4gb launcher and sound issues

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tyguy7760

Has anyone had any issues with the 4gb launcher and sound issues. I downloaded the 4gb launcher and now my sound effects are missing. Things like casting a fire spell, picking a lock, etc have no accompanying sounds. Also, the voices for NPCs seem muffled or distant when they are speaking with me. Any ideas?

Ks17

You should first try running Skyrim again without the 4GB launcher and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, then you can be completely sure its the 4GB thing causing the sound issue and not anything else. Also, try going to your control panel, the sound options, and right clicking on the enable speakers. Click properties, then head to the advanced tab in the new window. Select the 24 bit, 44100 hz (Studio Quality) option and apply the changes. This fixes many sound issues people have with Skyrim. Lemme know if it works!

tyguy7760

Way ahead of you. The sound issues occur whether i use the 4gb launcher or not. If i launch skyrim normally it still has the sound issues. Am I using the 4gb launcher the correct way? All I did was make a folder and extracted everything into that folder and use the exe to launch skyrim from there. I didn't have to do anything else did i?

Also, the 24 bit 44100 hz (Studio Quality) option was my default option to begin with.

tyguy7760

Hmm...seems like others are having similar issues. This may be unrelated to the 4gb launcher. Also, when NPC's talk to me, and they are muffled, If I turn away from them, the sound comes through better.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I have to ask if you got this game legally? Some of the illegal downloads for this game were missing some of the sound files, not to mention the .bsa was corrupt for a lot of people.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Have you checked the games cache and run an integrity check? It's usually the first thing to do when you got a faulty steam game.

tyguy7760

No I have not. How would I go about doing that? Would this affect my mods I have installed (not that big of an issue) or screw up the 4gb launcher?

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
You right click the game in steam and go to properties, there you will see an integrity check section. It will not affect any of your mods or your 4GB launcher because these are standalone and are only loaded when the game starts.

tyguy7760

Yeah no luck. Did that and it's still doing it. I've seen where people are complaining about skyrim forcing 5.1 sound when they have 2.1...I checked and my system is set for stereo. It's just very odd that when I talk to NPC's I can't hear them but when I turn my head I hear them fine.

tyguy7760

So I'm pretty sure it's something that any sound source that is happening DIRECTLY in front of me is not working. Because if I talk to someone and turn to the left or right it works. If I cast a spell then turn immediately to the left or right it sounds fine.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I meant did you check your sound settings for the system while you were playing the game, you know alt+tab and check. Oh and what OS do you have?

tyguy7760

Windows Vista 64. Yes I have done that and completely shut out and messed with them too. Nothing. There are other people having this issue as well but I haven't found a solid answer. I don't know if I mentioned this but it wasn't always doing this. It just started happening after I installed the 4gb launcher (I think it has nothing to do with that and was coincidence)

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Ouch vista. I assume you're playing in compatibility mode? If you can hear from certain angles it has to be dealing with 5.1 surround. It only makes sense if you think about it. I don't really know what to recommend after this.

tyguy7760

I know that has to be the thing. But I have no idea how to have it be stereo. Every place on windows I have the oppurtunity to turn it to stereo I do but for whatever reason that's not doing it

tyguy7760

I FIXED IT FOR THE LOVE OF TALOS!!!!

Ok so I messed around with a bunch of things so I can't be 100% sure this is what fixed it but I'm pretty sure it is. I have the real tek drivers. There is a forum at bethesda addressing this issue here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1265554-audiovolume-issues-too-low/page__st__20

Apparently this fixed it for 99% of the people. HOWEVER it did not fix it for me. It did make everything louder but things that were happening directly in front of me were still so quiet it may as well have been absent. This is when i tried everything from trying to make my speakers go through the headphones to making everything mute and testing one thing at a time.

Well I had resigned myself to just have to deal with it. So I went back and switched my real tek back to stereo. I noticed in the bottom right there was this option to enable/disable "Virtual Surround"...so I said ehh it's worth a shot. SHAZAM!! It worked. Fixed my center volume being negated, even fixed my overall low volume.

No idea what caused this in the first place but there you go. For all to see

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Nice, so did you enable or it disable it? Ah well at least now you can finally listen to the game without changing angles.

tyguy7760

Oh I disabled it. Don't know what that will do to the overall sound. I guess I won't be able to tell the directionality of the sounds anymore. Small price to pay to actually be able to hear things. Thanks for the assistance though

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts