What in Skyrim makes you feel Guilty?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
What in Skyrim makes you feel guilty?

Preview

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
I also feel guilty if I don’t respond to the people you meet on the road when they say something like “I’m off to join the Stormcloaks” or the merchants and innkeepers when they give you one of their “Come back soon” or “Remember the Winking Skeever” comments.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Eldergleam. I always feel bad getting the sap from the Eldergleam.

First of all, the Eldergleam is blessed by Kyne. So there's a whole bunch of ramifications for my characters who are Nords and worship Kyne. But regardless of that, all those Spriggans are protecting the tree and you have to kill them. I always do my best to avoid fighting a Spriggan if I can. I mean, I'm the invader and they're just trying to fend me off from hurting this ancient tree. I'm doing it for a noble cause, but I still feel bad.

In fact, come to think of it, any time I have to fight a Spriggan. They're protecting nature and I respect that. That one Spriggan in the cave on the way to Ivarstead, the one captured by the Hagraven. I always release it on my way. Just wish she'd tell her friends so they wouldn't go berserk on me every time I walk near.
I agree about the eldergleam glade. Usually I just take that weirdo with me and get the sappling. I just feel bad about hurting the tree (which is obviously sentient given that it reacts to that stupid knife and calls spriggans if you hurt it). Danica doesn't like it, but it makes sense to me. I still think they should pave the place and put up condos though. It's a little to hippy/dippy for my taste. Still, you gotta admit, it is peaceful and when I've run through as a good guy it's a good place to just hang and read those 1/2 a dozen books I'm always carrying around.

Daelon DuLac

Joining the vampires in Dawnguard. I mean it sounds awesome and it is pretty spiffy but the brutality and mercilessness of this clan is upsetting to me. Also joining the Stormcloaks. I know there's all sorts of stuff on here about that but doing quests for these guys felt like I weakened Skyrim as a whole and only accomplished it's destruction.
Okay. That conviinces me that my Ingin Thorne Nord Necromancer/Storm Mage is joining the vamps. I need a little bit of brutality and mercilessness in my game. Bandits you can only go so far with in the mercilessness and the DB always does it from the shadows. Other than werewolfing about, I've never actually done the evil killer thing.

Docta Corvina

What comes to mind most immediately for me are: 1) many of the DB missions, especially the final one of the primary questline 2) some of the Daedric quests (especially the one for Molag Bal), and 3) succumbing to my need for broadening of my in-game horizons and finally playing the Stormcloak side. That was probably the worst of all, honestly. Offended all of my sensibilities. :p

Daelon DuLac

What comes to mind most immediately for me are: 1) many of the DB missions, especially the final one of the primary questline 2) some of the Daedric quests (especially the one for Molag Bal), and 3) succumbing to my need for broadening of my in-game horizons and finally playing the Stormcloak side. That was probably the worst of all, honestly. Offended all of my sensibilities. :p
I can usually justify the DB questline since, I obviously sought them out to join and wouldn't have if I didn't know I was going in to contract killing. Otherwise I simply would have killed the chick when she kidnapped me. With Molag, if my character has to kill the original Vigilan (he does attack me after all) I can deal with that, but I don't really have to follow up with Molag after that. I always hate doing the Stormcloak side. Not because I necessarily disagree with their point of view, but it just seems unneccesarily vindictive and murderous. Besides, you end up destroying 2 of my favorite cities (Whiterun & Solitude) and they look awful for the rest of the game. Besides, Ulfich is a tool.

Daelon DuLac

Killing a hell of a lot people,and liking it.
Me too. My other 1/2 says that's all I do in the game - go around killing people (innocents he says - like Thalmor and Vigilan of Stendarr's). He just doesn't understand.

Docta Corvina

I can usually justify the DB questline since, I obviously sought them out to join and wouldn't have if I didn't know I was going in to contract killing. Otherwise I simply would have killed the chick when she kidnapped me. With Molag, if my character has to kill the original Vigilan (he does attack me after all) I can deal with that, but I don't really have to follow up with Molag after that. I always hate doing the Stormcloak side. Not because I necessarily disagree with their point of view, but it just seems unneccesarily vindictive and murderous. Besides, you end up destroying 2 of my favorite cities (Whiterun & Solitude) and they look awful for the rest of the game. Besides, Ulfich is a tool.

Well, yeah, my characters can easily justify their involvement in the DB/any other faction, depending on the character. I have one reserved for being an overall asshole to everyone and everything - he's my DB child. But I myself feel bad about some of the quests. I've only done the DB with the one character because I didn't really enjoy it all that much, honestly. I muchly prefer it in Oblivion.

Molag Bal caught me off guard the first time. I was new to ES when I first played Skyrim, so I had no real idea of what I was in for with him. I felt bad about what I had to do in his mission, and ones for other Daedra.

The Stormcloak questline, even politics aside, is just ridiculous in pretty much all possible ways. I feel like I'm aiding a cartoon villain and his cackling henchman. Dude just needs a moustache to twirl. Not inviting another civil war debate here, either. Just sayin'. :cool:

I feel guilty when humble stall owners give me the keys to their strong boxes to take what I like as payment for helping them. I never take anything because what they have is 1. Worthless to me and 2. I feel bad taking their valuable items when I've got 50,000+ gold sitting in my pocket.

Wicka waaah!!

Lord of Blood

High King Ulfric
Killing Paarthunax which I only did once and will never do again. Killing Nilsine cause why the hell Muiri want revenge on an already grieving family? Alain Dufont deserves it but the Shatter Shield family the real victims. She being selfish. So the times I do kill Nilsine for the bonus I kill Muiri to after turning the quest in lol.

Also framing Brand-Shei in Riften and telling Sibbi where Lynley is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
The only two deaths I felt guilty about were killing that guy in Cidna Mine...I found out later I could have killed Madanach right away while sparing the poor sap, but it was too late by that time. The other one was the optional quest to kill Nilsene Shatter-Shield. I didn't feel bad about killing her initially, but upon going into their house later to retrieve a key, and finding the corpse of the mother and her suicide note, I actually felt terrible. As the killings continued though I slowly lost my sensitivity and now my character is pretty much a cold blooded killer.

Sparky04

I robbed that nice blacksmith who helps you out in Riverwood, then felt bad about it. I shot a fox thinking it was a wolf and then felt bad. I don't kill any neutral animals, that included bunnies and deer. Though I have a bunny at home, so I couldn't kill the bunnies anyway. I shot Heimskr but then reloaded because I felt bad. Oh also framing Brand-Shei. I snuck into the jail and opened his cell door but he just stood there.

Daelon DuLac

I robbed that nice blacksmith who helps you out in Riverwood, then felt bad about it. I shot a fox thinking it was a wolf and then felt bad. I don't kill any neutral animals, that included bunnies and deer. Though I have a bunny at home, so I couldn't kill the bunnies anyway. I shot Heimskr but then reloaded because I felt bad. Oh also framing Brand-Shei. I snuck into the jail and opened his cell door but he just stood there.
You mean your foxes, elk, bunnies, chickens and children aren't marked as hostile at all times by your game? Mine are. You get used to it. Just gotta be careful what I hit! Funny but my vampires and bandits aren't though. Hmm...

I sometimes feel guilty when a spry young High Elf farmer walks up to me and boldly says he's off to join the Legion, and I play soccer with his head for 20 minutes.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
Accidentally killing non-aggressive animals. Doesn't happen often but it tears me up and I reload if I can. Especially foxes. Even when I find one already dead it saddens me.

Telling Narfi that his sister is dead. At first it seemed best to tell him the truth, but....never again :sadface:

Also, when NPCs die in a dragon attack. On one hand it was foolish of them to fend off an angry dragon with nothing but an iron dagger and a tunic, but I do feel like a bit of a failure as a Dragonborn. Especially if it's someone nice. Makes Khajiit want to shout, "This one is the worst Dovahkiin ever!" and slink off somewhere for a generous helping of mead :rolleyes:

Daelon DuLac

Accidentally killing non-aggressive animals. Doesn't happen often but it tears me up and I reload if I can. Especially foxes. Even when I find one already dead it saddens me.

Telling Narfi that his sister is dead. At first it seemed best to tell him the truth, but....never again :sadface:

Also, when NPCs die in a dragon attack. On one hand it was foolish of them to fend off an angry dragon with nothing but an iron dagger and a tunic, but I do feel like a bit of a failure as a Dragonborn. Especially if it's someone nice. Makes Khajiit want to shout, "This one is the worst Dovahkiin ever!" and slink off somewhere for a generous helping of mead :rolleyes:

I use foxes and bunnies for target practice with my lighting.

I agree, that it's tough to tell Narfi, but I feel like it is important to do so, if for no other reason then to settle something in his mind. What I hate is having to kill him. It's so pointless.

Well of course you're the worst Dovahkin ever! You're a Khajit. Khajit's can't be dragonborn, they'd set their whiskers on fire with flame breath and you know they hate the cold so the ice form and frost breath are out. :)

JClarke1953

Boethiah is one I didn't want to do, so to get it done I took the loud drunk from Markarth to her. Still...didn't much like that. A means to an end I guess.

Grave robbing or looting those I kill is okay to me. The dead have no need for coin or gear.

I'm on the verge of considering going into the Thieves Guild, yet the "friendship" the Dragonborn has with the residents more or less holds me from doing so. Same with the DB, having to kill just to prove something. Plus the DB used to work by "5 Tenet's", and more or less "left them".

Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.

And what would be the Wrath of Sithis anyhow?

I do feel guilty about getting Lydia killed though. Yet I don't miss "I'm sworn to carry your burden's"..

Daelon DuLac

Boethiah is one I didn't want to do, so to get it done I took the loud drunk from Markarth to her. Still...didn't much like that. A means to an end I guess.

Grave robbing or looting those I kill is okay to me. The dead have no need for coin or gear.

I'm on the verge of considering going into the Thieves Guild, yet the "friendship" the Dragonborn has with the residents more or less holds me from doing so. Same with the DB, having to kill just to prove something.

I do feel guilty about getting Lydia killed though. Yet I don't miss "I'm sworn to carry your burden's"..
I agree that the TG & friendship thing seems to be in conflict, but, the way I look at it is that, if I become the leader, I can protect my city. As leader, I can run interference and keep Maven pushed more towards the background. I am dragonborn after all. Maven gives me problems, I'll Fus Do Rah her in to the lake and then laugh at her when she crawls out soaking wet. Of course, currently, Fenris is such a good-two-shoes that he actually ignores Brynholf and Ingin is such a b**** that I'm surprised she hasn't been sanctioned for killing all her marks yet. :)