrieve our horses. We need to inform the Jarl immediately what transpired. The fugitive must give testimony. Please do better at keeping hold of him than the Thalmor did.”

“Yes, your Grace.” He replied, as he eased his arm back into his armor.

“And impress upon all of them, guards, and fugitive, that they are not to speak of anything they saw here. Not the slightest detail.”

“That won’t be hard your Grace. None of them want a Thalmor Legion on Whiterun’ s doorstep.” He said.

“Eleven dead elves for the sake of one man” I said. “I initiated this. I forced my companions to become involved. If I had turned and ridden in the opposite direction, they would have followed, and this battle could have been avoided. Did I do right?”

“Your Grace” he said, “it is not my place to say.”

“Forgive me sergeant” I said, “I have again confused you with my father.”

“Then if your grace will not be insulted, I will speak as if you were kin to me.” he said.

“You will not offend.” I said.

“If you had ridden away there would four dead guards, me included, and that man there as good as dead.” He said. “We was never going to give him up without a fight. They think the Concordat gives them the right to do as they please. Maybe it does, but I never agreed to it, and I won’t bend the knee to them.”

“What is your name sergeant?” I asked.

“Alens, your Grace. Sergeant Alens.” He said

“Thank you sergeant Alens for standing in my father’s place.” I said.

“Your Grace, I am honored.” He said.

“Please excuse me, I must confer with my companions.”

“It must be you.” Vilkas said. “You are the fastest rider. There is no one who could keep pace with you, let alone best you. We will only slow your progress.”

“Vilkas and I will be safe until you return.” I said. “I would not rest easy leaving this small guard to explain the carnage on the road. Speed is what is called for now. There is yet a chance that this can be concealed, but we must do so quickly.”

“I am not comfortable with this plan.” Lucia said.

“I know.” Vilkas said. “But we have no choice. Ride hard. Inform the Jarl. Return quickly. And do not forget the carts.”

“Honored Jarl, if there is fault to be found then it must be mine.” I said. “It was my decision to interfere. It was my actions that brought this situation to your council chamber.”

“The Reverend Mother is too quick to forget that hers was not the first voice to suggest that an intersession was necessary.” Lucia said.

“The Thane’s eldest daughter is correct” Vilkas said, “And I am sure, when asked, that she will also recall that hers was also not the first voice to suggest an intersession was necessary.”

“It is not a contest.” Lucia said to him.

“It never is” he replied, the smile almost splitting his face in half, “When one does not finish first.”

“Peace, I beg you.” Jarl Balgruf said to the pair, “A moments peace so I may consider what has landed on our doorstep.”

It was an entire company that responded to Lucia’s news, led, at least in part, by the Jarl’s housecarl; that part that was not led by the Thane of Whiterun.

“There must surely be no one left in Whiterun.” I said as I saw the vanguard force: Aric, Lydia, Jordis, Rigel, Lucia, Runa, Sophie, Colette, and Farkas.

“do not be surprised to find a rearguard made up of Companions and warriors that would gladly fight and die for the Thane and his family.” Vilkas said as he watched the column approach.

“Do I see correctly?” I asked. “Are those lances?”

“Yes.” He answered as both of us observed Sophie and Colette in the vanguard. “They are rangers when afoot, and lancers when ahorse. They practice by pulling small pickets that are partially buried in the ground at a full gallop. We should arrange a demonstration. It is a sight to see.”

It was, perhaps, predictable that it would be Lucia, Runa and Farkas that would gallop to the fore and reach us first.

“Did we not agree that you would allow others their fair share?” Farkas asked his brother.

“As I recall it, Brother, you declined the opportunity, and I was forced to set out alone.” Vilkas said.

“I declined the opportunity to stand by and watch the two of you, for the one-thousandth time, make eyes at each other and take the long way around the barn rather than the direct path to what you both clearly desire.” Farkas answered. “You did not inform me that you had made other arrangements.”

“Your brother is blameless in this, Companion.” I said. “This dance was arranged by someone else. I am responsible for this.”

“Never in life, your Grace.” Vilkas said. “We three were of one mind. You simply took your opportunity while Lucia and I were arguing about who would be first.”

“This column could ride to Whiterun and back again in less time.” Runa said.

“it was not really an argument about priority.” Lucia said, “It was more a discussion about gender roles.”

“It was no such thing.” Vilkas said. “I thought at the time that it was my responsibility to protect you both. Now that I am better informed, I freely admit my error.”

“Your protection was invaluable good Knight.” I said. “I was completely unprepared.”

“The Justiciar whose body lies several feet from his head would disagree your Grace.” Vilkas replied.

“That was your handiwork your Grace?” Sophie asked, with a look on her face that I had seen from another sister on another road.

“I am ashamed to admit that the first blow struck was mine.” I said.

“I recall a blow that preceded yours that threw us all to the ground.” Vilkas said.

“What happened to these four?” Farkas asked as he stood over the Thalmor that Lucia had crushed.

“We will discuss it another time.” Vilkas said, using a hand signal that ended all questions.

Almost all questions.

“Does the tower seem to lean a bit more to the right than is usual?” Runa asked.

“Was the man in the tower the fugitive that escaped the Thalmor after all?” the Jarl asked.

“Yes.” Irileth said

“Who is he?” Balgruf asked

“Just a man morning his wife. He was taken at the Shrine of Talos west of Fellglow Keep when he was placing a keepsake at the shrine.” She answered.

“We are familiar with that shrine.” Balgruf said as he looked at Aric. “Elisif gave my brother Torygg's War Horn to place at that shrine in memory of her husband.”

That marked the beginning of his relationship with Elisif. A journey that began with pain and grief and ended with Aric wearing her wedding ring on a chain around his neck. It is not what should have passed through my mind when we were discussing a danger much more immediate to Whiterun.

“The Thalmor are familiar with it as well.” Aric said, “They frequently confront worshipers at that shrine.”

“does his account of his escape match the account given by the headless Justiciar?” Balgruf asked, glancing at me for a moment.

“Yes.” Irileth said. “He jumped off the bridge, swam down river, hid among the rocks, and traveled south, passing to the west of the fort before finally reaching the tower.”

“In that case, something is out of place.” Aric said. “Northwatch Keep would normally be their destination for a prisoner such as this. Granted, they had a journey before them, but I have never known Thalmor escorting prisoners to strike off cross country to save time. They prefer to parade prisoners on the main roads to display their dominance.”

“It they traveled west across country from the Shrine that would place them just slightly north of the bridge.” Balgruf said as he consulted his map.

“It is very good navigation for anyone who is not familiar with the terrain.” Irileth said.

“There is more to this than meets the eye.” Balgruf said. “we will add this to our list of topics when we meet in Privy Council with the Jarl of Morthal tomorrow.”

“My Jarl, may I request the presence of the Reverend Mother at the Privy Council?” Aric asked. It felt as if my heart had moved up and lodged in my throat. “She was present and can give personal testimony.”

“I am delighted for any opportunity to spend time with the Reverend Mother.” Balgruf said as he smiled at me. “She may certainly attend if it will not inconvenience her.”

It would inconvenience me greatly. It would inconvenience my digestion if nothing else. I wanted nothing of the affairs of Jarls. I was already too involved in this matter.

“I will be honored to attend, Jarl, and I will pray that the Divines guide us to the truth.” I said.

“Well stated your Grace.” Balgruf said. “It only remains for me to bid you all good night. I will see some of you in the council tomorrow.”

We paused under the Gildergreen to bid goodnight to the twin brothers.

“Brave Companion” I said, “Thank you for your protection today. I do not doubt that I owe you my life.”

“It is very generous of you your Grace” he said, “But I have enough experience to know a warrior Priestess when I see one in combat. You needed no one’s protection.”

“But I did Sir Knight.” I responded. “I am not so brave as you may think. I have not had to be in my cloistered life. Your protection, and the protection of that tall woman who looks at you so lovingly, allowed me to be brave. If not for you two I might not have acted. I regret that I placed you both in danger.”

“We may save our discussion over who was brave and who was in danger for another time, your Grace.” He said. “For my part, I would fight alongside you again even to the gates of Oblivion.”

“You are very kind.” I said, as I glanced at Lucia. “Now, I believe you two are owed some privacy. For myself, I see a hot bath in my future, followed by much needed rest.”

“Excellent advice for us all.” Aric said and he hugged his daughter, exchanged a warrior’s clasp with Vilkas, and led the rest of his family home.

We were surprised upon opening the door to see a figure sitting by the fire with a cup of wine.

“I had begun to be concerned.” Serana said as she rose from her chair, “The house is not usually empty at this time of night.”

We all stood for a moment in the silence before a short laugh escaped Aric’s lips.

“Have I missed something?” Serana asked.

#1 Bren, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021