18+ The Story of the Last Dragonborn

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
The writer had organised a meeting days before; making sure I was ready for his interview. He wanted a conversation with the famed Lyanna Lightblade, the Last Dragonborn and The Bane of the World-Eater. I figured that history had to be told, even if that history was only seven years ago, so I accepted. He was supposed to be there in the next few minutes.​
Sure enough, I heard a knock at the wooden door through the corridor, not ninety seconds after my earlier thoughts. I climbed from my chair, giving Hadvar, my beloved, a quick smile before I opened the door. Hadvar smiled back and took our three-year-old child, Alvor, out of the room, to give me and the writer some privacy.​
I opened the door. The writer turned to face me, and smiled, greeting me jovially.​
"Ah! The fabled Lightblade! It is an honour to meet you, my lady. Allow me to introduce myself; Falco Orius, at your service."
I allowed him to kiss my hand. He was clearly a stereotypical bard-type, but he seemed friendly enough.
"The honour is mine. Please, call me Lyanna. I'm not a lady, and Lightblade is my surname."
"Of course, my- ah, Lyanna. Are you ready for the interview?"
"Yes, I am. Come through, there's a chair through in the living room you can take. Would you like a drink? Ale, wine, mead?"
He smiled widely, walking through the doorway and saying, "Ah, a horn of ale would help relax us both, I believe."
I nodded, and went through to the kitchen, pouring two horns of ale and going back to Orius. I set one down in a holder next to his chair, and sat opposite him with my horn in its own holder. Orius sat forward while I lounged back in my chair.
"Now, Lyanna. Where would you like to start? At the beginning, of course, but where the beginning comes is up to you."
"Let's start with Helgen."
"Of course. Okay, lets get going. Now, if you could tell me about that first day; escaping Helgen and fleeing to Riverwood. Could you tell me what was going through your head as that day passed?"
I phased out of reality for a few seconds, thinking of that day. The 17th of Last Seed, 4E 201. Then I snapped back into focus and replied.
"Yes, I believe I can. Would you rather me tell it in small parts so you can ask questions, or tell it all at once?"
"I would prefer for you to tell it all at once. I will listen, and scribe your words here. Now, tell me. What happened on that day?"

EpicVakarian

-17th of Last Seed, 4E 201-
I had been asleep for most of the days before then. Being an Imperial prisoner carted around Skyrim isn't the most interesting experience. But when I woke up that day, something was different. The Stormcloak across from me started talking. I didn't really listen; I hated the Stormcloaks and didn't want to hear what they had to say. I kept silent through the journey, trying to gauge our whereabouts. It was snowy, but there were tall trees around us and fairly steep ground. I took a guess at Falkreath, and that guess was confirmed when we came up on Helgen.

Tullius turned right after going through the gate, talking to the Thalmor ambassador Elenwen and two of her guards. I looked away, gritting my teeth, as we turned left. The Stormcloak kept talking, and I kept ignoring him. I knew what was coming. I would be executed along with these traitors, condemned by the Empire for helping them. Sure enough, we stopped right next to an open courtyard. In the centre was a wooden block, about a foot tall, with a bulky man stood by it in a leather mask, wielding a large battleaxe. I sighed, and climbed off the cart right behind Ulfric Stormcloak himself. I resisted the urge to kick him down; I knew the other Stormcloak was right behind me and would do the same to me.

The Legionnaire started to call our names. Ulfric Stormcloak, Jarl of Windhelm. Ralof of Riverwood. Lokir of Rorikstead. At the last name, the thief cried out in fear and sprinted off. He was instantly shot down and killed, and the soldiers turned back to the rest of us. The rest of the Stormcloaks were called up, and I was left.

"Wait. You, come here. Who are you?" The lower-ranking Legionnaire called me up like a piece of meat. I gritted my teeth.
"Lyanna Lightblade. I'm an Imperial supporter, and you're executing me for it. So at least get my name right before you do so."

The Legionnaire ignored my remark, and murmured something to the officer next to him.
"Forget the list. She goes to the block." I gave a sarcastic nod and a partial bow to the officer, then walked to take my place in the line-up. While Tullius was shouting at Ulfric, some loud, booming noise echoed throughout the village. We all looked up, searching for thunderclouds or anything of the sort. Nothing. Tullius shrugged it off and began the executions. A priest began spouting her preachings about Aetherius and such, but the Stormcloak next to me stopped it abruptly when he stepped forward and put his head on the block. The priest took the hint, and stopped talking, while the executioner raised the axe and brought it down with a thunk, slicing through the traitor's neck and embedding itself in the wood block. The head rolled into the basket and the body was moved to the side, while the headsman pulled his axe out of the block.

"Next. The Nord, there. In the rags."

I took one step forward before that booming noise echoed about again.
"What was that?" Hadvar asked, to no-one in particular.
"I said, next prisoner." The officer gritted her teeth.
"You heard her. To the block, prisoner. Nice and easy."
I laid my head down on the block, looking away from the traitors and toward the headsman, who raised his axe again, ready to take my head.

But before he got the chance, some black beast appeared from behind the mountain, winged and evil. My eyes widened as it roared.
"What in Oblivion is that?" Tullius yelled, pointing at the thing.
"Dragon!" Five people yelled the word simultaneously, with fear emanating through their voices. The creature landed on the tower, and roared again. But some essence was thrown out with the sound. It hit the ground with an enormous bang, and immediately there was meteors falling from the sky, and thunderclaps booming all over the place. The executioner fell, and was crushed by a meteor that barely missed me. In the chaos, I rolled off the block and huddled in the ground until a voice echoed faintly through my head.

"Hey, kinsman! Get up! Follow me!" It was the Stormcloak from before, Ralof. I scowled, but realised I had no other choice and followed him into a tower with Ulfric and three other Stormcloaks, two of which were severely wounded. "Jarl Ulfric, what is that thing?"
"I don't know. But whatever it is, we have to get out before it tears Helgen to the ground." Ulfric sounded calm and collected, but his eyes betrayed him. He was just as terrified as the other Stormcloaks were, as was I. Ralof nodded.
"Up through the tower, let's go." He led me up the stairs. A rebel was at the top, and started to shout something about moving rocks, before the dragon's head burst through the wall, sending stone flying and crushing the rebel. The dragon poured fire into the tower with a loud roar, then flew off. Ralof and I moved forward to the hole in the side of the tower to see the inn on the other side, torn apart with half its roof missing. "See that inn? Jump through and keep going. We'll follow when we can!" I nodded, and immediately pushed off. I fell through the thatched roof onto the wooden floor, which was mercifully intact. I felt a shock in my ankles, but no broken bones. I dropped down to the ground, my hands still bound, and ran towards a group of people.

The Imperial from earlier was sending a child away, before the dragon landed again and killed the man that was laid down, injured. The Legionnaire yelled out, and retreated back to where the child and an old man were crouched. He noticed me, and I noticed him. I thought he was handsome, but I didn't realise he'd later be my husband.
"Still alive, prisoner? Keep close to me if you want to stay that way. Gunnar, take care of the boy. I have to find General Tullius and join the defence." As I followed the man through the wreckage, Gunnar yelled after us;
"Gods guide you, Hadvar."

We vaulted over a large mess of wooden bars, toward a large stone wall and a burnt house.
"Keep close to the wall!" Hadvar yelled, his sword drawn and his knees bent slightly. I did as he said, running behind him until the dragon landed yet again, its wing crashing into the ground right in front of me. It hadn't noticed me or Hadvar yet, luckily. It breathed fire again, killing more Legionnaires, and then took off again. Hadvar led me past the smoking corpses, through to the main gate of Helgen, where Tullius was stood with several Imperial archers and mages.
"Hadvar! Into the keep, soldier, we're leaving!" Hadvar didn't look happy, but he followed his orders.
"It's you and me, prisoner. Stay close!" He led me through the mass of Legionnaires, through an archway and towards a large wooden door. But before we could enter, Ralof crossed our path, apparently by accident.

"Ralof! You damned traitor. Out of my way!"
"We're escaping, Hadvar," said Ralof loudly, looking at me. "You're not stopping us this time."
"Fine, I hope that dragon takes you all to Sovngarde. Come on, prisoner!"I nodded, and followed him as he sprinted away. Ralof yelled something back at me, calling for me to follow him instead. But the day I followed a traitor was the day I died. I kept following Hadvar, and rushed into the keep. Hadvar shut the door behind us, muffling the yells and roars.

"Looks like we're the only ones who made it." Hadvar put his hands on his knees, catching his breath, I simply stood there in shock. "Was that really a dragon?"
"Looks like it." I was very quiet, and my hands were still bound. Hadvar noticed and relaxed a little.
"We should keep moving. Come here, let me get those bindings off." I nodded and walked towards him. He drew a dagger, and cut the rope, letting my hands free. I smiled up at him, making him falter. I looked back down, rubbing my wrists while I contemplated him. I appeared to have found an admirer.

"Thank you, Hadvar. Is my gear in here?"
"Uh, should be. Over there. Make sure you're familiar with yourself. I'm going to find a way to open this gate so we can get out." I nodded, and followed his finger to a chest in the corner. I opened it, and inside was indeed my gear. My beautiful black undershirt, my overshirt and my jacket. My skirt, my belt, my thighboots. And my cloak, my beautiful cloak that appeared to be flaking off rose petals from the very fabric. It was a simple enchantment, but very, very beautiful. While Hadvar turned away, I donned all of the clothes, then pulled my sword out of the bottom of the chest, strapping the scabbard to my tiny waist. I drew Sol, making sure it hadn't dulled and the enchantment was still effective. It still glowed, and cut my finger when I ran it along the blade. I murmured a word and healed the cut instantly, then sheathed the weapon, smiling at Hadvar as he turned around.

His mouth dropped. He looked down at me, looking at all of me. My armoured thighboots, the skin that showed above them, the skirt that covered my unmentionables, my thin waist, my large breasts, and my reasonably muscled arms. He stared at me, especially at the cleavage that showed due to the low-cut nature of the undershirt. I grinned, then twirled for him. The non-existent yet very noticeable rose petals fluttered off the fabric of my cloak and floated around me for a second before disappearing.

I took the opportunity to look down at him. He was toned, very strong, and very large. And when I looked further down, I saw a bulge in his much longer, uniform skirt. I knew what it was, and I knew what it meant. But he looked, more than anything, at my face. At my large green eyes, my round lips and my long, dark hair, that was accentuated by the black and red of my outfit. I had a feeling the rose petals weren't the only things falling for me.

EpicVakarian

"Come on, Hadvar. We need to move." I spoke gently. Hadvar nodded and resumed searching for a way through the gate. I murmured a few more words, shrouding both myself and Hadvar in magical protection. It would deflect blows, if we couldn't do so ourselves. It wouldn't last long, but enough to keep us alive.

Suddenly, the gate raised into the ceiling. Hadvar gave an exclamation of satisfaction, and gestured through. I smiled at him, and walked past him, through the archway and into a short corridor. We came through into another room with another gate, but this time the lever to open it was placed right beside it. Just before Hadvar reached for it, I grabbed his hand, stopping him pulling it. He looked down at me questioningly.

"Stormcloaks," I whispered, jerking my head towards the room on the other side of the gate.
"Maybe we can reason with them?"
"Maybe." I released his hand, and he opened the gate. We walked through, our hands in the air as the Stormcloaks raised their axes to greet us. "We don't want any trouble. We want to get out of here just as much as you do."

"Imperial dogs!" One of the Stormcloaks yelled out the phrase just before lurching forward and swinging his enormous battleaxe. I dodged nimbly away from the blow and drew Sol. Hadvar drew his standard-issue sword and attacked, and I swung at the female Stormcloak that was behind the one with the battleaxe. She had a sword, and we were more evenly matched. I struck swiftly and immediately, wounding her leg before she could raise her sword. She cried out and lunged for me. I deflected the blow easily and locked blades with her. Looking back, I saw Hadvar struggling to deal with the big man, so I raised my left hand and cast a powerful yet simple restoration spell. Light burst from my hand, temporarily blinding the woman and allowing me to swing around and embed Sol into the man's spine. He dropped like a ragdoll, dead instantly. I span quickly and let a bolt of lightning spark from my fingers to the blinded woman's heart, making her spasm slightly before she dropped just like her companion had. I breathed heavily as I grinned at Hadvar. He faltered again, but recovered quickly and grinned back.

"Thank you, Ly.... Lyara?" I laughed.
"Lyanna. You're welcome, Hadvar." Hadvar inclined his head slightly in thanks, then withdrew a key from his pockets and opened another door, and led me down a flight of stairs. It seemed strange to me that we were going down; we wanted to get out, not further in. But I supposed that the dragon couldn't get us here.

Or so I thought, until we came to a landing and a whole section of the roof collapsed in front of us.
"Doesn't give up easy, does he?"
"He certainly doesn't. At least there's still this door." I opened the door; it was the only remaining option. There was two Stormcloaks, arguing loudly about whether to get out or search for supplies. I didn't take any chances; I yelled as I charged, and decapitated the taller one in my first swipe. But that put me off-balance, and the other one was standing over me with his axe raised, and my eyes widened, waiting for the blow to come. But it didn't; Hadvar's sword struck first, stabbing through the rebel's chest and helping me up quickly. I hugged him tightly, with no words. Then I let him go, and searched quickly for anything I could use while Hadvar recovered from the shock I'd just given him.

Eventually, we left the storeroom, and went down another set of stairs to a chamber where a small battle was already going on.
"The torture chamber. Gods, I wish we didn't need these." I grimaced, and ran to help the torturers. Two more Stormcloaks; just as easily dispatched as the others.

"Glad you got here in time. These boys didn't seem too impressed with how I've been treating their friends." The head torturer's voice was a sickening, droning, arrogant voice that showed no fear.
"Don't you know what's happening?" Hadvar said.
"You know, the dragon attacking the town above you?"
"Dragon, pssh. The last day I feared myths, I was twelve."

I was irritated by this arrogant man's manner, and I let it show.
"This isn't a myth. A dragon is attacking Helgen; what do you think that shudder was earlier? Just a convenient earthquake?" The torturer didn't take any heed to my words, but his assistant did.
"Forget the old man; I'll come with you." Finally, someone with sense. The torturer ignored his assistant, and simply sneered at us as we sprinted down a rocky cave-like corridor towards what Hadvar said was an exit.

There were more Stormcloaks. We were in some sort of underground river, with Imperial stone walls surrounding and bridging the water. It was dank, dark and smelled of dead things. I wrinkled my nose up and attacked. The torturer's assistant took out two rebels with his daggers, and Hadvar took three. I found a particularly strong match in a six-foot man no older than thirty. He managed to block every blow I threw at him, and we fought for at least three minutes before enough was enough. I performed a particularly complex move with Sol in my right hand, while my left hand summoned flames and cast it into his belly. The man doubled over, trying to scream but winded, and I lopped his head off with one stroke. I brushed my hair out of my eyes and sheathed Sol. The only way out was a cave that was so covered in cobwebs that it was obvious no-one had gone down there recently, and Hadvar said that was the exit he remembered.

The assistant wished us luck, and went back. He'd had a change of heart; he was going to try and convince the old man to come with them and live. We wished him luck in return, and Hadvar slashed through the cobwebs to let us through the cave. He quickly found a lever and dropped a drawbridge into a full-on cave; with the river flowing through it, the mushrooms growing in the dank corners and the muddy ground. And no sooner had we crossed the bridge than another rockfall caused the bridge to snap behind us, leaving us no way out. We were forced to go through the cave.
"No way back that way."

Hadvar vaulted over the handhold, dropping to the ground and walking along the flow of the river. I followed him, using the water to clean off my boots. We followed the cave for a long time; fighting off frostbite spiders at one point, sneaking past a bear the next. By the time we emerged into the fresh air, I was quite glad to be rid of the cave.

But before we could even relax, Hadvar ushered me down and looked up. The dragon was circling overhead, apparently searching for any survivors. It didn't see us, thank the gods, and it flew off, roaring as it went. I sighed with relief, then stood up again, stretching my back to get rid of my cramps. Hadvar looked to me and smiled, then began to speak.

"Looks like he's gone for good this time. My uncle Alvor is the blacksmith just down the road in Riverwood. Come on, he'll help us out."
"Riverwood? Isn't that a mill town?"
"Yes, it's where I was born. It's a lovely little place."
"Well then, let's get going." I gave Hadvar a smile and kissed his cheek. He blushed slightly, then smiled back awkwardly. Then he began to walk north. I followed him closely, making sure to stick with him.

After about five minutes' walk, Hadvar stopped and pointed up at an old Nordic tomb.
"Bleak Falls Barrow. I used to have nightmares about that place. Draugr climbing down the mountain to kill me at night, that sort of thing. I admit, I still don't much like the look of it."
"Those ruins always creep me out. I don't blame you." He smiled and set off again. Less than five minutes later, he stopped again, pointing me towards some old standing stones.
"These are the Guardian Stones. Three of thirteen. See for yourself." I did so; I looked at all three. The far left one held a carving of a cloaked and masked man wielding daggers. The middle was a man in robes wielding a staff. The far right had an armoured man with a battleaxe. Although I didn't use a battleaxe, I most certainly wasn't a thief or a wizard. I stroked the stone slightly, and a strange blue light burst from the top of it, reaching up to the heavens and making me feel suddenly more adept in my abilities.
"Warrior. I knew you shouldn't have been in that cart." I smiled at Hadvar and we set off again, stopping only to defend ourselves from an aggressive pack of wolves.

I could see Riverwood just over the hill.
"Listen, as far as I'm concerned, you've already earned your pardon. But until we get General Tullius to confirm that, you should probably stay clear of any Imperials."
"I'll keep that in mind."
"And when we're in Riverwood, just follow what I do. Don't draw attention to yourself." I nodded.

We entered Riverwood by around two in the afternoon. Hadvar led me to the smithy and called up to his uncle.

"Hadvar! Gods boy, you look like you lost a fight with a cave bear. Aren't you supposed to be with-"
"Shhh! Uncle, I will tell you everything inside. Lyanna is a friend; she helped me escape."
"Of course, nephew. Come on inside, I'll get you both some food."

We entered Alvor's house, and Alvor called his wife, Sigrid, up to bring us some food.
"Now, tell me. What exactly happened to you two?"

I tuned out; I didn't want to hear the story again. It had been horrible enough the first time, so I simply ate and ate and ate while Hadvar explained everything to Alvor. By the time he finished, I was completely full and laid back in the chair. Then Alvor spoke to me instead of Hadvar.
"You're welcome to stay here as long as you like, and take what you like, within reason of course. But I ask this of you; the Jarl needs to know about this. Could you go to Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun and call for help? If Riverwood's attacked as well, we stand no chance."
"I thank you for your hospitality. I can go to Whiterun for you, but why not Falkreath? Riverwood is part of Falkreath Hold, isn't it?"

Alvor blanched.
"Aye, it is. But Siddgeir has a reputation for doing nothing but drinking and whoring. I can vouch for it myself. Balgruuf is a reliable man, honorable and true. He will help us, Jarl Siddgeir will not." I nodded.

Before I left, I decided to pack some food and drink for the journey. I might even decide to go on an adventure after returning to Riverwood, so I would need as much as I could get. My bags were full, and I laid down on a bed to rest my legs for a moment. I felt myself slowly drifting off, fully clothed. I didn't fight it, I simply fell asleep, ready to be perfectly able again once I woke up in the morning to go to Whiterun.

EpicVakarian

18th of Last Seed, 4E 201
I slept in late; the sun was high in the sky before I left Alvor's house to go to Whiterun. I had promised Hadvar I would see him again, and given him a kiss on the cheek in parting. And now, about halfway along the road, I was already missing him.
Why am I missing him? I barely know him.

I pushed the thought out of my head, concentrating on remembering the message Alvor had asked me to deliver to the Jarl; to send troops to Riverwood and defend it against the threat of dragons. I had a feeling I would have to convince Balgruuf to do so; with the war on, it would be difficult for a neutral side to send troops to Falkreath, an Imperial-controlled hold, without arousing suspicion. But I hoped Balgruuf would see past this; Siddgeir, from the sound of it, was too incompetent to act against Balgruuf in return.

As I followed the winding path down the mountain, I came across a squad of Legionnaires escorting a Stormcloak prisoner. Or at least, I presumed he was a Stormcloak because of the axe that was being carried gingerly by the leader. I skirted around them; as Hadvar had said; I was still wanted by the Empire. Until I went to Solitude and found Tullius, I would have to do this.

I passed the group without trouble, and found the main road, approaching Whiterun from the east. I passed the Honningbrew Meadery, and the Pelagia farm. But something was off; I heard fighting, and roaring. And before I could think, a huge thud emanated from the farm. I ran towards the fields to see a group of warriors, presumably the Companions, tearing away at a giant that was trampling the crops and using its club to destroy the land. I gritted my teeth and sprinted towards the fight, throwing a fireball at the giant to attract its attention. Its thin strands of hair caught, and burnt down to the scalp. The creature roared again, and ran clumsily over to me, bringing its club down. I backflipped away elegantly, and cast another fireball at the giant's chest while the Companions peppered it with arrows.

"Come on!" I yelled at the giant, hacking at its leg with Sol. It shouted out again, and used its hand to bat me away. I flew through the air for a few moments, then I cast a spell to flip me around so I landed on my feet. I slid backward for a few feet, but stabbed Sol into the ground to bring me to a stop. Then I yelled out and shouted a word, igniting Sol with a coating of pure white fire. Then I sprinted forwards, gripping the hilt with both hands, then I cast a spell to catapult me upwards, and sliced off the giant's head in one quick move, landing behind it and embedding Sol into the ground again, kneeling to gather my strength again before I stood up. While I did so, I heard a small thud and then a huge crash as the giant fell. I gasped. I'd used a lot of magical strength; if I'd used another spell like that, I'd have been unconscious.

I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I jerked my head upwards to see a woman looking down at me. She had shoulder-length auburn hair, pale skin, and she was very muscled. Even so, she was beautiful, and the outfit she was wearing probably attracted more attention; it bared both cleavage and legs, and left her back open. She looked very capable.
"That was incredible," she said simply. I chuckled, looking downwards again and brushing my hair out of my eyes.
"Incredible effort, too..." I breathed heavily and looked back up at her. She was grinning.
"I don't doubt it. You'd make a good shield-sister."
I ignored her. I knew what the Companions were, why they always smelled so musty. After my experiences with the Vigil, I had no desire to be turned into a werewolf.

I stood up, swaying slightly. I thanked the woman, and limped towards Whiterun. I hadn't noticed at the time, but the giant had managed to damage my left leg quite badly. Under normal circumstances, I would heal it immediately. But after that level of exertion, I didn't dare. I just limped over the drawbridge and walked towards the main gate. A guard walked forward to meet me.
"Halt. City's closed. Can't take any risks with dragons about."

I looked at him incredulously.
"Do I look like a dragon? I hadn't noticed." I spoke calmly but my voice was enormously sarcastic.
"You know what I mean. Why do you want to get in?"
"Riverwood calls for the Jarl's aid."

This appeared to shock the guard.
"Riverwood's in danger too?" I rolled my eyes. "Go in. The Jarl's in Dragonsreach, at the top of the hill."
I inclined my head to the guard and walked past it. The hair on the back of my neck was raised; I knew the guards were both transfixed as I walked past them; at two things. They were obviously staring at my cloak. The rose petals never failed to impress. But I could sense an urge in them. They were looking at my rear, swaying before them, and the urge was to see what they couldn't. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. No common guard would have me. At the minute, Hadvar was the only person in my life that I'd felt any sort of romantic attraction to. And he was clearly smitten; if I made an advance on him, he'd likely faint.

Before long, I was in Dragonsreach. I climbed the stairs, and as soon as the Jarl's Dunmer housecarl saw me, she drew her sword and advanced on me.
Does everyone in this place have to be so hostile?
I raised my hands.
"The Jarl is receiving no visitors. Explain yourself."

I immediately felt a dislike toward the elf.
"I have a message for the Jarl."
The elf noticed my condescending tone and gritted her teeth.
"Anything you have to say to the Jarl, you can say to me."
"I was told to give the message directly to the Jarl." I narrowed my eyes at the Dunmer, letting her see my annoyance.
"I'm beginning to think-"

"It's alright, Irileth. I want to hear what she has to say." Balgruuf interrupted the housecarl, and beckoned to me. I inclined my head sarcastically to Irileth as I walked past her.

I could tell Balgruuf was eyeing me in the same way the guards had been, but he at least had the dignity to only glance down for a second before looking back up at my face. And his steward couldn't contain himself; he simply stared at my midriff - at my miniscule waist, my tight skirt and my bare thighs. I gave him a look, and he fled. The Jarl seemed to find that funny; he smiled at me as I stopped before him.

"Now. What is this message you have for me?"
"A dragon destroyed Helgen. Alvor's afraid Riverwood's next."
"Alvor? The smith, isn't he?" I nodded. "A solid, reliable man. Not prone to flights of fancy. ...And you're sure it was a dragon? It wasn't just some Stormcloak raid gone wrong?"
"I was there. That dragon burned Helgen to the ground."
"By Ysmir, Irileth was right."

I sighed slightly. I tuned out as the Jarl and his housecarl debated sending troops, for the very reason I'd predicted. I looked around the great hall, seeing many men staring at both my cloak and my body. I put a hand on Sol's pommel, and gave each one a meaningful look, which made them jerk their eyes away immediately. Eventually, the Jarl came to a decision.

"Irileth, send a detachment to Riverwood at once." Irileth nodded, and Balgruuf turned to me. "Well done. You sought me out, on your own initiative." This wasn't strictly true, but I didn't call him out. "Now, come with me. I believe Farengar could make use of you." I raised my eyebrows, hoping he didn't mean what I thought he meant.

Thankfully, he didn't. Farengar wanted me to go into Bleak Falls Barrow and retrieve some 'dragonstone' for him. Not a particularly pleasant job, but better than what I was expecting. The Jarl gave me a purse of gold for my troubles, then sent me off on my way to Bleak Falls Barrow.

EpicVakarian

"Let me stop you there, Lyanna, I have a few questions."

Falco Orius' voice jerked me out of my flashback. I had been telling the story so vividly that I had felt as though I was there.
"Of course. What would you like to know?"
"Thank you. First off; Helgen. There were no survivors except you, Hadvar, Tullius and Ulfric?"

This question surprised me. I didn't know the answer to that one. At least, I wasn't sure.
"As far as I've ever known. That dragon caused a lot of chaos and confusion."
"Of course," Orius said, nodding politely. "Forgive me, but it seems very, ah... convenient that you four should be the only survivors."
I tried to figure out what he was implying.
"Are you calling me a liar, ser?"
"No, not at all!" Orius held his hands up, genuinely looking apologetic. "I merely meant... The gods must have smiled on you, to spare only you."
"They spared Ulfric as well. What god would save both leaders, would make sure the war continued?"

Orius opened his mouth, then closed it and smiled at me.
"I see the rumours of your wisdom are not unfounded." I inclined my head in thanks. "Now, second question. Irileth; this is the Irileth that saved Whiterun from the dragon Mirmulnir?"
"With a little help from me," I said, grinning. "She's not the most polite person I've ever met."
Orius nodded absent-mindedly while jotting some notes down on his pad.

"Lastly, this, ah, dragonstone. What exactly was it and why did the wizard, this Farengar, want it?"
I rolled my eyes slightly. This man was a bard, truly. But did he have a cow's brain? He must surely know that I was saving that information to make a better story.
"Ah, that'll all be revealed in due course." I tapped the side of my nose and winked. Orius gave a wide grin and nodded, gesturing for me to continue. I sank back into my trance-like state, and continued telling my story.

EpicVakarian

The path up to Bleak Falls Barrow was a difficult one. There was a troll, that took me by surprise. I barely managed to tear into it with Sol before it tore into me with its claws. And just slightly further up, there was a derelict tower, where three bandits had made their residence. I simply climbed a small hill to avoid them, and sheathed Sol before they could notice its light.
The barrow itself was inhabited by more rogues, with a one patrolling an overlook to the east, one roaming around the entire ruin, one sat at the top of the stairs near the door to keep an eye out, and the last one was digging through the snow, far from the stone of the barrow. I took the opportunity to cut his throat, covering his mouth.
One down, I thought grimly. I then cast a ward around my entire body, and charged. It took a while for them to notice me; the one to the east was already dead before the last two even saw me and cried out in shock. They both attacked me simultaneously, and I had to focus hard to deflect all the blows. I eventually gained the upper hand, after I'd gotten an idea of the two combatants' rhythms. I ducked as one of them swung with both hands for my head, his battleaxe giving a slight swooshing noise as it passed over my head, and a loud crunch as it embedded itself in his comrade's chest. He fell to the floor limply, his torso partially separated. The other gave a cry of sorrow, and then dropped his battleaxe, allowing me to take his head off cleanly with Sol. I felt a pang of guilt, seeing the criminal give up before I killed him, but I buried it with all the other men I'd killed.

I fought through the tomb quickly and methodically, my training paying off dividends. Draugr, bandits, skeevers, another troll, all fell before my blade. Eventually, I came to a long, tall hallway; its walls were littered with Old Nordic carvings, and I found myself wishing I could translate. I turned away, and walked briskly to the end of the hall. The door was huge, made up of three rings with different symbols engraved on them. I'd picked up a large claw, made of solid gold, earlier on, from a Dunmer bandit called Arvel who had been tangled in some frostbite spider webs. I knew how this worked; Arvel's journal had revealed it perfectly. I looked at the "palm" of the claw, reading off three symbols and rotating the large door's rings until they matched the claw. Then I inserted the claw into a slot in the centre of the door, and rotated it clockwise until a large amount of dust fell onto my head, released by the large door lowering itself into the ground. I smiled, satisfied, as the claw dropped to the floor, and I picked it up, slotting it into one of my carry bags. It could be worth quite a lot.

I crossed the ancient threshold, dropping to the floor at a sudden noise, but getting up and brushing myself off once I realised it was just bats. I looked into the huge central chamber; the underground river flowing through it, the pedestal on which a large greyish coffin was placed, and a curved wall at the back. And something was drawing me to the wall. I approached it cautiously, eyes narrowed. Engraved into the wall was text; but not in any tongue I'd ever seen before. It was made up of a seemingly random collection of lines and dots, but one collection of runes drew my eye. I had no idea why; this word was even more simplified than the words around it. But something awoke inside me when I read it, and somehow, I immediately knew it read "fus". I said the word, exploring the pronunciation. But before I could read any more words, there was a large crack behind me. The coffin's lid had burst off the coffin, catapulting into the air and landing in the river. A large draugr emerged from the coffin, wielding a huge axe, and with a large, pentagonal stone hanging from its belt. I grimaced as I drew Sol, flourishing it round my head before I engaged. I was outmatched; the ancient dead man was beating me. I caught a hit to my cheek, slicing just a fraction of an inch into my flesh. Blood seeped weakly from the wound, and the draugr's mouth turned upwards in a grotesque, unnatural equivalent of an arrogant grin. I gritted my teeth, then shocked the undead. Sol glowed even brighter than before, as I poured energy into it. I feinted, parried and dodged nimbly, avoiding all his attacks before finally taking Sol in both hands and bringing it upwards swiftly, slicing through the old rotten wood and tearing the axehead from it, leaving the draugr with a useless piece of wood. Within a second, Sol had turned in my hands and I tore through the creature, finally making use of the enchantment on its flesh. I dug deep into its torso, tearing its ribs asunder before finally stopping and letting its flesh burn from Sol's enchantment. The draugr hung on my blade until its flesh burned away enough to let it slide off easily. I reached down and sliced the cord holding the Dragonstone to the draugr's belt, taking it up in my hands like an enormous book as I trudged my way out of the tomb and back to Whiterun.

"So you see, the terminology is clearly First Era or even older." Farengar was talking to a Breton woman in leather armour when I returned to him, so I leaned against the doorframe and waited for them to finish. Then Farengar noticed me. "Ah! The Jarl's protege. Back from Bleak Falls Barrow. You didn't, uh... die, it seems." I placed the stone tablet carefully down on the mage's table, then looked to him.
"If you expected me to die, then I'm glad I surprised you." I didn't smile. Farengar wasn't sure whether to laugh or recoil in fear; he simply giggled awkwardly as he turned back to his colleague. On my way out of the mage's quarters, I bumped into the housecarl, Irileth. She ignored me, and called to Farengar.
"Farengar! Farengar, you need to come at once! A dragon has been sighted near the western watchtower." She looked to me with distaste clear in her face. "You should come, too."
"I'm sorry to be such a nuisance to you." I scowled at Irileth's rude way of addressing me. Any hope of making up for the bad introduction seemed to be gone. But in any case, I would have to come. A dragon was more important than any personal issues, especially a dragon that was attacking men.

I followed Irileth, Farengar and a guard up a set of stairs, and leaned against a wooden pillar as Jarl Balgruuf asked the guard about the dragon. The guard replied that the dragon had burnt the tower out, and that he had fled to make sure the Jarl knew. I rolled my eyes slightly; a typical story. But I listened. And at the end, Balgruuf dismissed the guard, congratulating him on his courage. He told Irileth to take a squad of guardsmen and attack the dragon at the tower, Farengar to stay and study anything that could help fight future dragons, and then he turned to me. He saw my cut; I'd forgot I had it. I quickly and subtly healed it with a murmured spell as Balgruuf began to speak.
"There's no time to stand on ceremony, my friend. A dragon... I want you to go with Irileth and help her kill this dragon. There'll be a reward for you if you manage it. And don't think I've forgotten the service you did Farengar; I've instructed Proventus that you are now allowed to purchase property in Whiterun. Speak to him when you have the coin. Now, go, and help Irileth kill the damned creature." I curtsied to the Jarl, flattering him slightly; a Jarl wasn't deserving of a curtsy. Only a King or an Emperor deserved that respect. A Jarl got a polite nod, or a subtle bow at most. Balgruuf smiled, and glanced downwards slightly. I rolled my eyes and turned to leave, pulling my skirt back down over my thighs as I followed Irileth.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts