Steel, Fire and Fame - Acilio's Journal

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
First off, credit to BIGwooly for the inspiration to a) play the game differently, b) play my character differently, and c) create a story and journal for my character's escapades.

I'd like to post my restrictions and options here, then use the next post to introduce the character backstory, then the entries begin.

*There will be some minor spoilers with regards Misc Quests, although I'm not planning on doing any of the real faction quests, with the possible exception of The Companions.*

- Difficulty - Master
- HUD set to 0%
- Brightness 2 clicks from the left (quite dark)
- Only carry 30% of what the game allows, no unrealistic items
- Must have a hand free to drink a potion
- No sneaking for unrealistic periods
- No harvesting unreasonable items - eg Jewels on animals (very, very, very occasional exceptions)
- No unrealistic perks - eg Shadow Warrior, Conditioning
- Must sleep for at least 7 hours a day, and eat at least 2 meals a day (exceptions due to circumstances)
- Must always carry clothing
- Armour can be damaged or even ruined by attacks as I judge reasonable, must be either left behind, repaired, or sold
- Only stay in freezing water for a few seconds, then immediately head to an inn/house/camp to warm up
- May not use the in-game map unless at a known location (I'll be using the paper one if I get lost )
- No fast travel - only by cart
- No exploits - eg Skill glitches, Alchemy/Enchanting/Smithing cycle
- If character is suffering from a disease, slowly declining action through loss of energy, must have a couple of days of limited action after being "cured"
- Dead if injured by a trap (in most cases)
- If character dies then make the progress as I had, up until death, then return to inn for a week, and buy relevant potions (eg resist shock when killed by shock mage, resist poison if killed by falmer/chaurus)
- If character dies alone in remote area (eg falmer den) then either DID or leaves cave with nothing after a few days, and limited spell casting and fighting abilities for a week or more.
- A mercenary's fee is for the first 2 days, then the same fee again every 2 days (able to give loot of equivalent value as valued by a merchant)
- Followers can only carry 30 weight of equipment they aren't using.
- Followers and pets - DID - pets must be fed at least 5 points of health a day, dogs mostly meat, horses only raw vegetables (assumed they also eat grass)
- Able to skin 2 wolves in an hour (thus a Sabre Cat would take about an hour and a half, etc)
- Ore veins take between 4 and 6 hours to mine, depending on the value of the ore.
- Early spells take about a week to learn, more complex spells take a while longer. This time is mitigated when helped by a follower - eg Marcurio.

If I think of any more I'll put them up here.

I'm hoping this character will be a little different to many of the characters I've played before, and many of the journals I've read on the forum so far. I'm aiming for the journal to contain a mixture of joyful triumphs and dark twists, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. I'm not a writer of any sort, but I enjoy a creative outlet and I really enjoy the community here.

Anyway, that's enough chit-chat, on with the journal!!

AS88

Staff member
15th Last Seed, Helgen

We’ve been here a couple of days now, waiting for General Tullius to get back after meeting the Thalmor in a secret location. Everyone’s getting restless, and some of the villagers are getting suspicious about the extra patrols around the south gate. I’m getting suspicious too, the longer we wait, the more likely something will go wrong. The last thing I want is Gattuso escaping, and the Stormcloaks, too.

Spent most of the day doing patrols with the boys, and I’ve been posted outside the walls near the cells for the night, on call for the night shift if I’m needed.

AS88

Staff member
16th Last Seed, Helgen

Courier turned up today, saying Tullius and the Thalmor should be here before tomorrow morning, and it’s not a moment too soon. The Stormcloaks are getting rowdy and I’m getting sick of their shouting and moaning – they made their choice.

I was put on prisoner watch early this morning, and Gattuso still hasn’t been gagged like I asked. If he’s given half a chance, he’ll talk every single one of these Nords around his little finger. I swear if I was given half a chance to leave the Legion without being beheaded for desertion I would, I’m sick of being a dogsbody for these good-for-nothing idiot Officers. I’ve worked harder than every single one of them. I’m smarter, I’m in better shape, and I’m stronger in battle, what else can I do? Father told me I’d be a Legate by the time I’m thirty, well I’m nearly twenty-six and I’m still mopping floors and feeding prisoners, I’m better than this!

Even Tullius himself doesn’t care. I bring one of the most elusive fugitives in Cyrodiil to his tent and he gives me nothing more than a half smile and an Alto Wine – I expect a damn promotion! Maybe then I could leave this backwater village and go back to the Imperial City. Even working with the damnable Thalmor would be more entertaining than this!

I’ll need to regain my composure for tomorrow, Tullius and Elenwen will be here for the executions and I’ll have to be on the lookout, some of the villagers have been airing their opinions on us being here, and somehow rumours have spread that tomorrow we’ll be holding executions. We’ve been told it’ll be quite early in the morning, hopefully it’ll be over and done with before everyone wakes up and emerges.

AS88

Staff member
17th Last Seed, Falkreath

Well, the phrase “be careful what you wish for” seems appropriate today. It seems I finally have my chance to leave the Legion, although not in the circumstances I could ever expect, or wish for.

A Dragon. Just before the axe came down on Gattuso’s neck.

I wouldn’t have believed it myself had I not been there, a black winged fortress of spikes and scythes and fire, blazing through the village without a care. People died where they stood as the beast killed indiscriminately, no matter whether they were holding a sword, a bow or a broom.

I helped who I could, but didn’t join the archers trying to bring the beast down; they must have had a death wish. I spotted Gattuso following a pair of Stormcloaks into the keep, and I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’s managed to escape. I haven’t seen him since; hopefully he died in the rubble.

The fort was littered with dead, Stormcloaks and Imperials alike, some crushed and some killed in battle. I took some boots and gauntlets from one of the Officers - everyone knows they’re much better than the light armour the rest of us have to wear. I ended up needing them when a wounded bear attacked me as I wandered out through a set of cave tunnels. My Legion studded armour was ruined by its claws and I’ve got three scars on my chin from the fight.

Turns out the cave led me to relative safety, and I realised I wasn’t far from Lake Ilinalta. I washed my face in the lake after touching the Warrior Stone for luck. I know it’s silly, but I feel as though I’m going to need all the luck I can get these next few days.

I knew that Falkreath wasn’t too far from the southwest tip of the lake, so I followed the shore west. I’ve already found from experience that wandering Skyrim alone without armour is dangerous, and was lucky to survive a fight with a pack of five wolves, and my clothes I usually wear under my armour are shredded and bloody. I’d had barely ten minutes to catch my breath before I was involved in another fight to the death. I’d continued my trek west and heard the sounds of battle; clashing of steel and iron. I quickened my pace and saw a hunter being attacked by three heavily armoured bandits. I rushed to help out of instinct and habit, but soon turned heel and ran after finding these men knew how to use their weapons and were much more well outfitted than I. I ran for about half an hour as they gave chase, and I only lost them after hiding in the crags in the mountains above Falkreath. After a few moments of silence I’d heard their footsteps trail off and I left hastily towards the town.

Falkreath isn’t a large place, even for Skyrim, so I reported straight to the Hold King Jarl, for work. Understandably, he didn’t have any interest in giving work to someone who looked like a beggar, and ordered me to leave before he sent for his Housecarl.

Luckily for me, I’d managed to find a few bags of Septims on my way out of Helgen, and I had just enough to take a room at Dead Man’s Drink and feed myself for the night. I’ll have to see what tomorrow brings, hopefully a change of clothes.

It seems I’m finally free of the Legion, there’s no way that they can identify every soldier dead or alive. I have my wish, now I must make my own way.

AS88

Staff member
18th Last Seed, Riverwood

Today’s been more successful than I’d expected. Before I even left Falkreath I’d been given enough coin to get myself some temporary armour. I helped out an old Nord named Thadgeir by delivering some ashes to the Priest of Arkay, who took pity on me and gave me a large coinpurse full of Septims from the Temple chest. I felt a little embarrassed taking it, but it was exactly what I’ve needed to get myself going. I used most of it on some fairly poor hide armour I bought from a pair of Stormcloaks running the general store. It’s the sort of armour you would expect a hunter to wear, but it served its purpose today.

I spoke to Nenya, the Jarl’s steward, who handed me a bounty note for some bandits hiding in a mine near Lake Ilinalta. After studying the vague map, I realised I was less than five minutes away yesterday, but no matter, at least I know where I’m going. Hopefully I’ll be able to buy a map from one of the traders in the coming days.

After a few hours walking, I found the mine entrance. The floor was bloodied, but there was no body, so I readied my sword and entered with care. I headed through the mine and found half a dozen bodies piled up in a corner. They were clearly bandits, and I have no idea how they died other than the wounds and arrow marks they all shared. After a while I came across a fairly impressive cave in which the bandits had set up a basic forge and kitchen. The floor here was also bloodstained, someone has been here recently. Hopefully the bounty will still be available when I get back.

Things had been strewn across the hallways, as if in a rush to offload loot to tend to their fallen comrades, and I made sure to take whatever I could carry. Finally I headed into the large cave itself, and was set upon by four furious bandits. I think they thought I was responsible for the massacre, and had every intention of making me suffer the same fate as their friends. I used the tight walkways around the cave to my advantage and made fairly short work of the bandits, who let their fury get in the way of their battle technique and gave me ample opportunity to cut them down.

Whoever had made it here before me had taken a good collection of loot to be sure, I found a piece of scrappy parchment headed “Misin Loote” and a number of gems and a piece of armour made up the list. That’s not to say there wasn’t plenty for me too, obviously the bandits I’d killed had just arrived back from a successful job somewhere else, and I took my own share of gems and coin, as well as my most prized loot – a couple of rings and a magical staff. I’m not sure what it’s for but just holding it made me feel evil.

One of these bandits had been a redguard of similar build to me, maybe a touch taller. He wore a set of armour made mostly of iron, and I had killed him purposefully without damaging his armour, slashing just at his exposed elbows and neck. Luckily for me I managed to salvage it, and washed it in the spring in the cave before hammering at it on the bandit’s workbench. I’ve managed to get it to a reasonable fit, but I’m not sure this is a long-term solution – I’d rather have steel.

After I’d gathered as much as I could carry, I headed out of the back of the cave, and into the evening. I saw the twinkling of candlelight and followed it to where I write this entry from – the aptly-named village of Riverwood. By the time I made it into the village, the smith had retired for the evening, but the general trader’s door was still ajar. I managed to sell all of the loot, the Imperial was willing to buy everything I had, and I dare say I left his store with almost a thousand Septims. I spent some of my earnings taking a room for the night at the Sleeping Giant Inn, and treating myself to a decent meal. I also managed to slip a change of clothes into my pack, a pleasant change from the rags I’ve been wearing, no doubt.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow and I’m in good spirits after a few mugs of ale. I plan to claim the bounty from the Jarl of Falkreath, and then head back this way; Whiterun is a few hours north of here by foot, and I’m sure to find work there.

AS88

Staff member
19th Last Seed, Abandoned Camp, near Riverwood

Ugh, I feel terrible.

Today started fairly well, I made good progress back to Falkreath and ran into very little trouble considering the stench from the bandit’s head in my pack. Only later did I find that’s not usually the way things are done in Skyrim, much to my surprise.

From then, things have continued to go downhill. I made it back to Falkreath, and collected my bounty. I now know bounties are worth much less than the loot you will find on your foes – one hundred Septims. No wonder there’s so many bandits; it’s more profitable to be one than to hunt them. So, I asked if there were any other bounties I could take, to find they had been taken. Nenya described the man as an Imperial, with long dark hair and blue eyes, wearing nice leather armour. I refuse to even consider that Gattuso has managed to get his thieving hands on a set of armour and find work before me, just the thought of it makes my blood absolutely boil, so I’m not thinking about it.

Frustrated, I left the town, and headed back towards Riverwood with the intention of carrying on to Whiterun probably tomorrow. Only that hasn’t happened. I was walking back along the shore of Lake Ilinalta when I was attacked by more wolves, and one managed to nick into my arm and draw blood. I killed the wolves, but felt a fever coming on within the hour, and I’m convinced I’ve caught Rockjoint. I’d bought a cure disease potion from the trader in Riverwood, and I’ve taken it, but I fear I’ll need a healer before I feel normal again.

I slowed my pace and tried to breathe normally to prevent the fever setting in, but the heavens opened and the storm sent rain down with force. I’ve managed to revive a fire left at a camp, and I’m calling this tent home for tonight, but I’m going to have to get an early start and try to make it to Whiterun tomorrow. I suppose I’m lucky I’ve got the coin to pay for a healer. I suppose I’m lucky to be alive.

AS88

Staff member
Thanks very much for your comments, guys. I've got a few entries that I'd forgotten about already written up, so they'll be on their way gradually. Won't be putting them all up at once though, I want to keep you hooked :p

Here's a picture of Acilio on his way to Falkreath

IMAG0066_zps8708744e.jpg

AS88

Staff member
20th Last Seed, Whiterun

It seems there’s no such thing as a normal day in Skyrim. I may as well start from the beginning.

I woke early this morning, which was lucky considering that five minutes later I was attacked by a group of bandits. I woke up in a cold sweat, feeling ill, but the fight to the death seemed to liven up my senses a little, especially when I searched their bodies and found that one of them was wearing some very valuable jewellery. Not only that, they’d been guarding a chest full of valuable circlets and gemstones. I held a quick pace to Riverwood and made a couple hundred Septims from the jewellery before heading to the blacksmith. Alvor fitted me up for some steel armour he had stored away and I bought it, a chest piece, boots and gauntlets in return for my iron and the coin I’d made from the bandit chest's contents before continuing to Whiterun.

The walk to Whiterun was as I expected, and the view from the roadside was as picturesque as any I’ve seen on my travels with the Legion. Getting into the city, however, proved to be a costly event and I had to bribe one of the guardsmen to let me in. Maybe they're not all quite as noble and honest as they claim.

I paid little attention to the city or its residents as I followed a guard’s directions to the Temple of Kynareth. The priestess, Danica, was reluctant to heal me until I brandished another coinpurse in front of her face, it seems I’ll need to be rich if I want anything done for me in this city. By the time I’d paid the guard and priestess, I’d spent almost five hundred Septims. No matter, I took my place on the bed and felt the aches and fever melt away as Danica worked quickly to see to my ills. She also took a brief moment to speed up the healing on a couple of my wounds, including the scratch marks from the bear, although I fear they’ll be a permanent fixture on my chin.

I was resting peacefully in the evening when the whole Temple shuddered from a deafening noise. Plates and bottles smashed on the floor, and many of Whiterun’s citizens flooded onto the streets. Not ten minutes later the city gates opened and a Nord walked into the city flanked by half a dozen city guards. The group made their way through the crowds and into the Jarl’s palace – Dragonsreach. The noise in the city continued to build and build and words I’ve never heard filled the air. “Dovahkiin...” “Dragonborn...”

The palace doors were closed for almost an hour until the Nord emerged, carrying a fine battleaxe and responding to the crowd with an unimaginable shout, the loudest sound I’ve ever heard from a person, it seemed to carry such force as it echoed through the evening smog. The crowds cheered and the Nord steadily made his way through the crowds and into the Bannered Mare.

I followed, intrigued by this man, and found myself talking to another Nord by the name of Jon Battle-Born, at the bar in the Bannered Mare. He told me all about the Nordic legend of the Dragonborn, and reminded me that Tiber Septim himself had been Dragonborn, before he became deified as Talos. We talked for a couple of hours about the city, and where to find work. Apparently I won’t struggle for work, and if I’m good enough in battle even the Companions may be interested in taking new members.

I ended up taking the last room at the Bannered Mare, and also received a bounty note from Hulda – the innkeeper. She runs a fine inn, but her prices are a little steep, I’ll have to work hard if I want to make real progress. I have a target for tomorrow at least – Valtheim Keep.

AS88

Staff member
I love the reference to the Dragonborn being some random Nord. :)

Yeah, it was tough to bend the story around him finding the time to do Bleak Falls. I actually used two separate saves to test the time I could do Bleak Falls in to see how much I'd need to fiddle with the journal :p

A few months down the line, I'll probably have to do it again if/when he is 'recovering in an inn' to make progress with the Main Quest on Novice. Mostly just to update the guard dialogue so Acilio can hear the news about the Dragonborn.

AS88

Staff member
21st Last Seed, Graveyard, roughly two hours west of Whiterun

Oh Gods, this is frustrating. I can see the lights of Whiterun from here, but I know it would be foolish to follow them at this time of night.

I woke this morning bright and early feeling much better, and explored the city in my new steel armour until the traders opened up their businesses. The first thing I noticed at the market was an argument between two elderly people who you would think would have a little more dignity. I spoke to the woman who asked me to help her, and come to her house so we could speak privately. I noted where she lived but did another few minutes of walking before entering to avoid unwanted attention. During these minutes I was approached by a pair of Redguards asking for my aid in finding a Redguard woman they were looking for. I immediately thought of the pretty young thing I had dreamt about the night before, Saadia.

Without another thought for the old woman I headed to the Bannered Mare and spoke to Saadia, who claimed the men were assassins employed by the Thalmor. She asked that I speak to one of their ranks who had been caught sneaking into the city, and try to find where the group were hiding. On the way to the jail, I listened to old Fralia’s concerns, but the woman is mad, she expects me to break into the Battle-Born’s house and steal information which may or may not be there, with a view to breaking her son from Imperial custody, or worse, Thalmor custody. I understand her concern, but I’m no fool – they’re on their own.

I spoke to the Alik’r in jail and learned that their leader, Kematu, had the rest of the band holed up with some bandits in a cave named Swindler’s Den, a few hours west of the city. I left immediately and bought a military map from the general merchant, it was old and a little tattered around the edges, but it was still perfectly usable. I asked a passing guard to mark my map with the location of the cave and off I went.

My map was as useful as I’d hoped and soon enough I’d reached the cave. The bandits in side were a danger in numbers, but I mostly used the cave tunnels to my advantage to take them on one at a time. I was surprised how large the cave was, and how many valuables the bandits had stored here, I picked up hundreds of Septims worth of loot and coins.

I waded through a flooded tunnel and heard a voice call to hold weapons. I hadn’t expected to speak with Kematu, but he was reasonable and allowed me to empty the bandit’s chest of anything I wanted in return for the delivery of Saadia to Whiterun stables tomorrow. He let me into his plan and told me his side of the story – that Saadia had sold the Reguards out to the Thalmor, at the cost of Taneth.

I now have a dilemma, assuming I survive the night. Do I try to break Saadia out of the city, do I try to kill Kematu and take what I can from his corpse and run myself, or do I simply hand Saadia over? After eyeing Kematu and his band of eight or nine, there’s no doubt I would perish in a fight against even one or two of his men, it is well known that Redguards are born skilled with a blade. I don’t know what Saadia has to offer me, except the obvious, but I’m of a mind that Kematu would find a way to track us down. I shall hand her in, I have made my decision as I write.

I left the cave into the evening air, and more time had passed than I had anticipated. I headed east but soon realised I wouldn’t make it back to the city. I followed the light from a couple of dim fires or torches and came across what I can only described as a small graveyard – only the skeletons here weren’t dead. They came at me with sword and axe, and my confusion cost me a few seconds of preparation. I’d missed the opportunity to loose arrows at the corpses, so I readied my sword and shield and stumbled at the impossible force of the skeleton’s blows. After a few minutes I had diffused whatever energy powered their limbs, as well as killing a Draugr that emerged from the central sarcophagus. I decided to call it a night, and moved the small fires closer to me to provide some warmth.

I managed to open a chest next to sarcophagus; I’ve had nothing better to do as midnight crept closer. Although it took me at least two hours and ten broken lockpicks to get in, it’s surely worth it. I found an enchanted iron helmet, and a steel chestpiece also enchanted with some magical energy.

I’m exhausted now, but I’ve made the decision to leave my shield here in the morning. This steel armour is too valuable to leave, and I can carry it over my shoulder if I leave my shield here. It’s risky, but I don’t think I can afford to miss the opportunity.

AS88

Staff member
22nd Last Seed, Whiterun

After last night, I’m never sleeping rough again. I managed to stagger back to the city, but my illness has come back, partly due to the dew running down my armour from the cold, and my body heat melting the layer of frost into my clothes. Thankfully I’d set off early enough to arrive in Whiterun before business had begun, giving me chance to have a couple of hours of warm sleep at the Mare.

When I woke again I headed to the alchemist and bought another cure disease potion and some healing potions, which I’ve been sipping most of the day. The risk of leaving my shield behind paid off for me, and the loot I took from the bandit chest and the steel armour I found at the graveyard netted me a total of almost a thousand Septims, four hundred of which I spent on a new steel shield.

After I’d lightened my pack I decided to finish this business with Saadia. Honestly I feel bad about lying to her about her safety, but had I lied to the Alik’r I may have found myself at the end of Kematu’s scimitar. It seems I’d made the right choice, as Kematu cast a spell on Saadia mid-sentence which made her drop like a sack of potatoes. He made a point of giving me some extra coin for my aid, as well as telling me not to be swayed by a pretty face. He read my like a book, which really annoys me but I suppose is fairly predictable. I suppose I am fairly predictable for that matter, I must make myself more mysterious.

I’ve spent the rest of the day in the Mare, after buying a book from Belethor. I’ve made an effort to stay off my feet today and fix my fever, and I’ve read most of this book already. About the Thieves Guild, the book tells how the Guild has faltered lately. There’s a bit of background about Riften, too, and I think I’ll head there next, I’d rather not have to venture too far into the cold north, especially at this time of year.

Tomorrow I’ll look into this bounty at Valtheim Keep, I’ve given Hulda instructions for food supplies and she’s said they’ll be waiting for me early in the morning.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts