• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
There has been quite a few posts, especially of late, asking about who you can marry & who you can't marry.

So if you are wondering just how does one get married then I think you might find this guide helpful.

Obtaining the Amulet of Mara

The Amulet of Mara can be bought from Maramal for 200 Gold. He can be found at either the Bee and Barb or the Temple of Mara in Riften.

Can be found as random loot.

Can be found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar directly behind the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

Can be found in a chest in Blackreach on the balcony of a Structure south of the Alftand Cathedral, there are 2 Falmer patrolling on it.

Can be looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den.

Can be looted from a Chest with a Master lock in Calcelmo's Tower, which is accessible during the Thieves Guild Quest: Hard Answers.

Received for completing The Book of Love Quest.

Marriage must still be discussed with Maramal before proposing, if the amulet is obtained without talking to him.

Proposing

Maramal must be spoken to about marriage in Skyrim before any dialog related to the Amulet of Mara shows up. The new dialogue is unlocked with certain NPCs if you are both wearing the amulet and have met the requirement relating to them, usually a quest. You can then express your wish to marry the person. Once that is done, you can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara about arranging the wedding.

Wedding Ceremony

The time to start a ceremony takes approximately 24 hours. Maramal alludes to the ceremony time being constrained between dawn and dusk, however the ceremony can happen at any given hour of the day. During the ceremony you have one last chance to change your mind to the marriage before the ceremony proceeds.
NPCs for whom the player has previously completed quests may appear at the wedding ceremony as guests.

If you miss the Wedding Ceremony, you can approach the intended partner and ask for another chance. Maramal will then agree to host another ceremony, the next day.

Married Life

After the Marriage, the partner will ask where you want to live, giving you the choice between the partner's house or in one of your homes.
The behavior of the spouse changes from the single character once married. Tone of voice and behavior changes, they often refer to the player as "love" or "dear" from that point on. However, if You marry one of your housecarls, they will sometimes refer to you as their Thane using subordinate dialogue.
If your spouse relocates to a different city from where they originated, to live in one of your houses, they may indicate that they wish to become a shop owner to keep occupied while the player is adventuring.

If you wish to relocate the spouse to a different home, (either another one of your houses or the spouse's own original home), this can be done so at any time via a dialogue option.

Once a day,you can ask your spouse to cook something for them. They will make a Homemade Meal that increases the regeneration of magicka, health, and stamina.

If you sleep in the house with their spouse, you will receive a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort that boosts the rate of skill-learning by 15% for 8 hours. However, this bonus cannot be obtained if Lover Stone is activated, or if the Blood Ritual has been taken to become a Werewolf.

Note: Because partners act as vendors, you can buy and sell items from them. However, if they are asked to follow you, they will only sell you items from their inventory until you both part ways. Spouses only act as merchants in the marital home, meaning items cannot be sold to them in a dungeon, to reduce the carry weight, for instance.

Eligible Spouses

Females

Spouse - Race - Occupation - Location - Requirements

Aela the Huntress - Nord - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Aeri - Nord - Lumberjack - Anga's Mill, The Pale - Chopping firewood for her.

Anwen - Redguard - Priestess - Temple of Dibella, Markarth. - Completion of the Temple Quest: The Heart of Dibella

Avrusa Sarethi - Dark Elf - Farmer - Sarethi Farm, The Rift.

Borghak the Steel Heart - Orc - Warrior - Mor Khazgur, The Reach. - Paying her dowry or convincing her to leave her home.

Brelyna Maryon - Dark Elf - Student - College of Winterhold, Winterhold - Completion of Brelyna's Practice.

Camilla Valerius - Imperial - Merchant - Riverwood Trader, Riverwood - Completion of The Golden Claw.

Dravynea the Stoneweaver - Dark Elf - Mage - Kynesgrove, Eastmarch. - Providing her with one Frost Salt.

Ghorza gra Bagol - Orc - Blacksmith - Blacksmith Shed, Markarth. - Providing her with The Last Scabbard of Akrash.

Gilfre - Imperial - Miller - Mixwater Mill, Eastmarch. - Working for her by chopping firewood.

HillundNordWarriorBujold’s Retreat / Thirsk Mead Hall - Complete Retaking Thirsk and collect 50 Riekling Spears for her.

Iona - Nord - Housecarl - Honeyside, Riften. - Becoming Thane of The Rift.

Jenassa - Dark Elf - Hireling - Drunken Huntsman, Whiterun. - Hiring her.

Jordis the Sword Maiden - Nord - Housecarl - Housecarl, Proudspire Manor, Solitude. - Becoming Thane of Solitude.

Lydia - Nord - Housecarl - Whiterun - Become Thane in Whiterun after killing first Dragon

Mjoll the Lioness - Nord - Adventurer Riften. - Retrieving her sword Grimsever from the Dwemer ruins of Mzinchaleft.

MorwenNordSkaalSkaal Village - Freeing the Skaal, After delivering her mothers amulet to Runil in Falkreath.

Muiri - Breton - Alchemist - The Hag’s Cure, Markarth. - Completion of Mourning Never Comes. NOTE: Both targets must be killed to gain Muiri's affection.

Njada Stone Arm - Nord - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Orla - Nord - Priestess - Temple of Dibella, Markarth. - Completion of the Temple Quest: The Heart of Dibella
Ria - Imperial - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Senna - Breton - Priestess - Temple of Dibella, Markarth. - Completion of The Heart of Dibella.

Shahvee - Argonian - Dockworker - Argonian Assemblage, Windhelm. - Married by recovering the Amulet of Zenithar and returning it to her. NOTE: She may be killed in the Quest Blood on the Ice, so it is suggested that she is married before starting this quest.

Sylgja - Nord - Miner - Shor's Stone, The Rift. - Her satchel must be delivered to her father in Darkwater Crossing, then returned to her.

Taarie - Altmer - Solitude - Elisif the Fair must be visited while wearing the outfit she provides, before returning to her to tell her what happened.

Temba Wide-Arm - Nord - Miller - Ivarstead, The Rift. - 10 bear pelts must be given to her.

Uthgerd the Unbroken - Nord - Hireling - Found in her house in Whiterun. - She must be bested in a brawl battle.

Viola Giordano - Imperial - Busybody - Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm. - Revyn Sadri's favor must be started, but he must be ratted out to Viola.

Ysolda - Nord - Citizen - Open Market, Whiterun. - A Mammoth Tusk must be given to her.

Males

Spouse - Race - Occupation - Location - Requirements

Ainethach - Breton - Mine Owner - Karthwasten, The Reach.

Angrenor - Once-Honored Nord - Beggar - Candelhearth Hall, Windhelm. - He must be given a gold piece.

Argis the Bulwark - Nord - Housecarl - Vlindrel Hall, Markarth. - Becoming Thane of Markarth.

Athis - Dark Elf - Companion - Jorrvaskr Living Quarters, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Balimund - Nord - Blacksmith - The Scorched Hammer, Riften. - Must be given 10 Fire Salts.

Belrand - Nord - Hireling - The Winking Skeever, Solitude. - Must be hired.

Benor - Nord - Warrior - Morthal. - Winning a brawl against him.

Calder - Nord - Housecarl - Hjerim, Windhelm. - Becoming Thane of Eastmarch.

Cosnach - Breton - Drunk/Porter - Silver Blood Inn, Markarth. - Must be challenged to a brawl and bested.

Derkeethus - Argonian - Fisherman - Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch. - Must be rescued.

Erik the Slayer - Nord - Barbarian - Frostfruit Inn, Rorikstead - Hiring him. Note: Sometimes the choice for marriage doesn't appears in the dialogues. It is a bug.

Farkas (Vilkas' Twin)- Nord - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Filnjar - Nord - Blacksmith - Shor's Stone, The Rift. - Completion of the Quest Mine or Yours.

Gat gro-Shargakh - Orc - Miner - Left Hand Mine / Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach. - Completion of the favor to Pavo Attius to liberate Kolskeggr Mine.

Ghorbash the Iron Hand - Orc - Warrior - Burguk's Longhouse, Dushnikh Yal, The Reach - Pay his dowery or convince him to leave.

Halbarn Iron-FurNordBlacksmith - Bujold’s Retreat / Thirsk Mead Hall - Complete Retaking Thirsk and Halbarn's Supplies.

Marcurio - Imperial - Hireling - Bee and Barb, Riften. - Hiring him.

Moth gro-Bagol - Orc - Blacksmith - Understone Keep, Markarth.

Octieve San - Breton - Citizen - Solitude. Frequently found in and around the Winking Skeever. - Convincing the gamblers to let him off his debts

Omluag - Breton - Miner - Markath Smelter, Markarth. - Mulush must be talked to about the smelters.

Odfel - Nord - Miner - Shor's Stone.

Onmund - Nord - Student - The Hall of Attainment, College of Winterhold.

Pavo Attius - Imperial - Miner - Left Hand Mine / Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach. - Completion of his favor to liberate Kolskeggre Mine.

Perth - Breton - Miner - Soljund's Sinkhole, The Reach. - Clearing Soljund's Sinkhole of Draugr.

Quintus Navale - Imperial - Alchemist - The White Phial, Windhelm. - Completion of the Quest Repairing the Phial

Revyn Sadri - Dark Elf - Merchant - Sadri's Used Wares, Windhelm. - Bringing back stolen ring from shop's stock to Windhelm inhabitant

Roggi Knot-Beard - Nord - Miner - Steamscorch Mine, Kynesgrove Eastmarch.

Romlyn Dreth - Dark Elf - Meadery Worker - Black,Briar Meadery, Riften.

Scouts-Many-Marshes - Argonian - Dockworker - Argonian Assemblage in Windhelm. - Talking to Torbjorn Shatter-Shield about the Argonian dock workers.

Sondas Drenim - Dark Elf - Miner - Goldenrock Mine, Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch.

Sorex Vinius - Imperial - Assistant Innkeeper - Winking Skeever, Solitude. - Delivering kegs of rum to Falk Firebeard at the Blue Palace.

Stenvar - Nord - Hireling - Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm. - Hiring him.

Torvar - Nord - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. - Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Vilkas (Farkas' Twin) - Nord - Companion - Jorrvaskr, Whiterun.- Completion of The Companion's Quest Glory of the Dead.

Vorstag - Nord - Hireling - Silver Blood Inn, Markarth. - Hiring him

Wilhelm - Nord - Innkeeper - Vilemyr Inn, Ivarstead, The Rift. - Completion of the Dungeon Quest Wilhelm's Scream.

Footnotes:

• I have been working on this Guide since December last year, over 12 characters & countless hours & countless mugs of coffee.
  • I hope that I have covered it all & I would like to thank Bethesda again for supplying the information about Lydia & making it possible to marry Lydia with the 1.5 Patch.
  • I would also like to thank one friend of mine in particular ( Damn She's Hot....lol ) that I had discussed writing this Guide with late last year and after much talking she were going to write this Guide instead of me & then forgetting about the whole thing. I waited & waited for it to happen while I wrote other Guides & Tutorials but this Guide never appeared.
  • It's been a long tiring process loading & reloading saves & many sleepless nights while trying to complete this Guide. So I hope you all enjoy it....
Cheers.......

Chryss

I married Balimund the Blacksmith from Riften. I moved him into my house in Riften thinking he would continue smithing. WRONG!!!! It broke my heart to see him moving from one chair to another, never leaving the house so we moved to his house. He went back outside and was a happy smithy but his wife wasnt happy because he only has a single bed. needless to say, i stopped to say hi at his anvil and collected my half of the profits and went back to my house.

So, when you marry someone that has a business already and move them to your house, they abandon their station. :sadface:

Reactions: Lin

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I have just confirmed it, with the 1.5 Patch you can now marry Lydia.

Really detailed guide, thanks. A lot of work has obviously gone into it. Off to marry Mjoll based on what I've learned here as she suits my build (and her voice is sexy). Thanks again.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I used my current character which is level 81 that I've been using for the last couple of weeks. I just equipped the Amulet of Mara & went & saw Lydia.

Maxlength

I married Viola.....not sure where she is though. Plus, a man asked me to marry him?! Sorry, not my type..haha

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
LOL

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I married Ysolda just for the Xbox Achievement then reloaded an earlier save.

daTomoT

I am the Listener..of your screams.
I'm actually working on a Mod that will include a few of each gender Khajiit and Argonains for marriage. :Dragonborn:

enfiniti

Excellent guide. Just want to point out a thing about the lover's comfort(this may only be on the pc version, but this won't hurt to do on xbox or ps3) you may or may not get the lover's comfort bonus unless you have visited your spouse's home first. So the safest thing to do is at the first prompting of where you guys will live always choose your spouse's house first. Go there, visit your spouse's place, and then tell them to move to one of the homes that you've purchased.

Bira96

The game won't let me get married. Quite litterlay. I tried talking to Maramal and clicked (As in, hit the the X button, I don't have it for PC) on the dialouge option, "Could I have a wedding ceremony?" Or something like that. Maramal said of course, but nothing happened. Even when I did wear the amulet of mara, not one of the potential spouses I already helped out would give me the dialouge option to tie the knot. I am sorry if I am supposed to put this in the help section, but I guess it's a bug I don't really care about because everyone I am intrested in isn't marriable anyway. Why, Betheseda, why?!

ChevyGirl

Breton Assassin Lv 35
The game won't let me get married. Quite litterlay. I tried talking to Maramal and clicked (As in, hit the the X button, I don't have it for PC) on the dialouge option, "Could I have a wedding ceremony?" Or something like that. Maramal said of course, but nothing happened. Even when I did wear the amulet of mara, not one of the potential spouses I already helped out would give me the dialouge option to tie the knot. I am sorry if I am supposed to put this in the help section, but I guess it's a bug I don't really care about because everyone I am intrested in isn't marriable anyway. Why, Betheseda, why?!

Lol you sound like me. Everyone that I like can't be married and I had this problem to with not having an option to select the dialogue for one of the chosen marriageable people. I just gave up and made a new character. Usually every time I run into these stupid glitches I get so aggravated I start again. There's not much I can do to fix it for the Xbox. Lol

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I can confirm yes on that.

Arn Magnus

Great guide. I still havnt managed to obtain an amulet of mara and marry anyone yet despite countless hours of gameplay. Everytime I switch on with the intention of trying it out I always get distracted during my walk to riften by one thing or another :sadface:

Jo-Shu

I married Muiri and married life is bliss...except for one thing. She never sleeps! Is it possible to share a bed at any point with your spouse??

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts