͏p͏e͏n͏t͏a͏g͏r͏a͏m: ͏a ͏c͏o͏g͏n͏i͏t͏i͏o͏n

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Balomew

gEnlQAN.png

The pentagram is a commonly misinterpreted pagan symbol. In wicca, it resembles the five elements, one at each point, with the center resembling the combination of the elements - us.

This is my personal interpretation of the five worldly elements.
Air:
g3VZKht.png

It exists everywhere, much like the universal, shared soul. It is the rush that carries and the still that stales. It carries the oxygen we breathe, accepts the carbon that we excrete, and adapts to assaults with grace and temperance. It is because of its passive demeanor that the environment is as it is. From air, we learn to avoid trouble without resorting to violence. Air cannot be harmed and cannot harm without the presence of other elements.

Earth:
DHmNLB1.png

Considered the bones of the world, the earth is as bound to this world as we and the other elements are. Earth forms a barrier between life and death; between the elements and the heart of the world; and between our bodies and our souls. It builds upon this role, rising above the other elements as lord and challenging the other elements. Yet it is at the mercy of the other elements: air winds, water weakens, fire burns.

Fire:
p2snlsp.png

After a dozen years of examination, fire retains an an atmosphere of wonder. With fuel, it can build an empire that destroys the weak and then ceases to be. It is the herald of apocalypses but is not evil in intent or make. It was made with the objective of eliminating the weak and fortifying the strong. Like the other elements, fire is an essential component in nature. It is as it is, and faces its duty without sentiment.

Spirit:
nKvumf9.png

This abstract element resides in the center of all things: that is, the world and all living beings. Air, earth, fire and water seal and neutralize it, though why this is remains a mystery. Every living being has a spirit that resonates to and with others, sometimes directly with a particular element. It generates an identifiable aura. Life may be what the spirit stands for, protects, or is protected by. Alone, it has no physical, tangible, or visible form.

Water:
aS7m6NS.png

Water wears at the touch, smoothing jagged edges and disintegrating organic components. It is through time and patience that it heals or destroys. It adapts to changes made by other elements: from mountains, rivers and lakes are formed that living beings take advantage of; when the air grows brisk, it rises and returns to the ground in showers. Water has power over the whole world, and yet it is the most humble of the elements, adjusting to change whilst slowly making alterations.

xU5LET9.png

I would appreciate it if you would keep your personal interpretations to yourself, no offense intended. Thank you.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I find this interesting! Especially how it all effects eachother!

Have to add this: I find it a bit weird you share your personal view, but others have to keep theirs to themselves. This is a forum, with people with different views, you always find a discussion especially when it comes to believes and such. And that's a good thing. We need to keep talking about basically everything.

They do however need to respect your views and not call you names or anything for it.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Why hello!

I must say I really like your interpretations of how these elements apply to the universe, the world, and the people in general. I find it interesting the idea that fire is to destroy the weak. As where I live forest fires kill the large and strongest trees more often than not, so that the newer saplings and arguably weaker plants may start their cycle.

Either way, thanks for sharing. Always good to see other people not only thinking but willing to share their thoughts.

Balomew

Nyoxios: I asked people to keep their personal interpretations to themselves because religion can be a very touchy subject for some. I've heard a lot of repeated definitions (air is chill, earth is solid, fire is temperamental, and water goes with the flow), so I'm trying to avoid that if possible. That's not to say that I don't want to discuss this topic at all, however. Paganism and the five elements in general can make for some good, deep conversation, even between strangers on the internet. I'm not worried about being called names (there's a lot of wonderful people on the forums). I just want to avoid the cliche interpretations, as I've just come out with this unique one. Perhaps I should be more open about the subject. It's like a fear of Mary Sues, not of actual members having opinions. Opinions are fantastic and I love discussion.

Skies: Hi there! That's interesting. I was seeing fire as an end of the old and invitation to new life. I'm wondering if the larger and stronger trees are older and might have less moisture in them. I also wonder if the newer saplings and weaker plants might adapt to the fire hazard, effectively making them more resistant. As cool as it is to consider the more spiritual meanings of the elements, it's not out of the question to turn towards science for explanation or more fuel for discussion.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Nyoxios: I asked people to keep their personal interpretations to themselves because religion can be a very touchy subject for some. I've heard a lot of repeated definitions (air is chill, earth is solid, fire is temperamental, and water goes with the flow), so I'm trying to avoid that if possible. That's not to say that I don't want to discuss this topic at all, however. Paganism and the five elements in general can make for some good, deep conversation, even between strangers on the internet. I'm not worried about being called names (there's a lot of wonderful people on the forums). I just want to avoid the cliche interpretations, as I've just come out with this unique one. Perhaps I should be more open about the subject. It's like a fear of Mary Sues, not of actual members having opinions. Opinions are fantastic and I love discussion.

Ah, that makes more sense. Who knows, maybe someone else has another unique insight on the matter.

I for one am watching this :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts