Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
You're a Khajiit.

The Stormcloaks think of you as an animal.
The Empire thinks of you as a Citizen.

You can pick whichever one appeals to you.

Ozan finds your joke amusing yet it lacks a punchline. Khajiit, historically speaking, have not been the most friendly to the greedy Colovian. As Ozan has stated, the Colovian Nord types have done nothing for Khajiit. One's argument is lacking simple observation and is backed by propaganda.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
STRONGHOLD
Synonyms: bastion, castle, citadel, fastness, fortification, fortress, hold, redoubt, fort

Strongholds are not "walled in small villages". They're called strongholds in the game for a reason. You're not going to see any other races residing in a stronghold for an Orc Tribe because it's sole purpose is to provide protection and shelter for the Tribe. That's why they're wary of approaching strangers regardless of whether you can absorb that concept or not. The Nords wouldn't be "taking care" of anything by letting the Dunmer live anywhere they can afford in Windhelm. :rolleyes:

I'm not taking anyone's side in this petty prattling and pontificating of poor knowledge of the entire scenario and what the Stormcloaks actually represent. You have a good basis, and can support most of your assertions

I did notice however, your statement about strongholds. A stronghold means a place fortified for refuge to protect authority. There is no formal classification of it being a walled village, castle or citadel.

The Orcs actually have settlements, rather than a village, because they not established in Skyrim. But it's still classified as a stronghold due to their fortifications.

Unless you referring to what it was intended for in Skyrim? ;)

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Ozan finds your joke amusing yet it lacks a punchline. Khajiit, historically speaking, have not been the most friendly to the greedy Colovian. As Ozan has stated, the Colovian Nord types have done nothing for Khajiit. One's argument is lacking simple observation and is backed by propaganda.

In Cyrodiil proper, Khajiit are allowed in the cities. There's even a city with a Khajiit majority, Leyawiin.
In Skyrim, Khajiit aren't allowed within city walls.

That's all one's argument needs.

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
You're a Khajiit.

The Stormcloaks think of you as an animal.
The Empire thinks of you as a Citizen.

You can pick whichever one appeals to you.

Not all Stormcloaks are racist, Ulfric Stormcloak doesn't show any Racism, he talks alot about Nord Freedom but he doesn't say anything bad about other races, if you went with Ralof in Helgen and your not a Nord he will tell you: "You don't need to be a nord to fight for Skyrim's freedom".

Galmar, Ulfric's right hand guy asks you why a -insert non-nord race here- would fight for Skyrim, and if you tell him i want to fight the Empire he will say there no problem as long as you hate the Empire.

But like many of us know, not all Stormcloaks are not racists and many of this are racist junk, however this Racism could be resolved by a word of Ulfric, but if Ulfric turns to be racist, the only to fix this is by the Dragonborn convincing him. Racism is really the Stormcloak's main negative point....

Junkie

I have sided with the stormcloaks with 5 of my 6 characters. I have a issue with siding with someone who wanted to lop off my head while not even knowing who I am. I have 1 new character, female dark elf, that I may side with the imperials just to see the difference in the story. I'm still going to try & kill the good general who ordered my head though

HanfDJ

Not all Stormcloaks are racist, Ulfric Stormcloak doesn't show any Racism, he talks alot about Nord Freedom but he doesn't say anything bad about other races, if you went with Ralof in Helgen and your not a Nord he will tell you: "You don't need to be a nord to fight for Skyrim's freedom".

If I remember correctly when I walked in Windhelm, I believe it was some mercenary or war hero I can't remember but he says Ulfric is not willing to help other non-Nord races when being attacked by bandits, but when a Nord village or settlement is attacked he is more than willing to help them. So, if you ask me I believe that is racism from Ulfic Stormcloack. I don't intead on being rude or anything I am just pointing out what I remember from playing, but that was one of the main reasons why I chose not to pick Stormcloack :)

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
If I remember correctly when I walked in Windhelm, I believe it was some mercenary or war hero I can't remember but he says Ulfric is not willing to help other non-Nord races when being attacked by bandits, but when a Nord village or settlement is attacked he is more than willing to help them. So, if you ask me I believe that is racism from Ulfic Stormcloack. I don't intead on being rude or anything I am just pointing out what I remember from playing, but that was one of the main reasons why I chose not to pick Stormcloack :)

It's best to get both sides of the story, and besides Brunwulf is nothing more than a hypocrite. He goes around talking trash about how Ulfric is this and that... and what do you know? Hes enjoying a free meal inside the palace of the kings while Ulfric is sitting on his throne. I never once seen him in the Grey quaters inside their tavern. Instead of see him at the "nord" tavern.

If Ulfric is a racist then so is everyone else in Skyrim. Look at the way they treat their cat people guests... like garbage. Their not allowed inside the city.

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer

no one could believe a Merenary, but a War Hero...i will check about that, i remember that there was that guy who becomes Jarl of Windhelm if the Imperials win the war, maybe that's the guy you are talking about, i remember him telling me the Dark Elfs will get a better live in Windhelm, and he also told me that the Argonians are not allowed to the city for their own good, so we can't say the Argonians in Windhelm are victims to Racism.
As for the Khajiit they were not allowed to cities even before the civil war, i have not seen any Khajiit in Solitude or any other Imperial controlled settlement, even after the Imperial win the Khajiit are still not allowed to cities, i think the whole thing is King Torygg's fault, maybe he holds a grudge on them or something. Nobody said that Torygg was not racist.

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
It is as simple as i didn't seen any direct Racism from him other then banishing the Dark Elfs to the grey quarter.

Eidelon

ESCERNIES ESCORAE IDELION ESCAVERMES ESCERIOS
Yes it does. It means you were wrong in assuming they aren't citizens of Windhelm. You also completely ignored the fact that they've been living there for almost 200 years. They're citizens regardless of whether you're incapable of comprehending that fact.
Obviously they arent full citizens if they cant leave the gray district, also there is no solid evidence they are, all I see is a Lady who say "Ulfric should raise their taxes" obviously she doesnt know whetther or not they pay taxes or if they dont (how could she) she just want them to be punished for violating her.
There are plenty of people in both Windhelm and Eastmarch that don't support the Stormcloaks. It's truly laughable that you think this is any kind of basis for the notion that the Dunmer aren't citizens. It's a complete fabrication of your mind that you're now trying to defend with desperate arguments.
its funny because evrything ive said that has been right you jsut ignore and only respond to the stuff you think you can argue about, I respond to your entire post which is why you will see me admit i was wrong on somethings.. the argument has gone nowere, i am not desperate. If you think that they are citizens and they have all the rights of nords in windhelm then ur mistaken. Obviously they dont. Obviously they arent citizens. You cant tell me that if they supported the stormcloaks, ulfric would turn down the extra men. Obviously I didnt mean that the same rules aplied for all races in Eastmarch, your argument is invalid.
STRONGHOLD
Synonyms: bastion, castle, citadel, fastness, fortification, fortress, hold, redoubt, fort

Strongholds are not "walled in small villages". They're called strongholds in the game for a reason. You're not going to see any other races residing in a stronghold for an Orc Tribe because it's sole purpose is to provide protection and shelter for the Tribe. That's why they're wary of approaching strangers regardless of whether you can absorb that concept or not. The Nords wouldn't be "taking care" of anything by letting the Dunmer live anywhere they can afford in Windhelm. :rolleyes:
strong·hold

/ˈstrôNGˌhōld/
Noun
  1. A place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack.
Well windhelm is fortified against attack, Windhelm is therefore a Stronghold. True the sole purpose is to house the tribe, that is exactly what these "racist nords" want too do. They are wary of elves because elves are known to take their fellow talos worshipers. Just like Orcs are wary of travelers for no good reason. So what because the Nords of Windhelm are more tribal we should change their way of life and force them into the standards of the Imperial City? Just let them do there thing, they might not let dark elves into there "tribe" but why is it just to force them too. Argument Invalid

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Obviously they arent full citizens if they cant leave the gray district...
That's the point. They are citizens but they are denied equal rights because of their race. That's racism. Thanks once again for unintentionally conceding the point.
...also there is no solid evidence they are, all I see is a Lady who say "Ulfric should raise their taxes" obviously she doesnt know whetther or not they pay taxes or if they dont (how could she) she just want them to be punished for violating her.
First of all you're the one claiming that they weren't citizens with absolutely nothing to support the claim other than fabrications of your mind. Second, there's this thing called "common sense" which leads normal rational people to assume that when one lives some place for almost 200 years one is probably recognized as a citizen. Third, Viola is assuming he pays taxes because all citizens pay taxes and she knows the resident Dunmer of Windhelm are citizens. She's reflecting common knowledge of all NPCs of Windhelm even if you're too dense to get that.
its funny because evrything ive said that has been right you jsut ignore and only respond to the stuff you think you can argue about, I respond to your entire post which is why you will see me admit i was wrong on somethings.. the argument has gone nowere
I've ignored nothing in your post.
If you think that they are citizens and they have all the rights of nords in windhelm then ur mistaken.
The former is true and the latter is the whole point. Your empty claim that they aren't citizens completely devoid of any lore to support it is merely your wishful thinking. I on the other hand have provided lore that supports the notion that they're citizens.
Obviously they dont. Obviously they arent citizens. You cant tell me that if they supported the stormcloaks, ulfric would turn down the extra men.
Sorry but putting the word "obviously" in front of a false statement doesn't automatically make it true. You need to provide facts to support your claims if you're going to hope to validate your propositions, and you've failed to do this on any meaningful level so far.

With the exception of your character if you choose to join the Stormcloaks and aren't a Nord, the Stormcloaks are racially homogenous, i.e. they're all Nords. This is in spite of the fact that you see plenty of non-Nords on the road who say they are going to Windhelm to join the Stormcloaks. That invalidates your claim that the Stormcloaks would be willing to accept other races in general and Dunmer in particular into their ranks.

In addition if you're trying to imply that the reason that the Dunmer are segregated has anything to do with anything other than their race by claiming it's because they won't actively support the Stormcloaks you're once again wrong as the segregation law was in place prior to the Stormcloak rebellion as has been pointed out ad nauseum in this thread.
Obviously I didnt mean that the same rules aplied for all races in Eastmarch, your argument is invalid.
Gee the same rules aren't applied for all races in Eastmarch. Your imaginary rule is only applied to the Dunmer which makes those that enforce it, i.e. Ulfric, racist. Statements like this only reinforce the notion that you don't have a firm grasp of what racism is.
strong·hold

/ˈstrôNGˌhōld/
Noun
Well windhelm is fortified against attack, Windhelm is therefore a Stronghold.
Windhelm is a capital city. Its fortification doesn't change the fact that as a capital city it's open to others in a way that a tribal stronghold is not which is why your analogy is still completely inaccurate.
True the sole purpose is to house the tribe, that is exactly what these "racist nords" want too do.
No it isn't. Windhelm's sole purpose is not to house the Nords. Like any capital city it doesn't have a sole purpose. Orsimer society is based on a tribal structure which is monoethnic by nature whereas Nord society, like all the societies of the human races of Tamriel, is not. There's nothing analogous between a tribe shunning outsiders and city segregating its residents by race.
They are wary of elves because elves are known to take their fellow talos worshipers.
Only the Thalmor are known to take people suspected of worshiping Talos. In case it's escaped you the Dunmer are not Thalmor. For that matter neither are all Altmer which is why they're not concerned about Niranye or Nurelion and why your statement is simply wrong and does nothing to explain their attitude about the Dunmer. Further, you're attempting to pursue a line of argument that doesn't even refute that Ulfric is racist. It only explains why he is racist.
Just like Orcs are wary of travelers for no good reason.
Wrong again. The Orsimer are wary of visitors to their strongholds because unlike a village or city, it's no more an area open to invitation than a fort or a private home and is why if you breach their privacy they react exactly the same way as an NPC does when you break into their home.
So what because the Nords of Windhelm are more tribal we should change their way of life and force them into the standards of the Imperial City?
As stated before they're not tribal. A tribal society is a pre-state society usually based on kinship (e.g. the Orsimer chieftain is the only one that takes wives and the only one that produces offspring for the tribe). The Nords are no more tribal than the white Americans of the segregated south of the early 20th century were tribal. Further, even though the Orsimer are a tribal society, even they extend Blood-Kin status to outsiders of other races under certain circumstances. The segregation laws of Windhelm have no such analogous provision.

By the way, Ulfric's racism isn't a shared trait to all the Nords in Windhelm so it's completely improper to use the term Nords as a proxy for Ulfric as if he's the representative of the beliefs and values of all the Nords of Windhelm let alone of Skyrim.

You're entire line of argument is invalid because (1) it has no basis in observable game content or lore, (2) it's actually largely contradicted by the same, and (3) it fails to even attempt to refute that Ulfric is racist and only seeks to justify it.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Obviously they arent full citizens if they cant leave the gray district, also there is no solid evidence they are, all I see is a Lady who say "Ulfric should raise their taxes" obviously she doesnt know whetther or not they pay taxes or if they dont (how could she) she just want them to be punished for violating her.

its funny because evrything ive said that has been right you jsut ignore and only respond to the stuff you think you can argue about, I respond to your entire post which is why you will see me admit i was wrong on somethings.. the argument has gone nowere, i am not desperate. If you think that they are citizens and they have all the rights of nords in windhelm then ur mistaken. Obviously they dont. Obviously they arent citizens. You cant tell me that if they supported the stormcloaks, ulfric would turn down the extra men. Obviously I didnt mean that the same rules aplied for all races in Eastmarch, your argument is invalid.

strong·hold

/ˈstrôNGˌhōld/
Noun
Well windhelm is fortified against attack, Windhelm is therefore a Stronghold. True the sole purpose is to house the tribe, that is exactly what these "racist nords" want too do. They are wary of elves because elves are known to take their fellow talos worshipers. Just like Orcs are wary of travelers for no good reason. So what because the Nords of Windhelm are more tribal we should change their way of life and force them into the standards of the Imperial City? Just let them do there thing, they might not let dark elves into there "tribe" but why is it just to force them too. Argument Invalid
It's times like these when I really wish there was a "you have no idea what you're talking about" rating we could give.

PrisonerLizzie

First of all you're the one claiming that they weren't citizens with absolutely nothing to support the claim other than fabrications of your mind. Second, there's this thing called "common sense" which leads normal rational people to assume that when one lives some place for almost 200 years one is probably recognized as a citizen. Third, Viola is assuming he pays taxes because all citizens pay taxes and she knows the resident Dunmer of Windhelm are citizens. She's reflecting common knowledge of all NPCs of Windhelm even if you're too dense to get that.

Second, there's this thing called "common sense" which leads normal rational people to assume that when one lives some place for almost 200 years one is probably recognized as a citizen.
Not really. Africans had been brought into the Americas in the 1600s, most as slaves, fast forward over the centuries. During this time some had gotten their freedoms by various means but were not considered citizens. After the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862 the slaves were free however not considered citizens. The Naturalization Act of 1870 helped with some of this but it wasn't until 1952 with the passing of the Immigration and Nationality Act that abolished racial restrictions that things got a little easier. So realistically it may be very difficult or even impossible for the Dunmer to even gain citizenship. Without access to documents we can't say either way.​
Viola is assuming he pays taxes because all citizens pay taxes and she knows the resident Dunmer of Windhelm are citizens. She's reflecting common knowledge of all NPCs of Windhelm even if you're too dense to get that.​
This is also not a good thing to go on. My busybody neighbor has been assuming that I don't pay my rent and have been getting kicked out of my apartment since I moved in back in May neither of which is true but as I don't participate in the gossip with her she has nothing else to say about me. Some things might just be unfounded. She might be ASSUMING the Dunmer of Windhelm pay taxes but have no proof. What you are interpreting as "common knowledge" might just be the outspoken opinion of a troublemaking NPC. And Dagmar, we all know what happens when people assume.​

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Second, there's this thing called "common sense" which leads normal rational people to assume that when one lives some place for almost 200 years one is probably recognized as a citizen.

Not really. Africans had been brought into the Americas in the 1600s, most as slaves, fast forward over the centuries. During this time some had gotten their freedoms by various means but were not considered citizens. After the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862 the slaves were free however not considered citizens. The Naturalization Act of 1870 helped with some of this but it wasn't until 1952 with the passing of the Immigration and Nationality Act that abolished racial restrictions that things got a little easier. So realistically it may be very difficult or even impossible for the Dunmer to even gain citizenship. Without access to documents we can't say either way.

Viola is assuming he pays taxes because all citizens pay taxes and she knows the resident Dunmer of Windhelm are citizens. She's reflecting common knowledge of all NPCs of Windhelm even if you're too dense to get that.

This is also not a good thing to go on. My busybody neighbor has been assuming that I don't pay my rent and have been getting kicked out of my apartment since I moved in back in May neither of which is true but as I don't participate in the gossip with her she has nothing else to say about me. Some things might just be unfounded. She might be ASSUMING the Dunmer of Windhelm pay taxes but have no proof. What you are interpreting as "common knowledge" might just be the outspoken opinion of a troublemaking NPC. And Dagmar, we all know what happens when people assume.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
I always side with the empire. So far all of my characters have looked at it as, "Yeah, the empire would have killed me without a second thought. But I got away, and I live. So I want what is best for Skyrim, which is the empire."

I do plan on making a stealth and dagger character who wants to get back at the empire for nearly cutting her life short for no reason, though.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Not really. Africans had been brought into the Americas in the 1600s, most as slaves, fast forward over the centuries. During this time some had gotten their freedoms by various means but were not considered citizens. After the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862 the slaves were free however not considered citizens. The Naturalization Act of 1870 helped with some of this but it wasn't until 1952 with the passing of the Immigration and Nationality Act that abolished racial restrictions that things got a little easier. So realistically it may be very difficult or even impossible for the Dunmer to even gain citizenship. Without access to documents we can't say either way.
The Dunmer didn't come to Windhelm as slaves so that's a meaningless comparison. A meaningful comparison would be one where a large group of refugees was admitted to a country and went on to establish homes, lives and families there for 200 years, e.g. the Irish refugees during the famines in Ireland. Unless you can provide for a situation in which something like that happened and they weren't afforded citizenship within 2 centuries you have nothing to refute the proposition that common sense dictates that we can assume that the Dunmer are citizens or have some similar legal status after such a long period of being residents of Windhelm. The irony of your attempt to compare the situation of African Americans is that their situation was borne out of a far more oppressive system of racism than the racism under Ulfric's rule. In doing so you would only have created a situation that implies that Windhelm's citizenship policies are no less racist than those that existed in the United States during the period of time to which you referred which would only compound how racist Ulfric really is by piling that on top of the segregation law.​
This is also not a good thing to go on. My busybody neighbor has been assuming that I don't pay my rent and have been getting kicked out of my apartment since I moved in back in May neither of which is true but as I don't participate in the gossip with her she has nothing else to say about me.
This isn't analogous. If anything it's the exact opposite. What would be analogous is if she had assumed you had been paying your rent because you had been living there without incident with your landlord for years. That's a logical assumption based on the existence of the fact that normally all tenants pay rent to the landlord to live in their apartment just as it's a logical assumption that Revyn pays taxes because of the fact that all residents pay taxes including the Dunmer. Characterizing it as a speculative assumption is about as valid as characterizing the belief that most or all of the tenants in good standing with your landlord pay rent is speculative assumption. If that's the strength of the argument you're relying upon have fun with it but it takes a close second to Raijin's delusional attempt to claim that the book that tells about Ulfric's massacre of non-combatants at Markarth isn't true even though there isn't anything in the game that implies or provides anything to infer that it is anything less than the truth. You also may as well dismiss the majority of the lore as nothing more than speculative assumptions with such a criterion and doing so places your views outside of the scope of any meaningful discussion about what the game presents to the player.