1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    Dismiss Notice

Private {18+} Ascension

Discussion in 'Active Stories' started by Madrar, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Madrar

Madrar The Shadow in the Dark.

Thalien lead the reduced company of mercenaries out of Falkreath, onto the road bound for Markarth. Tallpine trees stretched up like sentinels, watching their progress. A light fog hovered over the ground, obscuring it, and pale grey clouds drifted on by overhead. As the company marched towards the border of the Reach, it became obvious they were not the only ones on the road. Columns of imperial legionnaires, local levies, and surprisingly, a few merchant caravans passed them by. The merchants were headed south, towards Pale Pass, and the more civilized parts of the empire. It was one such caravan that stopped upon seeing Thalien and the others. The lead driver called for a halt and waved to the half-nord.

Frowning, Thalien lifted his arm in greeting, wondering what the man wanted. If he was seeking to hire them as guards back to Cyrodiil, he was going to be disappointed. "Good morning!" the man called out as he approached the mercs. "Or, at least as good as it gets in this miserable province, eh?"

Cautiously, he nodded, "something I can help you with, friend?"

"Oh no. Well, that is, I was wondering if you're headed towards Markarth." The merchant asked, passing an eye over the assembled warriors and mages.

"Looks like it. Unless this road leads somewhere other than the Reach." Thalien responded, his patience growing thin. It was hard enough making progress on foot. Stopping to chat with merchants would only delay them further.

"Then I should pass on a warning a friend of mine gave to me. One traveler to another: Beware the forsworn. There's been a huge jump in caravan raids and even attacking legion camps. I'm not risking my goods. We'll find somewhere else to sell them."

Thalien frowned, and thanked the man for his warning, before sending him on his way. The news of Forsworn in the Reach was troubling, but not unexpected. Growing up in High Rock, he'd heard stories of the men who consorted with half-bird half-hag creatures in western Skyrim. He'd never met any himself, and he would have thought that the empire would have wiped the scattered savages off the map already. "This just keeps getting better and better." He looked over his shoulder, to the perpetually scowling wood elf. "We're still a couple days march from the Reach. Once we get there, I'd ask you to scout ahead of us, and warn us of any surprises lurking in the hills."

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheArgonianDrell

TheArgonianDrell Well-Known Member

The mercenary group split up in the morning, with a small handful headed out to some imperial outpost near the city of Solitude. Iornath didn't pretend to care, instead joining the others as they left the gloomy town of Falkreath behind and made their way west, towards the Reach and High Rock. They were well under way when a merchant headed in the opposite direction flagged down Thalien. The wood elf ignored the conversation in favour of keeping an eye on their surroundings. He didn't intend to be caught by surprise by another band of rebels again. So he was surprised when their leader walked up to him. The elf listened to his concerns, and nodded once. He was not familiar with the forsworn, or whatever conflict they had with the empire. At the same time, they sounded little different than the bandit horde that had attacked outside of the Pale Pass. "My eyes are yours" he agreed quietly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Morbidbread

Morbidbread Fight for the lost

The dawn came and with it, the mercenary company, those that had not departed earlier, made for the road. Soon they were out of the miserable remnant of civilization that was Falkreath, and headed towards the Reach. From there, as Elrasur understood it, they would make for the city of Markarth, and beyond that, High Rock. Elrasur did not relish the thought of completing their task, but he had already come to terms with it. So, he took the opportunity to enjoy the quiet morning march, in the foggy and damp forest of Falkreath hold. The rain had come to a stop, for the most part, though the sun had yet to make an appearance.

The morning quiet was broken as they troop came across a rather large merchant caravan, headed the opposite direction. The former assassin frowned as he watched them pass by. Most, if not all of their wagons were filled with goods, yet the merchants seemed to be imperial. One of the merchants, apparently their leader, hopped down from his own carriage and met with Thalien. The two spoke for a few moments, before the mercenary and merchant went their seperate ways. It was not long after that he spotted the breton talking to the bosmer ranger. The elf that seemed to have a perpetual scowl on his pale features. Though he was not trying to eavesdrop, he did pick up the word 'forsworn'.

The elf said something back, then moved off on his own, as was customary, it seemed. Elrasur, curiousity piqued, caught up to Thalien. "I do not mean to pry, but I could not help but overhear. Do you think these 'forsworn' will pose a threat to us?" The question was innocent enough. He had not survived as long as he had by going into confrontations under prepared, and he was not about to start now that he was part of a group. "Should we perhaps take an alternate route to our destination?"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rafen

Rafen Well-Known Member

Caleb breathed in the cool, damp morning air, even as they walked along the old road, crossing paths with a caravan that had been scared off by marauding forsworn in the reach. The healer paid little attention to the conversation that occurred between Thalien and the head merchant. Instead he fell back to the redguard and the imperial girl.

To Lilliana, he said "we are entering the dangerous wilderness of what remains of Skyrim." His eyes drifted towards the caravaneers and an idea came to him. "If you think this is too much, that you would rather make your way back to the empire, you could join the caravans. It would be safer than coming with us, to be sure."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Screeching Spasmodically

Screeching Spasmodically Spasmodic Screecher

Lilliana frowned at Caleb "what are you saying? That you don't think I can keep up with you? Or that I'd just be a hindrance?" Adalia laid a hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort the girl. She frowned fiercely at Caleb, wondering what he was playing at. The girl was obviously troubled from her conversation with the masked human, "he's not saying that, dear. Are you, Caleb?" She looked back at Caleb with unmistakable challenge in her eyes. If he thought she was just going to abandon Lilliana, he was going to have a surprise. "Caleb, I'm not leaving. I know I can't fight or survive outside, but I'm not going to just abandon you." She fixed him with her most stubborn glare.