• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I may need to leave the forums. There are currently 5 new SPAM postings here. What can we do about them (other than report and I'm getting very tired of reporting them.):) It's getting so that there's more SPAM than forum. What happened, this wasn't happening before (up until about 2 weeks ago that is :))

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Maybe it would be possible to require a minimum number of posts made before someone could create a new thread. Even just requiring 5 or 10 posts might eliminate the spam-bot issue.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I may need to leave the forums. There are currently 5 new SPAM postings here. What can we do about them (other than report and I'm getting very tired of reporting them.):) It's getting so that there's more SPAM than forum. What happened, this wasn't happening before (up until about 2 weeks ago that is :))

Just out of curiosity, why would you leave the forums because there are a few spam threads being posted? I know they're annoying, but just report them and that's that.

Also, I kinda like Raido's idea of a minimun number of posts before being allowed to create a thread. Maybe that would cut down on the spam threads?

Daelon DuLac

Just out of curiosity, why would you leave the forums because there are a few spam threads being posted? I know they're annoying, but just report them and that's that.

Also, I kinda like Raido's idea of a minimun number of posts before being allowed to create a thread. Maybe that would cut down on the spam threads?
I'm not one for searching through more than the 1st page for posts to reply or comment on. This morning, I'm looking at the forum and a good 1/2 of the posts are SPAM. It's just too much to sort through and, to me it seems like a precedence is being set that they are acceptable as they remain there for days before going bye-bye. I find SPAM in my email unacceptable, why would I expect less from a forum that has, for over a year now been almost SPAM free. I luv this place but I'm not about to start sorting through arcane crap that has nothing to do with Skyrim in order to find that little nugget that might be good.

I too agree with Raido. It sounds like a good idea to me.

Cherry

I'm not one for searching through more than the 1st page for posts to reply or comment on. This morning, I'm looking at the forum and a good 1/2 of the posts are SPAM. It's just too much to sort through and, to me it seems like a precedence is being set that they are acceptable as they remain there for days before going bye-bye. I find SPAM in my email unacceptable, why would I expect less from a forum that has, for over a year now been almost SPAM free. I luv this place but I'm not about to start sorting through arcane crap that has nothing to do with Skyrim in order to find that little nugget that might be good.

I too agree with Raido. It sounds like a good idea to me.

I see your point. I guess I just don't find it quite that annoying because I generally don't seem to use these forums as much as you do.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

Not sure why you're getting tired of reporting spam. By reporting them you are helping the moderators to cleanse this forum of filth. Why would you be getting tired of helping out the moderators?

Daelon DuLac

Not sure why you're getting tired of reporting spam. By reporting them you are helping the moderators to cleanse this forum of filth. Why would you be getting tired of helping out the moderators?
I agree. It just doesn't seem to make whole lot of difference. I barely have time to keep upping my 5K+ postings on real subjects without taking the time tor report all the SPAM. I'm just being whiny, that's all. :)

Lucid

Maybe it would be possible to require a minimum number of posts made before someone could create a new thread. Even just requiring 5 or 10 posts might eliminate the spam-bot issue.

This is a good idea, except in the Introductions sub-forum. I think that (legitimate) new members should still be able to make themselves known without having to meet a minimum post count first. I've seen this work well in other forums.

It doesn't address the issue of spam posts in existing threads though.

Daelon DuLac

This is a good idea, except in the Introductions sub-forum. I think that (legitimate) new members should still be able to make themselves known without having to meet a minimum post count first. I've seen this work well in other forums.

Why do you always have the most "Lucid" and cogent ideas? Oh wait... it's right there in your handle! :)

Lucid

Why do you always have the most "Lucid" and cogent ideas? Oh wait... it's right there in your handle! :)
It's not just a user name, it's a state of being ;)

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass

I like the idea of having the intros available from post 1.

As far as spam in existing threads, you are never gonna eliminate it 100%. It does seem of late though that most of what's there is likely bot-generated which seems to primarily make new threads. The minimum post to create a thread would have caught all of those.

I don't know whether the system is capable of flagging certain text strings. If it can, maybe flagging the various names of that given supplement that seems to keep popping up could help. Don't know if the system can do that or if there are other unintended issues it creates.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I also put it to the Mods one time that new members should not be allowed to post pictures until they have posted a certain number of times, thus eliminating the OTHER spammer (you know the one I mean). Didn't hear back from them though.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I have a much better Idea I brought up months ago how about have it so you can only make a new thread if you have at least 10 Likes

JoeReese

It's not just a user name, it's a state of being ;)
See? But nobody will let me change my name to Eats-Everything, or something more fitting like that.

Cherry

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I agree that something else should be done... while reporting the spammers is a good way to trim down on it, something has to be done to prevent them from coming back, because they just keep coming and making new accounts and spamming us. I agree that maybe a flagging method should be considered that so certain titles or thread content will be blocked and prevent the spam. I'm not sure what else we can do though.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I have a much better Idea I brought up months ago how about have it so you can only make a new thread if you have at least 10 Likes
If it's possible to filter it out that way, it would be effective

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I've been on forums where it was 50 posts before you could post a new thread. That's probably a bit extreme, but something similar would probably work.

And what's with people "leaving"? Drunken made a remark that he was "done" and now Daelon threatens to "leave". Is there something happening somewhere on the forums that I'm not privy to and people are getting upset and deleting their bookmarks? I realize I lurk more than I post, but surely there's no reason for everyone to start jumping ship.

Lucid

So only likeable people can make new threads? You're ruling out the majority of society ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts