The Journal of Derius Rykker - Hardcore Skyrim Playthrough

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Baelor

Name: Derius Rykker
Race: Imperial

Playstyle
-Ranger/Thief/Assassin (Bow and Arrow/Dual wielding daggers/swords/axes)
-Must eat 3 meals a day and sleep 8 hours a day on average
-The only thing on me as I enter Skyrim is the armor I am wearing (I do not go through the opening scene on this character)

Mods
-Game of Thrones followers - I only use this mod for the Game of Thrones armors. This mod also creates characters from the show that can be followers. Follower rules apply if hired.
-Various graphical mods
-No mods I am using give me an unfair advantage, they are mostly for appearance
-Camping mod. My character knows how to camp and live outdoors and I will do so when necessary

Play Restrictions
-Master difficulty
-NO HUD-no compass or health/stamina bars
-Carry weight: Cannot carry multiple heavy items or anything you couldn't realistically carry at one time, but no set weight restriction
-Have to sheath weapon(s) to use potions/poisons
-Can’t harvest/loot unreasonable items, like gold, gems and jewelry from animals
-No overpowered or unrealistic perks, like slowing time, armor weighs nothing, etc
-Must sleep 8 hours per day; can make exceptions if necessary
-Must eat 3 meals per day
-Must carry clothing of some sort at all times to wear under armor
-No swimming in freezing water (limited exceptions), or while wearing heavy armor!
-Can’t look at the map unless at a known location
-Getting hit by a trap kills you
-No fast travel but can use carts once per day
-No exploits/cheating, no chopping wood for money
-Manual saves only when sleeping/resting at an inn or house, or having a meal at these places (or shut-off-the-game-now emergencies!)
-Auto-saves are ok, but only for freezes, crashes, glitches or emergencies
-If character dies, can reload from most recent auto-save but must spend 7 days at the inn, spending 300 septims at the inn (to cover supposed room, board, healing potions, etc)
==>Allowed to spend less if already carrying food and/or healing potions, subtract 21 septims per day of food on hand and 12 per healing potion
-Skill books are allowed, but must wait at least 2 hours after reading
-No stealing from neutral or friendly NPCs
-No magic. Only use shouts and special abilities
-No crafting (except for the armor I created from my mod - NO enchanting or improving armor/weapons)
-Alchemy is okay - can only carry a reasonable amount of potions

Followers
-Must be fed the same as you
-Mercenaries must be rehired every day (500 septims/day or equal value through gifts)
-Non-Mercenaries must also be "paid" every day, but only 250/day since you have "earned" their help
-Dead is dead, no reloading

—Horses—another 10-15% carry weight
-Must assume this is left with the horse always
-Limited feeding—fruits & veggies everyday
-Dead is dead

—Dogs—no added carry weight
-Only need 2 meals per day, veggies and raw or cooked meat

Baelor

Starting a new journal guys. Just wanted to try something new. Back story to come. I plan to post 1-2 entries per week as these can get overwhelming to keep up with.

Baelor

Backstory

Derius Rykker was born in Cyrodiil in the town of Bravil. His mother and father were very poor and not the best parents. His father was stabbed to death in a tavern brawl when Derius was young. Not long after the death of his father, his mother became a skooma addict, and Derius was then sent to an orphanage to live until he came of age.

Once Derius reached the age of 11, he began acting out. He would often get into fights, steal from other kids at the orphanage, and would rarely follow rules. As a result, Derius was sent from orphanage to orphanage all the way up until he came of age. His behavior got worse as he got older, and his stays at the orphan halls got shorter and shorter. Derius never really made friends as nobody trusted him, and rightfully so. There were no limits to what Derius would do if he saw an opportunity to benefit himself or put some coin in his pocket.

Once Derius turned 18, he was promptly dismissed from the orphanage he was living in. For the next 7 years, he travelled throughout Cyrodiil. He was never in one place too long, but his travels did impart some valuable knowledge on him. He learned a little bit about swordsmanship from a Redguard in Anvil, and that is where he discovered that he preferred to use daggers when up close. A khajit in Bravil taught Derius how to use a bow and arrow, and this became his weapon of choice. He also learned some of the basics about making potions and poisons, as well as how to stick to the shadows and remain unseen when necessary. This was particularly useful to Derius as he’d always found it much easier to steal things than to work for the gold to buy them.

One night Derius was wandering the Imperial City, looking for a shop that may contain some items of value to him. He spotted a local general goods store and thought it would be as good of a target for robbery as any other. He waited until the patrolling guards wandered off, and he picked the lock to the front door. Quietly, he began sneaking around the inside of the store, trying to locate some jewels or other valuables. He then spotted a lockbox, and started to pick the lock. Unfortunately, Derius wasn’t being as quiet as he thought, and the shop owner appeared in the doorway behind him. Derius was startled, and adding to this was the fact that the owner appeared to be brandishing a weapon. Before Derius could even process what was happening, he drew his dagger and stabbed the owner multiple times, killing him. It was the first time he’d actually killed someone. He had contemplated it before, but never went through with it. Once the adrenaline had worn off, Derius stood over the body, looking at the man’s face. Strangely, he felt nothing. No sense of remorse or anything. In fact, he realized he only felt a sense of relief as he knew this man would not be able to turn him into the authorities for burglary.

Derius wiped his dagger clean and proceeded out the back of the shop, making sure the coast was clear. He knew it was time to leave. It was time to leave Cyrodiil, time to start a life somewhere else. There had to be an opportunity for him somewhere, but that place was not Cyrodiil. He packed up what little he had, which was nothing more than the clothes on his back, his dagger, and some camping equipment. He would head north to Skyrim. He wasn’t sure what to expect once he got there, but he knew he couldn’t stay in Cyrodiil, especially after killing a man. He’d die before he’d ever go to jail. So north he went, living off the land and whatever he could steal along the way as he journeyed to Skyrim.

Baelor

Is it inappropriate to post Dawnguard journal entries in this forum? I plan on doing the Dawnguard quest line but don't want to spoil it for others.

Octavia

~ Ryla <3
No, it should be fine. A spoiler tag in your posts would be a good idea though.

EDIT: Like putting a big 'SPOILER' at the top of your future entries.

Octavia

~ Ryla <3
I'll be sure to do that for any Dawnguard material. Thanks!

No problem, good work by the way.

You even inspired me to make a thief-based character (In my sig if you wanna see), which I'm having fun with so far!

Assassin99

YAY!!! a new one:D:D:D:D:D:D

Baelor

Entry #1

A brown leather book with blank pages. I am not sure why I picked this up. I found it in a small cottage I broke into while on the road into Skyrim. For some reason, for the first time in my life, I decided I would record some of the adventures I got myself into.

After what seemed like years of life on the road, surviving through hunting, living off the land, and stealing, I finally arrived in Skyrim. I crossed the border somewhere in between a town called Falkreath and a larger city called Riften. I made my way through the forests, keeping my direction as true north as possible, based on the sun, until I found a road. I saw no signs nearby, and I had never been to Skyrim, so I had no idea where to go. I guess I decided one way was just as good as the other, so I headed west. Along the road I ran into a farmer. He mentioned something about going to join the Legion, but that didn't interest me. I asked him where the nearest town was, and he said if I continued heading west I would soon hit Falkreath. He told me further east was Riften, but I decided to take the road to the nearest town. I asked him where the best place to make some coin was, and he mentioned Whiterun would be a good start, and that there was little opportunity in Falkreath. I decided to take his advice, and after stopping for a bite to eat in Falkreath, I planned to make my way to Whiterun.

It was dark when I arrived in Falkreath, so I decided to stay the night. I stopped at the local inn, ordered my first decent meal in what seemed like ages, and a pint of ale to wash it all down. It's hard to beat a nice, cold ale. The inn wasn't very busy, and I didn't make a lot of conversation with the patrons. I guess that is normal though. I've always been a loner. I rented a room, finished my ale, and went to bed.

Early the next morning I set out for Whiterun. The innkeeper pointed me in the right direction, and told me to simply follow the signs along the way. It wasn't too far down the road that I spotted a bridge over the road, with two bandits on each side of the bridge. I thought it best to avoid any possible confrontation for the time being, so I went left off the road, into the forest, and slowly crept past the two bandits. It was easy. Just like I had been taught a few years ago. Pick and choose your battles. Always have the upper hand.

I continued on the road and came upon a city with black smoke pouring out of it. As I approached, I was shocked at what I saw. It was completely burned to the ground. There were charred corpses littering the streets. Men, women, and children. What could have possibly done this? I didn't know what to think. I had a very strong sense of uneasiness here, so I left hastily. Perhaps later I would come back and investigate. For now, I just wanted to get to Whiterun.

I eventually came to a town called Riverwood, but not before being attacked by two wolves on the road. I dispatched of them easily enough. The leather I was wearing barely provided enough protection from their teeth, but I was able to dispatch them quickly with my dagger when they tried to latch onto my arm. I stopped in the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood for some food and a short rest. The innkeeper made small talk and even provided me with some opportunities to make some coin. Not only did he give me a bounty letter from the Jarl of Whiterun, but he told me about a boy in a city called Windhelm trying to contact the Dark Brotherhood. I knew the Dark Brotherhood once had a presence in Cyrodiil, but I thought they had long since disbanded. I definitely plan to pay a visit to this boy in the future. I never had an urge to join that organization, but something intrigued me about this opportunity.

After a quick bite to eat I continued on the road to Whiterun. Again I encountered a pack of wolves, and again I made short work of them. I was hoping the pelts I was collecting from them would make me some coin once I got to town. Finally, I rounded a turn on the path and saw a huge building overlooking the plains. That had to be Whiterun. I picked up my pace a bit, and made my way to the gates. After persuading the guard to let me in, I entered the city. This is where I would begin my new life. This is where I will make a living, one way or another.

DeriusRykker.png

Assassin99

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS MUST BE KEPT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baelor

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS MUST BE KEPT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you :)

I do plan to keep this one up. Like I said it will probably be limited to one or two posts a week (maybe 3). I just really wanted to start this new character. Lots of fun so far.

ah3nos

Nice work. I just recently started a journal myself. I enjoy reading them all so I thought it was time to start my own since I have never done a Skyrim rp. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Baelor

Nice work. I just recently started a journal myself. I enjoy reading them all so I thought it was time to start my own since I have never done a Skyrim rp. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Cool. Is your journal listed on the thread of journals?

Baelor

Entry #2

After arriving in Whiterun, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening roaming the city and acquainting myself with the area. I made brief stops into each shop to browse the items, although I knew I couldn't really afford anything right now. I may pay a visit to these shops after hours... when I can acquire some goods for free.

Eventually, I made my way to the Bannered Mare, as it seemed to be the place to go for food and drink. I took a seat at the bar and ordered a meal and a pint of ale. I made small talk with the barkeep and she mentioned there was a person in Riften who could change your face! It sounded bizarre to me. We continued talking, and I found out the Thieve's Guild had a small and dwindling presence in Riften. Perhaps they are looking for help.

After spending a few hours in the tavern, I rented a room from the innkeeper. My goal tomorrow is to visit the camp which I learned was north of Whiterun to kill this bandit and collect the bounty. I slept late the next day. It had been awhile since I had a decent nights sleep. Even when I stayed in Falkreath I only slept a few hours since I wanted to get to Whiterun as soon as possible. I bought some food with the remaining coins I had left and headed north out of town.

I equipped my bow and proceeded cautiously. These plains around Whiterun are wide open, providing very little cover. I wasn't sure who or what I would run into so I wanted to be as careful as possible. Eventually I came upon the what had to be the bandit camp. It was well fortified with a wooden fence all around. I spotted one bandit standing guard, and at least two others roaming. Outnumbered, I decided to wait until dusk to attack when the light would be more in my favor. With the height advantage on this hill, the cover of trees, fading light, and the element of surprise, I just might be able to prevail being outnumbered.

As the sun was falling behind the western mountains, I made my move. I careful drew my bow and notched an arrow, taking aim at the bandit standing watch (actually sitting watch). My first shot struck true, although it was not a very good hit. The bandit was still alive. I quickly notched another arrow and let loose. This time it hit the bandit in the chest, most likely piercing his heart as he dropped dead immediately.

My plan was working! The other three bandits were looking for me, but they didn't see where the arrows came from! One used magic and cast some sort of shield around himself. Since he was now easy to spot, I took aim at him. It took several arrows, as it can be difficult to hit a moving target, but he fell as well. However, the remaining two bandits knew the direction I was attacking from, and headed up the hill towards me. As the first one approached me over the hill, I let loose an arrow. I continued backing up as he came at me, and after hitting him with a few more well placed shots, he died. I was forced to draw my daggers now as the final bandit was closing in. We did battle briefly, and she eventually fell as I buried my dagger in her neck.

Entering the camp, I spotted another bandit ahead who was mining. Once again, two well placed shots with my bow ended his life. The gate proceeding down was locked, but this bandit happened to have a key, which saved me from having to pick the lock. I saw what had to be the leader of these bandits to my left in a small room, talking to himself. Strange. I peered over the balcony and spotted two more bandits. This would be tricky. I decided to pick off the weaker bandits first. If things got bad, I would run back out of the camp and hope they didn't follow me. My plan worked. I was eventually able to kill the two bandits, with the help of their own trap towards the entrance, and then had only the leader left.

I sneaked back down to the main room. This would be a dangerous fight. I used a paralyze poison on one of my daggers for when he closed the distance on me. I used some frostbite venom on my arrow and then took aim. The first arrow struck him in the back, but he had heavy iron armor on, so it did not kill him. I was able to land two more arrows on him before he found me. When I saw him charge and swing his huge war hammer I could feel my heart beating rapidly. The time was now. I darted in and jabbed him with my poisoned dagger, and he fell to the ground motionless. I used all the energy I could muster, unleashing strike after strike on him with my daggers. When he finally managed to make it back to his feet, it was too late. I brought my dagger across his throat with the last remaining strength I had, and he fell to the ground, dead.

After looting what I could carry from the room below, I went back outside. I searched the barrels and found some food. They even had a cooking spit setup. I spent an hour cooking up some raw meat I had found and enjoyed a nice meal of meat and cheese. It was delicious. Although it was night time now, I decided to proceed back to Whiterun. I didn't want to camp here tonight as I wasn't sure if any other bandits would show up. I ran quickly across the plains, and eventually reached the city. Tomorrow I will collect the bounty from the Jarl.

RunningAtNight.png

Baelor

Entry #3

Riften is my destination. After collecting the small bounty from the Jarl, I decided there had to be easier money to be made than this. Risking my life taking down multiple bandits for 100 septims isn't my idea of making a living. I have decided I will seek out the Thieve's guild and see if they truly have a presence here in Skyrim.

Tonight, however, I may pay a visit to some of these shops and see if I can get my hands on some valuables. I could use a few healing and stamina potions after using what few I had fighting those bandits at the camp. I am sure I can find something in the alchemy shop. I also plan to check the blacksmith to see if I can find something better than these iron daggers.

Assassin99

Good entry's

Baelor

Entry #4 -- ****DAWNGUARD SPOILERS****

After waking up the next morning I thought it may be best to see if I could pick up another bounty and earn a little extra coin before heading to Riften. I needed the practice anyway. Hunting wild game isn't the same as doing combat with another person. I had a lot to learn. So again I asked Hulda if she had any work, and again the Jarl had another bounty to be filled, this time for the bandit leader at the Silent Moons Camp near Whiterun.

Later that evening, I went to the Drunken Huntsman and restocked on arrows before heading out to the camp. I figured my strategy of using the element of surprise along with the cover of darkness worked well for me last time, so I would try it again. Heading across the plains, the camp came into view. I slowly crept towards it until I was close enough to scout for movement. I spotted a sentry, and unable to see any other enemies, I took aim. The first shot struck him in the shoulder, and he immediately covered his wound and began searching for me. That was the last thing he did, as my next arrow pierced his stomach, and he eventually bled out.

I proceeded into the camp, picking off bandits as I found them. Up the steps I went, all the way to the top. I let loose a few more arrows, killing what I thought was the last bandit, when a woman came charging at me with a sword drawn. I drew my daggers and narrowly avoided her first powerful strike. I side stepped and stabbed her twice with my daggers, but her hide armor protected her enough that I did not hit any vitals. Her next strike grazed my shoulder, but did not draw blood. I let loose a power attack that staggered her, and that gave me the opportunity to bury my dagger into her heart. Her lifeless body fell down the steps before coming to a rest.

I investigated the area up top and found a forge. There was a book on light armor forging, as well as another that described some special power this forge placed on weapons crafted from it. It sounded very interesting, but having no experience with smithing, it did me little good. Proceeding into the camp, I disposed of the remaining bandits, very happy to discover that this bandit leader wasn't nearly as skilled in battle as the previous one I slew. After collecting gold and valuables that I was able to carry, I headed back to Whiterun for the night.

The next morning, I woke up and had breakfast, then proceeded to Dragon's Reach to turn in my bounty. I went down to the market place after receiving my payment, and was approached by an Orc. He said they were reforming the Dawnguard, a group of vampire hunters near Riften. He told me it would be wise to head that way. I wasn't even aware there were vampires around. I had never had any dealings with vampires personally, except for what I read in books. I told him I would think about it.

So here I sit at the Bannered Mare, having a bite to eat and contemplating my next move. Should I seek out these vampire hunters or the Thieve's Guild? Were vampires even real or did this Orc have some ulterior motive? I have some choices to make.

Assassin99

Good post my friend.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts