The Study of Magickal Ethics

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Star Gazer

Table of Contents:

Author's Note

Introductions and First Thoughts

Magic in Skyrim

Why Consider Morality?

The ‘Lesser’ and ‘Greater’ Ethics

The Ethics of Alteration

The Ethics of Conjuration

The Ethics of Destruction

The Ethics of Illusion

The Ethics of Restoration

The Ethics of Enchanting

Considerations and Conclusions

Star Gazer

Author’s Note

To whoever may be reading this; salutations. It is my goal with this scholarly work to inspire you to ask questions. Such a practice of questioning is profitable for the student of any field or mystical school, however perhaps you may be like I once was, a man or mer with no magickal aptitude, being simply a student of life- this book is for you as well.

As you read, I would ask you to consider two things. The first being the position of man and mer among the Hierarchy of Being; would you agree that he is of greater spiritual magnitude than the beasts? How about the Et’Ada? Such considerations will help to inform, firstly, your reading of such a text as this and, secondly, your treatment of such a being as your fellow man. The second thing I would ask you to consider comes in the form of a question, which might sound like “what is magic,” “what is its purpose,” or “what is the chief end of knowledge,” or even ultimately, “what is man’s chief end?”

With these things in mind, I would like to invite you to accompany me as we ponder some things great and many things small. The herpetologist climbs the grand mountain and appreciates its beauty, but her true love is for the small snake which hides amidst its rocks. So shall this study be.

Star Gazer

Introductions and First Thoughts

I, Tsoren of Valenwood, Counselor and Professor of Magickal Ethics of the College of Winterhold, have undertaken the writing of this text for the edification of the aspiring mage through the legitimization and consideration of the role of the Conscience and its use in the peaceful study of the arcane art.

In Skyrim, the study and use of magicka is often viewed by mages as an objective pursuit, a path which many traverse to the exclusion of morality or the consideration of their fellow man or mer. Many practitioners of the mystical art have taken to seclusion in attempts to avoid Nordic criticism. Indeed, many of the native peoples of Skyrim are not charitable in their judgments towards the students of such a field, and very often assume the worst in a man if he is discovered to have any magickal capabilities in any school.

Unfortunately, it is equally common for the aspirant of such magicks, in their strife and rejection, to turn their gazes to more dastardly and immoral practices- indeed, speak to any traveler in your local inn, they are sure to regale you of many tales regarding their encounters with rogue necromancers and conjurers, those who turn their understandings into weapons against the common man, or indeed even beset pilgrims on the road, kidnapping them for their nefarious experiments and rituals.

I must here disclose my position on the magickal schools. For those unfamiliar with the terminology, we at the college observe a Galeric position of magicka. That is; the tradition which states that every spell and use of the magicks can be categorized into the five schools of alteration, conjuration, destruction, illusion, and restoration. Further, more ritualized practices that do not invoke magicka might be found under the practice of enchanting. While there are numerous approaches to the categorization and understanding of the mystical schools, (namely the Shalidorian and Mystical schools, which I will not discuss at length here) I will restrict myself to the Galerian approach in an attempt at consistency and clarity.

I also find it needful to make a comment on the Divines and Daedra; I understand that many students have found it profitable to submit oneself to the worship of a particular deity, whether Julianos, Stendarr, Herma-Mora, or otherwise. While you may find some profit in your service to these beings, I would recommend that you hold your beliefs with a loose hand while reading this work, and not to consider such ‘gods’ in your study of Ethics. While this is not a religious text, (neither should it be considered theological) I am here forced to make the observation, with the consideration of many close friends of mine who do indeed hold the Aedra with great reverence, that the Spirits are prone to fits of passion; love and hate, ecstasy and rage- they are known to, at times, lash out against humanity and commit horrible atrocities. For reference on this statement, I would recommend such works as Sithis, Falsehoods and Fallacies of the Eight, and Where Were You When the Dragon Broke? There is endless discussion on such topics, and I will not bore you with this subject any longer. I will end the discussion of gods and reverence with this- whatever you adhere to, the worship of Aedra, Daedra, or sundry other Being in Aurbis, the question you must ask yourself is; how should I conduct myself in this world, and what is the ethical standard of magickal utilization?

This work strives to propose an answer to such a question, and I hope that eager readers will find time in their busy schedules to explore such a topic with me.

Last edited:

Star Gazer

Magic in Skyrim

As previously mentioned, the use of magicka is not widely accepted in Skyrim, and is often the cause for suspicion and conspiracy towards an unaffiliated mage. This is not, however, meant to imply that every Hold views magic in a negative light; there are Holds in which mystical study is seen even as a noble pursuit. While I would stray from public magickal duels and invocations in the public squares of Morthal or Winterhold, you may find that the holds of Riften and Whiterun would view such practices more favorably, having kept filled the office of Court Wizard for multiple generations.

Historically speaking, the hesitation towards magic among the Nords has been constructed by a number of factors and tragedies over a course of centuries; the Great Collapse of Winterhold being the most apparent. The disappearance of the City’s majority has resulted in much suspicion of the College, and more broadly, all mages. Another such incident was the Oblivion Crisis, afterwards it was commonplace to associate the use of magicka to the invocation of devilish forces in the mind of the commoner, thereby demonizing mages within the modern nordic zeitgeist.

(I will admit that there is cause to consider the ethicality and practicality of summoning beings from distant realms, and I would urge the aspiring conjuror to relegate his studies to privacy or among peers.)

As you may see from these examples, insightful reader, the shunning of magic by the native peoples of Skyrim is relatively modern, which compels me to refer to such disdain towards the mystical practice as ‘Neonordic Sentiment.’

A further and more personal reason for this sentiment is the association of the usage of magic with ‘elven trickery,’ a phrase which has been used of late as a linguistic catch-all among warrior clans and more traditional types, barring any consideration of the Aetherial craft, many times to their demise. Take for example that conglomerate of bandit clans which refer to themselves “The Whites,” striking out from caves in the Whiterun Hold, who have embraced such a Neonordic sentiment as to relinquish any interest in magickal prowess. In an attempt to separate themselves from the association of elves by shunning the use of magic, they, in the past few months, have come into much conflict, much to their loss, with the necromancer covens which are also common to that region. Not having any foundational magickal understanding, the Whites lost much territory along the river, and the bodies of their dead now serve as the undead minions of the practitioners of such grave practices as necromancy, otherwise known as the ‘Black Arts,’ which will be discussed in later chapters.

While such groups of Nords as the nomadic bandit clans or even the Companions in Whiterun reject the use of magics amongst their ranks and regard such practitioners as weak, Nordic warriors of antiquity once held magi with high regard. Nordic historians will tell you plainly that the Atmoran conquerors, yes those original 500 Companions which the Nords hold now with great regard, included among their ranks great wizards which they called “Clever-Men.” The “Clever Art,” was very popular until the end of the First Era, and held great religious significance among that people, and was used to great effect even against the Snow-Elves which they now claim were the originators of such trickery. I do not write these things to discriminate or speak condescendingly towards the culture of the country from which I now live and love, but I do so to give a proper and holistic understanding of their values.

As aforementioned, the legality of magickal study differs depending on the Hold you call home, and while I am an avid practitioner and student of the craft, I must encourage you to follow the local laws and customs of your residence. We will discuss the interplay of morality and legality in the chapter titled “The ‘Lesser’ and ‘Greater’ Ethics,” however at present, I find it prudent to encourage both apprentice and master alike to find in oneself humility and meekness. Such virtues are rare among our ranks, yet the observance of such concepts would do much good for anyone in Skyrim who holds magickal interest, as we will see in our next chapter as we ask “Why consider morality?”

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts