PC Serious scrolling/mouse wheel problem

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ElPhezo

Just recently I was playing and something really weird happened. In Skyrim and only in Skyrim my scrolling on my mouse got really screwed up to where its either always scrolling up or always scrolling down. The menus have become almost impossible to navigate. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they dealt with it. I've unplugged my mouse, restarted Skyrim, restarted my computer, checked the settings in Skyrim for mouse scrolling settings (there are none that I found), and on top of that the scrolling on my mouse works fine in anything else, and it happens on any of my saves.

morte88

Good old Bethesda

Don't expect a fix anytime soon. If there is one on the way it will probably break/replace the draugr with my little ponies or something equally stupid.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hm. I have a Razer Death Adder (also running Win7-64bit) and I don't have any issues with the mouse scrolling like you guys have stated. Have you tried searching on Bethesda itself to see if there's a known hardware issue with this particular mouse model? Or maybe Razer's site? Do you have any specific mouse software installed? It doesn't seem like it should require some funky driver but.... who knows.

Hexaltate

I'm using razer drivers and I can now tell it is a mouse wheel problem because when I de-activate it everything is fine. To do this you go either in your mouse driver software or you can try this if you don't have any specific software:

Some Simple Steps:
  1. Goto Control Panel in Start Button
  2. Double Click on Mouse
  3. Go to Hardware Tab
  4. Select Mouse in Devices
  5. Then Click Properties
  6. Click the Advance Settings tab
  7. Change the Wheel Detection field to Detection Disable
  8. Click OK.

Meanstreak

Just an FYI, I play on a laptop and run into the same issues with my touch pad. I always have to quit and restart the game. I end up getting stuck in quests because I can't navigate the menus.

I also had the same problem in Oblivion on my desktop, with a Logitech mouse.

Extremely annoying. :mad:

Zlorfik

I've got the same problem on my Laptop which runs Win 7 64bit. I tried 2 different (Logitech) mice and I get the bug with both of them. I doubt it is a hardware problem. Both drivers are up to date so software shouldn't be the problem either.
It happened after not playing Skyrim for about a week in the companions questline. I doubt it is something from this quest as the bug applies to all save files. So the problem must be caused by Skyrim itself. What means that Bethesda is the one who needs to fix it.
At the moment it is unplayable like this as you get stuck in almost every quest including dialogue...

Hexaltate: What you're proposing is just deactivating the problem. But it's still there, it's not solved. And I'm using my mouse wheel also when not playing Skyrim so I will not deactivate it just for a game...

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I've got the same problem on my Laptop which runs Win 7 64bit. I tried 2 different (Logitech) mice and I get the bug with both of them. I doubt it is a hardware problem. Both drivers are up to date so software shouldn't be the problem either.
It happened after not playing Skyrim for about a week in the companions questline. I doubt it is something from this quest as the bug applies to all save files. So the problem must be caused by Skyrim itself. What means that Bethesda is the one who needs to fix it.
At the moment it is unplayable like this as you get stuck in almost every quest including dialogue...

Hexaltate: What you're proposing is just deactivating the problem. But it's still there, it's not solved. And I'm using my mouse wheel also when not playing Skyrim so I will not deactivate it just for a game...

Some things you can try:

First in options disable controllers (i.e. Xbox, etc)

Then in SpyrimPrefs.ini edit and change the line to bMouseAcceleration=0

Then find and change the other one to this iPresentInterval=0

Zlorfik

Thanks for that. I fixed it by deleting Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini
I don't have any controllers and mouse acceleration was never a problem for me. the iPresentInterval may be useful though.

Zlorfik

The most up to date which is 1.8.151.0. I'm running Skyrim on PC through Steam and have the option "always keep game up to date" enabled, so it should be the most updated version...

Btw: After just some minutes it appeared again but this time I have a hint: As I'm playing on my notebook, I can unplug my mouse. It was unplugged when I started and while the game was running, I plugged it in. Next dialogue I had was already bugged. So maybe it has something to do with that?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wonder... I always have my big mouse plugged in before I start the game and I've not had issues. Maybe in the startup, it needs to detect the extra mouse immediately or it has fits.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts