The Missing Snow Elf

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
Hi guys! This is my first attempt at a fan fic. This story has been in my head for 6 months now and I really wanted to write it down. So I am! I hope you like the story as much as I do :)
please let me know how you like it. And I'm always open to improvements to my writing style :)

This is the story of the Snow Elf, Rhew. She has amnesia after a blow to the head from a giant. Everything that could go wrong does and she is forced to do many things when all she wants is to find her memories.

Sept. 7, 2014: I have so many ideas for Rhew's story but it's always so hard to get through Helgen just because everyone knows this scene so much they could quote it by heart by now (well I can). But finally I've gotten through the main part of Helgen. I hope you enjoy part 3. :oops:

Sept. 9, 2014: Soldin's personality is shifting from what I had imagined in my head. Interesting how that happens while writing. I wrote him for one intended purpose but I have a feeling he'll become a main character.

Sept. 13, 2014: I wanted Rhew to return to Balgruuf after the dragon attack but no matter how I worded it it sounded forced. She just wasn't meant to see him.

Sept. 14, 2014: Uh oh! Faendal's in the doghouse now! :eek:

Oct. 6, 2014: Just an update. I hope you all are enjoying my story so far! I'm really starting to regret making this story first person. :oops: But anyhow, I wanted to mention that my story does take elements from some mods (Bosmer armor and the marry Faendal mods mostly). Also, the amnesia thing gives me a good excuse to not give Rhew depth and a past but trust me, she does. And it will return to her in time :)

Oct. 12, 2014: Since my story does take place in different eras and there will be different perspectives I have made banners that show who is the voice of the chapter (Rhew, Faendal, or Basilio) and what era it is (First era or Fourth era). If going from Rhew's life in 1E to 4E gets too confusing I may just start a new thread for her life before she was frozen.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
1e banner.jpg

THAWED FROZEN

The view was magnificent, I thought as I took a second to relax. It was a clear day. No clouds or snow in the sky. Rare for the area of Skyrim we were in. We could see for miles from our position but we weren’t done yet. There was still quite a climb in front of us. “Rhew! is this really the easiest route?” Basilio asked out of breath.

“There is no direct route to the top. Would you rather climb a snow field or the rocky cliffs on the other side?” I asked smiling.

He frowned, “Neither! This wasn’t what I had in mind when I started following you.”

I poked him in the ribs playfully. “What’s the matter? Is the air too thin for your Imperial lungs?” The climb wasn’t as hard for me for I am a Falmer. A snow elf as the Nords had come to call us. Although I was quite unique looking for a Falmer. Hair as red as fire and blue eyes like the ocean many of my friends had poked fun at me. I was also pretty short for an elf.

The Nords were brutal to my people. They scorched my village and killed my family in front of my eyes. I was lucky to escape. Many of my kin had gone running to the Dwemer for help. I was not one of them. The Dwemer seemed too willing to help us. It gave me an uneasy feeling. Instead I have been jumping from one town to the next. I’m not sure where I’ll end up. I just hope it’s safe.

I met Basilio when a group of Nords attacked me a few years ago. Basilio is an Imperial from Cyrodiil. For some reason Basilio decided to leave the army to stay with me. He claimed it was to protect the Dragonborn. Other soldiers claimed it was because he found me attractive. I never thought of myself as attractive with my blindingly pale Falmer skin.

Oh, and yes, I am dragonborn as well. Something the Nords were really happy to find out about. Of course the Nords attacks became more frequent after it became clear who I was. They claimed that no one except a Nord could be Dragonborn and claimed I was a false dragonborn. Why I was dragonborn is unknown. The only thing I really knew I needed to do was find word walls and learn the shouts. This was what we were doing now. I had heard rumors of a word wall at the top of the mountain.

Having Basilio around really was nice. He has saved my life more than once. He’s also not so bad looking. Tall with tan skin. His eyes the color of honey. His hair dark like the night. He still wore his Imperial armor even though he wasn’t part of the army anymore. It comforts him he said.

A hand rested on my shoulder taking me out of my head. “I lost you for a moment.” Basilio smiled. “Where did you go?”

I shook my head. “No where important. I was just enjoying the sight. Come on! We have to get to the top before night fall.” I began climbing up the snow field that seemed to go on forever in every direction. We were only half way to the top. Climbing probably isn’t the right word to use. Every step we took our legs sunk into the snow to our waists. We hobbled up the snow field.

As we climbed higher I could hear Basilio behind me struggling to breath. It made me chuckle. How lucky was I to grow up in a mountainous area. Basilio and I froze when we heard the sound. A roar. It was distant but distinct. A dragon. We must be close to the top! I thought. I looked up and my heart sank. No, we aren’t. We were maybe a little more than half way up the snow field. The dragon roared a second time. Much louder. Much closer. I glanced at Basilio. We couldn’t fight here. We were sinking into the snow up to our waists. If the dragon showed up now we couldn’t defend ourselves.

As if it could read my mind the dragon appeared over the mountain and made it’s way toward us. “Fus Ro Dah!” the dragon shouted at the top of the snow field. The force caused the field to shift. A wall of snow began to fall towards us at a terrifying speed.

“Rhew!” Basilio yelled. He grabbed my arm and started pulling me down the mountain. The sound of the rushing snow sounded like an earthquake. It was gaining on us. It was hopeless. We would never get to safety. We could barely walk. I had to think fast.

“Basilio.” I stopped him and made him face me. “Do you trust me?”

His face contorted into confusion. “I will always trust you.”

“We will survive this! I promise!” I had to act fast. The avalanche was gaining speed.

“Rhew. I don’t understand.”

The avalanche would swallow us in seconds! No time to explain! “Iiss Slen Nus!” I shouted. A wall of ice surrounded us as the avalanche crashed into us. I’m sorry for bringing you into this, Basilio. I hope we will be found and survive being frozen. I’m sorry. My last thoughts as consciousness was taken from me.

Basilio and I sprinted across the cracked earth of the Rift. Steam from the hot springs rose around us. The thundering steps of giants behind us became louder. Oh what luck we have waking up in the middle of a giant’s camp. How we ended up in the middle of the Rift is still a mystery. The mountain we climbed was no where near here. We were both weak from being frozen. A lot weaker than I thought we would be. I spun around toward the giants “Fus Ro Dah!” I shouted. The giants stumbled for a few seconds before continuing after us. We are a lot weaker than we should be. My shout should throw them off their feet. How long have we been frozen?

My legs felt as if poison pumped through them. Basilio looked worse than I felt. But I had it slightly better than he did with all that metal armor he wore. I, being a mage, didn’t wear armor. A club slammed to the ground at our feet sending us crashing to the ground. I skidded across the cracked dirt. My whole body ached. “Rhew! Get up!” Basilio pulled me to my feet and pulled me along. This was the worst place to be attacked by giants. There was no where to hide.

A second club caught Basilio in his ribs. He flew a few feet and landed on the ground with a thud. My heart sank. How could he survive that. I was too tired to run anymore but I kept running. I turned towards the broken body of Basilio determined to get to him. I don’t know if it would help but I was going to try some restoration magic on him. I spun toward the giants to shout at them. “Fu-” A club connected to my head.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg

AMNESIA

A groan slipped past my lips. I slowly pushed myself to my knees with trembling arms. There was a pool of blood where I had laid. I pressed my hand gingerly against my head. The side of my face and my hair was caked in blood. How did I survive? Wait. What did I survive? I was puzzled. I couldn’t remember what happened. I tried to think. I couldn’t remember anything! My name. My name is. My name is Rhew. Rhew is my name. Ok. At least I remember my name.

A few feet in front of me was a man in a soldiers uniform unconscious. Basilio. The name popped into my head. That must be his name. But who was he? I couldn’t remember yet I felt we were friendly. Is he even alive? I stood up causing a rush of pain to my head. My hand went to my temple. The touch made me wince. I slowly made my way to Basilio and kneeled next to him. His chest slowly rose and fell. Relief washed over me. Oh, he’s alive! But hurt. So hurt. How could I help him? We had no items.

Magic? I. I could use magic. Yes. That is why I don’t have any weapons. Thinking too hard made my head throb more but I was determined to help him. Soon a ball of light energy floated just above my palm. Please let this help. “Stop what you are doing this instant!” A deep voice behind me called out. I was concentrating so much on my magic I didn’t even hear the horse carriages show up. In fact, I was surrounded by soldiers that were wearing similar armor to Basilio.

“He’s injured badly. Can you help him please?” I asked. The way they were watching me was unnerving. They were looking at me like I was a killer. Am I a killer?

The man that I assume is the captain unsheathed his sword and took a few steps closer to me. “Step away from him or you will regret it.” the other soldiers drew their weapons as well although a couple of them seemed uneasy at this. I was surrounded and I didn’t understand what was happening.

“ok. Ok.” I replied with a shaky voice as I stood up and took a couple of steps back. a couple of the soldiers grabbed my shoulders and pushed me to my knees. They began to bind my arms together. “Wait! What are you doing?” I cried out.

“You’re under arrest for attempting the murder of an imperial soldier. You will be sent to Helgen with the others.”

“Helgen? What?” I struggled to get out of their grip but I felt so weak. “I didn’t do anything wrong!” I cried.

“If you don’t calm down I will force you to.” the captain exclaimed. I heard his words but I couldn’t calm down. I struggled to be free from their grips. I cried that I was innocent. A blunt object connected with the back of my head.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
LEGENDS DON’T BURN DOWN VILLAGES

I was jolted awake. I slowly sat up and adjusted myself. This seat was so uncomfortable. Every bump and stone we went over made the carriage shift and bounce. “You’re finally awake.” A voice in front of me said. I blunk my eyes a few times to focus them. A blond man in a blue uniform sat in front of me. Another man a larger dark haired man with a scar running across his face sat next to the blond man. Bad vibes seemed to iminate from this man. “Jarl Ulfric must really think something of you to let you sleep on him like you did.”

Sleep on him? Jarl Ulfric? I was leaning over when I woke. Was I leaning on him? I looked over at the man sitting next to me. He was hunched over. His arms also bound but for some reason his mouth was gagged as well. He turned slightly and watched me for a moment with intense eyes. “I-I’m sorry.” I stammered. After a moment Jarl Ulfric went back to watching the wooden floor.

“What’s your name, little elf?” the blond asked. “I’m Ralof. The scary looking one next to me is Soldin. He’s harmless though.” I looked at Soldin. He kissed towards me and laughed. i didn’t like him.

“I’m Rhew.” I murmured. “I don’t know why I’m here.”

“Rhew.” Ralof tested her name. “Cute name for a little elf.” He said with a small smile.

“You have that horrible head wound. I’m sure that has something to do with why you’re here.” Soldin commented. I brought my bound hands to my injured head. Just thinking about it made it throb. Fresh blood. My wound hasn’t closed yet. Getting knocked in the head multiple times can’t be good.

“I don’t remember how I got this.” The three men stared at me. “I don’t remember anything but my name and the man’s name I was with.” I shook my head.

Soldin seemed to get too excited about this. “You have what do you call it! That head thing.”

“Amnesia.” Ralof finished for him.

“Yes, I guess that is what I have.” I said watching the floor. We passed through the city gates. I could feel the eyes of the villagers staring at us. If only I could remember what happened to me. Maybe I wouldn’t be in this situation.

“That damned Tullius with the Thalmor!” Ralof exclaimed. “I should have known they had something to do with this!” I glanced up and saw a group of people on horseback. One was in the same uniform Basilio was wearing. The others were elves in a black garb. The Thalmor?

The carriages came to a stop in the city center. The only thing in the center being a chopping block. A female captain began to scream for everyone to get out of the carriages. The soldiers began to call off the names of the prisoners until I was the only one left in the group. “Who are you?” the soldier asked me.

“Rhew.”

“Captain, she’s not on the list.” he said unsure of what to do. Maybe just maybe this will be my way out.

“Who cares! She goes with the others!” She yelled. My heart sunk. I was going to die.

“I’m sorry. We’ll send your remains back to……” He thought for a moment. “um, to Valenwood.” The captain pushed me towards the other prisoners. I tried to keep a blank face while the last rites were given but I felt tears slip down my cheeks.

“Oh for the love of Talos! Let’s get this over with!” One of the prisoners yelled pushing his way towards the chopping block. As he laid his head on the block he cried out “My ancestors are smiling at me. Can you say the same?” The axe came down and his head fell into a basket next to the chopping block.

“Next! You, wood elf!” the captain screamed as she pushed the headless body aside. Was she talking about me? Am I a wood elf? I could feel everyone’s eyes on me. “You! Elf! You’re the only one here! Now!” I slowly made my way to the chopping block. My extremities were going numb. My heart pounded so hard I could feel it in my throat. I was pushed down onto the headless body. My head was slammed into the chopping block. All composure I had left at that moment.

“Be strong, little elf.” I heard Ralof call to me.

The axe raised above the executioners head. “Auri-El No!” I screamed.

“Dragon!” Someone yelled as a dragon landed on the tower overlooking the center creating the ground to shake. The executioner lost his balance falling over. The dragon shouted. The clear skies was quickly covered by clouds and fire fell from the sky.

“Rhew! Get up! Now’s our chance!” Ralof yelled. I stumbled to my feet and ran after Ralof. Fire rained from the sky. The dragon flew around shouting fire at the chaos. We dodged the raining fire and rain into a nearby tower where other prisoners were hiding. Jarl Ulfric and Soldin were among the group. “It’s a dragon! I thought they were only legends!” Ralof exclaimed.

“Legends don’t burn down villages.” Jarl Ulfric said in his deep matter-of-fact voice. The tower shook from an explosion. “We need to move now!” Ulfric yelled.

“Come on, little elf, let’s go!” I ran up the tower with Ralof and Soldin behind me. The wall exploded at the top of the stairs in front of me sending me flying back into Ralof. “You’re ok!” He said helping me get my balance. We ran to the first landing. The rest of the tower was inaccessible now.

“What do we do now?” Soldin yelled over the fire rain and dragon shouts.

Ralof pointed out the giant hole. “We can jump into the next building from here! Rhew, you go first! We’ll follow with the injured.”

I looked out the hole at the long gap between the tower and the building. “I can’t make that!”

Soldin picked me up like a doll, “Sure you can! I’ll help you.”

“Wait! At least cut these ropes first!” But it was too late. I was flying through the air towards the building. Some how I managed to land on my feet taking a few stumbling steps at my landing. Ok. How do I get out of here? I hopped down from a hole in the floor and ran out the building. The soldier from earlier was ushering civilians to safety from the dragon.

“You’re still alive prisoner? Stay with me if you want to stay that way!” he yelled towards me. “Get down!” The dragon landed in front of us.

“Yol Toor Shul!” the dragon shouted fire. Those words sounded so familiar but thinking about it made my head hurt.

“Elf, run!” the soldier snapped me out of my thoughts. I ran after him as we made our way through the smoldering ruins of the city. “Get back!” He yelled as the dragon landed on the wall above us.

“Yol Toor Shul!” It yelled. There it is again. I know that word but how?

“Come on! Let’s go!” We ran through another center where soldiers tried unsuccessfully to shoot down the dragon with arrows. Ralof and Soldin came running from another direction towards the same building. “Ralof you traitor!” the soldier yelled.

“You are the traitor, Hadvar!” Ralof yelled back, “Come on, little elf! We’re getting out of here!” Before I could decide what I wanted to do Soldin had grabbed the back of my tunic and dragged me after them. I couldn’t help but believe that soldier was not a bad person.

“Please survive this, Hadvar!” I yelled to him as I was pulled into the building.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg

CALMING ANXIETY

Inside was eerily quiet compared to outside. The building would tremble occasionally but there was no other sound. We ran to a small opening where a man in a blue uniform lay dead. Ralof kneeled down next to him. “We’ll meet again in Sovngarde.” He said quietly. He stood up and walked up to me. “Here let me cut those ropes. Sorry we didn’t earlier.” He said as he cut the ropes binding my arms. I rubbed my aching wrists once they were freed. “You need better protection than those rags you’re wearing. You must have had a rough life before the Imperials caught you. Why don’t you take his armor. Don’t worry. I’ll turn so you can get dressed.”

“I won’t” Soldin said with that creepy look in his eyes. Ralof pulled Soldin across the room with him and forced him to stare at the wall.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered to the dead man as I pulled his armor off of him. I quickly changed keeping my eyes on Soldin. I did not trust him even with Ralof keeping his eyes on him. The armor was huge on my small frame. I felt like a little child in the armor. “Ok. I’m dressed.” I called out.

Ralof laughed when he saw me, “I’m sorry. It’s cute. Really, but maybe we should find something that fits you better later.” He said with a chuckle.

“Something that fits you real good.” Soldin said nudging me in my side.

I looked at him with disgust, “You’re a pig,”

“I’m a Nord but close enough.” He said winking.

Ralof placed a hand on Soldin’s shoulder, “Ok, ok. Let’s find a way out of here. Do you have a weapon, little elf?” I told him I use magic. I really hope I use magic. “Magic, huh? You elves and your magic. Alright let’s get going.”

We followed the twisting halls of the building that seemed to lead us deeper underground. Could we really find a way out of here? “Shor’s bones! It’s a torture room! Those damned Imperials!” There were bodies in swinging cages like they were animals. What did these men do to deserve this kind of treatment?

“Prisoners are trying to escape!” An Imperial soldier yelled. Two soldiers came rushing at us. Ralof took out an axe while Soldin started swinging with a mace. They skirmished for awhile. I need to help them! I concentrated on some magic. What do I even know? Frost? Why frost? Ok. I felt my hand chill as a faint blue light glew above it. I shot a spray of frost at the soldiers accidently hitting Ralof and Soldin as well.

“Hey! Careful with that!” Soldin yelled. He bashed one of the soldiers with the mace. Ralof cut the other one down. I guess I wasn’t much help.

“Magic?” Ralof asked skeptically.

I shrunk into myself, “I feel like that’s what I used but-”

“Amnesia. Yes?” Ralof looked around the room and grabbed a shield that was hanging on the wall. “How about you hide behind this and we will protect you, ok?” I didn’t like the idea of being protected like some delicate flower but I nodded in agreement. We continued further into the building. We entered a room that seemed to be connected to a cave. “This has to be a way out.” Ralof explained. As we entered the cave more Imperial soldiers attacked us. “Rhew, stay back! Let us handle this!” Ralof yelled as he ran at the closest soldier. Soldin bashed a second soldier in the head. He crumpled to the floor. Dead I’m sure.

“You’re dead, elf!” A soldier got through Ralof and Soldin and swung his sword at me. I hid behind my shield as it hit. The force made me stumble. I fell to the ground dropping the shield. The soldier raised his sword with a crazed look in his eyes. Oh, gods what do I do! “Yol toor shul!” I screamed. The soldier burst into flames. Dropping his sword he screamed as he ran. He fell to the floor and rolled around in an attempt to stop the flames. But they would not go out. After what seemed like agonizing minutes he stopped moving altogether.

Did I do that? Was that me? I thought in horror. Ralof ran up to me and pulled me to my feet. He handed me the shield. “Maybe you are a mage.” He commented. Soldin watched in silence. The way he looked at me seemed different than before. Intrigued almost. Why did I yell what the dragon had yelled? Was that what made the man burst into flames?

We continued deeper into the cave following a spring. after a few minutes Ralof grabbed my shoulder to stop me. “Hold up. It’s a bear!” He whispered. “I’d rather not tangle with her. Let’s sneak by.” Soldin snickered. “If you want to fight her, Soldin, go right ahead. We will wait here for you.”

“Nah, I’ll let her live today.” Soldin whispered. Ralof exchanged looks with me. Soldin acted big but was he really as strong and confident as he pretended to be? We slowly crept by the sleeping bear and made our way towards daylight. We ran the rest of the way through the cave excited to finally be free of the chaos. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust to the sunlight. We watched the dragon fly over the mountain and disappear.

An image of a dragon attacking me from a mountain flooded my mind. Freezing. Running. A club to my head. My head began to throb. I tried to ignore it. Were these images of things that happened to me before my amnesia?

“I can’t believe we survived that. Let’s hope others have too. But we need to keep moving. Who knows when the Imperials will show up.” Ralof said. We started following the cobblestone path down the mountain side. I couldn’t believe I was alive after everything that had happened. I started laughing at the luck. My laughter soon changed to sobs. Sobs I couldn’t stop. I collapsed and cried in my hands. I tried to stop but I couldn’t. As I sobbed my body grew hot. My vision started to blur. What was happening to me? I couldn’t think straight. I felt as if I was about to pass out. Ralof and Soldin stopped and watched me for a moment. Ralof kneeled next to me and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. “Calm down, little elf, we’re safe now.” I looked up at him with what little vision I had when I was able to control my sobs but his concerned face made me cry more.

Soldin sighed with exhaustion. “Let’s just leave her. We’re exposed on this road.”

“I’m not leaving her after all we went through.” Ralof stated. “I think she’s in shock. Who can blame her?” Ralof picked me up and continued down the road. After a few minutes we entered a small town next to the river. “This is Riverwood where I grew up. I’m sure my sister, Gerdur can help you.” He told me. I nodded at what he said but I couldn’t concentrate on his words.

Another Nord stopped Soldin as we started across the bridge towards a lumbermill. “Hey, could you help me with something?”

“Sure! Anything for a brother Nord! What’s your name?” Soldin asked.

“Sven…..”

Ralof rolled his eyes. “Soldin always does little things for people to make him look better than he actually is.” As we rounded the corner of the lumbermill an older blond woman came running up to us.

“Ralof! What are you doing here!” She exclaimed. She took a look at me. “The poor girl! She’s in shock! What happened to you?” As Ralof explained what we went through he sat me down on a tree stump. I laid my head on my knees and stared at the grass. I was shaking uncontrollably. My face felt like it was on fire. I took deep breaths to calm down but I just couldn’t. “No wonder she’s in shock! After everything you’ve been through.”

“What can we do though to help her?” Ralof asked.

“Maybe my employee can help her. He’s a wood elf as well.” Gerdur said. I glanced up from my knees. Another wood elf? But calling myself a wood elf seemed weird. Wrong even. Across the lumber mill was a man leaning on the fence watching the river. Gerdur started to call him but stopped when another woman stormed up to him and accosted him. We couldn’t hear what she was saying but was indeed mad. She slapped him and stormed off before he could even say anything. “I wonder what in Talos happened between them?” Gerdur said more to herself. “I feel bad now but we need his help. Faendal! Could you come over for a moment.” He jogged over to us and asked what was needed. “There’s a female wood elf in shock from everything she’s been through. I didn’t know if there was anything you could do for her. I’m sorry for asking this after what happened.”

“Another Bosmer?” He sounded excited. He kneeled in front of me and looked into my eyes. What a handsome man. He was older from his long silver hair and aged face but his eyes were filled with a gentle nature. “Wood elf?” He seemed skeptical too. He placed his fingers gingerly on my temples reminding me of my injury on my left temple. All the worries in my head seemed to melt away. The world had a gentle glow of a setting sun. Faendal smiled “Do you feel better now?” He asked.

I nodded “Thank you.”

“What’s your name?” He asked gently.

“Rhew.”

He smiled “You’re not a wood elf, Rhew.”

“I know,” I chuckled.

“I didn’t know you knew magic, Faendal.” Gerdur exclaimed.

He stood up and faced them but didn’t leave my side. “I know a couple. They’ve saved my life more than once.”

“We need to warn Whiterun of the dragon attack. but I cannot go. It is too dangerous for me to travel.” Ralof explained once I felt better.

“I’ll go.” I said. Everyone looked at me with surprise. “It’s the least I could do. Besides I just feel like this is something to do with me.”

“Are you sure you have amnesia? And not just “forgetting” to tell us something important.” Ralof raised an eyebrow.

I shook my head. “I don’t know why I feel this way. But I will go.”

“I think it’s the calming spell that’s making her think this way. Maybe it’s best if she gets some rest.” Faendal suggested. I tried to stand up but my legs wobbled and I fell to the tree stump. “That is definitely the calming spell. I’ll help you. You can use my cabin for tonight.”

I agreed although I don’t think I would have if I wasn’t under the spell. He helped me to his cabin and into the bed. I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
SHADOWS ABOVE RIVERWOOD

I awoke in a cold sweat. Jolted awake as if lightning had struck me. Where was I? I felt I had slept for centuries. Not even a dream pierced my sleep last night. I was in a small one room cabin. Cozy. A fire crackled in the middle of the wall. Books covered the two cupboards in the cabin. One table was littered with bows, arrows, and pelts. The other with food and ale. There was a bowl with a bloody rag in it on the small table next to the bed I sat in. My hand instinctively went to my temple. No more blood, dried or wet. Was this the Bosmer’s cabin?

He…. he put a calming spell on me, I remembered. I went into shock. Almost being executed, a dragon attack, whatever bashed my head….. a giant? All of it had been too much for me. “You’re finally awake.” Faendal walked into the cabin holding clothes and a few books. His good looks weren’t just the imagination of my clouded mind I realized. I hope I wasn’t blushing. He placed the items on the edge of the bed. “These are a few things that I thought would be useful for you. Just a simple leather armor that should fit better than what you have now and a few spell tomes. A few of these spells have saved my life. Ralof mentioned you were a mage who had forgotten her spells.”

I picked up the tomes and read the names. “Healing, flames, frost, and stoneflesh. Frost was what I tried to use yesterday.” I said with a smile. “You didn’t have to do this.”

Faendal sat at a chair next to the bed and smiled. “I know I didn’t have to.”

“Why did you?” I pushed.

“That I don’t know” he laughed.”Maybe it was the excitement of another Bosmer being in town. Or possibly that you’re not a Bosmer at all.”

“What am I?” I asked.

“You really don’t know your own race?” He asked. I shook my head. I just knew Bosmer didn’t sound right. “How hard did you get knocked in the head?”

“You cleaned my wounds last night.” I stated ignoring the question since I didn’t have the answer. “Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me.” He told me. “You’re a Falmer. A snow elf.” Yes, that sounded right to me. “They were thought to be extinct. At least…. well that’s not important.”

“Extinct?”

“How about some breakfast. Venison. Fresh from this morning.” He walked to a pot hanging over the fire and placed a slab of meat on two plates. He added a chunk of cheese and cooked eggs. He’s ignoring my question but my stomach growled and I was suddenly aware of how empty it was. I jumped out of the bed and rushed to the table stuffing a hand full of food in my mouth before sitting down. Faendal stared at me as I stuffed food into my mouth. It was so tender and tasty. I grabbed a tankard of water and washed the food down. I felt I hadn’t eaten in centuries. “You… when was the last time you ate?” He asked.

“I don’t remember. Sorry.” I exclaimed embarrassed. I grabbed one of the spell tomes and a fork. I opened one of the books and began to eat a little more civilized. He chuckled and began eating as well. It was silent as we ate breakfast and I studied the spell tomes.

There was a loud knock at the door. Soldin barged into the cabin before Faendal could even stand up from the bench. “Hey you lover elves! Ready to go to Whiterun?”

“Lovers?” Faendal asked.

“Wait. You’re going?” I asked ignoring his comment. Why is he going?

“Of course! You need a bodyguard don’t you.” He commented.

“She doesn’t need one. I’m going.” Faendal stated. He’s going too? When did this happen?

“You?! Who are you?”

“Faendal.”

Soldin snapped his fingers as if he realized something. “Oh! Oh Talos! I am so sorry for what happened. I was only helping. I didn’t know what it was until it happened.”

“Sorry for what” Faendal asked curtly.

“About that Camila chick.” Soldin explained oblivious. At hearing her name Faendal’s whole body tensed. “I handed her a letter. I was told it was from you. Something about how Man and Mer were never meant to be together. Blah, blah, blah.” Faendal’s hand was gripped around the hilt of a dagger he had at his belt. His whole body shook

“You should go.” Faendal said through gritted teeth.

Soldin looked shocked. “What? As I see it I did you the favor. Not that Sven character! She’s not even interested in either of you. She was leading the two of you on. She’s already shown interest in me. And I’m not that great looking of a man.” Soldin said with a laugh.

“Shut up.” Faendal said.

Soldin shrugged. “I don’t see what’s so great about this woman. Does she have mead flavored tits?”

Faendal slammed the dagger into the table. It pierced into the wood panel almost to the hilt. “Get out!” He yelled.

“Whoa. ok. Settle down, elf boy. I’ll wait for you at the Sleeping Giant Inn. Do not leave without me, little elf.” Soldin said halfway out the door. He left closing the door. I did not like that he called me Little Elf. It was only enduring when Ralof said it. Funny since I only met him yesterday.

Faendal was still shaking. I didn’t know what to say. There wasn’t really anything to say. I placed my hand on his shaking shoulder hoping it might sooth him. He tensed up for a moment but finally relaxed. We sat in silence as he calmed. “I guess what she said to me at the trader this morning makes sense now.” He stated finally. “About how quickly I moved on with an elf girl in town.” I took my hand off his shoulder and began poking at the venison with my fork. I was no longer hungry. What does one say to a statement like that? Nothing. You say nothing. He stared at the dagger and began to chuckle. “I’m not sure I can pull that back out.”

“Will you be ok?” I finally asked.

“What? Me? Yeah, I have sword somewhere in here. Probably better to have on me than a dagger.” He said avoiding what my question really meant. He left the table and started gathering supplies: food, water, a couple of bed rolls, and potions. I wasn’t sure if he was doing this because we needed to head out or if he was just doing it to occupy his mind. He strapped on a set of steel armor, threw a quiver of arrows and his bow across his shoulder, sheathed a sword at his belt, and threw the knapsack over his other shoulder. “Ok. I’ll wait outside for you to get dressed. Just come out when you’re ready.” He said with a smile. His smile couldn’t hide the sadness in his eyes. I nodded and he headed out the door.

I quickly changed into the leather armor Faendal bought me. It was still a little big but at least I didn’t feel like a toddler in her father’s clothes. I grabbed the spell tomes and left the cabin. “Faendal, could you place these in the knapsack?” I asked.

“What do you want me to carry?” I handed him the books and he placed them in his pack. “Ready to go?” I nodded. “Do you really want that brute to go with us?” Faendal asked as we walked through the small town. I was still unsure when this trip became a “we” and not just me.

“Not really but I have a feeling we don’t have much choice. He was at Helgen too. It’s best if both of us told the Jarl what happened.”

Soldin jumped up from a chair on the porch of the inn and ran to us as we walked by. “Ready to go I see.” He exclaimed as he placed his arms around us. Faendal pushed his arm off and moved around the two of us so I was in the middle. The faster we get to Whiterun the better. For both their sakes. We had barely left the town when Soldin stopped us. “We’re going to do a little detour. Help out a couple of people get their family heirloom or whatever it is back from the bandits.”

“How about you do it and we’ll continue to Whiterun.” Faendal suggested.

“Ah, well, you see I need your archery skills and her mage skills to keep those bandits from overpowering me. Also the gold I’ll get from this will help out. And of course, I’ll give you a portion of it.” He explained trying to convince us. “I’m guessing you don’t have much gold.”

Faendal grimaced. For the first time I wondered how much the armor and tomes he brought me cost. Not cheap I assumed. “Ok. Only to get the heirloom.” Faendal agreed, “And maybe to see if there’s some gold in the ruins.”

“That’s the spirit!” Soldin exclaimed clapping Faendal on the back. I watched as Faendal used stoneflesh and take out his bow and an arrow. I followed using stoneflesh as well. I was intrigued by Faendal’s decision. Not just getting the heirloom back but also wanting to explore the ruins. There was more to this “simple” mill worker/hunter than met the eyes.

We followed Soldin up the mountain path as it winded further and further into the snowy peak. Soldin pulled out his mace when a fort tower came into view. “When you see a bandit I want you to hit him with an arrow.” Soldin told Faendal. Faendal pulled back the string on his bow half way in preparation of the battle. “You will back us up, little elf.” We quietly but quickly made our way closer to the base of the tower. One lone guard stood outside. An arrow whizzed by my head. It hit the bandit in the chest. Three other bandits ran out of the tower from the scream of the bandit. “Let’s go!” Soldin yelled as he ran for the bandits.

He swung the mace down connecting to a shield the bandit was holding. They struggled with each other when an arrow hit the bandit in his shoulder giving Soldin the opportunity he needed to finish the bandit. “Dammit! My aiming was off!” Faendal cursed. Another arrow flew to the top of the tower where another bandit rained arrows around us. One slipped past Soldin and attacked Faendal. He dropped his bow and unsheathed the sword. His sword connected with the other’s but the other man seemed stronger pushing Faendal down towards the ground. With his other hand Faendal took out a dagger hidden in his boot and stabbed the man in the side where he was exposed. A second dagger? The one he slammed into the table was never removed.

“Rhew! Back up now!” Soldin yelled. I ran to where Soldin was having trouble with a big brute of a man and sprayed frost at him. The frost slowed him down enough for Soldin to have the quicker swing. The last bandit, the archer at the top of the tower, was left. Soldin charged into the tower after him.

“Rhew! Watch out!” Faendal pushed me aside and reflected an arrow with his sword. What reflexes!

“How-” I started as he helped me up.

“Into the tower.” He interrupted pulling me into the tower away from the archer’s view. I ran up the stairs but by the time I reached Soldin he had finished the archer.

He was already searching for the heirloom. “It’s not here.” He muttered. I asked what the heirloom looked like. “Some kind of claw.” After we searched the whole tower with no luck (except for the few coins Faendal pocketed) we continued higher into the mountains. “Looks like you’ll get to explore the ruins, wood elf.” Soldin said. Faendal didn’t reply.

More bandits at the ruins fell as fast as the ones at the tower. I almost felt sorry for them if they wouldn’t attack us. Faendal just shook his head “They don’t practice their skills. That’s why they don’t stand a chance.” He pointed out.

“It’s not here!” Soldin sighed frustrated. We made our way inside the dank ruins where two more bandits sat next to a blazing fire. They fell at Faendal’s arrows before they had a chance to defend themselves. “Safer than rushing into a fight.” Faendal said. We followed the twisting corridors of the ruins. The further we traveled the more spider webs appeared until there were so many we had to cut through them.

"Is... is someone coming? Is that you Harknir? Bjorn? Soling? I know I ran ahead with the claw, but I need help!" A voice called out as we cut through the webs. We entered a room covered in webs and spider egg sacs. “Watch out! Here she comes!” The voice called out. Above a giant spider slowly made her way down to the floor.

“Oh my gods!” I exclaimed.

“Don’t just gape at it! Attack!” Soldin yelled. I shot fire at it as it made it’s way to the floor. Faendal shot arrows. Our attacks didn’t seem to phase it. “Keep hitting it!” Faendal shouted. I tried to keep the flames at her but my head started to feel woozy. I couldn’t concentrate on the spell that long. I fell to the floor as my head went light. Faendal and Soldin finished off the weakened spider once she was on the floor. Faendal kneeled next to me and helped me to my feet. “I had a feeling this might happen.” He said, “You concentrated too much on your magic. I bought a few potions to help you.” He dug through the sack and handed me a blue bottle. The light headedness went away as soon as the liquid in the bottle hit my lips. How much did he buy just for me? I wondered.

“What was that?” I asked.

“Just a potion to help concentrate on magic spells.”

“Just lovely! If you’re done standing around cut me down!” the voice called out. A dark man…. no, a dark mer was strung up in the web of the giant spider. He struggled but couldn’t move.

Soldin lend on the stone wall next to him. “Looks like we got here in time. Where’s the claw?”

“Claw? Oh yes! I have it and can tell you how to use it. You have to cut me down first though.” The dark elf said. Soldin shrugged and asked Faendal to cut him down. Once the elf dropped to the floor he shot up to his feet and sprinted off further into the ruins. “Ha ha! What idiots! You think I’d share the claw with you?” He called back to us. Soldin cursed and ran after the elf.

I stopped Faendal from following the two. “How do you know how to do all of this?” I asked him. The hidden dagger? The concentration to hit the right person in the midst of battle? The sword skills? He didn’t seem to have a qualm about killing another person.

“What do you mean?”

“What did you do before you were at Riverwood?” I asked.

He smiled “I was just your humble hunter.” I couldn’t shake the feeling that he wasn’t. We left the spider’s lair and caught up with Soldin who was standing over the body of the dark elf reading a journal.

“Took you two long enough. Not long enough to really do anything interesting though.” He said with a wink. “Let’s find out what this poor sod was going to do with the claw.”

“But the dragon-”

“We’re this far in. Let’s keep going.” Faendal interrupted.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
GLOWING WORDS SPEAK TO ME

We weaved through the dank halls of the ruins deeper into the mountain. bodies of long dead Nords laid in holes carved into the mountain. I felt uneasy and secretly wished Faendal had decided for us to leave. A rough hand pulled me from where I was about to step. “Watch where you step. There’s traps everywhere in ruins like these.” Faendal explained. I looked down at where I was about to step and saw a stone that was slightly different from the rest. Faendal took a large stone and threw it at the stone. An iron grate with spikes swung with such aggression it slammed into the wall with a loud thud. It made me jump.

“Looks like we have a seasoned explorer with us, little elf. I wasn’t expecting that.” Soldin commented as he walked around the iron grate. I gingerly stepped around the grate and followed after Soldin. Faendal was not far behind me. We entered a large room but we weren’t the only ones moving in the room. Ugly half decayed humans ran at us with weapons drawn.

“What are those things?!” I cried in fear.

“Draugrs! This is what I needed a mage for. Use your fire, girl.” Soldin stated. Soldin ran at the closest draugr while Faendal began shooting arrows. I pushed back my fear and ran after Soldin throwing fire at which ever draugr he was attacking trying my best not to hit him as well. The draugrs went down faster than I thought. We were soon alone in the large room. “Good job, little elf.” Soldin exclaimed ruffing up my hair as he walked by continuing through the room. Faendal stopped next to me and watched Soldin walk away. After a few silent moments he continued after Soldin. I had hoped the tension from the cabin would leave because of this adventure but I could see it was still there.

Soon we were in a long empty corridor with a door with a weird contraption on it at the end. “Is this what the claw is for?” I asked. Soldin nodded and began spinning the large circles in the door. After a few spins he pushed the claw into the middle and twisted it like a key. The door began to spin and slowly opened. We walked through the door into a cavern. It was beautiful. Waterfalls fell around the platform where it looked someone very important was laid to rest.

“Wow” Faendal breathed. “There has to be treasure here.” He said as we walked to the platform. Behind the coffin was a wall with a language I couldn’t read carved into it. The closer we got the brighter one of the words glew. It was as if the word was calling to me. It felt so familiar to me.

“The word is glowing!” I exclaimed. Both Faendal and Soldin looked at me funny. “No? No one else sees it?”

“Be careful. Who knows what will happen if you get near that wall.” Faendal warned. I couldn’t help but walk up to the wall. The word glew so brightly and seemed to beat like a heart. I felt a power rush into me. Power and knowledge. Force. The word entered my head. I suddenly wasn’t in the cavern but in a village. A burning village. People ran trying to escape the carnage. Not just people. Elves. Snow elves. Nords struck down the scared elves.

“Rhew!” I looked up. Faendal was in front of me. His hands on my shoulders. I had fallen to my knees. I touched my cheeks. They were wet. Was I crying? “Are you alright?” He asked. I nodded and accepted his hand as I stood up.

“This wall” Soldin said intrigued. The coffin behind him began to stir. The draugr pulled his way out of it.

“Draugr!” I yelled.

“No, no, no. This looks like the dragon language.” Soldin replied. Faendal shot an arrow over Soldin’s head at the draugr. I shot fire towards it. “Whoa! What are you two doing!” He shouted. He finally turned in time to counter the draugr’s sword with his shield. “Better warning next time!” He yelled pushing the draugr away. He swung his mace connecting it to the draugr’s arm. It dropped it’s sword. Faendal shot another arrow hitting the draugr’s other shoulder. “Gods….. dammit!” He yelled in frustration. I blasted fire hitting the thing in it’s chest. It fell. Finally not moving.

“We make a good team.” Soldin commented once the draugr fell. “Who knew! Me! Teaming up with wood elves.” He said laughing.

“I’m not a wood elf.” I corrected him. He raised an eyebrow. “I’m a Falmer.”

“Falmer! Those deformed eyeless…..” Soldin’s voice dropped when he saw Faendal frantically shaking his arms and head no. He cleared his throat. “I thought the snow elves were extinct. You must be very lucky or unlucky. Guess it depends on how you look at it.” He supposed. There was an uncomfortable silence. Soldin looked inside the coffin. “What’s this? Some stone? Looks like a map.” He picked up the stone. “Egh, waste of space in my opinion.”

“I’ll take it.” I said.

“Why? It’s just a stone.”

“It’s more than just a stone. Looks important. I’ll take it” I repeated. Soldin shrugged and handed me the stone which was promptly taken from my hands by Faendal who placed it in his satchel.

“Anyway. I’ll head back to Riverwood to give the claw back. You two continue on. I’m sure there’s a way out and it’s probably closer to Whiterun with how far we’ve gone into the cave.”

“Hey!” Faendal yelled after Soldin as he ran back to the ruins.

“Don’t worry, wood elf! You’ll get your share!” Soldin called back to us.

We followed the stairs up the cavern into a small path. There was an altar where people left offerings. Just past the altar we found ourselves outside. Soldin was right. We were outside but where was Whiterun? We were on the cliff of the mountain in a valley. In the middle of the valley was a large lake. “Where are we?” I asked.

Faendal shook his head and laughed. “I know exactly where we are. I hunt here all the time. We’re on the wrong side of Riverwood to get to Whiterun.”

“So, we’re going to have to go through Riverwood again?” Faendal nodded. We made our way slowly down the cliff. As we made our way through the valley back to Riverwood Faendal pointed out different areas he had taken down an animal. Always a bear it seemed. “I don’t mean to brag but I once took down a bear right here that was 300 yards away. In the snow.”

I chuckled. “Is it always a bear?”

He pretended to be shocked. “No! Sometimes it’s a sabre cat. And once,” he leaned down closer to me, “a troll.” he whispered.

“A troll!” I said in disbelief.

“Of course! I have the skull in my cabin.” He said matter of factly.

“You kept the skull!”

“Trophy.” He puffed out his chest proudly. I couldn’t help but laugh. Soon we found ourselves walking through Riverwood.

“Rhew! I thought you had left long ago! And without saying goodbye to me either.” Ralof walked up to us from the mill.

“I’m sorry, Ralof. Thank you for everything. You saved my life.”

Ralof patted my shoulder, “Don’t thank me, little elf.” Soldin walked out of the Riverwood trader. Shocked to see us standing in the middle of town.

“What are you doing here? I said I’d catch up.”

“We took the long way.” Faendal said dryly.

Soldin laughed and handed Faendal a purse of coins. “Your share as promised. 100 coins. Should help you two get by for a little while.” Soldin nodded at Ralof, “I’ll see you back in Windhelm, friend.”

“Of course!” Ralof replied, “Faendal take care of the little elf. She’s a special one. Little elf, I hope you find something that helps get your memory back. Soldin….. behave yourself.”

“Ah! Sometimes it’s so hard to when a cute girl is by my side.” Soldin exclaimed. He grabbed me around my waist with one of his huge arms. He dropped his arm with a look from Faendal. “I’m kidding, wood elf.” Faendal moved slightly but it was enough to put him between Soldin and me. After all of our goodbyes we left Riverwood for the second and hopefully last time for the day. I looked back at the small town as we left. A woman stood outside the door of the trader and watched us leave. Was that Camilla? When our eyes met I could feel her anger. She turned and went back into the trader. I was curious what had been between her and Faendal. Maybe I’ll ask one day. It wasn’t important right now. Getting to Whiterun was important. Hopefully we will get there before the dragon decides to attack.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
DRAGONBORN?

We made our way down the mountain side following the road that followed the river. The road opened up into a valley. A gorgeous site it was. The city of Whiterun rose up from the distance. It sat atop a large hill in the middle of the valley. The view took my breathe away. “Is this the first time you’re seeing Whiterun?” Soldin asked. I nodded. The landscape was dotted with farms. It looked so cozy. “Ah! Honeymead brewery. Delicious mead. Not as good as Black Briar but good. Occasionally a beauty might be around too. If you know what I mean.” He said with a nudge. Faendal made a sound that sounded like he was suppressing a laugh. I ignored the comment.

At the farm next to the brewery was a giant rampaging through the crops. A group of people were attacking it but it looked like they needed help. I rushed to help them throwing flames at the beast. An arrow whizzed by from behind me sticking into the giant’s stomach. “This isn’t our fight, girl!” Soldin called to me. After the few hits the giant was down.

A woman with war paint smeared across her face walked up to me. “You fight pretty well. You’d make a good shield sister.”

“Shield sister?” I asked.

“We are the companions. We are a noble group of fighters.” She explained.

“Sounds like a waste of time. You should just join the Stormcloaks,” Soldin commented.

“Well, no one asked you.” She said hotly. “If you want to join, talk to Kodlak.” She and the other companions left for the city.

I looked at Faendal, who put his bow away. “I just wanted to help,” I said with confusion.

He shrugged, “I guess they were impressed by your initiative action”

Soldin clapped his hand on my shoulder and pushed me towards the city gate. “They call themselves noble but I guarantee you they have ulterior motives.” He said, “As I said, sounds like a waste of time. If you want to do a noble cause. Join the stormcloaks. Although that archer. I’d like to get to know her.” I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and shook my head. Ralof was right. He is harmless just a little off.

“I think you talk that way to seem like you get a lot of girls.” Faendal commented.

Soldin raised an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? Well, that Camilla girl spent the night at the inn last night if you catch my drift.” He said with a sly smile.

“You bastard!” Faendal punched Soldin causing him to stumble a few paces. Soldin pulled out his mace. Faendal had his sword out. The gate guards were watching us. I jumped into the middle of them.

“Stop! Stop it.” I commanded. “You! Stop antagonizing Faendal!” I said poking Soldin in the chest. “And you!” What should I say? Faendal did have justification to punch Soldin in my opinion. But the situation was escalating quickly. “Calm down.” Soldin and Faendal stared at each other. I was afraid they would ignore me but finally Soldin lowered his mace.

“As I said before I did you a favor. That woman is no good.” Soldin said turning away and heading for the gate. “Also, consider yourself lucky I respect this little elf.” Soldin entered the city leaving us outside. Faendal sheathed his sword and rolled his shoulders.

“He respects you? The way he treats you? Treats all women?” He scoffed. I could only give him a sympathetic smile. I was surprised to hear that this giant nord with a deep scar running down the left side of his face and a blind eye respected me.

We followed after Soldin into the city, “He’s only with us until we talk to the Jarl.” I assured Faendal. i had a feeling that Faendal didn’t quite believe me and honestly I wasn’t so sure myself.

The city of Whiterun was cute. I loved the comfort that the city seemed to have. A small but bustling market made up the lower level of the city. I loved hearing the calls of the market stall owners. Faendal was excited to see another Bosmer at one of the stalls. They began discussing their different hunting styles and places they hunted. “Faendal. The jarl.” I reminded him. He reluctantly followed up the stairs where a giant dead tree dominated the area. I’m sure it was beautiful at one time. A man in front of a statue was preaching quite loudly about someone called Talos. I’ve heard Ralof and Soldin both say this name. “Who’s Talos?” I asked Faendal.

“He was some nord emperor who the Nords say became a god when he died. The Thalmor has banned them from worshipping him.” He explained.

“Who are the Thalmor?” I asked.

“You’re kidding!” He asked. I shook my head. “I’ll explain it another time. When we have some free time.”

Soldin waited for us at the top of the second flight of stairs. “Dragonsreach. The Jarl’s quarters. Let’s get this over with.” Soldin said. He pushed the doors open to the palace. We were inside a grand a hall. Two long tables ran along each side of a long fireplace that sat in the middle of the great hall. Just beyond a man with blonde hair and beard sat on a throne underneath a dragon’s skull. A dark elf ran up to us sword out “What is the meaning of this? Jarl Balgruuf isn’t seeing any visitors.”

“We were at Helgen when the dragon attacked. It was heading this way.” Soldin explained. She looked over the three of us for a moment before allowing us to speak with the jarl.

“What is so important that you have to interrupt my court?” Jarl Balgruuf asked.

“We survived Helgen. It’s most likely destroyed. And the dragon was headed in this direction.” Soldin explained again.

“You were all at Helgen when the dragon attacked?” Jarl Balgruuf asked astonished.

Soldin made sure he knew that Faendal was not with us, “No. Only myself and the snow elf.” Balgruuf’s eyebrows raised at the mention of snow elf.

“Riverwood has asked for your aid, Jarl.” Faendal pipped in.

“Riverwood is in trouble? Irileth, send a group to Riverwood at once!” Balgruuf commanded.

“The jarl of falkreath will think of this as a provocation-” the man standing next to the karl started.

“Would you have the citizens of the hold defenseless?” Irileth demanded.

“Enough! I will not see my people helpless. Send guards to Riverwood at once.” Balgruuf demanded. The dark elf left. “Now. You’ve helped my hold more than you think. There is one more thing I need to ask. Someone with your skills could help my court wizard.” Balgruuf stood up and headed to a small room on the side of the great hall before we could answer. “Farengar, these people can help with your research. Good luck.” He said and left.

Farengar was a weird man. He seemed preoccupied and didn’t realize we were there right away. He wore robes with a hood covering most of his face. The most predominant feature of him that I could see was his mutton chops. I wasn’t sure if they were intentional or if he had just forgotten to shave. “Oh! Yes, you can help me get a stone. Well, when I saw get I mean delve into a ruins where it may or may not be.” He said. There was a conceited tone to his voice.

“Where is this stone? And what’s important about it?” I asked.

“Ah leave the important stuff to me. The stone is in Bleak Falls Barrow. It’s not too far from here.”

Soldin threw up his arms in frustration. “We have to go back!”

“Wait! You mean this stone?” I asked Faendal to take the stone we had placed in his satchel and handed it to Farengar.

“The dragonstone! This is it! You’re cut from a different cloth than most of the brutes Jarl Balgruuf sends me.” farengar exclaimed as he took the dragonstone from Faendal.

“What about an award?” Soldin asked. Soldin didn’t even want to take the stone! I thought.

“Ah, yes. A compensation. Talk to Jarl Balgruuf for that.”

“Farengar!” Irileth’s voice came from outside the small room. She ran in. “A dragon has been spotted! Report to Jarl Balgruuf at once! You three should come too.” She said to us. We followed her up some stairs behind the throne where Balgruuf was talking to a guard.

“You’re here!” Balgruuf exclaimed, “A dragon has been spotted at our watch tower. Go and kill it! You were at Helgen. Maybe you know something that can kill it.” Balgruuf said with hope.

“Killing a dragon! This is more like it!” Soldin expressed. But we didn’t know anything about the dragon! We ran! How can we help? It didn’t make sense, I thought as Soldin ushered me out of Dragonsreach after Irileth. Faendal was always close to my side which made me feel comfort but I couldn’t help but feel a sense of dread. We ran after Irileth and a few guards out the city and toward the smoldering remains of the tower. We were going to attack something that could destroy a tower? That could destroy a whole keep? I felt the whole world was going mad! And Soldin looked like he was at home with this idea. Faendal seemed more unsure but there was a hint of excitement gleaming in his eyes.

“No! Get back! The dragon is still here somewhere!” A guard called out from the tower. The distinct sound of a dragon’s roar echoed through the valley. “Oh, kynareth! Here it comes again!” The dragon swooped in towards the tower and shouted fire. I ran and hid behind a broken wall covering my face into my hands. I was panicking. What could I do to help? I heard the sound of stoneflesh being used. I looked up to see Faendal standing near me. Magic! My panic made me forget about my skills. I stood up and used stoneflesh as well. The dragon landed near us shaking the ground like an earthquake. Once I had my balance I ran to the side of the dragon keeping out of reach of it’s giant mouth and sprayed frost at it. I felt as if nothing was happening but the dragon did seem to move more slowly so I must have been helping in some way. The tail whipped around towards me. I jumped back falling to the ground but avoiding the tail. Arrows rained down onto the beast from the dusk air. I jumped up and started spraying the frost again. I didn’t know what else to do!

The dragon turned towards me. He looked right into my eyes. “Yol toor-” Oh, Auriel! This is it! I’m dead! Soldin jumped onto the dragon’s head and began bashing it with his mace. The dragon tried to shake him off but Soldin clung onto anything he could somehow managing to stay on. “Back up, little elf!” He yelled at me. I ran to the dragon’s side and shot fost into the dragon’s eye. The dragon shook it’s head but again moved more slowly. My frost must be doing that! Soldin slammed his mace into the dragon’s eye. It cried out and fell for a moment.

“The dragon is weakened! Let’s finish this!” Irileth called out. The guards charged at the dragon with their weapons drawn. Swords, axes, maces all stabbed and beat the dragon. I continued to spray the frost until my head began to feel light. “Dovahkiin no!” The dragon cried out as he fell at last.

“The dragon! It’s dead!” The guards cheered. But something started to happen. The dragon began to glow as if it were on fire. The glowing fire felt as if it was rushing into me. I felt the power and the knowledge of the dragon entering my body. It scared me and yet seemed so familiar. Once the glowing disappeared only the bones of the dragon remained. Soldin towered over me. Was he there the whole time? He winked at me when I looked up at him.

“FUS!” He shouted. A force pushed the dragon bones further away from us.

“By the gods! The dragonborn!” The guards surrounded Soldin looking at him in a new light. As if he was a god himself. Dragonborn? The guards described to us Irileth, Faendal and I what the dragonborn was since we weren’t nords.

“Dragonborn.” I tasted the word. It seemed so familiar but I didn’t know why.

“Dragonborn or not. Here is a dead dragon. We need to let the Jarl know about it.” Irileth claimed. “You should go since you’re something special to the Nords.” She said to Soldin.

He shrugged and patted me on the back. “Ready to go see the Jarl, little elf?” He asked.

I shook my head. “No. I - I need to rest my head for a little while. I just want to get some fresh air out here for a while.”

He patted my head and started towards Whiterun. “I’ll wait for you at the Bannered Mare then. Don’t forget!” He said as he walked away.

Faendal stood next to me. We watched Soldin disappear into the darkness. “Where do you want to go?” He asked gently. I didn’t know where I wanted to go. I just needed some time to think without being around a group of people. Too much had happened in the last few days. I haven’t been able to just stop for a moment. I started walking towards Whiterun but I kept off the path walking through the valley below the city. Faendal followed close behind. He didn’t interrupt the silence which I was thankful for but then…… I’m sure he had a lot on his mind too. I bet he didn’t plan on leaving Riverwood or what happened between him and Camila. He must have cared a lot for her.

There was a small stream that flowed away from the city. I followed it towards the city stopping at a small pond near the wall. I leaned over the water and watched the reflections of the moon and northern lights. It was beautiful. A dragonborn absorbs the souls of dragons. Everyone thought Soldin was the dragonborn. But what had that feeling been earlier? And his winking? He knew something. Knew more than he let us thought. He did always seem intrigued by my actions. The shouting in the Helgen keep that seemed to make the soldier burst into flames. The glowing words inside the barrow. He also seemed to know what the dragon written language was. Was this why he wanted to travel with me?

What had he shouted at the tower? Fus? That was what was written on the wall. Did he know how to shout before? Did I have the power to shout? Was what I did before in Helgen shouting? Could I shout before I lost my memories? I was so confused. So many unanswered questions and no way that I knew of to have them answered. I glanced at Faendal. He had his back to me. Must be deep in thought as well. I looked back at the water, “Fus.” I said lightly. The water rippled. On the other side of the small pond dust flew into the air. Did I do that? I thought excitedly. I stood up and stretched. “Are you ready to go back into the city? Sleep sounds great. And food too!” We hadn’t eaten anything since the breakfast he made that morning.

Faendal turned and smiled “Sure, let’s go” No matter how kind, gentle or genuine his smile was it couldn’t hide the sadness that always seemed to be behind his eyes.

We walked up the path to the city when the ground began to quake. Dragon?! “Dovahkiin!!!!”

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
THE BANNERED MARE

The quake ended and the shout dissipated. Everyone around seemed on edge. We watched the skies waiting for what we thought was a dragon but none came. The guards sheathed their weapons after a minute and continued their patrols. “I don’t think it was anything.” Faendal said uncertain. I relaxed as much as I could which wasn’t much since we had battled a dragon just moments ago. We continued up the stone path to the city gate passing by a few guards as they made their rounds. “No lollygagging!” One of the gardes stated as we passed.

we entered the city. The streets were quiet. Everyone was either in their house or at the tavern. Only a few stragglers, guards, and the street beggar walked the streets. Ahead dominating the market was a large wooden building. the lanterns around it gave it a welcoming glow. a sign above the door said “The Bannered Mare” with a horse bucking underneath the words. Faendal and I entered the tavern and was greeted by the owner behind a counter. “Welcome! Pull up a chair! We just added logs to the fire so it’s nice and warm.”

The tavern was crowded. People were drinking from tankards and dancing to the music of a bard. The tavern was dominated by a large firepit in the middle of the room. Two large benches sat on the sides of the pit. A couple of small tables and chairs sat around the other sides of the pit. Chairs and tables dotted the rest of the tavern. Most of the seats were occupied. We found an empty small table next to the fire. Faendal took in a deep breath when we sat. whether it was to smell the delicious aromas of food and mead or from exhaustion, i wasn’t sure. Without Soldin around I was aware for the first time just how quiet of a companion Faendal was. “Can I get you something to drink or eat?” A pretty dark skinned woman asked as she approached us.

Faendal’s mood perked up at the sound of food. “Mead and venison.”

The woman glanced at me, “Oh, um the same but also something green?”

“We have the best grilled leeks in town.” she exclaimed with a smile. She glanced at Faendal.

“What? Huh?” Faendal was flustered as if he had been deep in thought, “Oh, no. Not for me.” She left at that leaving us in silence. He watched the fire flicker in the pit. I studied his features more closely now that we weren’t running through ruins or chasing dragons. The way his long silver hair framed his face, his ears that poked through, His dark almond eyes that reflected everything he watched. He was so handsome to me. But how old was he, I wondered. How old am I? And what did he do before Riverwood? Why did he stay in Riverwood? I was pretty sure I knew the answer to the last question. I realized then that we had met only a day ago. My face went red and my heart raced.

“Are you ok? You look scared.” He commented. Scared! This was the moment the pretty woman brought our food and mead. I grabbed the tankard and downed it. I didn’t want him to look into my eyes and see what I was thinking. His eyes widened in surprise when i put down the empty tankard.

“I’m fine.” I squeaked. a second tankard of mead was placed on the table next to me. I looked up to see the pretty woman wink at me. Did she realize what was going through my head? I must have been staring at him like a girl with a puppy crush! I picked up the second tankad and began drinking the mead. Faendal’s eyebrows raised. My mind wandered to the crumpled mass of a man that i had woken up next to. Basilio. I wanted to find out who he was. A frown spread across my face.

“Feeling sick??” Faendal asked. I shook my head. “That’s surprising.” He mentioned with a smile.

“I want to find Basilio. He might know who I am.” I said.

“Basilio?” Faendal asked with a frown. Something flashed in his eyes. Jealousy? I explained all I knew which wasn’t much. “It sounds like he could be an Imperial soldier. If so they may have taken him to Solitude.” Solitude. That name had a familiar ring to my ears.

“i want to go there.” I nodded. My head was starting to feel woozy.

“We’ll head there in the morning after you’ve slept off all that mead.” He laughed. I joined the laughter. It was nice to relax and to see Faendal actually smile. My hand rested lightly on his.

A chair scraped across the floor. soldin plopped down at our table. “So you showed up!” He called out. My hand moved from Faendal’s at Soldin’s appearance. “It’s time to have some mead!”

“Our share of the reward?” Faendal stressed.

“oh, yes, yes. You’re reward. Not going to let that slide are you, wood elf?” Soldin took out a purse of coins and handed it to Faendal. “250 gold pieces. Should get you through a few nights with a warm meal.” Full tankards replaced our empties ones on the table. Soldin picked one up and took a large swig from it. I picked one up but the tankard left my hands before I could take a drink. Faendal placed it back onto the table.

“She’s had enough for the night.” Faendal stated.

“Nonsense! You haven’t had enough mead until you’re falling out of your seat!” Soldin retorted. That tension was back.

While I would like to have another mead I agreed with Faendal. “We do have a long day tomorrow.” Soldin shrugged and grabbed the tankard for himself.

“You’re not going to join those companions are you?” Soldin asked with a tint of disgust in his voice. I shook my head. “Good! Waste of time. If you want to do something noble you should join the Stormcloaks.”

“stormcloaks? The blue uniforms?” I asked. Soldin nodded and explained the war to me. “It doesn’t sound like my war. we’re going to Solitude to look for the man I woke up next to.” Soldin glanced at Faendal. But it was only a second.

“You’re going to the headquarters of the army that tried to chop your head off?” Soldin asked. I nodded. “You’re either brave or stupid. But it looks like our companionship ends here. Shame. I was hoping to get to know you a lot better.” Soldin began to laugh. We enjoyed the singing and merriment of the night until Soldin bade us farewell. “Next time we meet I hope we’re on the same side of the battlefield.

Faendal helped me to the room. I had trouble walking and stumbled into the room. I turned and wrapped my arms around his neck and laughed. “You are a lot worse than I thought you would be.” He said.

“I snuck a third tankard.” I confided in him. His arms were wrapped around my waist. I looked into his eyes and wanted to taste his lips. But I was so tired. I slumped onto his chest and felt him chuckle. He helped me to the bed where I curled up to sleep off the mead.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
IMPERIALS AND BARDS

I awoke with a throbbing head. One too many tankards. I should have listened to Faendal and not taken that last tankard of mead. My eyes shot open. Oh, Auriel! Faendal! I tried to kiss him. After only knowing him for a day. I was so embarrassed! Faendal laid in the bed next to me. His hands behind his head. He was gazing at the ceiling. His eyes glanced towards me. He must have heard me stir. “Good morning, I bet you don’t feel the greatest!” He said cheerfully. I buried my head into my pillow. He laughed.

“About last night…..” I trailed off as I looked back at him.

He gave me an inquisitive look “What about last night?”

“I’m sorry?” I asked more than said.

Faendal studied me for a moment before he fell into laughter. “Sorry? Nothing happened last night.” I instantly felt relieved and disappointed at the same time. The disappointment must have shown on my face. Faendal brushed my hair behind my ear and left his hand on my cheek. We locked eyes and watched each other. My heart beat so fast I was afraid it might burst through my chest. His hair was in his face. I wanted to brush it like he had mine but I couldn’t move. After a long minute he sighed. His hand left my cheek and he pushed himself off the bed. He began strapping his armor on.

I frowned. I knew why nothing would come between us. It was too soon since he learned that Camilla had believed the fake letter that he had supposedly written. That she seemingly (if you could believe Soldin) never really cared for him the way he did for her. How that must feel. Their actual relationship was still unknown to me and I may never know. But I could see he felt conflicted. I felt bad that I was causing these conflictions. I’m not going to put him in this type of situation anymore. The idea hurt but it was for the best.

We left the Bannered Mare after we got ready and had a small breakfast, jerky and cheese. Outside the city was a small stable. A man was connecting on of his horses to a carriage when we walked up. “Hi! can we hire a carriage?” Faendal asked.

“Sure! Where would you like to go?”

“Solitude.”

“Climb in back and we’ll be off.” The man pulled himself up into the front of the carriage. Faendal jumped into the back and helped me in. The last place I wanted to be was in a carriage. It brought back the memory of Helgen. I moved my arms around making sure they were indeed not bound. Faendal watched me and chuckled. We lurched slowly away from the city. I watched as the large Dragonsreach slowly disappeared. The man driving the cart sang a song about a man named Ragnar the Red. As the song ended I gasped and laughed at the absurdity of the song.

“Have you never heard the song before?” Faendal asked me amused at my response.

I shook my head, “No. This is the first time.”

“Oh, I don’t have a singing voice. You should ask the bards at the college to sing it for you.” the drive called back to me.

“It’s a pretty good song…. for a Nord song.” Faendal added. I smiled and watched the landscape slowly pass by. The gently rolling green hills of the valley went on for miles. All sorts of animals ran by from time to time.

A farming village appeared in the distance. A cute little place. I watched the townsmen till the land as we rode by. “This is Rorikstead.”

“Where ragnar the Red is from?” I asked.

“Why yes. He did ride into Whiterun from here.” The driver said with a chuckle.

“That was quite a ride.” I declared. We had been on the road for a couple hours now based on the sun’s location. The valley descended into a second valley after the farm. The path followed the river that zig-zagged through the green hills. A gentle breeze blew across the valley. Ahead a bridge emerged. It was old. Ancient compared to the other bridges I had seen so far. a dragon’s head made of stone sat atop the bridge.

“Dragons Bridge.” The driver pointed out. The village on the other side of the bridge was small. Smaller than Riverwood. “We’re not far from Solitude now.” It really didn’t take long to get to SOlitude from the small village. The carriage stopped at the bottom of the hill. Towers loomed over us. “It’s just up the hill.” The driver explained.

Butterflies fluttered in my stomach. What would I do when I spoke to Basilio? What if it turned out we were together? What would Faendal do? Maybe that’s why he frowned last night when I said I wanted to see Basilio. But if anyone can tell me who I am it’s him.

There was a loud crowd just inside the town. It was so crowded we had to squeeze through the bodies. They were yelling, booing. “What’s happening?” I asked. I couldn’t see over the mass of people. Faendal looked over to where everyone’s attention was and shook his head. He pulled me through the crowd. “It’s an execution.” He finally stated.

My stomach dropped. “I don’t want to see.”

“Was this Basilio a Nord?” Faendal asked.

“I don’t think so.” I said unsure.

“Then it’s not him.”

We continued further into the city not really sure where to go. “Have you ever been here before?” I asked him.

“No. I’ve never really left the Whiterun hold since I’ve been in Skyrim.” Faendal explained. What a surprise! I thought. He seemed so interested in exploring those ruins and was so quick to leave the village. I couldn’t see him as the type of person to just settle down. Faendal stopped a guard and asked where to find the Imperial soldiers. Once we had the information we started in the direction the guard pointed us to. We followed a winding path that lead to the castle. A blacksmith worked a piece of metal to our right. The sounds of soldiers training drifted to us from the courtyard of the castle.

“What do you need?” A man in steel armor was walking up to us when we entered the courtyard. My jaw dropped. He was the captain that had me arrested! Who bashed my head in when I tried to escape! “You!” He recognized me, “You survived Helgen and had the audacity to come here! I should have you arrested again!”

“I-I didn’t hurt him!” I cried out. “I only came to see how Basilio is. I want to talk to him.”

The captain glared at me. “He’s name is Basilio.” He thought about the name. They didn’t know his name? “That’s too bad. He hasn’t awaken yet. You’re lucky he’s still alive or I would arrest you right here.”

“Can you tell me anything at all? Can I see him at least?”

“The only thing we know for sure is that he is an unknown soldier.” Unknown!? “And if you don’t stop asking questions and get out of here you will regret it. I am showing a lot of restraint to a murderer.”

I couldn’t take it anymore. Tears fell down my cheek. I ran away. Running through the streets of the city. I was soon lost. I was alone. Strangers walked around me as I studied where I was. Stone stairs lead up to buildings. The buildings in the city looked very similar to each other. I found a bench and sat. I leaned back against the stone wall and began to softly sing to myself. A song with sweet words that comforted me.

“What a lovely song.” A deeper voice said from behind me. A tall man with tanned skin walked down the stairs next to the bench and sat next to me. He was nicely dressed with short dirty blonde hair slicked back and a beard tied into a knot. “What is this song you were singing?”

“I’m not sure. It’s just something I remember but I don’t know where.” I replied. “I….. I have amnesia.” I added.

The man thought for a moment stroking his beard with his hand. “Would you mind writing down the words of the song.” He asked. I agreed. “I’m Viarmo. The headmaster of the bard’s college.”

The driver had told me about the bard’s college. “Do you know Ragnar the Red?” I asked.

Viarmo gave a hearty laugh “Everyone knows Ragnar the Red!” He stood up. “The college is right behind us. I’ll get some paper and a quill.” He started to climb the stairs but stopped half way up. “Actually how about you come in. Having a table will make it much easier to write down the lyrics. Also if you want, you should join the college. You have a voice for singing.” I agreed to follow him but wasn’t sure about joining the college.

“Rhew!” I turned to see Faendal running up to me. “Are you ok? I thought I’d never find you.” I nodded but I honestly didn’t feel better. I felt lost. Talking to Viarmo helped me not think about it. I explained to Faendal what we were doing. We followed Viarmo into the college so I could write down the song for him.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
BREATHING CAMILA

Viarmo and I leaned over a small table with a piece of parchment, inkwell, and a quill. Viarmo wrote out the lyrics as I sung them out for him. The main room we were in was covered in bookshelves which were also covered in books. A lecture could be heard from another area of the building. Faendal browsed through the books before finally picking one up and thumbing through it. I taught the tune to Viarmo. It was a simple tune but pretty. “This lyrical style. It’s old. Ancient really. How did you learn this song?” He asked.

“Ancient?” I asked.

“She’s a snow elf.” Faendal chipped in from across the room.

“A snow elf!” Viarmo exclaimed in disbelief.

“Why does everyone react like that when they learn about my race!?” I asked annoyed. Faendal looked uncomfortable.

“Snow elves disappeared centuries ago. Not much is known about them.” Viarmo explained. “And one appears now. With amnesia at that!” He sounded way to excited about this.

“Is there anything here that could tell me more about snow elves?” I asked. I already felt lost not being able to talk to Basilio. Now there’s the fact that no one knows about my race!

Viarmo shook his head. “Unfortunately we don’t have any books on snow elves.” I deflated in the chair. It was useless. What was there to do now? “But you could try the College of Winterhold. They have one of the largest libraries in Skyrim. I’m sure there will be something there.”

“The college of Winterhold?”

“You’d probably like it, Rhew. It’s where mages go to get training.” Faendal commented glancing up from his book.

A dim light of hope! “Yes! Let’s go there!”

Faendal sighed but smiled. “You really know how to pick the furthest locations to go.”

“Where is it?” I asked with a frown.

“If you have a map I can point it out for you.” Viarmo suggested. I didn’t have a map. I looked at Faendal. He shook his head. He didn’t have one either. “No? Well, there’s an extra somewhere around here.” Viarmo dug through a basket full of rolled up parchments and returned with a yellowed parchment. He rolled it out on the table. So this was what Skyrim looked like I thought as I examined the map. “Here is Solitude.” Viarmo said pointing at a point on the map. “And here is Winterhold.” His finger moved to the opposite end of the map. “It’s a dreary ugly place. The only thing there is the college. So if you go there. Good luck. But if you ever want to join our college the offer will always be here.”

“Thank you but I want to learn more about who I am.” I said. Viarmo gifted us the map and soon we were out the bard’s college and back in the streets of Solitude. The sun was set low in the sky. We were in the college longer than I thought we were. “Should we leave for Winterhold in the morning?” I asked Faendal.

“How about we spend another day here.” Faendal suggested. I looked at him questioning his thought. “Do you really want to ride in a carriage again so soon?” I smiled and shook my head. No. One extra day wouldn’t hurt. and maybe. Just maybe Basilio would wake up. We walked to the tavern near the town entrance.

“The Winking Skeever.” I wrinkled my nose at the name. “I prefer the bannered mare.” The tavern was a lot larger than the Bannered Mare. Columns separated the large room making it seem there were multiple rooms. Tables and chairs were scattered everywhere. There were a few fireplaces throughout the tavern. At the counter Faendal and I ordered food and mead and found a secluded table to sit at.

We drank and ate as the bard played an upbeat tune. “Not drinking your mead as fast as yesterday.” Faendal pointed out.

“I think I’ll just keep at the same pace as you tonight.” I teased.

“You think you could keep at the same pace as me?” He challenged.

“20 septims I can.” I wagered him. He looked at me skeptically.

“Do you even have 20 septims?”

“Of course I do! Part of the reward money is mine.” I pointed out.

Ha laughed, “So it is! 20 septims!” Soon our table had a fresh supply of mead. Tankard after tankard we drank throughout the night. He made me smile with his wild hunting stories.

“I don’t mean to brag,” He started leaning in towards me. “But I once killed a bear from 300 yards away. In the snow!”

“I think you told me that before.” I grinned. Faendal had that glazed look of the mead going to his head. I’m sure I didn’t look any better.

“What about the time I shot down a troll?” He inquired with a proud grin. I laughed and shook my head. He began to tell a wild story of sneaking up on a troll in the mountains in the middle of a snow storm. “I stepped on a stick! A stick! I never step on sticks. The troll heard the snap and jumped and flailed his arms like a wild man. He charged at me but I stood my ground and let loose an arrow. It hit him in the chest. Sunk all the way to the feathers but he kept charging! A second arrow hit him in the stomach. He still ran for me. I had to drop my bow and take out my dagger.” He grabbed his dagger from his boot and hurled it into the table. The dagger stuck into the wood. “I probably stabbed it one hundred times before it fell.”

“One hundred!” I cried out in disbelief.

“Hundred,” He repeated. “When he fell I didn’t have a scratch on me.” He declared triumphantly. I clapped for him. The story may be embellished, it most likely was, but he could tell fascinating stories. He pulled out his dagger from the table and placed it back in his boot. We continued drinking mead and telling stories (well I listened to his stories) until the barkeep shooed us to our room.

We stumbled into the room and fell onto the bed laughing. He placed his hand on my face and pulled my head towards his. His lips gently brushed against mine. I pushed into him and our lips locked. Gentle and passionate kisses. His hand travelled to the back of my head. His fingers tangled in my hair. He pulled me in closer. I couldn’t get enough of his sweet taste. “Camila.” He breathed between kisses. My stomach dropped. I pulled away from him. I told myself that we couldn’t do this and the mead had gone to my head. I frowned at him. “Rhew? What’s wrong?” He asked concerned. Had the mead gone to his head? Did he not realize what he had called me?

“You-” I hesitated. “You just….. her name…..” He looked confused. I don’t think he realized what he did. I sighed. “It’s late. We should get some rest.” Before he could answer I curled up on a corner of the bed and choked back the few tears that had formed.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
EXPLORING SOLITUDE

The night’s sleep was restless. I should have had a good sleep with all the mead that was in my belly but the incident had me tossing and turning throughout the night. Faendal was still asleep when I sat up. I jumped out of bed quietly and shuffled through the satchel gathering a tunic and leather suede pants. A bath was next to our room. I entered it and stripped. The steam from the bath was inviting. I sunk into the tub until only the top of my head was visible.

I was upset. Not just at Faendal but myself as well. Only two days had gone by since we met. What did I expect to happen? That he would just forget about her once we left the town? How stupid could I be? I was beating myself up. I dipped my head completely under the water and stayed there until I could not hold my breathe any longer. I wanted to scrub the images of last night, the memories from my head. Ironic. I was searching for my memories and here was one I wanted to get rid of!

I finally left the tub when the water started to chill. I dressed in the tunic and pants. They were a little too large for me but I was becoming used to the fact that I would probably never find clothes that actually fit me. I headed for the room dreading when I would have to face Faendal. Maybe he was still asleep. No, I was in the bath for a very long time. He has to be awake. Suddenly I was very happy he had suggested us staying an extra day. Riding in a carriage with Faendal the entire day would have been a horrible idea. I decided I would spend the day exploring the city by myself. It would give me some extra time to think and forget about what happened.

I entered our room. Faendal was sitting at a small table near the bed eating a piece of jerky. Does he ever eat anything besides meat? “Hey! Are you alright?” He asked. His face wrinkled with worry.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t I be?” I replied irked. I sat on the edge of the bed and started to pull on my leather boots.

Faendal fell silent for a moment before continuing. “Last night.” He hesitated. Trying to remember? I wandered. “I’m not sure what I did but I want to apologize.” He finished.

I glanced up from my boots. He wasn’t wearing his armor today either. No point, really. He wore a loose green tunic. His hair was tied up in a high ponytail. He was so handsome. No! Stop it, Rhew! No time to become smitten with him again. You’re mad at him! I reminded myself. “Do you remember what happened?”

He leaned back into his chair and glanced at the ceiling thinking of last night. “We kissed.” He started, “And then you stopped it.” He looked back at me. “If it was forced….. I’m sorry.”

I stood up and tapped my boots on the floor to adjust them. “The kiss was not the reason I stopped.” I clarified. He looked even more confused now. I went to the satchel and pulled out an apple. “Don’t feel remorse for that.” So he doesn’t remember. I dug through a coin purse and grabbed 20 septims. “The money from our bet. I believe I won.” I gloated.

He smiled. “Sure”

With the gold in my pocket and apple in my hand I waved at Faendal, “I’ll see you tonight then.”

“Wait! What?” He asked bewildered.

“I just want to spend some time alone. Don’t worry your handsome little face. I’m not leaving you for good. I’ll be back.” I told him. He frowned but nodded. I turned and left the room. I practically ran out the inn. Oh, gods! I called him handsome, I realized. I’ve kissed him! Of course, he knows I think he’s handsome. I reassured myself.

Next to the inn was a small shop, Angeline’s Aromatics. Some sweet smelling scents would be nice, I thought. Inside the shop was an elderly lady. “Do you sell perfumes?” I asked.

“Oh yes! We don’t have the selection we used to but there are still a few left.” She beamed. She took out a small vial and handed it to me. “I bet you’ll like this one. Dragon’s tongue, lavender, and just a hint of honey.” I took off the top and sniffed. It smelled sweet and floral. It would be so lovely to smell nice.

“How much for it?” I asked hoping it wasn’t more than 20 septims.

“Oh, take it!” She insisted.

“I couldn’t.”

“Sure you can. Most people who come here are looking for a healing potion since the war began. It’s nice to have someone interested in my perfumes. Go ahead. It’s yours.” She smiled sweetly. I thanked her and carried the vial out the store as if I was holding a precious stone. I bet Faendal would love the smell. No! I can’t think of him.

Next to the shop was the path leading to the castle. I made sure to avoid it. An old water well was surrounded by fruit, fish, and meat stalls. I browsed through the lively market munching on my apple. It was nice getting lost in the crowd. The owners of the stalls yelled over the crowd enticing people to buy their produce. I bought a bottle of spiced wine from one of the stalls and pushed my way out of the crowd.

Under a bridge was a gate. No one seemed to enter it but it didn’t look like people couldn’t enter. My curiosity peaked and I headed inside. At the end of the tunnel were winding stairs. I took these stairs and came out at the top of the bridge. The view was magnificent. You could see the whole city, the swamp, and the mountains in the distance. I leaned against the wall and watched the view. Below I noticed Faendal walking through the crowded street. He glanced up towards the bridge and our eyes met. I ducked down behind the wall. Did he see me watching him? I was afraid to look over the wall. That he might still be there. “What are you doing, Rhew?” Faendal asked. I glanced over to where his voice came from. He was standing at the entrance of the stairs. He did see me!

I jumped up. “Ah! Nothing! I was just enjoying the sights!” I sputtered. I leaned over the wall and rested my head on my arms as if that’s how I’d been the whole time. I heard Faendal chuckle.

“You seem a lot better.” He mentioned. I did actually feel much better.

I nodded, “Yes, but I would like a little more time to myself.”

“Of course,” He replied with a smile but there was a little bit of disappointment in his voice. He started to leave but I called his name to stop him. “What is it?” He asked turning back to me. I shoved the spiced wine into his hands. “What’s this?”

“A gift,” I responded. He held the spiced wine by the neck and studied it.

“Ah, thanks” He said with an uneasy smile and headed down the stairs. He had his bow and quiver strapped to his back. Did he plan to do some hunting today? Why did I tell him it was a gift!

I watched the bustle of the city for a little longer before leaving the bridge. The stairs continued spiraling down. I was curious where they led and followed them. I soon found myself outside under the city near a wharf. I slowly walked to the docks and sat on the edge. The city was beautiful here built on a cape that extended over the river. I sat here and watched the boats slowly enter and exit the harbor until the sun sank low in the sky.

i finally left the docks and made my way back to the city. My stomach growled reminding me I’d only had an apple the entire day. Inside the Winking Skeever I ordered a bowl of soup and a water and began to eat. A minute hadn’t gone by when Faendal plopped into the chair across from me. He dropped a bundle of skins on the floor next to him. “You killed all those animals today?” I asked stunned.

He nodded “And you thought I was embellishing my experiences.” He placed the spiced wine I gave him earlier on the table. “This has confused me more than anything else today. A gift?” he questioned.

i shook my head. “I really just didn’t want to hold it all day.”

“And you pawned it off on me to carry,” He finished. i quickly scooped a spoonful of soup into my mouth so I couldn’t answer. I tried to stay mad at him but I could not. He was too cute. “What did I do last night to upset you?’ he asked. I choked on a spoonful of soup. Was he reading my mind?

“It’s not important.” I muttered. “Don’t worry-”

“My handsome little face?” Faendal quipped. I felt my face turn red. I was so embarrassed. I grabbed my tankard and took a long gulp to hide my face. “You know, you can be saucy when you are upset. I kind of like it.” He mentioned with a smirk. “But I would like to know what I did.” He repeated thoughtfully.

I placed the tankard on the table and studied him. “You’re not going to give up until I tell you, are you?” I questioned. He shook his head with a slight smile. I sighed. I didn’t think it was a good idea to tell him and i told him this.

“I want to know.” He pouted.

I took a deep breathe. “You called out Camila’s name when we kissed.” I rushed. He looked completely flabbergasted. I went back to my soup as he sat deep in thought.

“Why aren’t you furious about this?” He finally responded. I told him my reasons. He was drunk. The short amount of time that had passed. “Well, I am extremely despicable for doing that. I am sorry.”

“It’s ok.” I assured him but I wasn’t so sure myself. The feelings I felt this morning seemed to return. Guilt, anger, and grief all seemed to show on his face. I knew it wasn’t a good idea to tell him. Hopefully Winterhold will treat us better than Solitude has.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
A DREARY AND LONELY HOLD

We rented a carriage to Winterhold. The driver was not too pleased with the idea of taking us all the way there but a few extra septims helped him agree. We took a different path from before. The stone path cut through the swamp. The swamp was much prettier from the top of Solitude, I thought. Soon the landscape was covered in snow. A blizzard made it hard to see much of the scenery. Faendal watched out the back of the carriage out at the scenery. He was lost deep in thought. He had not said a word since our conversation the night before. There was a sad longing in his eyes as he gazed out into the snow. It made me angry and bitter to see him that way. And being bitter at him acting like this made me angry at myself. “You elves are the quietest group I have ever had.” the driver told us. Faendal only grunted a response.

That letter that Soldin had delivered. It had said such a horrible thing. I looked at Faendal. “That letter.” I started. He glanced at me. “The fake one. Who would write something like that?” Faendal stretched long and leaned back in the bench.

“Oh, that’s no secret. It was obviously that nord, Sven.” Faendal bristled at his name. He really didn’t like this Nord but that name sounded so familiar. Sven.

“That was the man that asked Soldin to do a favor when we arrived in Riverwood.” I blurted out.

Faendal nodded. “There’s no other person who would do something like that.” He paused. “Well I thought of writing a fake letter too. But I tore it up after writing it out.”

“That’s so childish.” Faendal looked hurt. I don’t care if he’s hurt by what I said. It was childish. “Why would you two do this?”

“Ah. Camila and I were together but it wasn’t really unknown that she was also with Sven. What she sees in him I’ll never know.” He scoffed. “He claims to be a bard but he’s just a drunk who never does his actual job at the mill.” If he was a bard he could probably whisper sweet nothings in her ear. Every woman likes that. I decided it was best not to say this to Faendal.

“But why would you stay with her if you knew she was seeing someone else?” I inquired.

“That’s an obvious answer.” Faendal commented.

“What?” I asked confused. Faendal didn’t answer. He just watched me as I tried to think why a man or mer would allow a woman to treat him that way.

“She’s good in bed.” The driver finally called back.

My eyes grew wide realizing what the driver meant. “Oh! Oooooooh! Ew!” I wrinkled my nose.

“Ew!?” Faendal grinned and leaned in towards me. “Are you telling me you never?”

I gawked at him while I tried to think of the answer. Have I? Of course I didn’t know the answer. “A lady never reveals such sensitive information.” I finally stated.

“You don’t know because of your amnesia.” He voiced bluntly.

“I agree with Soldin. He did you the favor when he gave Camila that letter.” I said changing the subject away from me. Faendal only raised his eyebrow in an inquisitive look. “Well” I continued, “If she was so shallow to not care about you by seeing another man while being with you what makes you think she’s going to stay with only Sven now that you are out of the picture. She doesn’t sound very trusting to me.”

Faendal exhaled slowly. “Yeah. You’re probably right.” With that Faendal went back to watching the snow. His look of longing was replaced with a pensive look. At least I got him to think about the situation practically. The road up ahead intersected with a second road. To the right a small town peaked through the trees and snow. The driver snapped the reins causing the horse to leap forward and run. I cried out as I fell to the floor of the carriage. Faendal helped me up. “Hey! What was that for!?” Faendal shouted at the driver when the horse slowed down to a trot.

“Sorry! That town is cursed. People there have nightmares every night. I’m not catching that curse.” The driver explained. I looked back at the town. It was no longer visible from where we were. A cursed town? The snow died down and I was able to see the sky for the first time since we left Solitude. It was already night. The moon dominated the starry sky. It was beautiful. The moon was high in the sky by the time we reached Winterhold. Viarmo was right when he said the town was dreary. It was smaller than Riverwood and looked like it had been forgotten about. “Well, here you are. No reason to ever come here though.”

Faendal and I made our way to the tavern. The only building in the town that looked slightly welcoming. “The Frozen Hearth” the sign outside the tavern read. I hope it’s not frozen! This was the coldest place we had been yet. Inside we rented a room and went straight to the room. Faendal collapsed on the bed and was asleep in seconds. I did not feel like socializing with the couple of people that were in the tavern so I followed Faendal and fell asleep as well.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
ENTERING THE COLLEGE

The sun came earlier than I wanted it to. Faendal gently shook me awake. I glanced at him and threw the covers over my head. “You should be excited today.” he chuckled. I heard him move around in the room. I peaked from the covers. Faendal was gathering our items. How can he be up so early? I reluctantly drug myself out of the bed and began getting ready. He’s right. I should be more excited. If I can’t find any information about my race at least I can train my mage skills. After a quick breakfast we left the tavern and headed for the college. It dominated over the broken town.

A high elf with auburn hair stopped us at the bridge of the college. “Welcome. If you would like to join the college you need to show that you have the aptitude to learn magic.” I used my frost and flames spells which seemed to satisfy her. She watched Faendal awaiting him to show her something.

“I don’t wish to join the college.” He explained.

“Then you may not enter.” She told him.

I grimaced. I wanted him to be there with me. “He’s my bodyguard.”

“Your body guard!” She exclaimed irate. “Are you royalty or rich?”

“No….”

“Then why would you need a bodyguard?”

Faendal sighed exasperated. “Here. Watch.” He cast stoneflesh and a small healing spell on himself. He sent a calming spell at me. The anxiety I felt melted away. My muscles relaxed and I began to sink to the ground. Faendal held me up from under my arms. “Most people aren’t so susceptible to this spell, Rhew.”

“Why did you cast it on me?” I asked groggy.

He grinned. “It’s cute how prone you are to it.”

She raised an eyebrow at us. “If you’re done flirting I will show you the grounds.” She lead us up the bridge to the towering college. Parts of the bridge was collapsed. Faendal had me ride on his back so I didn’t accidently walk off the edge because of the calming spell. “My name is Faralda. I teach destruction magic here at the college.” She explained as we made our way to the college.

“I am not interested in joining the college as a student.” Faendal restated. “I’m here to help research the Snow Elves with Rhew.”

“You will need to speak with the arch-mage about staying here.” She instructed Faendal.

“I’m interested in destruction, restoration, and conjuration.” I piped up.

“Then I shall help you learn destruction. You will want to speak to Colette Marence for restoration and Phinis Gestor for conjuration.” Faendal dropped me down from his back once we reached the gates of the college. We walked into a large courtyard that was dominated by a statue of a mage. The college was breathe taking compared to the tiny pitiful town of Winterhold. “Looks like it’s your lucky day. Both the arch-mage and Mirabelle Ervine, the Master Wizard. She will show you around.” Faralda introduced us to the Arch-Mage and Master Wizard and left us to them.

“Welcome to the college.” Mirabelle said to us, “I’ll show you to the dorms and the lecture hall.”

“I actually need to speak to the Arch-Mage. I won’t be long, Rhew.” Faendal told us. Mirabelle gave me a tour of the grounds. She showed me where I would sleep and where the classes would take place. Finally she gave me a schedule of when the different classes would take place.

“I heard there was a large library here.” I stated after the tour. I was really the most excited about finding anything on the Snow Elves.

“Yes. Urag gro-Shub takes care of the library. You can talk to him about any books you might need.” I followed the directions Mirabelle gave me and entered a large room covered in bookshelves. The musty smell of old books filled my nose. It was nice. There were a few other people reading in the library but most of the library stood empty. A strange looking man with dark green skin, a white beard, and a large overbite sat at a desk at the back of the library.

“Who are you? New here? I better not see you mistreating any of these books.” he stated bluntly in a deep voice.

I felt intimidated by him. “Um, I was actually wondering if you could help me. I wanted to find books on the Falmer. Er, the snow elves.”

“The Falmer, huh? And why would you be interested in them?” He asked. He watched me for a minute. I wasn’t sure how to respond. “So, you are a Falmer.” He finally stated. “I bet most think you’re a Bosmer with the red hair. Let me see what books we have on them.” he stood up and began browsing the bookshelves taking out a book every so often. I wasn’t sure if I should walk with him or stay put. He finally came back with a group of books and placed them on the desk. “These should get you started.”

I picked up the books and thanked him. I hurriedly went to an empty table and checked out what he had given me. The Falmer: A study, Ghosts in a Storm, Pocket Guide to the Empire, Staubin’s Diary, and Stromm’s Diary. Only five books. I felt a little disappointed. I decided to start with the most obvious book, The Falmer: A study. And immediately regretted it. The first sentence talked about the “twisted Falmer” made my stomach turn. I forced myself to continue reading the book but the further I got into the pages the less hope I felt. Am I the only “normal’ snow elf left in Tamriel? After a few pages into the book, Faendal sat down across from me. I shut the book closed and shoved it away. Faendal gave me an inquisitive look and picked up the book. His look soon changed to understanding. “I now see why you always stopped others from mentioning this.” I finally responded.

“I’m sorry, Rhew.” he replied. I exhaled and pushed the other books away. I suddenly didn’t want to know what they said. “There aren’t much known about the Falmer. They’ve been gone for so long.” He continued.

“How long?”

“I’m not sure. Long enough to be seen as legends or to be forgotten.” He replied. I slumped in my chair. What did I really hope would happen by coming here? That something I read would trigger all my memories to come back? “Cheer up, Rhew. We’ve only been here a day.”

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
FRIENDLY COMPETITION

I became engrossed in the classes. It was not a policy to go to every lecture and most students didn’t but I needed something to keep my mind from wandering back to the Falmer. The spells for the schools of restoration, destruction, and conjuration all seemed to come naturally to me. So naturally that others thought I was keeping quiet about actually knowing the spells beforehand. I wasn’t sure but I felt they were the spells I knew before I lost my memories. Alteration and illusion was a different story. I struggled to keep up.

A student I had become close with was a khajiit named J’zargo. He enjoyed turning our classes into competitions. I always won our competitions in destruction but he would win any alteration competition we did. Faendal helped J’zargo once during one of our destruction competitions by sneaking a calming spell at me. I sunk to my knees and tried to call a fireball but I couldn’t concentrate. They laughed as I struggled to even make a flicker.

The Arch-Mage allowed Faendal to stay at the college under the condition he would bring meats for food. Faendal found the condition easy enough. He spent most of the day out hunting always bringing back two large satchels of meats and skins. The Arch-Mage had even placed a few targets on the upper walkway for Faendal to use. If Faendal was at the college at all he was usually there.

I began reading every book I could at the library even though I avoided the books about the Falmer. I would take the books to where Faendal’s targets were set up and read while he shot arrows. The repeated thumps of the arrows hitting the targets were comforting to me for some reason. Urag was furious when I first started doing this. He would glower at me whenever I returned with the books but soon he became a little more accepting when he saw that the books always arrived back in the same condition they left in.

A month had passed when Faendal came back from his hunting for the day limping. Blood dripped from a large gash on his thigh. I helped him to a chair in my room and started healing him. “What happened?”

He smiled weakly, “A damn ice wraith caught me by surprise. They’re so hard to see in the snow. That icy serpent.” He started, “I was tracking an elk when it came out of the snow and tore into my leg. But-” he pulled out a cloth and opened it up revealing a pair of fangs. They looked like ice but never seemed to melt. “I got him.”

“Your trophy?”

He shook his head. “Not this time. I’ve read that alchemist like to use these. I’m going to see how much coin it will fetch us.” He leaned back in the chair exhausted. “A lot I hope. He wasn’t easy to take down.”

The mages of the college were ecstatic to learn that Faendal could bring in ice wraith fangs. They had his weapons enchanted to deal fire damage to help kill the wraiths and his armor with frost protection. Before he brought in the first ice wraith teeth most of the mages had ignored him with the exception of one. Nirya, a high elf mage who I could not figure out what she did at the school, showed interest in Faendal. He never seemed to notice but she let me know as soon as we met that since Faendal and I weren’t together he was fair game. And she planned to play. “You’re wasting your time, Nirya. He’s blind to every woman except the snow elf.” Faralda mentioned passing by one day. Nirya stormed off with a huff.

“You, girl!” Urag called out to me when I entered the arcanaeum one night. I walked up to the desk to him. “I received some new books that might be of interest to you.” He plopped four very old tomes on the desk. I picked one up and studied the cover. It had a beautiful symbol of the sun on the front. I brushed my hand over it. It was so comforting to me. “Thing is.... it’s written in ancient Falmer.”

“Really!” I opened the book. The words were written in a flowing type. i studied the flowing letters slowly turning the pages.

“Can you read it?”

“Yes.” I whispered. These words brought back emotion that I did not understand. I could feel my eyes well up with tears. I felt sadness, fear and guilt but i didn’t know why.

“Well look at that. Guess you are a Falmer after all.” Urag commented. “There are three more like it but you can’t leave the arcanaeum with these.”

“That’s fine.” I murmured barely paying attention to his words. I dropped into a chair and did not leave until I had read all the ancient texts. Only one text did not feel me with hopeless grief. A book about the Chantry. I could see the vale. The beautiful waterfalls that cascaded from the cliffs. The strange colored deer that quietly ran through the valley. I knew I had been there before and I wanted to go back. I asked Urag about the place.

“The Chantry? The vale?” He asked bothered, “What are you talking about? Any architecture of the Falmer disappeared or was destroyed centuries ago. Even if you did find that vale you would be lucky to find rubble.”

It was always a dead end. I could never learn more than a few bits and pieces of my ancestry, or past. I was not sure what it could be. My thoughts went back to Basilio. The only person I believed could tell me something. But even he had been a dead end. He had been so injured and could possible be dead by now. I had not heard any news of him since we left Solitude.

The days passed as I concentrated on my classes. I helped Urag translate the Falmer texts. Faendal continued to bring in ice wraith teeth and meat. Soon they were asking Faendal to bring back other alchemy ingredients that could be found around Winterhold. Nordic barnacles seemed to be the most common. Faendal seemed fine with gathering these things while he was out hunting but refused to bring back any plants. “Damn Bosmer! You’re not in Valenwood.” one mage exclaimed walking away miffed.

“What was that about?” I asked Faendal.

“It’s nothing.” He said shrugging off the situation. I didn’t appreciate the other mages turning Faendal into their errand boy. Many of them looked down on him since he didn’t have any interest in learning magic. They said it didn’t matter since he got paid for the ingredients he did bring.

Another day I found Nirya speaking to Faendal as he tried to shoot his bow. She gave me a haughty look as I arrived. Jealousy filled my head but soon melted away when I saw the look of annoyance on Faendal’s face.

“What’s wrong little snow elf? Getting jealous? Don’t like others talking to your Bosmer?” Nirya commented. I found it strange that everyone called me little elf. The only person who didn’t was Faendal. But, then, he wasn’t much taller than me. Nirya towered over the both of us. “i really don’t believe you are a snow elf.” She pushed.

“Why?” I asked perplexed.

She laughed. "Seriously? The Falmer were seen as a proud and tall race. As tall as the Altmer. But here you are. Shorter than a Bosmer and with bright red hair at that.” She looked me up and down. “You’re nothing more than a common Bosmer with white skin.” My jaw dropped.

“Nirya, I need to talk to Rhew.” Faendal demanded. Anger filled his voice. “Privately.” Nirya looked surprised but turned and left when Faendal held her gaze with impatience. I slumped to the ground. What if she was right? What if I am actually a Bosmer and just think I’m a Falmer because of the bump on my head? Faendal kneeled in front of me and placed his hand gently on my shoulder. “You’re not a Bosmer. Anyone of us can tell you that in a heartbeat.” He told me. He brushed my cheek with his thumb removing a tear that had started to fall from my eye. “Don’t let Nirya get to you. She acts like a little girl learning what a crush is for the first time following him around everywhere and being mean to anyone that interacts with him.”

I chuckled but wondered if he thought the same about me. “And me?”

He smiled, “I’m the one that followed you, remember?” For the first time since we met I noticed that his smile no longer had grief in it. He looked happy. He actually acted happier as well. He seemed to laugh at everything whether it was funny or not. I was so consumed with the college I never noticed.

I smiled back at him. “You did follow me, didn’t you? Does that make you a little boy with a crush?” I teased.

He kissed my forehead. “Maybe.”

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
A DRAGON AND A DEN OF BANDITS

Faendal and I found ourselves at the local tavern quite frequently. We would go there to get away from the college which at times could seem like it housed bickering children than aspiring mages. At first the people of the town ignored us. Only a couple would talk to Faendal since he would bring them extra meats and skins from his hunts. One nicely dressed man, that I quickly learned was the jarl, made it very clear that I was unwanted but tolerated only because I was with Faendal. Slowly the villagers began to accept me, even dancing and singing with me. They started calling me “Red” possibly because of my hair. Definitely because I requested Ragnar the Red too much.

On a certain afternoon, a man came running into the tavern white as a ghost. “Dragon!” He cried, “I saw it flying toward us from the mountain!” Instead of staying inside to hide everyone ran out to see the dragon. Faendal and I followed knowing the inevitable was going to happen. We were on the porch when the dragon landed in the middle of the small town. It grabbed one of the townspeople with it’s mouth and shook him before tossing him aside before flying off again. Someone needed to get these people indoors or they were going to get themselves killed!

“Everyone needs to get inside now!” I yelled.

No one was listening. “Why would we do what you say?” Someone yelled.

I narrowed my eyes at the crowd. “Fus!” the force pushed everyone making them stagger. It was enough to make them run. The streets were empty except for Fendal, a few guards, and myself. The dragon circled around the town watching us. Faendal and the guards began shooting arrows at the beast. I threw a few ice spikes at it but the dragon made a strange noise. Almost as if it was laughing. “Fo Krah Diin!” The dragon shouted a spray of frost at us as it flew by. A couple of the guards were unable to jump out of the way. They screamed how much the frost burned. It uses frost! I conjured a flame atronach and started healing the injured guards as quickly as possible before the dragon could turn and make another strike. Once they were no longer crying out in pain I began throwing fireballs at the dragon. One of the fireballs hit it’s wing. A hole formed and began to expand.

The dragon crashed near us causing the ground to tremble. The guards used this opportunity to surround the dragon and attack it. It tried to attack back; snapping at the guards on either side of it. Whipping it’s tail to send a few guards flying but it couldn’t really reach anyone. I lowered my hands and watched. It felt wrong attacking it when it could barely defend itself. Faendal loosed an arrow at the creature but lowered his bow when he saw I was not attacking.

The dragon didn’t give me anymore chances to think about my moral dilemma. It snapped at me. “Fo Krah-” I threw a fireball at it hitting it in the eye before it could finish it’s shout. One of the guards slit it’s throat. The dragon dropped it’s head and bleed out.

Everyone started cheering but I knew it wasn’t over. I waited and felt the power start to enter me. The dragon began to catch on fire before the energy from it rushed into me. I gasped at the surge of new knowledge entering my body. Everyone watched me in silent awe. i was shaking. “You are the dragonborn?” the jarl asked.

“I thought the dragonborn was a stormcloak.” I heard someone whisper.

“I don’t know.” I replied shakily. I fell to my knees and stared at the dragon’s skull in front of me. The townspeople surrounded me excitedly talking. Faendal pushed through the crowd and helped me to my feet. He pulled me through the crowd and took me back to the college. We didn’t say anything on the way. We didn’t need to. My mind was preoccupied with the last dragon attack. How Soldin had everyone believe he was the dragonborn. So the power really did flow into me. He used that opportunity to trick everyone. But why? What did he plan to do? Now that this dragon had been absorbed into me it wouldn’t be long before it spread that the nord was a fake. Even if this was a tiny town.

The excitement never died down. I couldn’t go into the town without being surrounded by people curious about what I did. Faendal even had trouble getting through the town so he could hunt. I began to hide in the college behind a mountain of books. I went to Enthir, a bosmer that I knew was into something sketchy, when I heard he had spell books that were hard to find. One book caught my eye. “Wall of Frost” I read.

“You like that one?” Enthir asked, “Take it. On the house.” I looked at him suspiciously. “No. Really.”

“The catch?”

“No catch. Just feel like being generous today.”

“Thanks.” I said still unsure about his intentions. I took the book back to my room glancing at him once more before leaving his room. a new spell that i didn’t know. i was excited and spent the rest of the day studying the pages.

A few days later Faendal disappeared. On the second day I tried to go out to search for him. I was afraid an ice wraith may have caught him again. Every time I would start to leave Enthir seemed to be at the entrance of the college. He would cast a calming spell on me and tell me I’m over reacting.

On the fourth day Faendal returned beaten up. He could barely walk. There were deep gashes and bruises all over his body. He was holding his side unable to stand up completely. I ran to him and helped him into my bed. “What happened? More ice wraiths?” I asked as I healed him,

“No. Not this time.” he said, “Enthir asked me to retrieve some staff that was stolen. If I had known it was going to be a den of bandits-” His voice trailed off in pain. My face contorted in anger. Enthir! I should have known. I waited with Faendal until he fell asleep, grabbed the staff, and headed for Enthir’s room.

I shoved the staff into his hands. “Here. I think this is your’s” I said coldly.

“My staff!” Enthir exclaimed happily. “I told you there was nothing to worry about.”

“Fus!” I shouted making him sit in a chair.

“What was that for!” He yelled.

“Listen to me. You will not use Faendal as your errand boy. He almost died!”

“But he didn’t. I got my staff. He’s still alive. And you get to take care of your lover boy. I did you a favor!” Enthir said making excuses.

I glared at him. “Don’t do me any more favors.” I left before he could answer. I fumed as I walked back to my room. Nirya was sitting next to the bed watching Faendal when I entered. “Get out!”

“Someone needs to care for him while he heals.” she claimed.

“And this is my room. Get out.” I dropped into the chair when nirya left. Faendal would grimace in pain while breathing. It seemed to hurt him just to breathe. He must have broken something. I continued to heal him until he stopped grimacing. Restoration could only heal so much. He needed rest. If he did break something he would be bedridden for awhile.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
JAGGA

:eek::eek::eek:ADULT CONTENT:eek::eek::eek:

Faendal’s wounds healed slowly. He was able to practice his bow after two weeks. There was always a look of boredom on his face being forced to stay in the college. He only smiled when he would see me. He started reading in the arcanaeum. Books about beasts, locations in Skyrim, and also the Falmer. The books I refused to read. I knew we needed to leave the college but we didn’t know where to go.

One class that I had grown fond of was enchantment. I enjoyed learning the various enchantments and placing them on whatever I could find. I placed destruction and restoration enchantments on my favorite robes and the leather armor Faendal bought me. I could now do more magic without getting so light headed. I held a silver necklace in my hand thinking of what to enchant it with. The necklace twirled as I thought. Maybe I should make something for Faendal. All my enchantments so far were beneficial to me but what kind of enchantments would he want. I finally went with an enchantment to fortify his archery and another to fortify his sneak for hunting. I smiled as I placed the enchantments on his necklace. I hope he will wear it, I thought.

I went to the walkways that connected the halls to find Faendal. I could her the thump of arrows hitting the straw targets before Faendal came in view. He had his bow fully drawn concentrating on the target. He let loose his arrow. It flew into the center of the target. Almost every arrow he shot would hit the center. “You really don’t need to practice so much. You’re already back to how you were before the bandit incident.” I called out.

He lowered his bow and placed a loose arrow back into his quiver. “I don’t want to lose my touch.” He answered with a smile. I walked up to him and placed the silver necklace in his hands. “What’s this?” He asked as he examined it dangling from his hand.

“I enchanted it for you.” I blushed. “It will fortify your archery and sneak.”

“My sneak?” He asked puzzled.

“For your hunting.” I explained.

He smiled and tied the necklace around his neck and tucked it into his tunic. “Thank you.”

My heart leaped in happiness. “I should get back to the lecture.” I commented turning for the door. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him.

“I’m not done thanking you.” He leaned in and our lips met. His free hand wrapped around my body and pulled me in even closer. My eyes widened in shock but I slowly closed them and melted into him as we kissed. Slowly we pulled apart. He kissed me tenderly on my forehead.

“I really must get back to my lecture.” I repeated softly.

I started for the door a second time but was pulled back into his arms. “No, not yet.” he breathed. We wrapped our arms around each other and kissed each other passionately. They were long and deep. We were eager for each other. Faendal slowly trailed kisses down my neck. I sighed as each kiss sent electricity down my body. I opened my eyes and caught J’zargo standing at the door watching us. I quickly pulled away from Faendal.

“J’zargo!” I cried out in surprise.

He smiled slyly. “J’zargo did not want to interrupt. This one seemed to be enjoying herself, yes?” He explained. Faendal laughed as my face turned red. “The Arch-mage is looking for Rhew. A letter has arrived for this one from the jarl of Whiterun.” A letter from the jarl of Whiterun? “Now that J’zargo has finished the errand I must go back to becoming the best wizard in Tamriel.” The door closed behind him.

Faendal wrapped his arms around me and rested his head next to mine. “You are adorable when you are embarrassed.” He said into my ear. His breath sent shivers down my spin. “Like an Imga.”

“Imga?” I asked confused.

Faendal burst into laughter. “Apes that live in Valenwood.”

“I’m like an ape!?” I demanded. My eyes grew wide in disbelief.

“An adorable ape.” Faendal replied kissing my ear.

The door opened and J’zargo poked his head out. “J’zargo wanted to add that it is nice to

see these two finally make love. It was obvious to everyone except the little elf.”

“Make love!” I cried out. Faendal’s laughter became a roar. “J’zargo, get out of here!” I threw an ice spike at the door. He quickly ducked back inside. I turned and embraced Faendal. I stared into his dark eyes. They reflected my blue eyes. He still had an amused look on his face. “I think I really have to go now.” I told him. Our lips locked once more. He accompanied me to the door when we pulled apart. We kissed once more and he watched me walk down the stairs.

Our chemistry had not been unknown to me. I knew the best thing for us was waiting. Faendal must have not wanted to wait anymore which means he was finally ready to move on. Everyone, I’m sure, will probably react the way J’zargo did except maybe Naryi who made it very clear she was interested in Faendal.

I found the Arch-Mage in the Hall of Elements. “Ah, Rhew!” He called out when he saw me. “A very interesting letter came for you.” He handed me the letter. I thanked him when I took it.

“Just let Mirabelle know when you are heading out. You are always welcome at the college.” I went back to my room and sat at the chair next to a small table. I held the letter in my hands not really wanting to open it. Faendal called out my name. I looked up and saw him standing at the entrance of my room. He was carrying a package in his arms. I placed the unopened letter aside and asked him to come in.

He handed me the package. “I had this made for you at Windhelm when I left to retrieve the staff for Enthir.” He told me. I opened the package and pulled out a dark midnight blue cloth. It was a hooded cloak. The fabric was a beautiful soft blue. The inside was lined in orange fox fur. I brushed my hand against the soft fur.

“This is beautiful.” I gasped. “It must have cost a fortune.”

He smiled. “I have my ways.” I drapped the cloak carefully over the chair and jumped into his arms. Our kisses were deep and passionate. I started to unbuckle his belt around his tunic. He stopped me. “Hold on.” He closed the curtain to my room. “Ok.” He pulled me back into his arms. We eagerly pulled each other’s clothes off and fell onto the bed intertwined into each other. Faendal explored my body causing me to cry out in pleasure but I wanted more. I lead his head back to mine and kissed him passionately. My fingers dug into his back as we made love. I cried out as we rocked in rhythm. His lips found mine. I wasn’t sure if he was kissing me because he was in the moment or if he was trying to quiet me but I didn’t care.

Later I rested my head on his chest. He slowly brushed his fingers along my side. I loved his warmth and his smell; like autumn leaves. “You are not a quiet lover.” He declared. I giggled embarrassed as I hid my face in his chest. “I like it.” He continued playfully. “And I know the answer now.”

I glanced up at him. “What answer?”

“Whether you have been in bed with another man before.” I looked at him in shock. “And I’m not telling you.” He kissed me.

“That’s mean!” I proclaimed. He laughed as he turned to lay on me. He kissed me and we made love a second time.

After we were dressed we headed out of my room. I was going to catch the last lecture of the day. Enthir sat on a bench near the exit. He watched us shrewdly. “Sounds like you had a great archery training session.”

My jaw dropped open. Faendal chuckled. “You could say that.”

“You heard!?” I asked.

He looked at me like I was crazy. “The whole hall could hear.” I was so embarrassed. “If I had known archery training could be that fun I wouldn’t be stuck in this place.”

“Or maybe archery training will make this place more enjoyable for you.” Faendal pointed out. The Bosmers laughed.

I was becoming flustered at their innuendoes. “Stop it with the “training” comments.” I pleaded.

Faendal embraced me. “She’s so embarrassed.” He exclaimed.

“You’re going to need to learn to laugh at yourself if you’re going to be with a Bosmer.” Enthir revealed. “We like to laugh at everything. Especially Bosmers like him.” Like him? What did Enthir mean by that? “Which reminds me.” Enthir added placing his attention to Faendal. “I just got in a fresh batch of Jagga.”

“Jagga!” Faendal’s eyes lite up.

I glanced at the two of them. “What’s jagga?”

“It’s delicious is what it is!” Faendal exclaimed.

“Eh….. it’s an acquired taste.” Enthir added. “It’s fermented pig’s milk so “fresh” probably isn’t the best word to use for it.” I left the two Bosmers to talk about prices and headed to my lecture. It was a class on conjuration. We were learning how to conjure frost atronachs. Yet again once I had the basics down the class felt more like a refresher course than a class. I conjured my frost atronach on the first try. It towered over me while others continued to attempt the spell.

Phinis walked up to me. “You know, Rhew. It looks like you’re an advanced conjurer.” He placed a book in my hands. “This is a spell you might actually not know. But keep it to yourself.” I looked at the title. Conjure a dremora lord.

i looked at Phinis. “A dre-”

“Shhhhh! As I said, keep it to yourself.” He repeated. I thanked him and headed back to my room after the lecture ended.

Faendal and Enthir were sitting on the same bench from earlier. “Ah, there you are, my love!” Faendal called out with a smile when he saw me.

“Love?” I asked.

“He had a flagon of jagga and his tolerance of it isn’t that high anymore, I’m guessing.” Enthir told me.

“He drinks mead all the time though.” I commented.

Enthir laughed. “Mead is water compared to jagga!” I’ll say! I’ve seen Faendal drunk but never like this. He would laugh and then look like he was sleeping before saying something. “This is the end of the buzz. He’ll be asleep soon and wherever he is when the buzz comes down is where he’ll sleep so you should probably get him to a bed or else Naryi may take the opportunity.”

Faendal grabbed me and pulled me down to the bench next to him. He embraced me, “My Imga.” He muttered.

“He’s calling you an Imga?” Enthir asked raising an eyebrow. I only shook my head. Is this my pet name now? “One thing you should ask him about is how much he follows the green pact for your….” He paused, “Morbid curiosity.”

“What’s the green pact?” I asked.

“It’s not morbid. It’s the reason why our race is so much more peacefully than others.” Faendal pipped up. I waited for Faendal to continue but he didn’t say anything else.

“To each their own.” Enthir said with a shrug. “Bosmer scouts, like him, usually follow it more closely.”

“He was a scout?”

“The skills he has? It’s kind of obvious. Whether it was for the Imperials or the Thalmor is up in the air.” He said annoyed. “Look. All those books you read and you haven’t read anything about Valenwood?” I suddenly felt guilty. I was so caught up with learning about my race I didn’t even think about his. “Well, I’m not going to lecture you about our culture. You can go find some books about them. Or just ask him about it.” He added. Faendal had slumped over on me. I was sure he was asleep by now.

Somehow I managed to wake up Faendal enough to stumble into my room with him. He fell onto the bed asleep but I felt he might have been asleep before he even hit the pillow. I crawled into the bed and snuggled next to him. It had been a long day.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
WINDHELM BOUND

ADULT CONTENT. It doesn't go into great detail but it's there.

Faendal’s arms wrapped around me and pulled me into him. “Good morning,” he breathed. Shivers rippled down my spine. “I don’t remember getting here last night.”

I turned to look at him. “You would have been sleeping in the hall if I hadn’t brought you here.” I said booping his sharp nose with my finger.

“Waking up here is a lot nicer than waking up in the hall.” He kissed me. “I haven’t had jagga in years. I didn’t say anything embarrassing did I?”

I faked a look of surprise, “You get embarrassed?” I teased, “Ah, there you are, my love!” I called out as I jumped on him into a bear hug.

“I said that?” he laughed. I nodded. “Well you are my love.” My heart swelled with bliss. His lips met mine. The warmth of his lips sent electricity through my body. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him in closer wanting more. But he pulled away and smiled. “As much as I would love to stay here with you I really need to get out of this college today.” I pouted but understood. He pushed himself out of the bed and stretched. Glancing at the table he picked up the letter. “Is this the letter from the jarl? What did it say?”

I shot out of bed and grabbed the letter. I had completely forgotten about it. “I forgot to read it!”

“How could you forget to read a letter from a jarl?” He chuckled.

“Yesterday was busy with….. archery practice.” I poked him in the side. I opened the letter and read the flowing letters. My stomach turned as I finished reading. I sunk to the bed. “Oh.”

“What is it?” Faendal sat next to me. I handed him the letter. He read over it as I told him what it said.

“The news of the dragon attack here reached Whiterun. The jarl wants to thank me. He thinks I’m the real dragonborn.”

“This sounds like a great honor. Why do you seem so disturbed from it?” He asked handing the letter back to me. The last thing I wanted was another responsibility added to my shoulders. My amnesia had not cured nor had I had any real memories of my past come to me since I saw that stone wall in the ruins. On top of that, I was the only one of my kind. The only information I could learn about the Falmer were either whispers of legends and myths or whispers of the “twisted abominations”. Being the dragonborn brought a whole new set of worries. But this letter gave us a reason to leave the college and I could already see the twinkle in Faendal’s eyes.

“Ok.” I exhaled deeply. “We should go to Whiterun. It’s rude to ignore the summons of a jarl.”

“We should head out right away! I’ll start gathering our things.” Faendal said a little too excited as he jumped up to his feet. I watched him leave with a smile. His eagerness to not be stuck in a stone building was cute.

I strapped on my leather armor, tied the cloak Faendal gifted me, and packed a few robes, potions, and food into my satchel. I braided my red hair in one long braid that draped over my shoulder. The last thing I needed was getting my hair caught in a fire spell. I made a quick stop at the arcanaeum hoping to pick up some books on Valenwood. Urag laughed at my wanting to take books with me but stopped with a pensive look. “I tell you what, snow elf. I have a list of books I’ve been looking for. You keep an eye out for them and send them to me and I’ll let you take a few books with you.” He said handing me a list.

“Sure, sounds fair.” I smiled.

I left the arcanaeum with three books: A Dance with Fire, Green Pact Bosmer: Observations, and War Customs of the Tribal Bosmer. I tucked the books into my satchel and headed for the entrance of the college. J’zargo stopped me to wish me well “and perhaps when you return J’zargo will win our competitions.” He said with confidence. Faendal waited for me at the entrance leaning against the stone wall.

“We’ll have to walk most of the way.” He said standing up when I arrived. “There aren’t any carriages here. But Windhelm is a day’s walk and we can hire one once we’re there. Part of the trek will be off path so stay close.” I nodded and followed him out the college. We became stuck in the town with townspeople asking us to have one more drink with them. We were able to continue once we promised we would be back.

It was a beautiful crisp day with no clouds in sight. The sun warmed the air just enough to make the walk comfortable with my cloak Faendal had gifted me. The right of us were sheer cliffs of jagged rocks that hovered over us. The left was an open barren field of snow and ice. Our boots crunched through the snow as we followed the path away from Winterhold. I enjoyed the light breeze hitting my face. It smelled fresh.

“What is the green pact?” I broke the silence remembering what Enthir told me the night before. “And why is it morbid?”

He smiled slightly amused, “It’s not morbid.”

“You said that last night but you didn’t elaborate.” I stated watching him.

“It’s not that interesting. One doesn’t eat or use the plant life of Valenwood. You only eat meat.” He told me.

“That doesn’t sound morbid.”

“The part that others don’t like is when you kill you must eat the fallen within three days.” It took me a moment to really comprehend what he meant. I gasped in horror. He only chuckled. “That’s usually the way people react when they learn about it.”

“How is that not morbid?” I demanded.

He shrugged. “How is it any more morbid than leaving the dead to rot?”

My thoughts went to the bandits we had killed at the ruins above Riverwood. Were they still laying there rotting? Maybe an animal had eaten them? “So, do you?” I asked unable to finish the full sentence.

“No.” He said with a laugh, “Only those who live in small villages deep in the forest still practice it.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. “I could eat you though.” He pressed his lips against mine. They were cold from the Skyrim breeze. Our lips lingered together warming each other.

“I don’t know if I should be turned on or creeped out.” I replied when we pulled apart.

“Which is it?” He asked with a smile.

I thought for a second. “Both?”

“That works for me.” He said with a quick kiss before parting from me. We continued down the path. The wind swirled loose snow around the land. My mind wondered to other questions I wanted to know. Before I knew it I was spilling out every question I could think of.

“How old are you? How long have you been to Skyrim? Why did you come to Skyrim? Were you really a military scout? Who were you a scout for? Where in Valenwood are you from?”

Faendal’s eyes widened at the sudden attack. “Did Enthir get to your head?” He asked. “I’m just a hunter who worked at a lumber mill.”

I watched him with doubt. “A simple hunter couldn’t survive a den of bandits.”

“Ask me if I’m a tree.” He requested.

“What?’ I was taken aback.

“Ask me if I’m a tree.”

I watched him for a moment not understanding what the request had to do with what we were talking about. “Are you a tree?”

He leaned in so close to me, our noses almost touched. “No.” He walked off laughing hysterically. I stared at him with my mouth agape. Was this the Bosmer humor? I smiled at how adorably horrible his joke was and chased after him. It wasn’t until later that I realized he never answered any of my questions.

Ahead the path vered to the right between two cliffs. Faendal, instead, kept straight and started off the path. “This is where we leave the path.” He called back to me. “Stay close to me. It’s easy to get lost here.” The land dipped down into a small icy valley. Pine trees covered in snow loomed over us. Remains of old nordic ruins dotted the area as we walked through. I hummed different songs as we walked towards Windhelm but Faendal face was furrowed full of concentration. Always looking out in the distance. I realized humming was probably not a great idea and stopped.

Faendal suddenly took out his bow, notched an arrow and let it loose. It flew through the cold air and hit a snow bear in the head. I did not even see the bear before it was hit. He went up to the bear and began to skin it. I couldn’t watch as he cut into the bear’s skin. I started to believe his story of taking down a bear in a blizzard. “This skin will get us a few extra septims.” He said tucking the skin away. “It’s a shame to leave the rest of him here but I’m sure he’ll make a hungry animal happy.” I nodded glancing at the bloody carcass and quickly looking away. So this is what he did day after day while I was at the college.

We left the remains of the bear behind and continued through the snowy field that slowly descended towards a river. Faendal took out his bow again and motioned for me to stay near him. That’s when I heard it. An almost unearthly sound as a creature slithered towards us through the air. An ice wraith. Faendal shot an arrow but missed. It was fast and could switch directions faster than I could keep up with it. It was soon next to me bearing it’s fangs. It grabbed onto my arm before I had a chance to react. The fangs pierced my skin. The bite was so cold it burned. I screamed and blasted a fireball at it’s face. It let go of my arm with a screech and shook it’s head. An arrow pierced it’s icy body. It disintegrated into a pile of icy shards on the snow.

My arm throbbed and burned where the ice wraith bit me. Blood began to ooze from the gaping holes. I couldn’t move my wrist or fingers. The movement caused pain to shoot up my arm and into my chest. I tried to heal myself but I couldn’t concentrate from the pain. Faendal gingerly took my arm and poured some water onto the wound clearing the blood. I gritted my teeth in pain. “I’m sorry.” He apologized seeing my face. He took out a bandage from his pack and carefully wrapped my injured arm. “The limitations of magic. You can’t cast a spell without being able to concentrate. And pain makes that very hard to do.” He said with a half-smile. He handed me a small vial of red liquid. “This will help with the pain. It’s what got me to Windhelm after the attack with the bandits.”

I took the vial of liquid and sighed as the pain melted away to a dull throb. I could move my wrist and fingers more without it shooting pain through my arm. After I thanked him he went to the pile of ice and picked out the fangs with a cloth. Windhelm wasn’t far from where we were. I could see the stone walls of the city peak through the pines. We walked around the wall of the city and entered the gate. The city was old. Very old. The stones were falling apart cracked or altogether fallen in some areas. There were many twisting alleys that I knew I would get lost in easily. But Faendal seemed to know exactly where to go and we were soon inside a warm tavern. I followed Faendal up the stairs into an open room with a fire roaring in the middle. A dark elf was singing in the corner. We took a seat near the fire to warm our chilled bodies.

“Let me check your injury.” Faendal requested as he gently grabbed my arm. He unwrapped the bandages exposing the bite wounds. I looked away. Looking at the wounds made them throb more. He pulled out a bottle of salve as he chuckled. “This will help prevent infection.” I gasped as my arm started to sting from the salve.

“That hurts!” I cried out as I ripped my arm from his grip and held it against my chest. People nearby glanced at us at my outcry.

Faendal looked dumbfounded. “I should have warned you first. Sorry. Can I finish wrapping it?” I reluctantly moved my arm back to him and he wrapped a clean bandage around the wound. I muttered a sorry after he was done. He only smiled at me.

“Here’s two faces I never thought I’d see again!” a deep gruff voice bellowed out.

“Oh, for the love of Y’ffre! What now?” Faendal sounded irritated as Soldin plopped into a chair next to us.

“Still don’t like me, wood elf?” Soldin laughed. “No matter. What brings you to Windhelm, Little Elf? There are rumors of a dragon being absorbed by a female elf”

I grimaced. The idea of being known throughout Skyrim bothered me. “We’re just passing through on our way to Whiterun.” I explained the letter to Soldin. “I thought you were the dragonborn.” I responded.

“Girl, you are smarter than those Whiterun guards!” Soldin roared. He leaned in to us and lowered his voice. “If you are going to Whiterun I wouldn’t stay there longer than a week.”

“Why?” I asked. Faendal sat up watching Soldin with suspicion.

Soldin shook his head. “Nevermind why. Just don’t be there within a week.” He sat back and burst into laughter. The sudden outburst made me jump and Faendal look around uncomfortable. “So, you two.” He leaned in towards us again giving us a sly smile. “Finally get horizontal?”

“Is that all you think about?” Faendal demanded. I could feel my face turn red from thinking about our time only the day before.

“You did, you sly elves! I can see it in your face, Rhew.” My face went even redder. “I told you I did you the favor all those months ago.” Soldin nudged Faendal’s arm.

A slight smile appeared on Faendal’s face as he glanced at me. “Perhaps you did.” And suddenly I wanted nothing more than to have him at that moment.

“Um, Soldin. It was nice seeing you but…… it’s late.”

Soldin looked at me skeptically. “The sun hasn’t completely set.”

“Well, uh, we did walk all the way here from Winterhold and….. um….. had a couple run ins with creatures…… and well,” I stood up and grabbed Faendal’s arm. “Goodbye.” I pulled Faendal down the stairs and into a room. Soldin’s laughter followed us.

“Rhew? What-” Faendal started. I pressed my lips against his interrupting him. My longing grew with every second. Our kisses became deeper and more intense. We started stripping each other. The excitement grew until I could take it no more. I wanted him now. I pushed him onto the bed and pounced after him. My legs wrapped around him as I gave into the pleasure.

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
THANE OF WHITERUN

The horse carriage rocked as it made it’s way towards Whiterun. The path followed a river that flowed through two mountains. The wind blew cold from the mountains. Our breath left our mouths in puffs of fog. I shrugged into my cloak thankful that Faendal had given it to me. He also had a cloak made of bear fur. It wasn’t as elaborate as mine but it looked nice on him. I tried to enjoy the scenery but every step the horse took brought me dread. I was not looking forward to seeing the Jarl. My leg twitched uncontrollably from the nervous energy. Faendal placed his hand on my twitching leg. “Are you ok?” I could only nervously smile at him. My sigh left with a puff. I could stay hidden at the college and be happy. But I knew this wasn’t just about me. There was so much more to what was happening. What Soldin told us yesterday also bothered me. If anything I had to let the Jarl know the warning. I wasn’t sure what the warning meant but I knew it was best to tell him.

I watched the scenery pass by slowly changing from a snowy mountain pass to the green rolling hills of Whiterun. The city of Whiterun dominated over the valley. It was beautiful but it only filled me with dread. Meeting with the jarl would mean I would have to admit that I am the Dragonborn. A hand rested on my shoulder pulling me back to reality. We were outside of Whiterun. When did we arrive, I wondered. We entered the city and made our way through the crowded streets up the hill to Dragonsreach. Over two months ago I had come here to warn the jarl of the dragon attack. Here I was again honestly never expecting to return to the jarl’s place. Much less that I would be summoned by him. I was glad I had Faendal by my side. I would be lost without him. Skyrim seemed so foreign to me.

“Ah! You’re here! The jarl has been waiting for you!” The steward exclaimed when we entered Dragonsreach. We passed the long fire pit and walked up the few steps to the jarl. I could feel everyone’s eyes watching us as we approached the jarl.

“I remember you!” the jarl exclaimed. “You helped my city from the dragon those few months ago. Why didn’t you come out about being the dragonborn then?” He asked.

I shifted uncomfortably. “I’m here now.”

“You let us think that Nord was the dragonborn for so long. Why did you do this?” The dark elf asked.

“You think I let you believe Soldin was the dragonborn on purpose?” I demanded. Everyone was taken aback from my sudden outburst. “So much had happened to me in such a little amount of time. It’s amazing I could even help fight the dragon!” I started. I could feel my blood boil. Why was I getting so upset? “Something bashes me in the head. I lost my memories from this. I wake up just to be arrested for something I don’t think I did. I am pushed onto a chopping block only to survive because a dragon attacks the city. I somehow survive that! I’m dragged through a ruin being attacked by bandits, draugrs, spiders and avoiding traps.” I could sense Faendal getting uncomfortable from this. “When we do finally arrive in Whiterun I’m sent to fight a dragon for the sole reason that I escaped Helgen?”

The room was silent except for the crackle of the fire. My eyes moved from person to person but none seemed to want to look directly at me. “To add to everything that has happened I learn that I’m the only Snow elf left in Skyrim? Maybe even in Tamriel! The only things I can learn about my race are either legends, myths, or stories of some twisted abominations! And you’re wondering why I wouldn’t want to have the added responsibility of being a Dragonborn?”

“Rhew…..” Faendal stopped me.

I took a deep breathe. “I’m sorry. I’m here now. I’m ready to take on what it means to be dragonborn.”

Everyone watched me for a moment unsure how to proceed. Jarl Balgruuf began chuckling. It was soon a full blown laugh. “Well, at least the dragonborn has some fire.” He said once he stopped laughing. “But it isn’t me you need to prove yourself to. Remember those few months ago after the dragon was defeated? There was a shout. “Dovahkiin.” The greybeards were calling for you. You need to travel to High Hrothgar to see them.” He told me. “How I envy you. To climb the 7000 steps again.” He reminisced. “But this isn’t the real reason I summoned you. I want to make you thane of Whiterun.”

“Thane?” I asked.

“It’s an honorary title that shows you have helped out my city in a big way. I assign you Lydia as your housecarl. You may also purchase a house here if you would like.” For the first time I noticed a tall woman with brunette hair standing next to Irileth. She was beautiful. I thanked the jarl and started to leave but remembered what Soldin had told me. They needed to know.

“Jarl, I need to tell you one more thing.”

“What is it, Dragonborn?”

“We were warned by a stormcloak to not stay in Whiterun longer than a week.” I told him.

His eyebrow raised. “Really? And why would a stormcloak do that?”

I shrugged. “He says he respects me. But I feel this is something you need to know.”

“Thank you, Dragonborn.” the jarl turned to his steward. “Proventus! Get me some paper and ink! We’re going to send a letter to the imperials.”

Faendal and I started to leave Dragonsreach when Lydia stopped us. “It’s an honor to be your housecarl, thane.”

“What is a housecarl?” I asked.

“As your housecarl, I will protect you and all your belongings with my life.” She explained.

I glanced at Faendal. “Even him?”

“Do you own him?” She asked skeptically.

I looked from Faendal to Lydia uncertain what to say. “Rhew!” Faendal exclaimed.

“No….. No, I guess not.” I fiddled with my fingers. “Then how about coming with us since I don’t have a house to protect?” I asked her. “I’m guessing we don’t have the money to buy a house here.”

Faendal shrugged. “We do but there wouldn’t be any money left for anything else.”

“You want me to go to High Hrothgar with you?” She asked,

“Sure. The more the merrier.” I smiled.

We spent the rest of the afternoon gathering supplies. I headed for the blacksmith for a new armor that would fit me better. The woman who worked the forge was very sweet and helped me pick an armor that would protect me but light enough to move freely. I left with a red and gold elven armor with gloves and boots. It fit so well I thought it had been made for me. “I hope others don’t mistake you for a Thalmor.” Lydia commented when I left the blacksmith.

“They shouldn’t,” Faendal replied. “It looks nice on you.” I blushed at his compliment.

We headed across the street into another shop. The drunken huntsman it was called. Another Bosmer stood behind a counter. His face lit up when he saw Faendal. “How my heart soars to see another brother Bosmer! How can I help you?” As Faendal looked at bows and arrows with the other wood elf I looked around the store. It wasn’t really a store. It was a tavern. A few people sat around tables to drink. A fire with meat cooking over it sat in the middle of the room. It seemed cozy but I liked the Bannered Mare better. When we left Faendal had a new elven bow and a quiver of elven arrows. They were in much better condition than his worn hunting bow. He also wore a new armor made of leather. Leather strips stitched crisscrossed across the the chest. Layers of leather covered the sides of his legs and down his arms. He called it Bosmer armor. It was strong but gave enough flexibility for an archer.

“You’re so handsome.” I threw my arms around him and kissed him.

“For the love of Talos! I’m a third wheel in this group!” Lydia exclaimed glancing away from us. “You two are sickeningly cute.”

We parted laughing. “Thank you?” I said uncertain if the last thing she said was a compliment. “How can you make a compliment sound like a complaint?”

She shrugged. “Talent, I suppose.”

“Well maybe we can find a fourth wheel for you!” I suggested as we headed for the Bannered Mare.

“What?” Lydia looked shocked. “No thanks. I’m fine on my own.”

Last edited:

Rhew

The missing snow elf
rhew banner.jpg
CONJURER’S BATTLE

“Let me see your arm.” Faendal requested once we were ready to leave. We woke up at dawn that morning. He seemed surprisingly awake but I couldn’t stop yawning. He unwrapped the bandage on my arm. I stared at the wall once the injury was visible. The deep gashes left me feeling uncomfortable and weak. He cleaned the wound and rewrapped it. “It’s turning red. I hope we can keep it from getting infected. I don’t understand why you haven’t used your magic to heal it.” It’s not that I haven’t tried but for some reason unknown to me every time I try the healing spell, it just doesn’t work. The new elven gloves I bought should help protect my arms from future ice wraiths. Auriel forbid that we come across another one.

Lydia met us in the main room of the tavern. She pointed out the best route to get to High Hrothgar from Whiterun on the map Viarmo had given me. It was nice having Lydia with us because it became painfully obvious that Faendal didn’t know Skyrim outside of the Riverwood area and Winterhold. That’s probably why we took carriages so much, I thought with a chuckle. While Faendal and Lydia went over the route I started writing a letter to send out before we left. It was to Camilla. The letter explained the truth of the fake letter to her. I didn’t know why I was doing this but I felt she should know the truth. “What are you writing?” Faendal asked looking over my shoulder.

I quickly folded the letter. “Ah! Nothing! It’s for Urag.” I lied. I found a currier and paid him a few gold to have the letter delivered. It was strange to think that she would receive the letter before we would even get to Ivarstead. I begged the courier to keep the letter anonymous. I didn’t want her to know who the letter was from. She probably doesn’t even remember me, I thought.

We left the city and followed the stone cobbled path past farms and the Honeybrew meadery. There was a crisp breeze that flowed through the valley. The grass and flowers rippled from the wind. The sky slowly lit up as the sun rose. We passed an intersection and walked across the bridge. I watched as the trail to the right disappeared knowing that Riverwood was only a few miles away. The path we followed sat between the mountain to the right and the river to the left.

Pillars rose at the side of the path ahead. A shrine of some sort, I wondered. “What is this place?” I asked as we neared the pillars.

“It’s one of the guardian stones. The necromancer stone if I’m not mistaken.” Lydia explained.

I studied the pillars as we approached the small hill they stood atop. “I’ve never seen guardian stones before.” I murmured.

“There’s three of them near Riverwood. Don’t you remember seeing it when you first visited?” Faendal asked. I shook my head. I didn’t remember much after leaving Helgen. “That’s right. I had to use a calming spell on you.” He grinned. “I haven’t used one on you recently.”

“Don’t you dare!” I demanded.

Lydia watched us with confusion. “She’s very susceptible to calming spells.” Faendal explained.

“And telling everyone about that isn’t a good idea!” I declared, “What if someone uses it against me one day?”

He scooped me into his arms and kissed my forehead. “I’ll just have to protect you.”

“Ugh!” Lydia rolled her eyes. “Too much.”

“Sorry!” I apologized as Faendal put me down. As soon as my feet hit the ground Faendal pulled me away from where I stood. A fireball flew by my head right where I had stood seconds before. “Wha-!”

A mage stood at the top of the hill between the pillars. A few skeletons surrounded her. They were protecting her. Faendal started firing arrows at the skeletons. “Arrows aren’t going to hurt those things!” Lydia scoffed. She took off running up the hill to the skeletons and mage blocking the fireballs with her shield. Faendal turned his attention to the mage. Her reflexes were unreal. She was able to dodge every arrow Faendal sent at her. He cursed under his breath the more arrows he sent at her. His attacks only seemed to keep her preoccupied from using magic.

I tried to throw ice spikes at the skeletons but every time I started to conjure them my left arm would throb in pain. I lost my concentration from the pain. The ice spikes would leave my hand in a puff of frost. I started to get frustrated. I felt so useless. A flame atronach appeared in front of me. I fell back in shock as it threw a fireball at me. I placed a ward around myself. The fire disappeared as it hit the ward. I conjured a frost atronach between the flame atronach and me. They icey beast towered over everyone. It started after the flame atronach throwing punches whenever it was close enough to the flame atronach. The flame atronach continued to float away from the frost atronach throwing flames at it.

I pushed myself to my feet and ran from the atronach battle. The mage at the top of the hill was so preoccupied with avoiding Faendal’s arrows she didn’t hear Lydia come up behind her. Lydia stabbed the mage through the back. The blade protruded from her chest. The mage’s face contorted in shock, confusion, and pain. Lydia pulled her blade out and pushed the mage down the hill with her shield. The flame atronach turned to ash when the mage hit the ground.

Faendal climbed the hill to retrieve his arrows while Lydia slowly made her way back down. She walked cautiously around my ice atronach never moving her gaze from it. “So, you’re a mage.” She commented. I nodded. She watched the atronach nervously as it stood behind me.

“It won’t attack anything unless I tell it to.” I assured her.

“Sure, sure.” She didn’t sound convinced.

My hand went to my injured arm. Why was I able to conjure the frost atronach but not icy spikes? The injury frustrated me. How it didn’t seem to be affected by my healing spells. How it kept me from using my full magic potential. How I couldn’t even move my wrist without pain shooting through my arm. My fingers couldn’t even move without pain throbbing throughout my arm. My frustration must have shown because Faendal caressed my cheek. I didn’t realize he had come back from the hill. “Don’t worry. We’ll protect you until you heal.”

I studied the dead mage that laid at our feet. Her blood pooled around her body. “Why did she attack us?”

“She was probably a necromancer. They’re outcasts here in Skyrim. Necromancers are chased out of towns when discovered. That or they’re killed.” Lydia explained. “We must have gotten too close to her for comfort.” It saddened me. This was an avoidable death. I had seen this before. A group being chased out or killed because you were different. I gasped at these memories. I don’t think I want my memories back if these were the type of things I had experienced.

“Are you ok, Rhew?” Faendal asked.

I nodded pushing the memories out of my mind. “Yes. Let’s continue. We’ve only begun this trip.”

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts