Spoiler Saving Private Malborn

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Naglfar

I've just recently finished the mission Diplomatic Immunity, anyone who's done this mission will know who I'm talking about, to those that haven't I'll try to minimise any spoilers.
When I arrived at the Thalmor base and a Dragon attacked, with no weapons it was pointless engaging it, so I headed inside. Long story short, I was about to escape with Etienne when I heard a shout and recognised it as my brave inside man Malborn.

What to do? With no means of escape we we're trapped, so I headed back to tackle the two Thalmor guards who were using Malborn to draw me out. I decided on caution as Etienne was in no position to fight with me. Despatching the first guard with my bow I headed up the stairs to see Malborn being swiftly dealt with, "NOOOOOO Malborn I cried" and the guard turned setting his sights on me, my anger rising the Thalmor guard took the full force of a Dragon shout, his cries curtailed with a sword to the face. I looked at the brave Malborn and felt a pang of guilt. This was my fault, his death was on my hands. I decided to cheat and go back and play the situation out again, but this time I'd keep my inside man alive and we'd flee that Embassy together and drink mead and celebrate our escape.

This time I was swift and arrived in time to despatch both guards with my controlled aggression, Malborn, Etienne and I escaped to the cave below, pleased with myself I turned to Malborn only to watch him flee past me towards the exit like a father at a Bieber concert. I arrived in time to watch the foolishly brave Malborn run straight into a right hand from a troll, "You win I am beaten" WTF Malborn you're asking for mercy from a troll? I was starting to think Malborn wasn't the brave man just trying to play a part in a bigger picture, but was instead a complete idiot.

No mind I'd made it my grail to keep him alive, this time I ran forward drew my bow and placed the troll in my sights only to see my arrow fly into the back of a fleeing Malborn who'd ran straight in front just as I released my arrow. What the Very Fu@k?

Take three, this time I ran foward and jumped down, whilst in the air I used a shout to stagger the troll before swiftly killing the unfortunate beast, the three of us headed towards the light and exited the cave, we'd done it, Malborn was alive, I smiled I'd done it we we're all alive. We'd be drinking mead and telling stories of how we'd escaped the clutches of the Thalmor.

My joy was short lived as I heard the cries of the dragon to late as it swooped down knocking me off my feet, I watched unable to help as the foolishly brave idiot Malborn ran past my stricken body to plant a left hand on the chin of the dragon...........

His brave moment was short lived as the dragon picked him up and tossed his body in the air like a rag doll. He'd saved my life, his sacrifice gave me enough time to gather myself and kill the already half dead dragon. I decided that this would a fitting end to his tale, from here on I'd remember him as Malborn the Dragon puncher. I'll commission a song when I get to Solitude so that everyone will know the tale of the Foolishly Brave Elf known as Malborn.

God speed my brave brave idiot.............

ronnyhenri

What? Oh. Goodby
Last time i finished "Diplomatic Immunity" Malborn got killed by a bear when fleeing the Thalmor Embassy. Come to think of it, I think most of the times i did this particular quest, he died. He's a very unfortunate lad isn't he? o_O

Naglfar

Last time i finished "Diplomatic Immunity" Malborn got killed by a bear when fleeing the Thalmor Embassy. Come to think of it, I think most of the times i did this particular quest, he died. He's a very unfortunate lad isn't he? o_O

I bet he'd tried to punch it right? I reckon I'd have had to shadow him all the way back to whatever City he was fleeing to!

JoeReese

I've tried many times to save Private Malborn. He seems to want to die. Lately, I have been using console commands to arm and armor him, right before we leave the dungeon, and then I make sure and kill the troll, before I shadow him as far as I can. He usually loses me, but he does end up in Windhelm. I've killed the assassin, followed him all the way to Morrowind, only to have him rush one of the trolls at the last minute. There is no option to knock him out and drag him to morrowind, so my next best thing is to try to pave the way. Now I kill the assassin, then run up the road and kill everything potentially harmful, clean out the bandits, knock off the trolls, and STILL he sometimes wanders into the woods and becomes sabre cat snacks. Only twice have I actually gotten him to the border.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Oh gods, does this mean that the one and only time I saved that elf, he kicked it when we parted ways?

You know who else is like that? That dude who insists on going with you to the Eldergleam Sanctuary, Maurice Jondrelle. I swear that guy is bat s**t crazy and tries to fight every living creature you encounter with his bare hands. One time, I was determined to get him there in one piece, and it's difficult when you haven't discovered the place. So I had to walk from Ivastead and had to reload so many times, since the guy got killed by that troll down by the river (multiple times), a dragon(twice), a pack of wolves (After refusing to cross a little stream and went off on his own across the bridge), a group of bandits, a bear and then a sabre cat.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
You know who else is like that? That dude who insists on going with you to the Eldergleam Sanctuary, Maurice Jondrelle. I swear that guy is bat s**t crazy and tries to fight every living creature you encounter with his bare hands. ....

I was thinking the exact same thing... lol

Punching a sabre cat, bear, etc.... Maurice isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
You know who else is like that? That dude who insists on going with you to the Eldergleam Sanctuary, Maurice Jondrelle. I swear that guy is bat s**t crazy and tries to fight every living creature you encounter with his bare hands. ....

I was thinking the exact same thing... lol

Punching a sabre cat, bear, etc.... Maurice isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?

Oh Gods no..! that one time, I was a nervous wreck by the time we made it to the Sanctuary. Never...again.. :D

Rimfaxe96

I remember one time when I fled the dungeon with all 3, Malborn, Brelas and Etienne. We were barely outside when apparently the Thalmor had tracked us, either way there was a death squad running and before I noticed they managed to cut Brelas down within a few seconds.

They're quick to react, I'll give them that.

ronnyhenri

What? Oh. Goodby
I have to say I always been able to rescue Etienne from the Thalmor. He's the chap from the Thieves Guild, no?

Naglfar

Oh gods, does this mean that the one and only time I saved that elf, he kicked it when we parted ways?

You know who else is like that? That dude who insists on going with you to the Eldergleam Sanctuary, Maurice Jondrelle. I swear that guy is bat s**t crazy and tries to fight every living creature you encounter with his bare hands. One time, I was determined to get him there in one piece, and it's difficult when you haven't discovered the place. So I had to walk from Ivastead and had to reload so many times, since the guy got killed by that troll down by the river (multiple times), a dragon(twice), a pack of wolves (After refusing to cross a little stream and went off on his own across the bridge), a group of bandits, a bear and then a sabre cat.

Unfortunately, he probably died, he's seems rather good at that!

Funnily enough, Maurice Jondrelle is currently in Breezehome waiting for me to gather my supplies and pick a suitable outfit before we head out to the Eldergleam Sanctuary. I can't believe I've chosen this very quest right after the last comical adventure.

Naglfar

Well this quest was rather uneventful really, Maurice only died once, death by Dragon. We must have had different Maurices as mine was rather cowardly, even running from a rat! The moment I heard Inigo scream "Great big flying sausage" Maurice was half way up the side of that mountain outside Whiterun across the bridge.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

Well this quest was rather uneventful really, Maurice only died once, death by Dragon. We must have had different Maurices as mine was rather cowardly, even running from a rat! The moment I heard Inigo scream "Great big flying sausage" Maurice was half way up the side of that mountain outside Whiterun across the bridge.

You had Maurice on his Meds then. Mine was a crazy-assed MFkr. Now, I let him come with me but the minute he goes all "Rocky"-like, he is on his own.

Naglfar

You had Maurice on his Meds then. Mine was a crazy-assed MFkr. Now, I let him come with me but the minute he goes all "Rocky"-like, he is on his own.

Those "meds" are probably have something to do with the Mod When Dragons Attack, causing all non essential NPCs to take cover. I guess Malborn was just one of a kind!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Those "meds" are probably have something to do with the Mod When Dragons Attack, causing all non essential NPCs to take cover. I guess Malborn was just one of a kind!

I've lost so many NPC's... mostly to Vampire attacks.
Whiterun is a ghost town now and almost completely useless to me. And it happened right in the middle of the Civil war quest defending the city! It was absolute carnage...

Naglfar

Whiterun is a ghost town now and almost completely useless to me. And it happened right in the middle of the Civil war quest defending the city! It was absolute carnage...

Those damn Vampires are a pain the arse, not long after I'd started the game with this playthrough I got a message from a courier saying adrianne avenicci was dead and had left me money. Killed by Vampires attacking Whiterun. I've only ever done the Civil War quest once and that was on Xbox 360. Mostly my characters aren't interested in taking sides.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

Those damn Vampires are a pain the arse, not long after I'd started the game with this playthrough I got a message from a courier saying adrianne avenicci was dead and had left me money. Killed by Vampires attacking Whiterun. I've only ever done the Civil War quest once and that was on Xbox 360. Mostly my characters aren't interested in taking sides.

I lost Adrianne and her husband in that one attack, along with some others...
Another playthrough I lost both the Dawnstar smiths. The Husband tried to take on a dragon with a dagger.. a DAGGER! You're a smith gods dammed you! And then his wife decided to attack a master Vampire the next night... I guess she couldn't live without her husband. They all received a proper burial from me (They got cremated in their respective forges).

JoeReese

This is why, when I got PC, I became console command happy. I always drop 4-6 extra guards into town, so there are enough blades to keep these mothergrabbers back.

Naglfar

I lost Adrianne and her husband in that one attack, along with some others...
Another playthrough I lost both the Dawnstar smiths. The Husband tried to take on a dragon with a dagger.. a DAGGER! You're a smith gods dammed you! And then his wife decided to attack a master Vampire the next night... I guess she couldn't live without her husband. They all received a proper burial from me (They got cremated in their respective forges).

When Adrianne died I went to see her husband, the dialogue gave me the option to ask who now makes your weapons and armour? He replied that he has it all delivered in. What would have been great is, if I had the option to buy the smith off him and sell armour and weapons that I've made! I'd keep him on in a job but he'd sell my stuff, a profit for both of us.

I remember playing on the 360 and a dragon attacked Riverwood, I watched as the dragon cremated a child right in front of me only to see that child turn towards me its body enveloped in flames and ask me did I want to play? Very creepy indeed. That's what made the Vanilla game great.