Spoiler Paarthurnax and the Blades

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rena

Okay. I really want to do the Blades questline in Skyrim BUT they want me to kill a certain someone and I don't think that's necessary. They told me to kill Paarthurnax (basically for no reason) and I refused to. Then at the end of the game he disappears and now its IMPOSSIBLE for me to kill him and the Blades keep telling me that I need to.
My question is: when Delphine tells you to kill him is the mission any different if you point out that he helped? There were two diolouge options and the other was to ask why he needs to die. I chose the question thinking that I could persuade her later, but I couldnt.
Do you absolutely HAVE to kill him to go into the Blades?
That'd just be stupid, right? o_O

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
she says the same thing no matter your choice, problem I am having was I had same moral argument so i discussed it with party involved he/it said it was wise but I tryed and he/it won't die

Rena

He won't die? I had that convo toobut afterwards I stood there for 10 mins trying to attack him and couldnt bring myself to do it :sadface: I like him

Shew

update use a sword and he will die

kyln

If only I cared
yes. you have to kill him in order to progress wih the blades. the grreybeards will never speak to you again and you will never be welcomed at high hrothgar again.

Rena

Well that's stupid! The Blades are stupid :sadface: I don't want to kill him. But what more can the Greybreads do for you? Nothing. I don't know what goes on in the Blades but I'm sure it goes somewhere.

Shew

the blades will help fight dragons if you wish, don't kill him the greybeards are more help than the blades. My next playthrough I am talking with him but not killing him

Rena

greybeards will tell you locations of undiscovered shouts.
:sadface: I could look them up online...is it possible do get that AND kill him? I've found quite a few by myself. In the wild and while doingother quests. Especially in the guilds.

renswic

:sadface: I could look them up online...is it possible do get that AND kill him? I've found quite a few by myself. In the wild and while doingother quests. Especially in the guilds.

If I reamember right each graybeard will only tell you 10 locations. There is plenty of other ways to find the words if you kill the dragon.

The greybeards greatly annoyed me. I'm thinking of just cleaning house but my luck they will be unkillable.

kyln

If only I cared
the greybeards are more help than the blades. you dont even need help killing dragons after alduin, so they are kind of pointless.

you -do- get to introduce companions to the blades, but thats kind of it from what i know. i think they give you things to do like the greybeards do...

yes you can look up the locations. but some people dont have internet ;p so its nice they put that in there for the hunters like myself

Rena

Hmmm yes but I dont plan on killing Alduin until the very end....by that time I'll have found all the Shouts anyway >_<

JoeReese

Paarthunax has killed, yes, but he has also repented (not after being caught and facing punishment, but of his own accord, and at considerable risk to himself) and has helped the world by assisting in Alduin's overthrow, as well as helping teach others how to use the voice to even the field with the dragons. This is sort of like a defection from a dictatorship. Any prisoner may flip to save their own hide, but the one who turns while they're still riding high, and risks their behind to do so, must have strong convictions. I respect strong convictions. I think that earns him some pardon. If I believed killing him to be truly just, he'd be dead.

So here comes Delphine with 'kill him or we've got nothing to talk about.' Well...my theory on that was two fold.

(a) Upon receipt of any ultimatum, I immediately do precisely the opposite of whatever they wanted done.

(b) The Graybeards basically welcomed you to their home, taught you things, helped you survive. Delphine, has done nothing but use you as muscle for her agenda. What has she ever offered, as opposed to demanding?

Junkie

After Delphine told me to kill him I went & talked to him. He said he understands their desire to have him dead. He also states that ruling over others is in his blood & he has to keep fighting the urge to not be like Alduin. At that point I saved & killed him, I saved in case I changed my mind, which I didn't. Esbern will give you locations to shouts indirectly through a courier, the more often that you use your thuum, the more often he will give you locations. As far as killing him goes, the blades reasoning is , yes he helped but he has also committed atrocities himself. You don't let a serial killer free because he helped you catch another right ?

JoeReese

If that serial killer had, years before you even knew of their existence, realized the nature of their crimes, turned away from killing and begun putting a stop to other serial killers, of their own accord; and has since sequestered themselves to a remote area, far out of society; and still contributes positively toward ridding the world of other killers through a few trusted intermediaries...what would be gained?

JoeReese

The key things here are "of their own accord" and that they have already removed themselves from society. Everybody changes their tune when the noose is tightened, but someone who changes when the noose poses no threat...that is something different. Someone who not only changes, but takes steps to change others and sees to their own removal from society has probably reached a point of being more of an asset than a liability.

Junkie

That was the way I played it on my first couple of characters, but the last one, when I went & talked to Paarthurnax I felt differently. I didn't base my decision on my feelings for the blades or the greybeards. To be honest I disliked the greybeards, they reminded me of the begining of The Boondock Saints, when the Priest says " All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing "

JClarke1953

Okay. I really want to do the Blades questline in Skyrim BUT they want me to kill a certain someone and I don't think that's necessary. They told me to kill Paarthurnax (basically for no reason) and I refused to. Then at the end of the game he disappears and now its IMPOSSIBLE for me to kill him and the Blades keep telling me that I need to.
My question is: when Delphine tells you to kill him is the mission any different if you point out that he helped? There were two diolouge options and the other was to ask why he needs to die. I chose the question thinking that I could persuade her later, but I couldnt.
Do you absolutely HAVE to kill him to go into the Blades?
That'd just be stupid, right? o_O

No you do NOT have to kill Paarthurnax. I didn't, heard no more from the Blades, or from Delphine. And I was even able to go back up via fast-travel to see old Par.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts