PC Markath Guards wont give up. Glitch, Help is needed.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

7007King0770

This glitch is simple to explain, but I have no idea how to fix it. Whenever I got to Markarth the guards say the "You have committed crimes against Markarth, conspiracy, yatta yatta" from the Forsworn Conspiracy Quest-line. The thing is, I've completed that quest-line. I escaped with the prisoners, and the quest says that the forsworn have taken responsibility for my crimes. When I Submit to be taken into prison, nothing happens. I don't teleport to the prison, instead the conversation of what crimes have I committed question comes up. So does anyone know how to fix this rather annoying bug that keeps me from going to markath safely?

Aeriene

I just finished that quest-line. The guards seems to act fine in the city, though when I've walked into the Talos Temple, the guards stopped me and they had the same dialogue as during the quest, also when I left the temple all the guards were after me, so killing guys inside wasn't enough. I decided not to go there anymore, I hope other quests won't require it. Did you went to the temple too? Or they just won't stop attacking? I wasn't back to this city yet, I have to check if they'll want to arrest me now too.

Reactions: ted

Aeriene

Found this on The Elder Scrolls Wiki:
"Xbox 360 and PC: It is possible that after completing this quest, guards will still try to arrest you for murder and conspiracy against Markarth. If this happens, hit the B button, and he will stop talking to you. (Confirmed)"
"Xbox 360: It is possible that after completion of this quest, guards will reapeatedly attempt to arrest you; the option to go to jail results in the conversation starting over, and pressing "B" will only result in the guards becoming hostile towards the PC. It is possible to act within the city as you can exit the conversation after submitting to arrest without the guards becoming hostile, however, guards will still initiate the conversation after a short period of time. Interaction with NPC's will turn guards hostile. (Confirmed)"
maybe this will help.

Shreeji

I am actually having this problem in riverwood (correct me if i am wrong i just got the game still learning). My bounty is only 12 seriously 12....only a lvl 3 almost 4 and while i was doing some smithing quests after handing in the golden dragon claw, by the time i got to the 4th quest making the hide helmet, i had 3 guards walk in and just corner me then as i ran out the villagers started to attack me. These weren't the normal guards either more bigger and more armored. I heard to cycle through 3 days and it resolves the issue but it keeps happening i also hear its a glitch. I got to hand in the quest in whiterun and i'm not willing to keep going into a place full of guards waiting to kill me. i would pay the 12 coins but they wont talk to me or give me a chance. So any help in this area?

I play on PC is that matters

Aeriene

I'm not sure what do you mean by not normal guards, but from what I've know they can be hired guys by a person you've stolen from. Arcadia sent three men after me when I broke into her house and stolen couple things. Also she might have seen me, but I left the house before she said anything.
Not sure if that's your case, I think you would probably manage if this were thoose guys.

Shreeji

they just looked different more armored then the normal patrol guards i see also i have never seen these guards in riverwood they walked in and came straight towards me. I saw them while i was smithing and my mind went 'oh plops'. I didn't steal anything important and when i did i made sure i was hidden. Like i said my bounty is only 12. And what i do steal i make sure to sell it to some neutral party never at the same place like the khajits outside whiterun.

Aeriene

I had no bounty from the beggining of the game, so it doesn't matter. Did they said anything? When the hired guys approached me, one of them said "we're here to teach you a lesson". Do you play on PC? if yes, you can use "kill" command on the console and check if one of them has a letter that would explain if the case was stealing something.

Shreeji

all they said was were gonna take you in for what you did, then the villagers just went hostel on me calling me thief and basically chased me out of town.

I am gonna go back in skyrim after dinner maybe things have changed and ill let another 3 days pass and go into whiterun. I will post what happens afterwards.

P.S. Thanks for trying to help bro, wish i knew the names and such but i have trouble remember names especially early into the game.

Aeriene

The dialogue suggest that they're not the hired guys, so maybe it is a bug after all. Ok, and no problem :)

7007King0770

Found this on The Elder Scrolls Wiki:
"Xbox 360 and PC: It is possible that after completing this quest, guards will still try to arrest you for murder and conspiracy against Markarth. If this happens, hit the B button, and he will stop talking to you. (Confirmed)"
"Xbox 360: It is possible that after completion of this quest, guards will reapeatedly attempt to arrest you; the option to go to jail results in the conversation starting over, and pressing "B" will only result in the guards becoming hostile towards the PC. It is possible to act within the city as you can exit the conversation after submitting to arrest without the guards becoming hostile, however, guards will still initiate the conversation after a short period of time. Interaction with NPC's will turn guards hostile. (Confirmed)"
maybe this will help.

This is on Xbox 360, how do I fix the problem for PC? More accurately, how do I fix the problem at all? I wonder if the reason this is still happening is because the prisoners who escaped, didn't leave the city. Instead they hung around killing this random imperial guy who showed up. Every Time the imperial guy went down, he got back up, and they basically spawn camped him. Never leaving the city, until I left and came back to find this glitch in were the guards act the same way before completing the quest.

Shreeji

The dialogue suggest that they're not the hired guys, so maybe it is a bug after all. Ok, and no problem :)

well it turned out it was hired thugs, this time they were waiting outside whiterun rather then being able to get in. also the guards helped lol. Not sure who sent them to kill me...

I am still confused why the villagers started attacking me though the first time in riverwood.

Aeriene

This is on Xbox 360, how do I fix the problem for PC? More accurately, how do I fix the problem at all? I wonder if the reason this is still happening is because the prisoners who escaped, didn't leave the city. Instead they hung around killing this random imperial guy who showed up. Every Time the imperial guy went down, he got back up, and they basically spawn camped him. Never leaving the city, until I left and came back to find this glitch in were the guards act the same way before completing the quest.
The first solution should work on the PC too. But if it doesn't I think some console command could help. In oblivion we had the payfine command, but i checked it and skyrim doesn't have it anymore. For me stopcombat also don't work when I enter the Talos Temple where the quest guards are...
I reccomand you searching for the console command that is similar to payfine, I think I've already seen somebody mentioning it, unfortunatelly I can't find this discussion right now. I remember that payfine even worked for beasts, so it doesn't only remove your fine, it generally should stop combat.
well it turned out it was hired thugs, this time they were waiting outside whiterun rather then being able to get in. also the guards helped lol. Not sure who sent them to kill me...

I am still confused why the villagers started attacking me though the first time in riverwood.
As I mentioned one of the guys should have the letter from the person who hired them. It will be signed by this person name.

7007King0770

The first solution should work on the PC too. But if it doesn't I think some console command could help. In oblivion we had the payfine command, but i checked it and skyrim doesn't have it anymore. For me stopcombat also don't work when I enter the Talos Temple where the quest guards are...
I reccomand you searching for the console command that is similar to payfine, I think I've already seen somebody mentioning it, unfortunatelly I can't find this discussion right now. I remember that payfine even worked for beasts, so it doesn't only remove your fine, it generally should stop combat.

As I mentioned one of the guys should have the letter from the person who hired them. It will be signed by this person name.

What it mean hit the B button? I have to hit the B key on my keyboard?

Tuna Town

Yup same problem here.... *Spoiler Alert* I ran away from the guards and was able to teleport to Windhelm to avoid Markarth, only to have my faithful Companions attack me as I walk through the door. The spoiler is seeing Skjorn in the house atttacking me as well! How messed is my game? I'd really like to keep on trucking with my 50+ hours.

Rena

EXACTLY!!! I had this problem too!!! I have know idea how to fix it and didn't really try to. I just stayed away from the town and as soon as I beat the main quest I started the game over.

7007King0770

I've searched and this is a common bug it seems. It will probably be fixed in the next patch but until then it seems the only way to fix it is to get the Stormcloaks to take over Markarth.

Shanzoko

Well another question is I'm having this problem as well and the guy for the abandon house isn't showing up so I can't do the quest "House of Horror". And it is the only daedric artifact i have left to get. After using the stormcloaks to take over does the man to the abandon house show back up?

7007King0770

Well another question is I'm having this problem as well and the guy for the abandon house isn't showing up so I can't do the quest "House of Horror". And it is the only daedric artifact i have left to get. After using the stormcloaks to take over does the man to the abandon house show back up?

No, and yes. He shows up at a certain time in the day, I forgot what it was though.By the way, I found him right outside the Inn. The first time I came to that city from the front gates (rather then my first arrival drunk and raping a statue of the goddess of beauty.)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts