• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Hey everyone, also curious as to what everyone's save file size is: mine just got to 16mb, and i'm kind of concerned about the size and was wondering about reducing it.

tragik

Premium Member
Mine (xbox) was at 10-12mb with 400 save files. I was a level 53 and only half way through the main quest.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
I'm on PC, not console, but my largest save file, at 112 hours and lvl. 81 is 11.4MB. They're all small enough I can keep them backed up on a flash drive for safe keeping. ;)

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Thank you for the replies back; not sure what i'm doing to get 16mb at only level 46. Not really a hoarder, but I def. am keeping some armor and weapons that I like as well as some ingots since I like to smith.

the only thing I'm thinking maybe all the books I got stored but still 16mb?

Cube

try savegame scanner (you can find it at Skyrim Nexus web).. I'm playing on PC but I'm trying to solve the problem with increasing of my save games lv. 60 approx. 31mb.. this size causes freezing and framerate problems... but fileformat for save games files are the same.. even on x360.. the problem is in "1001 papyrus section" where all the scripts are saved.. because everything you do in Skyrim is tracked and stored.. some poeople says that waiting for a month should help (in game :D)

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Thanks for the reply Cube; problem was actually solved for the most part when I downloaded patch 1.4. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your save file. I think patch 1.4 is supposed to be available for PC users via steam. Maybe get the patch and see if it helps? I don't play on PC, but on PS3.

Nakatsu_Hime

Probably the following would help to reduce filesize. Mostly obvious, but obviousness is a good trait - possibly.

- As few active quests as possible;
- Only one house;
- As few stored items as possible;
- Minimal inventory;
- Don't speak to anyone unless you really have to.

Cube

Just a few hours ago I've tried to completely turn off the "Papyrus script trace and log system" with console commands - even after that the save game-file is still increasing its size approx. 0.1mb pro save... there has to be some bug like well known & neverending "arrow in to the knee" in the 1001 papyrus script section, that is multiplying itself in to infinity or something like that...

but anyway thanks boys for all your advices :)) but nothing worked for me... so if there will be any solution, then I'm going to post it here...

Thomas Liu

tyl089
I also turn off my auto save option when playing on ps3 even with patch 1.4 downloaded. I don't know if PC version have auto save or not, but if you do, see if turning that option off helps a bit?

Nakatsu_Hime

Autosave has helped prevent my looking with despair at my PS3's Gamesave folder after a session and thinking 'What the....??!'

Cube

finaly, I've found solution.. first of all I scanned the savefile - there was main 7mb save file and then the second 40mb part with papyrus sripts for tracing and logging data.. there I've found three mods with biggest amount of saved scripts and these mods I've tried to disable, (even if they are good and "not bugged" in general, then obviously they are just not optimized for such a detailed tracing system as Skyrim has)... after few hours of playing (aprox. 10 in-game days) went the size of save file from 47mb to 24mb and this trend continues.. of course freezing is gone as well for now..

mods that caused my trouble were:
1. Warzones (almost half of increased size from papyrus section)
2. Art of Magicka
3. Deadly Dragons (spells, armory, dragons)

btw. upcoming update 1.6 should be solution for most savefile-related bugs

Cube

Ivo

finaly, I've found solution.. first of all I scanned the savefile - there was main 7mb save file and then the second 40mb part with papyrus sripts for tracing and logging data.. there I've found three mods with biggest amount of saved scripts and these mods I've tried to disable, (even if they are good and "not bugged" in general, then obviously they are just not optimized for such a detailed tracing system as Skyrim has)... after few hours of playing (aprox. 10 in-game days) went the size of save file from 47mb to 24mb and this trend continues.. of course freezing is gone as well for now..

mods that caused my trouble were:
1. Warzones (almost half of increased size from papyrus section)
2. Art of Magicka
3. Deadly Dragons (spells, armory, dragons)

btw. upcoming update 1.6 should be solution for most savefile-related bugs

Cube
Hello, I also have the same problem. A week ago the freezing started. I found that its a save game related and I reverted back to an older save. I lost 10 hours of gameplay (180hours 70mb!!! I installed also a mod (I don't remember its name, which fixes the save game bloat), my save went from 70mb to 17mb). But today the freezing started again (now my save is 17mb 190 hours). I can't revert (I don't want to) back. So I found your post. I have a few questions:

I opened my save with the scanner, but I don't understand anything:
[Table 1001 22860] Math
[Table 1001 22861] sqrt
[Table 1001 22862] X
[Table 1001 22863] Y
[Table 1001 22864] Z
[Table 1001 22865] WarpToRandomPoint
[Table 1001 22866] SetPosition
[Table 1001 22867] SetAngle
[Table 1001 22868] fireTrap
[Table 1001 22869] SetUpAnims
[Table 1001 22870] ResolveLeveledDamage
[Table 1001 22871] PlayAnimationAndWait
[Table 1001 22872] PlayAnimation
[Table 1001 22873] ResetLimiter
[Table 1001 22874] OnActivate
[Table 1001 22875] activateRef
[Table 1001 22876] triggerRef
[Table 1001 22877] initialize
[Table 1001 22878] Hold
[Table 1001 22879] Fragment_0
[Table 1001 22880] VictimActor
[Table 1001 22881] WIs
[Table 1001 22882] WIAssaultedFaction
[Table 1001 22883] AddToFaction
[Table 1001 22884] GetOwningQuest
[Table 1001 22885] GetActorRef
[Table 1001 22886] DismissFollower
[Table 1001 22887] playanim02
[Table 1001 22888] playanim03
[Table 1001 22889] TryToAttach
[Table 1001 22890] ::temp34
[Table 1001 22891] AliasLoadingOrUnloading
[Table 1001 22892] ::temp25
[Table 1001 22893] TryToDisable
[Table 1001 22894] RegisterForSingleLOSGain
[Table 1001 22895] pacifyAlias
[Table 1001 22896] Kill
[Table 1001 22897] OnCellLoad
[Table 1001 22898] CheckForDisable
[Table 1001 22899] GetBaseObject
[Table 1001 22900] [Activator < (000E1FB4)>]
[Table 1001 22901] [Activator < (000E2FF9)>]
[Table 1001 22902] savemedaddy
[Table 1001 22903] myExecutionee
[Table 1001 22904] AddDependentAnimatedObjectReference
[Table 1001 22905] Notification
[Table 1001 22906] dependence broken.
[Table 1001 22907] RemoveDependentAnimatedObjectReference
[Table 1001 22908] OnUnload
[Table 1001 22909] OnLocationChange
[Table 1001 22910] OnReset
[Table 1001 22911] OnEffectFinish
[Table 1001 22912] OnStoryScript
[Table 1001 22913] OnObjectUnequipped
[Table 1001 22914] OnObjectEquipped
How can I find which mod causes the freeze?
Please help! :)

edit: I uninstalled some mods, waited (slept) whole month in game and now my save went from 18.500 to 17.600mb but its still lagging.

Cube

Hello, I also have the same problem. A week ago the freezing started. I found that its a save game related and I reverted back to an older save. I lost 10 hours of gameplay (180hours 70mb!!! I installed also a mod (I don't remember its name, which fixes the save game bloat), my save went from 70mb to 17mb). But today the freezing started again (now my save is 17mb 190 hours). I can't revert (I don't want to) back. So I found your post. I have a few questions:

edit: I uninstalled some mods, waited (slept) whole month in game and now my save went from 18.500 to 17.600mb but its still lagging.
maybe the list of all installed mods from NNM or BOSS.gui will be better, because from 1001 papyrus section without creation kit is almost impossible to recognize what is causing the problem...

I've already tried how big impact have different mods on your save-file size.. (actually not only mods but even the way how you act in Skyrim)

Here you have a few "savegame-size killers" that I've discovered:

1. Deadly dragons mod - esspecially Deadly dragons armory pack with textures and meshes, they will propably cause any damage until you have some items in your own inventory..
2. Art of Magicka mod - allmost 1gb of absolutely unoptimized textures and meshes... even ingame preveiw of those items is a big problem - if you have it installed, say good-bye to this mod...
3. Warzones - Civil unrest mod - huge amount of copied NPC's, dead bodies and weapons all over Skyrim waiting one or two months for delete or respawn... - for me was this one a winner :D
4. "Your in game acting" - that means if you'll drop items everywhere, shout indoors and often cast spells like lightnings and hiting all the stuff arround you, then everything will be traced, logged and saved in your savegame file...

simply - the best solution is to find mods like these with big packs of weapons, armory or NPC's and disable them or completely uninstall.. (other thing that maybe will help to reduce the savegame size is SMCO utility for Skyrim data optimization - skyrim.nexusmods.com) [but do not optimize water textures with this tool!!.. (CTDs & loss of ability to see under water are possible results of this action)]...

.. last and maybe the most important step is to download this mod: No Boring Sleep-Wait Menu at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community and wait for a month (ingame time).. save your game.. quit and check if it helped... *your save won't be reduced all at one time but with every next save will be the size smaller and smaller...

hope it will help in some way ;))

Cube

Cube

try to send me or paste here the list of your mods .. I could try to simulate your conditions and find out which of these mods are the most memory-consuming.. ;)) but guys from Bethseda have already said on their forum that patch 1.6 should repair all these lags and bugs..

redwinmumba

I'm having some problems along these lines as well - mayor script lag when getting on and off my horse, when finishing/updating a quest (picking up an item or talking to a npc). And i'm running the 1.6 beta and wondering if they have fixed anything yet, or if i'll have to wait for the official release for a change?

also i stopped using warzones, but deadly dragons i like - do you know if deadly dragons is heavy if it is JUST the dragons?

Cube

I'm having some problems along these lines as well - mayor script lag when getting on and off my horse, when finishing/updating a quest (picking up an item or talking to a npc). And i'm running the 1.6 beta and wondering if they have fixed anything yet, or if i'll have to wait for the official release for a change?

also i stopped using warzones, but deadly dragons i like - do you know if deadly dragons is heavy if it is JUST the dragons?
I'll check the changelog for 1.6beta and report back...

about deadly dragons.. just dragons are fine.. even spells.. most problems causes the armory pack.. I have tried to put in my inventory 3 full sets from DD armory and save-game file size was increased from 17mb to 150mb with only one save... page file boost: 2gb... those textures are just bad as hell!..

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts