Opinions on the Dragonborn having a story after Skryim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lewsean

I think it would be a one off right? Past characters just sort of drift into obscurity, but something about Skyrim and how there is quite a bit of emphasis on the Dovahkiin being a born leader gives me the impression he could be involved in the next war against the The Aldmeri Dominion or something along those lines.
Just wondered if anyone thought the same :)?

TheNatural

I personally feel that if the next game holds true to past form and takes place after Skyrim chronologically, then there should be at least some reference to the Dragonborn in the next game, the main story is just too important to ignore. It could be argued that in oblivion, it was a joint effort that "saved the world". In Skyrim though, your character in the main story is so overtly the only one that can possibly prevent total annihilation that it's going to be difficult to just have extremely vague references to some sort of Dragon crisis.

That being said, I would not be shocked if the next game takes place in the past. I'm 50/50 at the moment on that, though.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Since the Dragon Born has been referenced in the last 2 games, I don't doubt that he/she will be referenced in the next one as well (if there is one).

Query: Is the Dragon Born referenced in TESO?

Wildroses

Interestingly in my head cannon all my characters including the Dragonborns retire from adventuring to drift off into obscurity (apart from the devoted Dawnguard one who was brutally murdered with her husband by a pack of angry vampires 5-10 years after the game). I simply decide that they've had enough adventure for a lifetime and I nearly always marry or adopt, so they have a reason not to rush off into danger right there. Some of the more cynical ones end up deciding the only way to stop NPCs pestering them is to stop agreeing to their requests.

Future games-wise though, I really do think drifting off into obscurity is going to be the Dragonborn's fate. They'll want to keep numbers six onwards accessible for new players, so a couple of books or remarks from NPCs about the legendary Dragonborn of history who saved the world from Alduin and the dragons is probably the best we can hope for.

My theory for the next Elder Scrolls game, for which I have zero evidence to support, is that the game is going to have the Thalmor as the main antagonists. Either it will involve the next Aldmeri Dominion war, or it will take place after the Aldmeri Dominion war which the Thalmor won. If the Thalmor have any say over how history is presented or remembered (and they are too big and powerful an organisation to have zero influence) then they are probably going to present a view of history in which the Dovahkin is at best unimportant and at worse reviled. And there are certainly plenty of chances in Skyrim for the Dovahkiin to actively disrupt Thalmor operations and gain their ire.

JoeReese

Interestingly in my head cannon all my characters including the Dragonborns retire from adventuring to drift off into obscurity (apart from the devoted Dawnguard one who was brutally murdered with her husband by a pack of angry vampires 5-10 years after the game). I simply decide that they've had enough adventure for a lifetime and I nearly always marry or adopt, so they have a reason not to rush off into danger right there. Some of the more cynical ones end up deciding the only way to stop NPCs pestering them is to stop agreeing to their requests.

Future games-wise though, I really do think drifting off into obscurity is going to be the Dragonborn's fate. They'll want to keep numbers six onwards accessible for new players, so a couple of books or remarks from NPCs about the legendary Dragonborn of history who saved the world from Alduin and the dragons is probably the best we can hope for.

My theory for the next Elder Scrolls game, for which I have zero evidence to support, is that the game is going to have the Thalmor as the main antagonists. Either it will involve the next Aldmeri Dominion war, or it will take place after the Aldmeri Dominion war which the Thalmor won. If the Thalmor have any say over how history is presented or remembered (and they are too big and powerful an organisation to have zero influence) then they are probably going to present a view of history in which the Dovahkin is at best unimportant and at worse reviled. And there are certainly plenty of chances in Skyrim for the Dovahkiin to actively disrupt Thalmor operations and gain their ire.
Muhahaha. I can only hope. "Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm huntin' Thalmowr. Uhuhuhuhuh"

Hmm. Depends on what you mean by "story". I think it'd be weird if the Dragonborn was in the next TES game as a main character. Whether it takes place in the past or not it just wouldn't seem right. References would be OK though, there do seem to be plenty of references to Oblivion in Skyrim, so why not references to the Dragonborn in the next game? After all supposedly you are the LAST Dragonborn so how could there be others? Eh. That's my two cents on it anyway..

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Well this is what happened to past heroes of the earlier games:
Arena- not really known but probably got some job or power within the Empire and faded into obscurity
Daggerfall- died during the warp in the west
Morrowind- left to explore Akavir
Oblivion- not really specified but probably just ended up leaving for the Shivering Isles to be Sheogorath full time
My guess is for skyrim is that they don't want someone that powerful hanging around cause that will throw stuff off, probably assassinated by the thalmor or is hanging out in apocrypha.

Also eso is before skyrim, so no dovahkiin

Lewsean

Arena- not really known but probably got some job or power within the Empire and faded into obscurity
Oblivion- not really specified but probably just ended up leaving for the Shivering Isles to be Sheogorath full time
My guess is for skyrim is that they don't want someone that powerful hanging around cause that will throw stuff off, probably assassinated by the thalmor or is hanging out in apocrypha.

He's the Last Dragonborn, a death like that would be an insult to the title. All Dragonborn through history have done great things and are rememberd, I will be very annoyed if they do another generic 'dissapeared in time' explanation as to what happened to him.

Ivory

Let's Player

Damn good question, I would also like to know this.

Yes the Dragonborn is talked about. The entire reason Molag Bal is able to begin sucking Nirn into oblivion is because of that legend in fact.

The Emperor at the time, Varen Aquilarious was told by Mannimarco that a ritual could cause him to be reborn as a Dragonborn if they found the Amulet of Kings. He went along with it and the ritual was considered to be sacrilege and the veil between Nirn and Oblivion was ripped apart. The promise that the dragonfires would be lit by one of the Dragonborn was broken. Molag Bal could begin taking Nirn for himself.

Toxius

Frost Wolf

He's the Last Dragonborn, a death like that would be an insult to the title. All Dragonborn through history have done great things and are rememberd, I will be very annoyed if they do another generic 'dissapeared in time' explanation as to what happened to him.

*cough* *cough*
One word. Miraak.

Lucid

Damn good question, I would also like to know this.

Yes the Dragonborn is talked about. The entire reason Molag Bal is able to begin sucking Nirn into oblivion is because of that legend in fact.

The Emperor at the time, Varen Aquilarious was told by Mannimarco that a ritual could cause him to be reborn as a Dragonborn if they found the Amulet of Kings. He went along with it and the ritual was considered to be sacrilege and the veil between Nirn and Oblivion was ripped apart. The promise that the dragonfires would be lit by one of the Dragonborn was broken. Molag Bal could begin taking Nirn for himself.

Ah yes, Mannimarco taking the amulet and declaring "I am Dragonborn". Because that's exactly how it works right? You declare it, so it must be so. How I laughed.

But in all seriousness, I don't imagine that the last dragonborn will figure too heavily into future TES lore or games, for the same reason that there's not much about the Nerevarine or the Hero of Kvatch. It's a player character that can be any race, gender, appearance and moral alignment. Maybe your dragonborn is a proud male Nord with a nuclear family, or a gay female Argonian assassin, or anything else. Did they defeat Alduin, or run from their destiny?

The beauty of the games is that our heroes are what we make of them. We're not all playing the same "Link". But that means we won't figure much into the lore.

Lewsean

*cough* *cough*
One word. Miraak.
Miraak is too conradictory to lore to be taken seriously. Just a character thrown into the game without much thought put into it.

Toxius

Frost Wolf
Miraak is too conradictory to lore to be taken seriously. Just a character thrown into the game without much thought put into it.

If that's how you see it.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

Not quite, there are several 'Dragonborn' in Sovngarde. If the game follows like every Elder Scroll to date, the hero will simply vanish after saving the world from Alduin.

Not every Dragonborn have done great things, besides Reman Cyrodiil and Tiber Septim.

The player character is rarely remembered past the plot story line.

The Last Dragonborn can be male or female, can be any race also. How would you continue that on, chances are the next game could be hundreds of years later. Historical events become myth and truth becomes muddled.

There would probably be a book that mentions the Dragonborn fighting Alduin, but unlikely much past that.

Last edited:

Ivory

Let's Player
Ah yes, Mannimarco taking the amulet and declaring "I am Dragonborn". Because that's exactly how it works right? You declare it, so it must be so. How I laughed.

It was supposed to turn him into one, make him reborn. He wasn't claiming to be one.

Just because you have an opinion that's been debunked, doesn't make the lore ignorable. You can't pick and choose what is and isn't lore. If you wanna do that, make your own game with a massive world and history.

Lewsean

Ignored Ivory, every post directed at me contains hostility. LOL

Not quite, there are several 'Dragonborn' in Sovngarde. If the game follows like every Elder Scroll to date, the hero will simply vanish after saving the world from Alduin.

Not every Dragonborn have done great things, besides Reman Cyrodiil and Tiber Septim.

The player character is rarely remembered past the plot story line.

The Last Dragonborn can be male or female, can be any race also. How would you continue that on, chances are the next game could be hundreds of years later. Historical events become myth and truth becomes muddled.

There would probably be a book that mentions the Dragonborn fighting Alduin, but unlikely much past that.
Please list these 'several' Dragonborn lol. Not one is present in Sovngarde.

Wildroses

One of the random lines given if you talk to all the "Hero of Sovngarde" NPCs in Sovngarde is: "Hail Dragonborn. That honour is also mine. To our shared birthright you bring new glory." So there are certainly Dragonborns present at Sovngarde. Come to think of it, if you are willing to spend half an hour running around all the NPCs in Sovngarde pressing E until the random dialogue generator decides to use that line you can make ALL the heroes in Sovngarde Dragonborn.

I'm not really sure you can write off Miraak just because you believe he contradicts the lore. It's pretty hard to get around the fact that he featured prominently in the DLC. I don't think it matters how much thought was put into Miraak before he was tossed into the game. Tossed he was and Elder Scrolls lore is stuck with him now. You don't have to like it, but Miraak really can't be ignored when discussing Dragonborns in history.

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Anyways my point was that in all previous ES games the last game's hero was a non-factor in current events for the most part, and that's because it kinda takes away from the present game's hero if there's a better one running around out there somewhere I know that's kinda grim and dissapointing for me to say he/she was assassinated by thalmor but everyone always underestimates them, and that could tie in nicely with the next games plot. (BTW I think in TES IV it's likely skyrim will be occupied by the dominion so they can say it didn't matter who won the civil war IMHO)