Is this a good comp for Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi guys my old desktop just died. R.i.p. 2005-2012 multiple upgrades but it's fried now,

So i'm looking at this new desktop on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-SX237...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330814788&sr=1-14

It's got an intergraded video card with 1.8gb according to one of the reveiws. I know integraded is a big no-no for skyrim, but it looks like a solid buy. My laptop i'm typing on currently has a 512mb video card in it and 4gb of ram. It can play skyrim on LOOOWWW. This thing supposably has 1.8gb and up to 16gb or ram with upgrades.

It's not a bad price. Should i buy it? I need your infinite wisdom internets, help a fellow skyrim player get back into it!

Kuurus

The video card in that is not much for gaming. It will work on low settings, but not much more than that. The GPU clock is only about 450 MHz. Take a look at this:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon HD 6530D

It ranks 248th on that list with a benchmark score of 545. By comparison, I run the game on a card that is a year and a half old, yet it still ranks 190 spots higher (58th) on that list with a score of 1,689 (HD 5770). The GPU clock is 850 MHz (I overclock it to 950) and I can run the game on ultra settings without the slightest hitch. The card is fairly cheap as well, retailing for slightly over $100 right now. Of course the time will come probably within a year where my card won't run a game I want to play as well as I want it to, and it will be time to replace it.

My bottom line advice is don't buy a system with integrated graphics. The technology advances too fast and most video cards are only good for 2 years max before you need to replace them if you want to play the latest games. You don't have to go out and spend a ton of money, but at least buy something with a graphics card you can replace and upgrade when the time comes rather than having to buy a whole new machine again.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I second Kuurus's advice. Getting an integrated graphics card combo is not worth saving a hundred dollars or so, and Gateway is not really a brand that caters to PC gaming needs. Regarding the system memory, unless you run multiple applications like Maya, 3ds Max, Mudbox and Softimage at the same time you're never going to benefit from the 16GB of RAM. You're probably not even going to need 8GB of RAM for the foreseeable future. Manufacturer's like Gateway toss on extra system memory because RAM is so cheap and they're hoping it will make the mediocre configuration look better to the uninformed consumer, but to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Try and stretch your budget and get something with that can be fully upgraded like this AMD Quad Core Configurator from CyberPower PC. It's $105 more but if you tweak it with overclocking you can get exceptional performance from games like Skyrim and, even if you don't know how to overclock hardware, it will run it better than that Gateway, and can be fully upgraded over time as your budget allows.

I second Kuurus's advice. Getting an integrated graphics card combo is not worth saving a hundred dollars or so, and Gateway is not really a brand that caters to PC gaming needs. Regarding the system memory, unless you run multiple applications like Maya, 3ds Max, Mudbox and Softimage at the same time you're never going to benefit from the 16GB of RAM. You're probably not even going to need 8GB of RAM for the foreseeable future. Manufacturer's like Gateway toss on extra system memory because RAM is so cheap and they're hoping it will make the mediocre configuration look better to the uninformed consumer, but to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Try and stretch your budget and get something with that can be fully upgraded like this AMD Quad Core Configurator from CyberPower PC. It's $105 more but if you tweak it with overclocking you can get exceptional performance from games like Skyrim and, even if you don't know how to overclock hardware, it will run it better than that Gateway, and can be fully upgraded over time as your budget allows.

True but it starts with 4gb ram. So after reading your advice i could just not upgrade it and be fine? Also, i thought that you could put a video card in and the integrated video card would compliment the seperate video card. Is this not true?

Edit: Damn, i didn't read all of your post. Sorry >.> - The comp you recommended is definitely a stretch, i'm not sure if i can do $100 more. Maybe i can have a garage sale or something... I'll have to look into this more.

@ Kuurus
I read your post and understand what you are saying. However, i still have a few questions if you don't mind :).

It starts with 4gb of ram. I forgot to mention that, sorry. So i'm assuming i could just NOT upgrade the ram and be fine? Also, my old computer ran Skyrim on the absolute lowest settings. The old computer had a 512 ASUS 3450 series video card in it (terrible i know). Could i put that card into the new computer to boost preformance?

I'm not in a position to pay a lot for a new computer. This seems like a reasonable upgrade from where i was without breaking the bank.

Or maybe im way off lol. Hope to hear responces from you guys! :)

Could someone explain to me what the deal is with integrated graphics? Why is it so bad? Is it like a laptop, where it borrows from system memory and lags?

Dagmar

Could someone explain to me what the deal is with integrated graphics? Why is it so bad? Is it like a laptop, where it borrows from system memory and lags?
Graphics processing units are the same in how they operate regardless of whether it's a desktop GPU or a laptop GPU. If they are using an integrated graphics chip set they will not only borrow from system memory, they will also have much narrower bandwidth making them much weaker than contemporary graphics cards. Because they are integrated, they also cannot be upgraded.
...i'm assuming i could just NOT upgrade the ram and be fine...
Nope.
The old computer had a 512 ASUS 3450 series video card in it (terrible i know). Could i put that card into the new computer to boost preformance?
Assuming the motherboard for that Gateway allows you to disable the integrated graphics chip in BIOS (you can't crossfire a 3000 series with a 6000 series), and has a compatible slot for a video card, an HD 3450 is not going to be any better.
Also, i thought that you could put a video card in and the integrated video card would compliment the seperate video card. Is this not true?
It depends on the integrated chip set. In theory the Radeon HD 6530D can crossfire with Radeon HD 6000 series video cards but you'd need to check whether the power supply could handle a video card that would actually boost performance.

Halkin

pzzzztt
in all honesty get a desktop for gaming, and if you want to be about the house get a tablet of some sort. get a decent chair and leave the tv to the bf/gf/dog.

even inexpensive desktop pc's will run skyrim quite well, cheap laptops wont.

edit: i cant read it seems

Dagmar

Can you elaborate about the Ram? Your right though i think i'll be getting something i can upgrade instead.
Think of RAM as the intermediary between the data source for an application (e.g. your hard drive) and your CPU. If your CPU can process more data from an application than your RAM can store and relay to it at any given moment because of the amount of RAM you have, then your RAM will not be able to process that data to the CPU fast enough to maximize the CPU's efficiency.

By increasing RAM you can allow the CPU to reach its maximum potential in running an application but the amount of RAM you need to do that is fairly low for most applications, and even for high end applications like graphics intensive PC games or digital image, animation and 3D modelling applications the amount needed peaks out somewhere between 2 and 4GB.

The only benefit from having more than 4GB of RAM is if you multitask on your PC while running a high end application, and the only benefit from having more than 8GB of RAM is if you multitask on your PC with several high end applications running at the same time.

Think of RAM as the intermediary between the data source for an application (e.g. your hard drive) and your CPU. If your CPU can process more data from an application than your RAM can store and relay to it at any given moment because of the amount of RAM you have, then your RAM will not be able to process that data to the CPU fast enough to maximize the CPU's efficiency.

By increasing RAM you can allow the CPU to reach its maximum potential in running an application but the amount of RAM you need to do that is fairly low for most applications, and even for high end applications like graphics intensive PC games or digital image, animation and 3D modelling applications the amount needed peaks out somewhere between 2 and 4GB.

The only benefit from having more than 4GB of RAM is if you multitask on your PC while running a high end application, and the only benefit from having more than 8GB of RAM is if you multitask on your PC with several high end applications running at the same time.

O.K. I get that, but you implied that there would still be wasted ram if i didn't upgrade past 4gb. ?

Dagmar

O.K. I get that, but you implied that there would still be wasted ram if i didn't upgrade past 4gb. ?
I said that you may not even need 8GB of RAM. Right now I am running Skyrim in windowed mode at ultra settings, the Second Life viewer at ultra settings (dynamic shadows disabled), two web browsers with multiple tabs and an HD video running on one of them, a mod manager application, a system performance application and whatever else runs on default in the background on my computer, and I'm using less than 4GB of RAM. This will fluctuate higher when I actually play in Skyrim, but it's never going to even come close to 8GB of RAM usage.

I said that you may not even need 8GB of RAM. Right now I am running Skyrim in windowed mode at ultra settings, the Second Life viewer at ultra settings (dynamic shadows disabled), two web browsers with multiple tabs and an HD video running on one of them, a mod manager application, a system performance application and whatever else runs on default in the background on my computer, and I'm using less than 4GB of RAM. This will fluctuate higher when I actually play in Skyrim, but it's never going to even come close to 8GB of RAM usage.

I looked at your computer recommendation but couldn't make heads or tails of it. By the way, do you know a good video card?

Hi Dagmar if your still around,

I sucked it up and painstakingly read through your recommended PC. I'm still a bit confused but... it looks like it comes with a video card? If it does, i think that would be the perfect PC for me. I will indeed be able to stretch my budget for that if it comes with a video card, but i'm not sure if what im reading is right... I'll recommend you to people if you can answer this last question:)

MrSparkle

Hi Dagmar if your still around,

I sucked it up and painstakingly read through your recommended PC. I'm still a bit confused but... it looks like it comes with a video card? If it does, i think that would be the perfect PC for me. I will indeed be able to stretch my budget for that if it comes with a video card, but i'm not sure if what im reading is right... I'll recommend you to people if you can answer this last question:)

Yes, you're at the very least going to want a dedicated video card for your system, especially one with a substantial amount of video ram. I'm maxing out my 1.5gb with Bethesda's high resolution texture pack.

Since you're on a budget something like this should be a good option for you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162079
It's an Nvidia GTX550 Ti and should run Skyrim relativly well. Check around, I'm sure you'll find a desktop that will fit around your budget that comes with a video card. Integrated video cards are the devil!

Dagmar

....I'm still a bit confused but... it looks like it comes with a video card?
That configuration comes with an AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card. It's not a great video card, but combined with the CPU and the Kingston 1600MHz RAM you can probably play Skyrim at medium settings with a stable fluid frame rate. For another $26 you could upgrade to an AMD Radeo HD 6570 which would give you a significant performance boost and probably let you play Skyrim at medium to high settings. A better video card is going to impact significantly on the cost of the computer (the one MrSparkle posted, while cheap by my standards, would probably be cost prohibitive for you right now since it's over 3 times the price of an HD 6450 video card).

One good thing about that computer is that the motherboard has 2 video card slots and can utilize the Radeon's crossfire technology. When your budget permits you can purchase a better 6000 series card (like a s 6790 for about $125) and put it in the second slot and use them together to get enhanced performance on your PC games (probably at very high settings for Skyrim).

MrSparkle

Heh, I thought $1xx for a video card was cheap by any standards ;) but a 550Ti will go as low as $120 which is incredibly good for a latest generation chipset.

What would really help is if you gave us your budget.
For example, this setup right here costs $718

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2380P Processor (4x 3.1GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - Single Card )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 600 Watt - Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

Is that 26$ video card on the list on your site? I may be able to bump it up to that. Also, would i be able to put my old 512mb video card in with the new one in this comp? (Forgive me im niave.)

Edit: Thanks for the input Mrsparkle!