Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I wouldn't say she's wealthy, but she certainly does well compared to some of the Nords and all of the Dumner.

There is a few reasons why she can't be compared to the situation the Dumner are in:

1. She is an Altmer

While it is odd that she doesn't receive any discrimination because of this considering the hatred of Thalmor and the like, she isn't a Dark Elf and there is no law saying she HAS to live in the poorest part of town. No one is restricting her chances of opportunity unlike the Dumner.

2. She is part of/has connections to the Thieves Guild

This is probably the biggest reason why she doesn't receive any discrimination but at the same time the Thieves Guild is looked down upon by most of Skyrim. So you are saying that the Dark Elves should abandon their morals if they want to live better and all become criminals? Then that is just another reason why you'd believe segregation is tolerable. As you've said yourself, she received the same treatment until she joined, and people are afraid of criminals.

You can't really compare her situation with the Grey Quarter because it is different no matter how you want to spin it. Dodge these facts, Raijin.

I'm starting to lose my cool..

1 No plops. I thought she was Dunmer with golden skin. Didn't you watch the video? She did receive discrimination when she first arrived in Windhelm.
2. No really?

I did not compare her with the grey quarters situation. I simply used her as an example to show just how naive and proud the Dunmers are, and how they think that the nords should owe them. Didn't you see the screenshot that I posted here or did you avoid seeing it?

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Just because one Dunmer feels that the Nords owe his race something, doesn't mean that all the Dunmer feel that way. From what I have seen, is that the Dunmer just want equal and fair treatment.

It's along the same lines as not every Nord is racist, but some are. It's generalizing.

Raijin

Just because one Dunmer feels that the Nords owe his race something, doesn't mean that all the Dunmer feel that way. From what I have seen, is that the Dunmer just want equal and fair treatment.

It's along the same lines as not every Nord is racist, but some are. It's generalizing.

Belyn Hlaalu (A Dunmer) in Windhelm.

"The best way for us to win the Nords' respect is through hard work." He also comments that the other dark elves in Windhelm complain too much: "Too many dark elves in Windhelm complain about the way we're treated. What good does complaining do?" Lastly, he may say, "I'm proud of my farm. It takes no small effort to grow crops in this part of Skyrim."

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Belyn Hlaalu (A Dunmer) in Windhelm.

"The best way for us to win the Nords' respect is through hard work." He also comments that the other dark elves in Windhelm complain too much: "Too many dark elves in Windhelm complain about the way we're treated. What good does complaining do?" Lastly, he may say, "I'm proud of my farm. It takes no small effort to grow crops in this part of Skyrim."

tumblr_matmyaFfjn1rocvhoo1_500.jpg

Docta Corvina

I asked Scouts-Many-Marshes "Why are all the dock workers Argonian?" and he responded with:
"We work where we can get work. The Nords don't like unloading their ships, so we do it instead. Sometimes cargo goes missing."

Nice try.

Nice try with what precisely? Can we blame them? Surely not, since you seem to fault the Dunmer for not joining the TG to get ahead in the city.

And also, nice in further demonstrating my point about the racial disparities in the city. The Argonians do the "hard work" the Nords don't feel like doing. Hmm...

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I'm starting to lose my cool..

1 No pl***. I thought she was Dunmer with golden skin. Didn't you watch the video? She did receive discrimination when she first arrived in Windhelm.
2. No really?

I did not compare her with the grey quarters situation. I simply used her as an example to show just how naive and proud the Dunmers are, and how they think that the nords should owe them. Didn't you see the screenshot that I posted here or did you avoid seeing it?

lmao, and then once she joined the Theives Guild (A criminal organization) she stopped receiving discrimination. So what, the Dumner are all supposed to join the Thieves Guild so that they can be treated human?

One Dumner doesn't describe them all, most of them are struggling to make a living with the rules set in place. Asking to be treated equal or at least to reverse a law that states they should only specifically live in the poorest part of town based on their race is hardly expecting hand-outs from the Nords.

y u so funneh

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I still don't get why people respect Ulfric... The cause is just but that man seems to just ruin any real cause that might exsist... I mean a veteran who can shout kills a young man... who is technically a minor... seems legit...and Galmar even asked why would a elf want to join... really man you have to go and single me out when I want to help you...

Raijin

Nice try with what precisely? Can we blame them? Surely not, since you seem to fault the Dunmer for not joining the TG to get ahead in the city.

And also, nice in further demonstrating my point about the racial disparities in the city. The Argonians do the "hard work" the Nords don't feel like doing. Hmm...

Which post of mine are you referencing with regards of me blaming the Dunmers for not joining the T.G? It was you among others that first brought this up, not me. All I did was shot some pretty important ammo to squirrel for using NPC (A Nord cab driver) to continue telling me that the Dunmers of Windhelm are innocent victims, and all of the sudden the proof that I provided WITH a screenshot doesn't count because shes a High elf, and part of the thieves guild. Are you trying to tell me that everything that she tells me is a lie? That the Dunmers aren't naive and proud like she claim that they are?

lmao, and then once she joined the Theives Guild (A criminal organization) she stopped receiving discrimination. So what, the Dumner are all supposed to join the Thieves Guild so that they can be treated human?

One Dumner doesn't describe them all, most of them are struggling to make a living with the rules set in place. Asking to be treated equal or at least to reverse a law that states they should only specifically live in the poorest part of town based on their race is hardly expecting hand-outs from the Nords.

y u so funneh

Like I asked Docta Corvina Which post of mine are you referencing with regards of me blaming the Dunmers for not joining the T.G.

IMO I think the Dunmers should go watch the classical movie, A Christmas Story, for clues to make nords respect them. They should watch Ralphie finally building up the courage, and beat the oblivion outta his bully in the video clip below.

An addition what you guys fail to realize is that fear produces respect. Why do you think Maven essentially runs Riften? Because shes kind? No. Shes in fact one of my most favorite characters in skyrim. Why do you think people who likes to fight joins the companions? Because their 100% good guys? No. Look at the circle for the prime example. They force people to become a werewolf to be in their sick circle group. It's too bad you couldn't join forces with The Silver Hand, and become a werewolf hunter yourself. At the beginning of the companion quest line Farkas or Vilkas (after you successfully brawl the selective NPC) they come back and tell you "It's nice having to push people around".

Skyrim culture is a lot different than ours. Lets not forget about that shall we? :)

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Don't worry I was trying to troll the less eloquent stormcloaks... Raijin why you go be supra smart? :D bye

but if the Dunmer fought back that would make more problems... after all what works with individuals doesn't work with people :p

Raijin

Don't worry I was trying to troll the less eloquent stormcloaks... Raijin why you go be supra smart? :D bye

but if the Dunmer fought back that would make more problems... after all what works with individuals doesn't work with people :p

Theirs always the option of moving ;) Same with the Argonian's if their not happy with their living conditions :) Perhabs moving to Riften is more suitable for them. I'm sure Maven will offer them a job in her Black-briar Meadery. As for giving jobs to the Argonian they can work for Riften Fishery. As far as their living conditions I'm certain that Haelga can offer them a place to sleep at her Bunkhouse, WITH an addition the male Dunmers and Argonian will receive extra benefits from Haelga if ya know what I mean ;)

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
whenever an option is "Why don't they move away?" it seems that the people are not in a position to do so... unless I am missing something

But I am done every one deserves their opinion... unless they are stupid Thalmor... after all only some are chill...

Docta Corvina

Which post of mine are you referencing with regards of me blaming the Dunmers for not joining the T.G? It was you among others that first brought this up, not me. All I did was shot some pretty important ammo to squirrel for using NPC (A Nord cab driver) to continue telling me that the Dunmers of Windhelm are innocent victims, and all of the sudden the proof that I provided WITH a screenshot doesn't count because shes a High elf, and part of the thieves guild. Are you trying to tell me that everything that she tells me is a lie? That the Dunmers aren't naive and proud like she claim that they are?

I was referencing this one as well as statements in others, in which you seemed to suggest that Niranye's position in Windhelm just is what it is and "so what" that she used shady practices (ie. TG connections) to get there - at least she's not being discriminated against. If that's not what you meant to convey, then perhaps you need to restate your thesis there - because as you pointed out, I was not the only one who read it that way. Additionally, Squirrel Killer's post offered another unbiased point of view about the situation in Windhelm. If you notice, the driver makes no additional commentary on the circumstances, he merely confirms what we already know. When it comes to this detail, you can stick your fingers in your ears if you wish and while it may help you ignore what's right in front of you, for most everyone else it's more than obvious.

Niranye can say what she wants, but that doesn't change the fact that she is in a completely different position from the Dunmer in the city and the link (as you even have agreed) seems to be the Thieves Guild connections she has and has clearly made use of to her own personal benefit. This isn't even speculation, she admits to it herself - as you showed. Hell, some of the more notorious Depression-era criminals were doing comparatively well for themselves while others languished - that doesn't mean their methods were just or to be emulated, or that people suffering should have just sucked it up and turned to such a lifestyle. If anything, the fact that such connections were necessary at all to stop/prevent further threats and associated ill treatment does not speak well of the situation in the city.

The overall point is Niranye, while even casting aside the racial difference, comes attached to a whole different set of implications and circumstances. They are not comparable to the Dunmer. Obviously she's entitled to commentate but her vantage point is hardly on par with the Dark Elves' experience and just because that's the case, it doesn't yield vindication of a racial apartheid policy. Repeatedly trying to force a square peg into a round hole simply isn't getting your argument anywhere.

Like I asked Docta Corvina Which post of mine are you referencing with regards of me blaming the Dunmers for not joining the T.G.

IMO I think the Dunmers should go watch the classical movie, A Christmas Story, for clues to make nords respect them. They should watch Ralphie finally building up the courage, and beat the oblivion outta his bully in the video clip below.

An addition what you guys fail to realize is that fear produces respect. Why do you think Maven essentially runs Riften? Because shes kind? No. Shes in fact one of my most favorite characters in skyrim. Why do you think people who likes to fight joins the companions? Because their 100% good guys? No. Look at the circle for the prime example. They force people to become a werewolf to be in their sick circle group. It's too bad you couldn't join forces with The Silver Hand, and become a werewolf hunter yourself. At the beginning of the companion quest line Farkas or Vilkas (after you successfully brawl the selective NPC) they come back and tell you "It's nice having to push people around".

Skyrim culture is a lot different than ours. Lets not forget about that shall we? :)

So now you're saying that the Dunmer should do their best to intimidate the Nords in Windhelm? Which would no doubt only further inflame the tensions between them all? And perhaps even spark racial violence?

That...seems like a few steps backward, wouldn't you say? o_O

Raijin

I was referencing this one as well as statements in others, in which you seemed to suggest that Niranye's position in Windhelm just is what it is and "so what" that she used shady practices (ie. TG connections) to get there - at least she's not being discriminated against. If that's not what you meant to convey, then perhaps you need to restate your thesis there - because as you pointed out, I was not the only one who read it that way. Additionally, Squirrel Killer's post offered another unbiased point of view about the situation in Windhelm. If you notice, the driver makes no additional commentary on the circumstances, he merely confirms what we already know. When it comes to this detail, you can stick your fingers in your ears if you wish and while it may help you ignore what's right in front of you, for most everyone else it's more than obvious.

How do you know shes not being discriminated against base on her race? She said on the video that living in Windhelm was difficult at first. I too offered an unbiased point of view of what is going on in Windhelm by using Niranye. Just because you happen to not like what she says about the Dark elves doesn't mean that shes wrong. She is in fact right. I provided you with proof just how naive they are, but you still avoid seeing it. Stop being closed minded.

And as far as the Christmas story idea was a pure joke. I was being sarcastic.

Docta Corvina

How do you know shes not being discriminated against base on her race? She said on the video that living in Windhelm was difficult at first. I too offered an unbiased point of view of what is going on in Windhelm by using Niranye. Just because you happen to not like what she says about the Dark elves doesn't mean that shes wrong. She is in fact right. I provided you with proof just how naive they are, but you still avoid seeing it. Stop being closed minded.

And as far as the Christmas story idea was a pure joke. I was being sarcastic.

When did I say she wasn't ever being discriminated against? I restated what she tells us about how she was "at first", but then she made the "right friends", etc. That strongly suggests that the threats and bad treatment stopped or at least significantly trailed off. I have no doubt that she's not looked upon with friendly eyes in the city, but the outright threats to her person and livelihood stopped or greatly lessened upon making the right connections. She herself states this. I have no idea why this is being re-litigated.

What you did was offer commentary on the Dunmer's situation from someone who is not experiencing the same situation as the Dunmer. Because, for one thing, she's got connections to back up her status. The carriage driver states very simply that the Dunmer were mandated to live in the Grey Quarter. This is fact. He doesn't speculate on why this is, he merely says it's a part of life in Windhelm. You personally can argue as vigorously as the day is long whether you think it's right or not, but the carriage driver is a Nord who appears non-invested in the situation and is only stating what we know is the reality in the city. What you are doing with Niranye is attempting to use her as a character witness against the Dark Elves - and by the same token, where do we have proof that the Dunmer brought this upon themselves, that they're not scrimping and eking out an existence the best they can? Even if she's right, that the Dunmer are "proud and naive", that doesn't change the fact that there's a law in place that restricts what they can do to move up the socioeconomic ladder in Windhelm. She can pass judgment all she wants, but it does not speak to the most fundamental reality of the status quo. The fact that she has had to utilize her "friends" to make sure all was safe for her there is a testament to the underlying problems of racial tension in the capital.

It has nothing to do with me being "close minded". The point is that Niranye is not comparable to the Dunmer in the suggested sense that her ability to "rise above" is totally attainable for any run-of-the-mill Dunmer in Windhelm. Why? Because she has got her own set of connections to the Thieves Guild and likely others who have made her stay there vastly more comfortable than that of her Dark Elf neighbors. I don't care what she says about the Dunmer being proud and naive or what have you. What I factor in, alongside NPC testimony, are facts and observable elements. Things that can be qualified and quantified, in game and in lore. And that is in large part what makes Niranye a problematic source on the Dunmers' situation in Windhelm. Much like if Tullius said all Nords were brainless barbarians, I wouldn't take it as gospel - even if a few like Ulfric and Galmar are offensive to my sensibilities on certain levels. Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if she's saying things like that about the Dunmer because she assumes that it makes her appealing to and easier to stomach for the more insular locals. And truly, at the heart of that quote of hers that you value so much, it boils down to, "I know how to play the game -the Dunmer are too proud to play the game." Some might say good on the Dunmer then, for not accepting things "the way they are".

Because, really, I would sincerely like to know what precisely Niranye's diagnosis and prescription call for when it comes to this situation. Something tells me it would involve kissing of ungrateful behinds and possibly shady dealings, to say the least.

Bottom line: the carriage driver is relating what is known to be policy; Niranye is offering personal commentary.

Raijin

Docta Corvina I'm going to end this debate with regards to Niranye because I'm honestly burnt out on the particular subject. We both have our set of opinions, and theirs no way to change each other minds.

As much as I want to feel bad for the way Dunmers are treated in Windhelm. I can't possibly get myself to feel bad for them. I do not see them as victims. They came to Windhelm... Windhelm did not go to them. It's like me (A white male) entering a building where theirs nothing but members of the black panthers about to do their "I hate white people" meeting. Right now the Nords feel insecure... especially in Ulfrics Stormcloak camp. Their freedom to worship their very gods been tarnish by elves. Their being hunted down by the thalmor because of their faith. Man kind are in danger of being enslaved by the elves, or worst being liquidated. They've already got the Empire wrapped around their pointy little ears... what next? Like what Heimskr preach back there in whiterun:

"They can barely tolerate our presence on earth! Today, they take away your faith. But what of tomorrow? What then? Do the elves take your homes? Your businesses? Your children? Your very lives? And what does the Empire do? Nothing! Nay, worse than nothing! The Imperial machine enforces the will of the Thalmor! Against its own people!"

How can man kind depend on their Empire to protect them from elves when the Empire can't protect themselves?

Anyhow I've read a lot of lore regarding to the Dunmer's and to be quite frankly I'm not overly impressed with them. Their not the most pleasant beings.

Lore:Ancestors and the Dunmer - UESPWiki

The Dark Elves would never think of practicing sorcerous necromancy upon any Dark Elf or upon the remains of any Elf. However, Dark Elves consider the human and orcish races to be little more than animals.

The Telvanni are adept masters of necromancy. They do not, however, practice necromancy upon the remains of Dark Elves. Sane Telvanni regard such practices with loathing and righteous anger. They do practice necromancy upon the remains of animals and upon the remains of Humans, Orcs, and Argonians -- who are technically no more than animals in Morrowind.

Then theirs this... Dunmers of Skyrim
Skyrim:Dunmer of Skyrim - UESPWiki

Docta Corvina

Docta Corvina I'm going to end this debate with regards to Niranye because I'm honestly burnt out on the particular subject. We both have our set of opinions, and theirs no way to change each other minds.

I actually was going to call it a day with the Niranye thing as well, because I too was starting to feel the tedium of it all. We may never see eye to eye on any of this overarching debate. But on the other hand, I'm scrappy as hell and will keep coming back to this thread for more. What's awesome is that outside of this thread, we are perfectly civil and friendly. :D

As for not feeling any sympathy for the Dunmer, that's entirely your prerogative. They do not however, as a race, have a monopoly on some less-than-admirable things in their past - we all know this. And so when it's stated or otherwise suggested that the ones in Windhelm brought all of their troubles on themselves and that they should just accept the misery of the situation - when even some Nords realize and admit that it's unfair - that's where I and others have to step in and zero in on the realities of the situation. If you're going to judge the players in this tale via their entire racial group, well, I don't see too much positive coming from that. The world of Elder Scrolls features a very long and at times bloody history of war and calamity. Divisions have often served to weaken, not strengthen. And this underlies one of the chief arguments for the Empire. And it's precisely why the Thalmor operates the way it does.

At the end of the day, it's in everyone's best interests in Windhelm to try to calm and break the tension. The fact that such change is apparently not even on the radar until Brunwulf takes power speaks to one of Ulfric's larger flaws as a character and as a leader.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts