• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
J

Jeremius

From what the Wiki says. I guess you are Dragonborn by virtue of your blood giving you the ability to acquire the special abilities that a one who is Dragonborn is able to acquire. Whether you, as an individual with dragonblood actually pursue being the "Dragonborn" is really not important.

To me it's like saying that I'm not Norwegian despite both of my parents being Norwegian and being born in Norway because I do not live in Norway and have no involvement with Norwegian culture or life.

I'm still Norwegian, I have just chosen not to pursue it.

Just my opinion.

And the "dragonborn" would not be so without Alduin. Like every other Dragonborn, except Miraak, the Last Dragonborn has a purpose, a reason for that soul.

Not really. There were a number of dragonborn after Alduin's disappearance that we do not hear much about, who don't seem to have had any specific destiny or purpose to fulfil.
Your incessant insistence that a specific destiny is required to be considered dragonborn is simply false in view of the lore and the canon definition of the term. The only criterion is being born with the soul of a dragon. What you do with your life has no meaning whatsoever in this context.

Martin was dragonborn, not only because he was the son of an emperor, but also because he was chosen to save the world form Mehrunes Dagon. Just like Tiber Septim was dragonborn not just by blood, but by uniting all of Tamriel. Those are the reasons behind the soul. it is not just some random thing that Akatosh hands out for no reason.

Dragonborn are dragonborn not because of their soul, but the reason they have it. Like the Dragonborn emperors of the Septim line were neded to keep the dragonfires lit, and Tiber Septim was given the soul to unite all of Tanriel and defeat the enemies of the Empire.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
And the "dragonborn" would not be so without Alduin. Like every other Dragonborn, except Miraak, the Last Dragonborn has a purpose, a reason for that soul.

Not really. There were a number of dragonborn after Alduin's disappearance that we do not hear much about, who don't seem to have had any specific destiny or purpose to fulfil.
Your incessant insistence that a specific destiny is required to be considered dragonborn is simply false in view of the lore and the canon definition of the term. The only criterion is being born with the soul of a dragon. What you do with your life has no meaning whatsoever in this context.

Martin was dragonborn, not only because he was the son of an emperor, but also because he was chosen to save the world form Mehrunes Dagon. Just like Tiber Septim was dragonborn not just by blood, but by uniting all of Tamriel. Those are the reasons behind the soul. it is not just some random thing that Akatosh hands out for no reason.
So basically you're saying that, just because I am dragonborn that I am required to save the world from Alduin? BS. If I don't want to save the world, I won't save the world. It's my choice. Screw Akatosh. In this case, apparently, the omniscient, all knowing, ever so generous leader of the Aedra made a mistake.:ashstab:

Kross

Dragonborn are dragonborn not because of their soul, but the reason they have it. Like the Dragonborn emperors of the Septim line were neded to keep the dragonfires lit, and Tiber Septim was given the soul to unite all of Tanriel and defeat the enemies of the Empire.

That's simply not true according to the lore or the canon.
But assuming that's true, how do you account for all the dragonborn there have been that didn't have any meaningful destinies?
Did Akatosh mean for them to just die without fulfilling any specific purpose?

J

Jeremius

But assuming that's true, how do you account for all the dragonborn there have been that didn't have any meaningful destinies?

Which ones? The Septims? They had a reason, that being that a dragonborn emperor was needed to keep the dragonfires lit. Miraak? The guy sold his soul to a Daedric prince?

J

Jeremius

So basically you're saying that, just because I am dragonborn that I am required to save the world from Alduin? BS. If I don't want to save the world, I won't save the world. It's my choice. Screw Akatosh. In this case, apparently, the omniscient, all knowing, ever so generous leader of the Aedra made a mistake.:ashstab:

I am saying that Alduin is the reason you have the soul in first place, because a Dragonborn was needed to stop him from eating the world too soon.

Daelon DuLac

I am saying that Alduin is the reason you have the soul in first place, because a Dragonborn was needed to stop him from eating the world too soon.
Then I'll be grateful to Alduin and let him go about his business. I stick by my screw Akatosh. I didn't ask for this.

Kross

Which ones? The Septims? They had a reason, that being that a dragonborn emperor was needed to keep the dragonfires lit. Miraak? The guy sold his soul to a Daedric prince?

From uesp.net:

It's not known how many Dragonborn have arisen over the course of history. The Greybeards of High Hrothgar warned that many of them met their downfall because the ease with which they learned the thu'um made them arrogant.

J

Jeremius

Then I'll be grateful to Alduin and let him go about his business. I stick by my screw Akatosh. I didn't ask for this.

If Alduin devours the world, there would be nothing left for you to care about. Makes sense that they would be Dragonborn. But I one does not follow the purpose they were given the soul for, it is like they weren't in the first place. So why should I consider my character Dragonborn if I do not follow the reason I have it in the first place?

Kross: I was only talking about the known ones, not the ones that were unknown.

Daelon DuLac

If Alduin devours the world, there would be nothing left for you to care about. Makes sense that they would be Dragonborn. But I one does not follow the purpose they were given the soul for, it is like they weren't in the first place. So why should I consider my character Dragonborn if I do not follow the reason I have it in the first place?

So when is Alduin going to start? Like I said, all I'm seeing is some souls being eaten in Sovngaard and the occassional dragon flying around. As Paarthanax and the Grey Beards point out - Maybe it's time to start a new world anyhow. At least then we'd be rid of the Stormcloaks, the Empire and the Thalmor and we can all live in idylic peace in our Shangra'La like Utopia. :) Oh wait... okay, so whomever or whatever comes next can live in the Utopia. :)

J

Jeremius

So when is Alduin going to start? Like I said, all I'm seeing is some souls being eaten in Sovngaard and the occassional dragon flying around. As Paarthanax and the Grey Beards point out - Maybe it's time to start a new world anyhow. At least then we'd be rid of the Stormcloaks, the Empire and the Thalmor and we can all live in idylic peace in our Shangra'La like Utopia. :) Oh wait... okay, so whomever or whatever comes next can live in the Utopia. :)

it is not time for him to do that yet, his existence at this time is why you have the soul. Stop him and the purpose is fulfilled.

Kross

And I am talking about reality in general.
It's fine for you to say that your character isn't fulfilling his destiny as the dragonborn, or that he isn't acting like a dragonborn or isn't dragonborn in any meaningful way.
The only thing I dispute is when you say that they aren't physically dragonborn, i.e. born with the soul of a dragon.

Daelon DuLac

It's fine for you to say that your character isn't fulfilling his destiny as the dragonborn, or that he isn't acting like a dragonborn or isn't dragonborn in any meaningful way.
The only thing I dispute is when you say that they aren't physically dragonborn, i.e. born with the soul of a dragon.
Of course he/she is dragonborn physically. That can't be denied. It's silly to say that. See my post about being Norwegian. You can't deny what you are, you can only deny what you do or what others think you are "required" to do.

J

Jeremius

I will admit defeat there. but Dragonborn is supposed to be more meaningful that just being born with a soul, as stated by all the famous Dragonborn in history that fulfilled their duties as dragonborn.

Being Dragonborn, and Being a meaningful one, are separate things.

Kross

I will admit defeat there. but Dragonborn is supposed to be more meaningful that just being born with a soul, as stated by all the famous Dragonborn in history that fulfilled their duties as dragonborn.

Alright, now we agree. Or have gotten over the misunderstanding, it seems. I misunderstood you as saying they weren't physically dragonborn unless you did the quests etc.

J

Jeremius

Alright, now we agree. Or have gotten over the misunderstanding, it seems. I misunderstood you as saying they weren't physically dragonborn unless you did the quests etc.

I was saying there was not any meaning behind being dragonborn so I treat my characters as not dragonborn because they have no meaning behind it.

As for the unknown ones, they may have had a purpose, we just do not know who they were, so we do not know their purpose.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
And it is getting off-topic. I am done with it. My characters are not Dragonborn like the Septims because they never use it. They may be in the soul, but without them being one in person, that is pointless.

What's pointless is not taking an advantage of a gift that was given to you. What's pointless is buying a game, and purposely not going through the available quests (especially the main ones) that was given to you by the hard working staffs at Bethesda.

Let me ask you a question and don't take it the wrong way.... How can you enjoy Skyrim when you rarely do the mainquest? Your best bet is to stick with Oblivion or morrowind where you are not the dragonborn.

Daelon DuLac

And it is getting off-topic. I am done with it. My characters are not Dragonborn like the Septims because they never use it. They may be in the soul, but without them being one in person, that is pointless.

What's pointless is not taking an advantage of a gift that was given to you. What's pointless is buying a game, and purposely not going through the available quests (especially the main ones) that was given to you by the hard working staffs at Bethesda.

Let me ask you a question and don't take it the wrong way.... How can you enjoy Skyrim when you rarely do the mainquest? Your best bet is to stick with Oblivion or morrowind where you are not the dragonborn.
There are just so many other great things to do in Skyrim besides the Civil War and the Dragon Quests. As many times as I've played it just gets boring and there is very little point to each one. They don't seem to make a difference. Nobody cares and you're rarely, if every acknowledged. At least with some of the Thane quests, Solstheim or Dawnguard, in the long run there's a result that matters. With both the Civil War and Alduin, you seem to be the only one that knows or cares that anything even happened.

Don't get me wrong. I still do the questlines (okay, I usually skip the Civil War or just go Imperial and get it over with), they're just not as enjoyable as others and there are so few RP opportunities in them that they just don't have as much joy as the others.

J

Jeremius

Let me answer your question with a question: How can you enjoy Skyrim doing the same thing for the same reason all the time? Some people like being different, so Why can't I not do the main questline and RP that my character has no idea what a DragonBorn is or their role in the world of Tamriel?

Raijin

Let me answer your question with a question: How can you enjoy Skyrim doing the same thing for the same reason all the time? Some people like being different, so Why can't I not do the main questline and RP that my character has no idea what a DragonBorn is or their role in the world of Tamriel?

If I don't feel like playing a Dragonborn character I simply play another game like Dragon Age or The witcher. Besides you don't have to play the same thing. You can either be a warrior or a mage... or an assassin... with having the power of a Dragonborn.

Raijin

There are just so many other great things to do in Skyrim besides the Civil War and the Dragon Quests. As many times as I've played it just gets boring and there is very little point to each one. They don't seem to make a difference. Nobody cares and you're rarely, if every acknowledged. At least with some of the Thane quests, Solstheim or Dawnguard, in the long run there's a result that matters. With both the Civil War and Alduin, you seem to be the only one that knows or cares that anything even happened.

Don't get me wrong. I still do the questlines (okay, I usually skip the Civil War or just go Imperial and get it over with), they're just not as enjoyable as others and there are so few RP opportunities in them that they just don't have as much joy as the others.

But you cut yourself short on so many quests. Theirs so many quests that you can do. Their not unlimited. If the game gets boring then it's time to uninstall skyrim and take a break from it for a while, and get yourself another game to play with.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts