• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hadji-el-halef

Hey guys,
I'm studying special needs education and want to write
an essay about moral decisions in role-playing games concerning people with disabilities.
One of the first characters I could think of was Narfi.
I would love to have some kind of statistic on how people interacted with him.
It would be great if you could take the time and do my little survey.
If you have any other ideas on characters, also in other games, I could use that would be great too.
Could be any kind of disability, like mental, psychic or deafness, blindness, or a physical handicap.
Although I'm not looking for those ones with those sci-fi styled prothesis as in mass effect and others.
Thanks a lot for taking the time.
I'll post the survey as soon as possible, it seems I can't post any links before I haven't done 4 posts and received a like, so please be so good and give me one ;)
I am really looking forward to see the results and again thanks for your help!!!

hadji-el-halef

i wanted to actally embed it on this forum, but alright, here we go
surveymonkey.c(delete this in the brackets)om/r/LK6XTXN
i had to put in those brackets or it wolud have rrecognised the link

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm always nice to Narfi and find his sister's necklace for him.

Yes, he's irritating and I can see why the town gives him a wide berth, but I understand about mental illness.

The fact that you have to murder him in cold blood and never know who it is that put out the contract always chafed my hide.

I understand that I'm doing my job as a member of the Dark Brotherhood by fulfilling the contract, but, if I knew who had it in for such an innocent, I would make it a point to take them out too.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
I always HATED the fact that he was a Dark Brotherhood mark. But at the same time it adds weight to a game which doesn't have enough weight as it is. It makes you commit to being evil.

hadji-el-halef

I don't consider it an evil act. Aside from doing it just to make money, I feel like it was an act of kindness. He was miserable, even before he realized he's alone. Afterwards, it would've been worse. Besides, he was a cannibal.
Was he really a cannibal? Has he got human flesh in his inventory or what do you base that on?

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
If I am role-playing a member of the Dark Brotherhood.. I kill him with no qualms at all. After all.. I am an evil murderous bitch. I have also killed him just for the fun of it if I am doing an Oblivion Walker Character... you know.. being all evil and possessed by several Daedric Princes.

If I am playing a nice character, I help him draw closure to losing his sister.

Other characters, generally don't take any notice of him or avoid him.

It all depends on who I am playing at the time.

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
Was he really a cannibal? Has he got human flesh in his inventory or what do you base that on?
Part of the reward he gives you for telling him about his sister (whether you lie or not) is a human heart. Now, he's piss poor, he doesn't have the money to go to an alchemist's shop and buy such a thing for a simple reward, so he had to have gotten it from somewhere. Perhaps he went up the mountain a bit and took the heart from one of the hunters who fell to the bear, but that's a lot of risk for a meager reward. So, yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a cannibal.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
He's a creepy fella alright. But I always felt remorseful. Was he always like this? Even when his sister was around? Did he crack at the seams and started seeing things or hearing things because of his grief?

I never really had the heart to tell him she was coming back. Or rather, my character's didn't. I believe one did give him false hope that she would come back. Can't remember what character that was. If my character could say more I would wish they would say, "I'm sorry Narfi, she's gone.. But she loves you and wishes you well." Instead of just saying, "Narfi... Reyda is dead."

What really broke me was this dialogue:

"With father I said goodbye... with mother I said goodbye. Reyda leaves and Narfi can't say goodbye. Makes Narfi very, very sad. Narfi needs Reyda to say goodbye."

If I could actually be in the game, I would tell him the truth. Not only that, but I'd bust my back and gather her remains from the river, take it back to the house along with her satchel, and help Narfi bury her so he could say 'goodbye'. That way she can always be close by. Even if she's not really there.

That, and having a family member at the bottom of a creek isn't exactly pleasant for closure..

Staff member
Part of the reward he gives you for telling him about his sister (whether you lie or not) is a human heart. Now, he's piss poor, he doesn't have the money to go to an alchemist's shop and buy such a thing for a simple reward, so he had to have gotten it from somewhere. Perhaps he went up the mountain a bit and took the heart from one of the hunters who fell to the bear, but that's a lot of risk for a meager reward. So, yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a cannibal.
This makes me want to play Skyrim again.

Staff member
Since I can't continue New Vegas until Dabs tells me who to kill, I think I WILL play Skyrim!

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo

Sah

"With father I said goodbye... with mother I said goodbye. Reyda leaves and Narfi can't say goodbye. Makes Narfi very, very sad. Narfi needs Reyda to say goodbye."

Reyda is the one you are doing the contract for.........yes you do find her body in the river and you collect her amulet..........but that can be faked........it make the most logical sense.........mom & dad gone so why would she stick around to look after a disabled brother...........even better why not kill him so he cant lay claims to any inheritance...............or simply the cold harsh reality of that we get rid of what dose not fit into the BIGGER PICTURE.

second scenario.............after you find Reydas amulet or after you take out Narfi out for the brotherhood quest he rewards you with HUMAN flesh & a Human heart...........so is Narfi a cannibal? did he eat Reyda and dumped her body in the river?.........is he capable of pulling of the perfect murder?......but then that dose not explain the contract?.........why would any one want to kill him?

the issue here is not the story but how we ourselves act out our part in it................most of the Deadric quest pose ethical dilemmas...........you beat a priest into submission & the kill him, then you lure a priest to be sacrificed and then eat him............or the one that you have to kill your friends to make the ebony blade powerful............how many people did all theses things saying its only just a game & I want to get all the trophies on my accomplishments.......its right here that we are confronted with a very cold reality......WHO really has the disability...?

how we justifies this is what matters
yes some time we say I told a small lie..............BUT a lie is a lie.............big or small it dose not matter
there is no big or small when it comes to ethics................BUT in saying that it will also show how Big or Small we are in our own decisions........and how determined we are to act them out.

People today on Earth a very willing to play out theses scenarios............Atrocity & cold blooded murder of innocence is now part of our lives..........as long as they have a banner to call there own & hide under gives these people a reason.......... that they are fighting for .............whatever it may be.........no one remembers any more ................JUST STOP the insanity

a small note about children in Skyrim...........Bethesda made sure they are protected, you cant kill a child or pickpocket one either......so it should be!
BUT you can download MODS that remove this protection from Bethesda.......with these MOD you can kill children! the question is WHY?

as a Dragonborn you run around Skyrim doing quests...............has anyone looked at there combat page to see how many people they have killed around level 50..........You will have killed over 1000 souls..........then look at the days passed and you will se something very weird........its taken you only 2 month skyrim time to kill all these people......that works out to an average 16 kills per day..............so where is the ethics in this?

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts