what perks to adviod?(useless)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
completely new and im trying not to mess up my first character so what perks to advoid? mainly in the speech, conjuration, destruction, and enchatment? any tips/help would be greatly appricated.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
depends on what do you want to become? nothing is really useless. if you don't use 2H, every perk in that skill is useless.

feliciano182

completely new and im trying not to mess up my first character so what perks to advoid? mainly in the speech, conjuration, destruction, and enchatment? any tips/help would be greatly appricated.

I can't speak for everything you've asked, but I'll say that most people (me included) avoid every perk in speech, they're really useless once you get to the higher levels in the game.

For enchanting, the middle branch is the most important one, depending on how your character is you could PROBABLY use the left branch, I don't put any of those perk points because my character smiths, to quote an example.

FatBurger

There aren't any that are completely worthless, but there are some that are close (Speechcraft), some that contradict (Light vs Heavy Armor), and certainly some that are easier or more difficult to use (Destruction vs Illusion).

Ideally, you want to plan out your character from early on. The reason people say Speech is useless is because towards the end of the game, money is much less of an issue than earlier on. If you put perks into Speech trying to get quick cash, you'll likely end up regretting it later. The non-money based perks for persuasion, intimidation, etc. are rarely used. Keep in mind though, that if you simply want to play a merchant character, feel free to buy every Speech perk - you can still play the game effectively.

Make use of the perk calculator to play with different combinations and see what you like. It's important to know not just what perks are in each tree, but how many perks it will take to get to the one you want, and whether those perks will remain useful. If you really want to make your own Daedric armor, remember that you have to spend a perk on the other heavy armors (Dwarven, Ebony, etc.) and you'll eventually be able to buy Daedric armor occasionally.
http://skyrimcalculator.com/

If you want help for creative character builds, here are some fantastic ones. The Arcane Archer is a great example of a build that uses seemingly unrelated skills together very well:
Legendary Builds - The Skyrim Blog

WVUbeerman

I got ripped off on my Apple
i just got enough perks in speech to get me to be able to invest in businesses to sell more stuff to one merchant, now that I look back, prob should not have done that. I still have 40 perks to go, i tend to save them and then do 5-10 at one time. but im also lazy and usually drunk when i am doing them and then regret them later.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Only go 1/5 on your Sneak and the three "specialty" trees on melee weapons (axe/sword/mace) are useless.

FatBurger

Probably because level 1 is a 20% boost, but only 5% for every level after that. I.e. you have to spend four additional perks to get the same +20% boost as from the first perk.

WVUbeerman

I got ripped off on my Apple
i just got enough perks in speech to get me to be able to invest in businesses to sell more stuff to one merchant, now that I look back, prob should not have done that. I still have 40 perks to go, i tend to save them and then do 5-10 at one time. but im also lazy and usually drunk when i am doing them and then regret them later.
anytime I ask a stupid question, please refer to last line of this quote.

Reactions: Niq

PrisonerLizzie

Personally I've always run the speech tree up to investor so that I can invest in the Riverwood Trader. That brings his gold up to 10000 and makes it much easier to sell high dollar items later in the game. As far as enchanting that is another tree that I personally try to take as high as I can get just for the extra power I can add to my weapons and the protections I can add to my armor. IMO the magic trees have always just been a waste, but then again I don't play mages.

jarif

From my knowledge i guess avoid dual casting apart from illusion and alteration, condition perks, speech on the right route, try not waste perks on 3/3 critical damage perks unless you really want to but it'l save up perks, tbh 1/5 sneak is best because your automatically given 20% sneak right off the bat and you will have to waste 4 perks, 1/5 speech because is really worth it to spend 4 perks? when you can use a enchantment to make everything less expensive

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Probably because level 1 is a 20% boost, but only 5% for every level after that. I.e. you have to spend four additional perks to get the same +20% boost as from the first perk.

This.

Also, you can enchant for it a lot easier.

feliciano182

Personally I've always run the speech tree up to investor so that I can invest in the Riverwood Trader. That brings his gold up to 10000 and makes it much easier to sell high dollar items later in the game. As far as enchanting that is another tree that I personally try to take as high as I can get just for the extra power I can add to my weapons and the protections I can add to my armor. IMO the magic trees have always just been a waste, but then again I don't play mages.

You should play one, you'd realize you're kinda wrong :p

I mean, have you seen how much Master spells cost ? You can't simply enchant every type of spell to make you able to cast anything without any cost.

PrisonerLizzie

You should play one, you'd realize you're kinda wrong :p

I mean, have you seen how much Master spells cost ? You can't simply enchant every type of spell to make you able to cast anything without any cost.
I just don't get satisfaction out of the magic in the game. I'm personally more of a "gut you like a fish and dance in the blood pool" kind of player. The bf tries to "suggest" I use magic more, but again its just not my playstyle like his isn't the heavy armor, running around alone bloodbath that I prefer. To each his own I guess.:Dragonborn:

feliciano182

I just don't get satisfaction out of the magic in the game. I'm personally more of a "gut you like a fish and dance in the blood pool" kind of player. The bf tries to "suggest" I use magic more, but again its just not my playstyle like his isn't the heavy armor, running around alone bloodbath that I prefer. To each his own I guess.:Dragonborn:

I actually am the "fish-gutting" kind, though I mix it with a big of restoration and illusion.

Thing is, I can't exactly allow myself to not put the left branch in illusion because I can't enchant every piece of equipment to reduce my casting cost, and I'm not even a full mage !

I avoid Speech alltogether. All it gets you is more money (I never run out) and better odds on Trust/Intimidate/Bribe rolls. Go ahead, and work it up for better prices, then spend the points on something that does Damage. I know, some people have said there are no "useless" perks, but in Destruction, Runemaster is about as close as you can get. In Conjuration, all Dual Casting gets you is longer duration. All of those spells last long enough for your magicka to recover anyway, so skip it. Enchanting, I use Magical Weapons to train it up with Petty Soul Gems. If you get Soul Squeezer, then you don't get as much Experience that way, and have to make it up cranking out more shoes of Muffle, and hats of Waterbreathing. At the end, when you've got your full set double enchanted, and 100 Enchanting, then you might want to think about Soul Squeezer.

wow thx for the responses guys :) im glad i only spent one point in speech and i definitely will get one point on the steath thing. do you guys think getting the magicka reduction perks are useful? im kinda torn since i hear you can enchat stuff for less magicka costs? Also which tree side should i take for twin shadows for congeration? they both seem really useful. Also do master spells need the dual cast since i think i've read somewhere they need both hands?

feliciano182

wow thx for the responses guys :) im glad i only spent one point in speech and i definitely will get one point on the steath thing. do you guys think getting the magicka reduction perks are useful? im kinda torn since i hear you can enchat stuff for less magicka costs? Also which tree side should i take for twin shadows for congeration? they both seem really useful. Also do master spells need the dual cast since i think i've read somewhere they need both hands?

What type of character are you making ? What magic disciplines would you like to use ?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Echoing what others have said, the entire Speech tree is useless. By level 20, you'll have more money than you know what to do with. By level 40, you'll give up collecting loot to sell because it's too much of a hassle to find a merchant with enough gold to buy it (even if you get the investor perk), and it's not like you need the gold, anyway.

I also find the entire Lockpicking tree to be ridiculous... now. When I first started playing Skyrim, the perks to make each lock level easier to pick were very helpful. Now, after many hundreds of hours of gameplay, I can pick master locks with less than a dozen lockpicks, without any perks or potions or enchantments. You just get used to how the lockpicking mechanism works, after awhile. But since you're just starting out, I'd suggest taking a perk or two in the Lockingpicking tree if you're finding it a difficult task.