PC Performance & Lag issue

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hauntworld

Hi, i installed skyrim on my pc, love the game so far !

But i have a problem, not major but still enough to annoy me.

I'm running skyrim 1600x900 resolution, AA off, AF x16, Ultra texture, max fades except grass, FXAA on, decal ultra and no water reflection.

Heres the thing, skyrim runs great, decent fps and smooth gameplay. The problem is, i often get lags because of the map loading, like every 20 seconds or less the game lags for 1-2 seconds to load the map constantly, i had 2 freezes of maybe 10 seconds in total not more for now. Is there any way i can make my game to load a bigger part of the map so the game wont lag a lot to take time to load a small part of the map, yes i tried to lower graphic settings but things didn't change, it seems graphics doesn't affect my problem and it's more like my pc takes too much time to load the map, i have a lot of saves though, should i delete some of my saves ? what should i do to fix my problem ?

Heres my computer spec:

AMD Athlon II x2 220 2.90ghz Overclocked
3gb ram
Windows 7 64 Pro
AMD Radeon HD 6670 1gb 2.1 pci-e Overclocked
All drivers and windows updates are done
Running game booster before starting skyrim
I installed perfomance mod with d3d9.dll fix
Did the performance mod the tweaks tesv.exe to make skyrim use more ram
Running skyrim on high priority

Kieran

I am having the same problem. It is CPU related. I am running a duel core E6750 at 3.4ghz. When the freeze occurs I notice my CPU usage hits 100%. At 2.6ghz I see 90% usage on average. 3.4ghz I see 75% to 80% on average but this makes no difference. Cpu still spikes to 100% every so often. Tried using very low graphics settings to very high and no difference either. Disabled all background apps. Problem occurs when running or on my horse or when there is a whole bunch of stuff going on at once. Can anyone help? Any way to reduce cpu usage in this game????????? THANKS!!!

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Hmm, well i've heard people having problems like this and it being related to their anti-virus software. If your anti-virus has active file scan then that could be your culprit right there. It's trying to scan every file being used by skyrim whenever it calls for something.

Kieran

I have tried disabling AVG anti-virus and still does not help!!! :/ I have been given a tip to stop windows search indexing so ill try that as well and let you know how it went.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
There's a ton of things you could turn off.

Here's a quick list:
1. Update services
2. 3rd party software that isn't being used (i.e Apple Software)
3. Windows Indexing/Search features
4. Printing services

If you could, try playing in windowed mode with task manager on so you can see what all programs are hogging your CPU.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
That fixes it for you, plus you didn't mention you had XP. The OP actually has Windows 7 and is running into this problem.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts