New Smithing Leveling Method

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Does this method work effectively?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Skyrim73

I just thought of new way to quickly level smithing to 100. This works both before and after patch 1.5. However, this is only a theory, as I have not attempted this yet. This requires the use of the Fortify Restoration exploit used when making “million damage weapons and armor rating”. Alchemy can also be raised to 100 using this exploit. This exploit can be used to make extremely powerful gear, yet my only intention is to level skills. It is advised to have a decent Alchemy level with a few perks in Alchemy (some of Alchemist, Physician, or Benefactor). It is also helpful to have a high enchanting level and perks, yet it is not necessary if you have a larger quantity of Fortify Restoration ingredients.

Requirements:

·A large quantity of ingredients for Fortify Restoration potions ( more the lower skill in Alchemy)

·Ingredients for Fortify Smithing potions

·Ingredients for Fortify Enchanting potions (optional)

·Gear (ring, necklace, helmet, and gauntlets) to be enchanted with Fortify Alchemy (single set)

·Gear (ring, necklace, body armor, and gauntlets) to be enchanted with Fortify Smithing (single set)

Rewards:

·Level 100 Smithing

·Level 100 Alchemy

1.Enchant your gear with Fortify Alchemy and make a Fortify Restoration potion with the gear equipped. Drink this potion, take off and reequip your alchemy gear. This will boost your enchantments on your gear. Immediately make another Fortify Restoration potion with your stronger gear and drink the new stronger potion. Repeat this process just like the exploit shows.

2.Eventually, you will create a potion so highly valued that it will boost your Alchemy skill straight to 100. Now, drink that Fortify Restoration potion and make an additional Fortify Restoration potion and at least one Fortify Smithing potion. Both of these potions should have an incredibly strong effect. You could also make an incredibly strong Fortify Enchanting potion (to be used in Step 3)

3.Create a regular (as strong as your skill allows you to make with just enchanting) set of Fortify Smithing gear (or use the incredibly powerful Fortify Enchanting potion made in Step 2).

4.Head over to a grindstone and bring a weapon that has not been improved (with its item needed for improvement). Now drink that last incredibly powerful Fortify Restoration potion. Take off and reequip your smithing gear which should be incredibly powerful now too. Also, drink the incredibly powerful Fortify Smithing potion.

5. With your gear on and your Smithing potion active, improve your weapon. This should, in theory, level your smithing drastically. This is because improving weapons and armor at workbenches/grindstones gives you skill increases based on the value added to the item. Since you’re adding a million or more value to the item, your skill should skyrocket. If this does not level you to 100, simply improve more weapons in this manner.

Again, I have not tested this. Please respond with feedback on how it works.

January 19, 2013: Now Tested and Works

Twiffle

get transmute spell, mine ore, turn into gold ore then ingots make gold rings, power level for about an hour, , voala 100 smithing easy. . . . .

Skyrim73

I am aware of the transmute mineral ore method. That's actually what I use now. Its a little tedious to do towards the beginning of the game, and I takes a while to level near the end. If this were to work as planned, it would be possible to level both Alchemy and Smithing in an hour (counting getting all of the materials).

Twiffle

I am aware of the transmute mineral ore method. That's actually what I use now. Its a little tedious to do towards the beginning of the game, and I takes a while to level near the end. If this were to work as planned, it would be possible to level both Alchemy and Smithing in an hour (counting getting all of the materials).

it seems a little long winded, , but, , as im just starting a new playthrough of a merchant/trader i might give it a go just for curiosity sake, , :)

Skyrim73

I just tested it and it works. I was level 26 smithing and used the incredibly powerful smithing potion to improve an iron dagger. I leveled up to 100 in a single improvement.

Twiffle

interesting, , i got side tracked as i discovered what the atronach forge does,

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
So this is legit? I gave up on Smithing a long time ago because I just find leveling it incredibly tedious post-patch. I'm not one for exploits really, but if this actually viable I will more than likely end up using it.

I just hunt, and use the Leather to improve Foresworn armor up to about Dwarven, then I raid their sites for the parts to make their Ingots, and improve their weapons/armor. Then again, I've gotten Smithy up to 100 twice, and never at the beginning of the game so I can walk out of Whiterun with capped out Daedric, and a dagger of Giant Gimping. I do it in increments throughout the game so my gear and level go up together, and I'm never so over powered that the game is boring. I restart often enough making new builds, I don't need to make every single character an unstoppable killing machine that yawns in the face of danger.

Yes, Fort Resto is that powerful. Using it to level smithing is nothing, you can also use it with an Amulet of Talos to reduce your Shout cooldowns to 0, and spam Fusrodah forever. Or, enchant a ring with 100% Magic Resistance, and Fortify Restoration. On 1 ring. Compared to that, just getting more damage is relatively amateur.

Skyrim73

Oh, it is definitely possible to use the exploit to become overpowered. The iron dagger I imporved went from doing 4 damage to 297, and I'm a mage who hasn't even touched a weapon. I only use the exploit to level Alchemy and Smithing. When I make my armor, I only make it as strong as it can be using regular methods.

Oh, it is definitely possible to use the exploit to become overpowered. The iron dagger I imporved went from doing 4 damage to 297, and I'm a mage who hasn't even touched a weapon. I only use the exploit to level Alchemy and Smithing. When I make my armor, I only make it as strong as it can be using regular methods.
Why does a mage who never touches a weapon even need Smithing?

Invader Vin

I guess you must just really love smithing if you do it even for the characters that don't need it.

I don't think it's a matter of whether his character needs it or not, but rather what he simply wants his character to have and of course, the great thing about skyrim is you can build just about any sort of character and still have a viable, enjoyable experience. If he wants a specific armor type for no reason other than that he wants it, how can anyone fault him for that? Plus I take it he doesn't enjoy smithing if he wants to power level through it, which is fine too, it's his game.

I don't think it's a matter of whether his character needs it or not, but rather what he simply wants his character to have and of course, the great thing about skyrim is you can build just about any sort of character and still have a viable, enjoyable experience. If he wants a specific armor type for no reason other than that he wants it, how can anyone fault him for that? Plus I take it he doesn't enjoy smithing if he wants to power level through it, which is fine too, it's his game.
I'm not faulting anyone for anything, I'm just confused, and trying to better understand. To me, I can sum up End Game Armor for mages in 1 word, Dragonhide. That comes with Magic Resistance, and Spell Absorbtion in the same tree, while you don't have to spend half the game running around, mining, smelting, making, and improving items to get it. That's the beauty of playing a Wizard to me, you don't have to bother with all that.

If you want to play a Spellsword, or Battlemage, then run with it. I do the same for myself. I just can't wrap my head around going to all that trouble to make an Armor set for a True Mage who really doesn't need it. It strikes me as a huge waste of time for anything, except getting all your skills up for 80 Perk/Stat points. If you were making it for a Follower/Thralls, then that would make sense, but if any of my Wizard characters did something likeat, it would probably sit in the Chest in the Archmage's Quarters.

Invader Vin

Well I agree with you that perhaps there are more fitting choices that would suit the archetypal view of a mage, but that doesn't mean exceptions don't exist and there are certainly occasional examples of heavily armored mages in fantasy settings. Off the top of my head, what comes to mind are chaos sorcerers from the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Where better for an exception to exist in Skyrim than the player character?

As far as taking the time is concerned, the original intent of this posting was to bring to light a potential method for raising the smithing skill up quickly and according to the original poster, they have apparently succeeded at this. This means they do not have to take all that time raising the smithing skill to 100 and can just nab the armor they want without having to go through as much of a grind or wait for their armor to be available as random loot. The downside of course is that a bunch of perk points will spent on skills that could have been put to use elsewhere, but then again this isn't a game that really punishes you for having a poor build and in fact I myself intentionally play non-optimal builds to increase the challenge.

Personally, I'm more like yourself however, in that I like to take my time to level up smithing so that enemies will level with me accordingly and also because I simply enjoy taking my time with a character but I also think it's a good thing that there are "gamey" ways for folks to achieve the same results if they are uninterested in doing all that.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Why?

To me, it's supposed to be part of the natural progression of the game, to make it realistic. Why even play the game then?

It just seems to be more of that "elite" kiddie mentality that pervades gaming these days. "I wanna win before I even start playing." WTF?

Moris

player.setav smithing 100

So why bother with all that other nonsense? Unless you're on a console. I guess fort rest glitch functions like a very limited and annoying version of command inputs for those who can't do them. But really, if you want to play that way, it'd be better to buy a PC.

player.setav smithing 100

So why bother with all that other nonsense? Unless you're on a console. I guess fort rest glitch functions like a very limited and annoying version of command inputs for those who can't do them. But really, if you want to play that way, it'd be better to buy a PC.
I'm on PC, and yeah, if you just want to jump ahead to the finished character, that's not building, it's stamping them out of a mold. I like a character with Experience, "You remember that time I almost got killed by that Sabercat coming out of Orotheim?" Of course not, because by the time I got there, I had capped out armor, 100 blocking, and bashed him to death without drawing a sword because I'm boss likeat. To me, it's the difference between playing the game, and beating it without playing it. And as mentioned earlier, you'd have to invest in Smithing, which my mages would rather put into something that actually involves Magical effects. Maybe it's just me, but that's what being a mage is all about. If you actually count, there's more than 80 perks in the Mage third of the trees, and I have to wring every last one out to make my efficient builds without investing in something I'll never use, other than theoretically to kit out my Followers/Dead Thralls.

And of course there's Battlemages. I already mentioned them, WHFRPG is a perfect example of them, and there's even Space Wizards in Powered Armor in 40K. I've played one in RunEscape where Heavy Armor makes your magic less effective just because it surprised the hell out of the PKers who thought I was just another Rune Tank. But those are battlemages. I was asking about a Non Battlemage non-Spellsword no weapons and armor Wizard. Now, my question still is, what use would one of them possibly have for "Endgame Armor?" I can't ask any more frankly than that.

Moris

I'm on PC, and yeah, if you just want to jump ahead to the finished character, that's not building, it's stamping them out of a mold. I like a character with Experience, "You remember that time I almost got killed by that Sabercat coming out of Orotheim?" Of course not, because by the time I got there, I had capped out armor, 100 blocking, and bashed him to death without drawing a sword because I'm boss likeat. To me, it's the difference between playing the game, and beating it without playing it. And as mentioned earlier, you'd have to invest in Smithing, which my mages would rather put into something that actually involves Magical effects. Maybe it's just me, but that's what being a mage is all about. If you actually count, there's more than 80 perks in the Mage third of the trees, and I have to wring every last one out to make my efficient builds without investing in something I'll never use, other than theoretically to kit out my Followers/Dead Thralls.

And of course there's Battlemages. I already mentioned them, WHFRPG is a perfect example of them, and there's even Space Wizards in Powered Armor in 40K. I've played one in RunEscape where Heavy Armor makes your magic less effective just because it surprised the hell out of the PKers who thought I was just another Rune Tank. But those are battlemages. I was asking about a Non Battlemage non-Spellsword no weapons and armor Wizard. Now, my question still is, what use would one of them possibly have for "Endgame Armor?" I can't ask any more frankly than that.

Beautiful sermon, but you're preaching to the choir! :)

ETA: Re-reading I think maybe you were just agreeing with the sarcasm in my post. Ooops. Sorry.

I don't use glitches because I like to play the game. I was merely pointing out that if you DO like to play that way, it's best to play on a PC because then you don't have to go through all this annoying stuff.

I DO use the console to add all kinds of stuff to my character when I'm working on making videos, and I'm usually in godmode then anyway. But that's not playing.

In any case, I love the detail you put into the posts about your builds.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts