What are you playing? Build thread.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SeaDog

This may have been done before, but I didn't see one. So, what kind of toon are you running in our beloved Skyrim? Share your builds here. Here are a few ideas that I am trying now, or will try shortly.

Bosmer - Assassin/Thief (playing now)
1. Archery
2. One-handed
3. Sneak
4. Lockpicking
5. Illusion

Dunmer or Altmer - Full Mage (gonna be tough)
1. Destruction
2. Conjuration
3. Alteration
4. Enchanting
5. Alchemy

Nord - Woodsman
1. Two handed
2. Light Armor
3. Smithing
4. Sneak
5. Restoration

Imperial - Paladin
1. One Handed
2. Heavy Armor
3. Block
4. Restoration
5. Smithing

Anyway, what are you playing? Try to limit your talents to 4 or 5 please? Add your own, or critique others (gently please). More to follow.

SeaDog

What about a (relatively) non-combatant class. Like a Tradesman.

Orc or Nord - Tradesman
1. Two Handed (Got to have something in Skyrim, right?)
2. Speech
3. Smithing
4. Enchanting
5. Alchemy

Probably would be a little bit boring, but you'd be rolling in cash. Just a thought.

SeaDog

Maybe a Warlock.

Breton, Dunmer or Altmer - Warlock
1. Conjuration
2. Alteration
3. Destruction
4. Enchanting
5. One handed

SeaDog

The Cut-purse.

Argonian or Khajit (obviously)
1. Lockpick or Sneak (depending on race)
2. Sneak or Lockpick (depending on #1)
3. Pickpocket
4. Light Armor
5. Players choice - One handed, Restoration, Alteration, Illusion, or Alchemy.

Titanburner

Premium Member
Posted this awhile back but here we go...

Spellsword (My Version)

Race: Dunmer

Skills & Perks:

Light Armor - Agile Defender 5/5
Destruction - All Perks
Restoration - Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Regeneration, Recovery 2/2
One Handed - Armsman 5/5, Fighting Stance
Enchanting - Enchanter 5/5, Insightful, Corpus, Extra Effect
Smithing - Steel, Elven, Advanced, Glass, Dragon, Arcane

=50 perks

Thoughts (scary thought lol):

Light Armor - I chose Light Armor for mobility mainly.

Destruction - Max Destruction for the AOE Master fire spell and maximum damage without a ridiculous Magicka cost. (Strongest Fire spell with sword Hotkeyed for #1)

Restoration - I mainly chose this for those tough fights, being able to cast Expert healing spells when needed is a great advantage and allows me to outlast my opponents. Not to mention the 50% Magicka regen from Recovery. (Strongest Heal with sword Hotkeyed for #2)

One Handed - Obvious reasons. Fighting Stance to give a break to my Stamina when I stagger opponents.

Enchanting - My main focus was getting Extra Effect so I can add not only Magicka Regen enchants, but bonuses to my One Handed/ Fortify Light Armor as well.

Smithing - Wanted the added bonuses of enhancing my own gear. Both defensive and offensive. Also wanted to be able to make my own Dragonscale.

Assassin (My Version)

Race: Wood Elf

Skills & Perks:

Light Armor - Agile Defender 5/5 ,Custom Fit, Unhindered, Wind Walker
Archery - All Perks except Bull's-eye
Sneak - All Perks
One Handed - Armsman 5/5
Illusion - Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Animage, Kindred Mage, Quiet Casting, Master of the Mind
Smithing - Steel, Arcane

=50 perks

Thoughts:

Light Armor - I chose Light Armor for mobility and stamina regen mainly. (Not to mention most Sneaky sets are light armor.)

Archery - Wanted a Archery focused Assassin.

Sneak - Wanted Shadow Warrior (amazing perk).

One Handed - Obvious reasons.

Illusion - Wanted Calm and Fear as well as Invisibility to add in with Shadow Warrior = Unstoppable. Spells in offhand with Blade of Woe in right. Got Master of Mind because there's a TON of undead in this game and needed to be able to use my spells on em ;).

Smithing - Wanted the added bonuses of enhancing my own gear. Both defensive and offensive. With all the Armor choices for stealth characters there wasn't really a need to make my own. Just needed to be able to enhance it (hence only taking Steel and Arcane.)

Sorry so long but figured i'd actually put the WHOLE builds on there for anyone that is actually looking for one ;).

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
Good thread and posts guys! My first character is a jack-of-all-trades as far as skill levels go, and perks have kind of ebbed and flowed as I've leveled my character.. I want it all, but at the same time the further I go in certain perk trees the more I realized I only wanted specific perks and going 100% in to a tree wasn't necessary. My skills/perks and link to my build are in my sig. :)

SeaDog

Thanks Titanburner. Great idea, breaking down your perk points too. Gonna add the Spellsword to my list. Keep it going people!

Valvor

The most powerful characters, that you can build are Pures... simply because training anything you don't put perks into only makes you weaker in comparison to the npcs, and i play on masters, and if i diden't id feel as if im cheating my experience.

Orc duel wielder, because think about it that Double damage, and take half damage is just...wow? possibly the best racial power...think about it once you get stronger and you can use that for 60 seconds...imagine...then we got swords which give crit bonuses + Duel flurry = Speed... how could you argue with that? i am currently only level 8....and i have 54 one handed and like 25 heavy armor those are the only 2 stats i have raised.

Master difficulty, or no difficulty, it does not count...changing the difficulty after ur in for a few hours...either u start off on masters or u just restart period..defeats the purpose, and if you seriously have to lower the difficulty at times to kill specific npcs then that plops is just pointless if ur going to do that just keep it down lower...no point in going back u just ruined ur legit masters char.

SeaDog

So, to summarize Valvor's build then:

Orc - Character
1. One Handed
2. Heavy Armor
3. None
4. None
5. None

Difficulty doesn't matter. At least not in this thread. This thread is about character builds, thanks.

Titanburner

Premium Member
The most powerful characters, that you can build are Pures... simply because training anything you don't put perks into only makes you weaker in comparison to the npcs, and i play on masters, and if i diden't id feel as if im cheating my experience.

Orc duel wielder, because think about it that Double damage, and take half damage is just...wow? possibly the best racial power...think about it once you get stronger and you can use that for 60 seconds...imagine...then we got swords which give crit bonuses + Duel flurry = Speed... how could you argue with that? i am currently only level 8....and i have 54 one handed and like 25 heavy armor those are the only 2 stats i have raised.

Master difficulty, or no difficulty, it does not count...changing the difficulty after ur in for a few hours...either u start off on masters or u just restart period..defeats the purpose, and if you seriously have to lower the difficulty at times to kill specific npcs then that pl*** is just pointless if ur going to do that just keep it down lower...no point in going back u just ruined ur legit masters char.

This isn't really a build... Not sure that you can speak on the "best" thing being only level 8 as well... Something tells me you're going to be feeling some pain on "Master" with only Heavy Armor as your defense..and a "Pure" character like you're speaking of is probably one of the hardest ways to go about it and by the time you figure that out you'll be spamming points into random stuff just to stay alive.

I however do agree that the Orc racial is awesome, but relying on it for defense is just a bad idea to say it in a nice way. While it may help you with that first Drauger Wright and Restless ,the Deathlord waiting around the corner is going to eat your lunch.

brandon

dark elf lvl 40 i call him a delta force commando.
light armor dragonscale legendary enchanted +10 armor chest, + 15 lbs carry weight boots, +30% stamina regen helm, + 8 armor necklace.for an armor rating of 441 and carry weight just under 400.
one handed-3/5 armsman, dual weapons 2/2, fighting stance,each of the swords axes and maces perks are full if you can put more then 1 point to it. the other perk above dual weapons i think critical chance and i might be missing one.
archery- the right side of the tree to ranger is full with 3/5 on the first perk. i didnt like the zoom ability on another character. i kept missing the target.
light armor-agile defender 3/5, custom fit, unhinderd, matching set all light armor, and matching set same armor
sneak- cant remember but my sneak is at 90 and a few perks
lockpick- is at 45 but no perks
alchemy-2/5 on the first, and 2 perks for the healing side. trying to get to make all my healing potions without negative effects.
enchantments- currently working on improving need to level up to add perks.
smithing- all light armor of course with arcane arts i think its called. and up to orcish on heavy side.trying to be able to make my own deadric weapons.
so thats my guy he was using two handed weapons at first so he has a few perks there but his weapons right now are a legendary glass bow for 86 dam, a legendary glass war axe and mace for 88 dam combined.

im currently working on an argonian tank. full heavy armor and one handed weapons. just to see what deadric armor looks like. sorry but i thought the dragonbone looked dumb. but dgragonscale looks freakin sweet on male and female.

SeaDog

Summarizing Brandon's build then:

Dunmer - Assassin
1. Archery
2. Light Armor
3. Sneak
4. Lockpick
5. Alchemy

And Argonian is an interesting choice for a straight up warrior. But that's what makes Skyrim great. Anyone can be anything, regardless of perks/drawbacks.

jenrai

I've played three characters...

Orc-Dual weilding warrior

1.Speech
2.Smithing
3.Enchanting
4.Alchemy
5.One Handed

Nord-Full dual casting mage

1.Destruction
2.Conjuration
3.Smithing
4.Alchemy
5.Enchanting
6.Speech
7.Illusion

Third-working on it

Kaljeet(or however its prenounced)-Archery theif

1.Archery
2.Smithing
3.Enchanting
4.Alchemy
5.Light armor
6.Sneak
7.Lockpicking
8.Pickpocket

Deadhand

In a pure skill and perk version of my build, it would be

Archery (16)
Sneak (13)
Enchanting (12)
Heavy Armor (12)
Smithing (10)
One-Handed (4)
Speech (3)
Pickpocketing (3)
Lockpicking (2)

Although the two points in lockpicking were before I really got farther in to the game, and I would take them back if I could. One-Handed is getting my last 5 points. If there is any questions as to why I chose the perks that I did (again, the build link is in the sig, where you can look at the specific perks I took) ask and I shall answer.

Valvor

This isn't really a build... Not sure that you can speak on the "best" thing being only level 8 as well... Something tells me you're going to be feeling some pain on "Master" with only Heavy Armor as your defense..and a "Pure" character like you're speaking of is probably one of the hardest ways to go about it and by the time you figure that out you'll be spamming points into random stuff just to stay alive.

I however do agree that the Orc racial is awesome, but relying on it for defense is just a bad idea to say it in a nice way. While it may help you with that first Drauger Wright and Restless ,the Deathlord waiting around the corner is going to eat your lunch.

Im having no issue staying alive, my point is that since the Npcs level up as you do, by training purely into one handed it will let you get much stronger, while you slowly level up, meaning npcs stay weaker you get stronger...simple concept...and with heavy armor no i have no issues i just buy potions i need. And i have had many different alts so i can speak from knowledge here... staying alive is not a issue if you are staying ahead.

Titanburner

Premium Member
In a pure skill and perk version of my build, it would be

Archery (16)
Sneak (13)
Enchanting (12)
Heavy Armor (12)
Smithing (10)
One-Handed (4)
Speech (3)
Pickpocketing (3)
Lockpicking (2)

Although the two points in lockpicking were before I really got farther in to the game, and I would take them back if I could. One-Handed is getting my last 5 points. If there is any questions as to why I chose the perks that I did (again, the build link is in the sig, where you can look at the specific perks I took) ask and I shall answer.

Why exactly did you go with Heavy Armor for a sneaking build? (Not criticizing just extremely interested in doing the same because of Ebony Mail; which i've noticed you've stated in the past that you use it.) Also does it hurt not having the +50% Stamina regen rate for your Archery? And what about the bonuses from the sets (DB, Thieves, Nightingale, etc.)?

Deadhand

Why exactly did you go with Heavy Armor for a sneaking build? (Not criticizing just extremely interested in doing the same because of Ebony Mail; which i've noticed you've stated in the past that you use it.) Also does it hurt not having the +50% Stamina regen rate for your Archery? And what about the bonuses from the sets (DB, Thieves, Nightingale, etc.)?
Honestly, originally because I wanted the character to be unique. As it turns out everyone is a sneaking, ranged, heavy armor wearing character. Haha. Not here, but apparently these are all the "overpowered" skills people are exploiting. I did it to be different, and because between the sneak perks reducing armor clank, the muffle enchant, and the HA weight reductions, it really doesn't make a difference if you are in LA or HA, no one hears me. :)

brandon

Summarizing Brandon's build then:

Dunmer - Assassin
1. Archery
2. Light Armor
3. Sneak
4. Lockpick
5. Alchemy

And Argonian is an interesting choice for a straight up warrior. But that's what makes Skyrim great. Anyone can be anything, regardless of perks/drawbacks.
grr not everything has to be considerd an assassin just because his sneaks that high doesnt mean i kill from the shadows. think of it as more for reconnaissance. learn what your up against before rushing in and finding yourself in trouble.

Titanburner

Premium Member
Honestly, originally because I wanted the character to be unique. As it turns out everyone is a sneaking, ranged, heavy armor wearing character. Haha. Not here, but apparently these are all the "overpowered" skills people are exploiting. I did it to be different, and because between the sneak perks reducing armor clank, the muffle enchant, and the HA weight reductions, it really doesn't make a difference if you are in LA or HA, no one hears me. :)

Do you mix and match though for bonuses? Like Nightingale hood with the Ebony armor for example? (Feel free to PM me on this, didn't mean to hijack your thread SeaDog). I think if you arn't heard with HA then it is the clear superior choice, What type of enchants are you using on your armor and what is your armor layout like? Also how is your Stamina when using Archery? Do you consistently run out of stamina or do you have plenty? (Would probably matter on how you open with your attack and how much you focus on Archery during the fight)

SeaDog

No worries, mate. I just like learning what other people are doing/thinking/playing.

Two heads are better than one. And many heads are better than two.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts